• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 bigboyscottyb

bigboyscottyb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 07:21 PM

Personally, if you want to learn what makes a subaru tick, go, stop etc and want some basic very helpful knowledge to fix your own problems and not have to send it someone else to fix, do a conversion, for $10k your could do your own conversion and go hit up thailand for a month

#22 sbv

sbv

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 10:07 PM

Only thing not plug and play about my conversion was I had to wire in the sunroof - not difficult.

Apart from service items only things I had to buy aside from the half cut were exhaust and rear diff because the half cut had a 4.44 and my outback had a 4.11 final drive. Get a cut with ratios matching you centre diff and your laughing. Both diff and exhaust were plug and play.

I chose to do a few other bits and pieces along the way too, but the conversion itself, while being pretty time consuming was not difficult and I'm no mechanic (accountant actually). As Scotty has said, a great way to get your head around how everything works.

#23 Hendrix1983

Hendrix1983

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 07:40 PM

Nah you got us all wrong mate.

We no fight or argue  :D

All the guys here might have different opinions sure, but we all love this type of shit and love sharing what we know.  
Getting the information out there, If you please.
Doing a conversion is a very rewarding thing. The whole experience has it's ups and downs, much research is needed and you learn heaps along the way.

But for any one of us to just list the process would take us forever!

If you are going down the conversion route you need to comprehend that there are many pros & cons and contributing factors that need to be taken into consideration before heading down the oily path.  A lot of them have been brought up here already.

If you do your research and get a good cut you'll be right. Plenty people here can offer advice.

I have had my experience and it's not one I would want to do again. I love my car to bits. But it's an easy decision for me because...

been there, done that.

;)

The main reason I'm looking at a conversion is that for under 10k you won't get much of a wrx or turbo car, but my lib wagon is great and with a 10k conversion would be a fantastic car....

#24 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 11:13 PM

Stacks of turbo Subarus on Carsales under 10k.

If i could give my opinion, having done a conversion and pulled EJ's in and out of my Subarus like it was going out of fashion, don't do it.

Unless you have all the time in the world, a big space to do it and another car as a run about, consider it. There are many unseen hitches and problems that will come up, some things can halt progress for an entire day, even weeks. Don't think it's something you can knock over on a weekend with your mates and drive it to work on Monday. Doesnt happen.

In saying this though, preparation is the key to a (mostly) painless conversion. Like i said, you need a large and clear working space with all the necessary tools, small boxes to sort parts into etc, list goes on. Also, to add to the cost, your going to want to have that engine cleaned up and running sweet before it even goes into your car. Things like timing belts, seals, gaskets, fluids, water pumps and any rubber hoses should all be replaced during the conversion aswell. This will save you time and money later on and any headaches.

I know once everyone is off their P's and wants to pop their turbo cherry, any quick solutions are considered. If i could give any advice, don't try tackle a conversion unless you have the resources and time/ space to do so. Save your coin for something already done. The $3-5k you spend on a conversion you could save and put towards something like a tidy B4 or an early WRX. B4's can be had for around the 10k mark these days and a bargain might pop up too. Save your cash, when your ready, put your car on the market, sell it and avoid the nightmares, colourful language, tool throwing, bolt snapping, knuckle grazing, car kicking conversion awfulness.

'04 Liberty GT Premium "The Sprog Chariot"

#25 Hendrix1983

Hendrix1983

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 03:52 PM

Giving it to someone else, drive in - drive out kinda takes all the fun out of though right?
Does the b4 tt have forged internals?

#26 nickknack

nickknack

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 04:14 PM

Giving it to someone else, drive in - drive out kinda takes all the fun out of though right?
Does the b4 tt have forged internals?

Forged in the depths of mordor by mystical dwarves from metals unknown to mankind, and then quenched in unicorn blood.

#27 Adam

Adam

Snack down!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,970 posts
  • Interests:Not knowing things about stuff

Posted 11 November 2013 - 04:23 PM

Too bad they didn't get the ecu tuned there :D

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users