26 replies to this topic

#1 Hendrix1983

Hendrix1983

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 06:15 PM

What's everyone think is easier or cheaper turbo engine to stick into a gen 3 lib wagon

1) wrx single turbo

2) b4 twin turbo

Or na h6 conversion....

#2 Robert

Robert

Brappp

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,419 posts
  • Interests:Door Frames

Posted 01 November 2013 - 06:19 PM

This is the order i would put it in     H6 is harder to fit 

Wrx

H6

Aids

#3 jakefake

jakefake

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 06:51 PM

WRX

H6

GAYASAIDS

But I would Just buy an H6 outback because its already done and stock. And I would almost just buy a wrx wagon as its already done and stock. 

#4 Adam

Adam

Snack down!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,970 posts
  • Interests:Not knowing things about stuff

Posted 01 November 2013 - 06:54 PM

B4 = loom swap
Wrx = loom splice
H6 = loom swap depending on engine plus some shit if you want to make it manual.

Posted Image

#5 Robert

Robert

Brappp

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,419 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 06:55 PM

If your up for a challenge, go nuts and put a wrx engine in. So much more potential compared to an h6.

Or you could just buy a wrx or H6 outback/later liberty as mentioned. Much easier  

#6 Robert

Robert

Brappp

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,419 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 06:57 PM

H6 = loom swap depending on engine plus some shit if you want to make it manual.

H6 would be swap and splice, and engine mounts moved??(not actually sure about that)

since they didn't come with manual, the ecu can lose its shit there is something you can do to make it better.

#7 Scuba-Roo

Scuba-Roo

The local

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,960 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 12:38 AM

According to bobbyjimmy engine cross members are the same between the h6 and na2.5L

Subyclub, The place where random internet weirdos become good mates

#8 Hendrix1983

Hendrix1983

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 05:34 AM

According to bobbyjimmy engine cross members are the same between the h6 and na2.5L

Is the cross member from the liberty ej20 the same as the wrx ej20t?

The wrx loom splice is my biggest concern, wouldn't a b4 conversion just be plug and play?

I know a huge amount of guys hate the tt setup, but I'm not one if them, would prefer a single turbo setup, but if the tt is an easier conversion.....

#9 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,458 posts
  • Interests:Docking

Posted 02 November 2013 - 07:30 AM

The wrx loom splice is my biggest concern, wouldn't a b4 conversion just be plug and play?

Send the loom up to AM auto and pay them to splice it

tIeW8DE.png

#10 Scuba-Roo

Scuba-Roo

The local

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,960 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 08:03 AM

Is the cross member from the liberty ej20 the same as the wrx ej20t?

I know a huge amount of guys hate the tt setup, but I'm not one if them, would prefer a single turbo setup, but if the tt is an easier conversion.....

If their turbo then yes, if you go a TT set up you need a TT crossmember.

Bosskong did a b4 swap to his rx. He'll be your best bet for advice.

My thoughts are if your going to the trouble swap engine and gearboxes, exhausts and wiring looms you might aswell swap it to the best upgrade you can afford.

Subyclub, The place where random internet weirdos become good mates

#11 sbv

sbv

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 09:34 AM

B4 conversion is easy plug and play. Not hard to do it yourself with basic mechanical skills. I quite enjoy the drive of the TT.

That said, if you are looking for bigger power, do the wrx conversion to begin with.

#12 Guest_KONG_*

Guest_KONG_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 November 2013 - 10:01 AM

TT conversion is pretty far from just plug and play.

No offence,
You might be handy with the tools but with virtually no knowledge on conversion processes you would be in for a massive shit fight.

There is so much involved.

Best decision you could make is to avoid it all together. I'm not saying you couldn't do it but if you think it's as easy as just transplanting an engine and plugging in a few wires then you are sadly mistaken.

#13 Cam.

Cam.

OEM+

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,906 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 10:52 AM

Just sell it and buy a wrx or h6 powered something.

Don't go within 10 feet of a tt.

Converted cars have the worst resale and you have a really small target market when the time comes to sell.

And what happens when you get pulled over and sent to EPA? A total shit fight, That's what.

Asb2OgK.jpg?1

#14 Tim.

Tim.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,024 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 11:07 AM

@Joshkong - It really depends on how much of the cut you get. Mine was quite simple as the cut was complete and running. Time consuming yes, but it was just a matter of unbolting from the RSK and bolting into the RX. Basically a re-shell.

There were a few small differences that if you didn't have all the parts, would make the job quite difficult.

#15 bigboyscottyb

bigboyscottyb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 11:36 AM

here is the best thing to do

buy this from Ben at Ichiban

http://www.ebay.com....=item4d138cbfd0

do your conversion, and a single turbo conversion whilst your stripping the half cut*

then smile, for id say close to $5k you will have a fast car and a fair few trick bits which makes a great platform!!!

*this is what I would of done if I kept my h6, personally the h6 was nice but nothing is better than turbo!!!

#16 Guest_KONG_*

Guest_KONG_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 November 2013 - 12:56 PM

@Joshkong - It really depends on how much of the cut you get. Mine was quite simple as the cut was complete and running. Time consuming yes, but it was just a matter of unbolting from the RSK and bolting into the RX. Basically a re-shell.

There were a few small differences that if you didn't have all the parts, would make the job quite difficult.

You are right Tim.

It does basically come down to what you have to work with initially and I guess that is the main thing that needs to be recognised here.

The only sensible way to do a TT conversion is with a Half cut at minimum and as you said, even then there will be extras that need to be tracked down and purchased.

A couple of things that made it interesting for me were it was also an auto to manual conversion and Rev A to Rev D.  There were some differences in wiring and plug shapes in regards to Rev A and Rev D. 

To call it a plug and play conversion IMO is misleading.

It is the easiest out of the three possible conversions listed by far....

but not as simple as plug and play would suggest.

That's the point I was trying to make.

#17 Guest_KONG_*

Guest_KONG_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 November 2013 - 01:05 PM

here is the best thing to do

buy this from Ben at Ichiban

http://www.ebay.com....=item4d138cbfd0

do your conversion, and a single turbo conversion whilst your stripping the half cut*

then smile, for id say close to $5k you will have a fast car and a fair few trick bits which makes a great platform!!!

*this is what I would of done if I kept my h6, personally the h6 was nice but nothing is better than turbo!!!

No Scotty NO!

That's MINE! lol

A cut like that would be a perfect starting point.

Swap the entire front loom, ECU, crossmember if needed, radiator, ABS unit, brake master, dash, cluster,  diff etc.

Low k's are such a bonus too.

Pretty much then just need to sort the exhaust and fuel pump.

Added bilstein struts for goodness.

GO!

#18 Hendrix1983

Hendrix1983

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 02:07 PM

That's pretty much what I'm looking at. I'm no tuner but have mates that are, who knows, not trying to start fights just gather info....

#19 Guest_KONG_*

Guest_KONG_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 November 2013 - 02:32 PM

Nah you got us all wrong mate.

We no fight or argue  :D

All the guys here might have different opinions sure, but we all love this type of shit and love sharing what we know.  

Getting the information out there, If you please.

Doing a conversion is a very rewarding thing. The whole experience has it's ups and downs, much research is needed and you learn heaps along the way.

But for any one of us to just list the process would take us forever!

If you are going down the conversion route you need to comprehend that there are many pros & cons and contributing factors that need to be taken into consideration before heading down the oily path.  A lot of them have been brought up here already.

If you do your research and get a good cut you'll be right. Plenty people here can offer advice.

I have had my experience and it's not one I would want to do again. I love my car to bits. But it's an easy decision for me because...

been there, done that.

;)

#20 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Stereos, Electrical

Posted 02 November 2013 - 03:15 PM

Would recommend giving car and whatever you are going to fit to Al and Miles at AM Auto, and let them do the work. Engine conversion cost me 10k (there abouts), with new clutch, alarm and dump pipe.

I did however have a TT to start with, so most of the little things I needed were already there. Even then the receipt covered over half a page in parts I didnt have.

Cheers,

Ben

MY00 Red RX, a nice daily that was sold off once the B4 became reliable...
MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY03 White/Silver H6 Outback, donor car for silver waghoon.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users