65 replies to this topic

#1 krazynayba

krazynayba

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 11:43 PM

Hi all,

So today I took my B4 to S&J Automotive in SA for a minor service and ecutek type 3 tune. I was incredibly excited at the prospect of 30kW of extra power and better responsiveness/fuel economy and couldn't wait til it was done so I could have a nice drive. Part way through the tune apparently the power curve readouts weren't coming out right. After getting the power tuned up by 30kW, in each subsequent power run the power decreased each time by about 5kW until the guy started to hear the knocking noise which he said would be a con rod bearing. The engine was shut off almost immediately after the sound was heard, and until taking it to get tuned I have not once heard a similar sound come from my engine.

The tune and the service together come to around $1800 and I have saved months to be able to afford this. Apparently now I am up for $3k to get the bearing replaced, and they said that was doing it as cheap as they can. I called my other mechanic who mentioned that it can be replaced or I could try and purchase a new short block and have it fitted.

I'm stuck in a bit of a dilemma as the B4 was my daily drive, so I can't afford to have it off the road for too long. If anyone could give any advice on what I should do in this situation I would very, very much appreciate it! Keep in mind that I'm on part-time wages and can't afford to break the bank, but that I still want to do enough to significantly reduce the risk of anything similar occurring in future.

The way I see it:

1. Bearing replacement - Possibly more affordable, could uncover other problems in the bottom end that will need repairing at the same time which may raise the cost.

2. New short block - I'm guessing pricier but would avoid discovering any additional problems when trying to repair the bearing (less risk involved).

TL;DR - Took car for tune, tuning brought out knock sound (said to be a con rod bearing), haven't heard sound before the tune, need to know what to do now.

Thanks for reading and I look forward to any suggestions!

#2 cameron

cameron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 11:45 PM

call ichiban get a replacement motor put that in. quickest most cost effective way

Have you put any more thought into squeezing some more power out of the engine. Like strapping on one of those intake fans

#3 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Stereos, Electrical

Posted 05 November 2013 - 05:23 AM

If he's had it tuned by S&J's. I'd say its unfeasible to get it to Ichibans. Fair drive from SA with a busted car, and transport isnt cheap. Get the motor from them, have it shipped to Seans, and have them fit it. Quickest route possible given its a daily drive. Compare the pirce to the replacement bearing.

Getting the bearing replaced will save a lot of hassles, and 3k is very cheap. Will possibly need a new set of rods (as I dont think you can get one). Probably the best option here (but not the cheapest), but check with Sean what is included in that price and what is excluded.

Cheapest by a long shot will be a S/H long motor, with your cam gear/crank pully put on by Sean, and all bolt ons taken off your engine and put on the newish one. Will need retuning (or at least some checking) to suit the new motor, as the second hand engine is an unknown. Work completed by yourself. Not great idea time wise, but you learn a lot. Done this myself as well.

When this happened to me, it was $8,020. New short motor, gasket kits, timing belt, water pump, clutch, MLS head gaskets, head cleaning etc. So a bit more than just a drop in replacement motor. It wasnt done during tuning though. Sean must be loosing his touch...

MY00 Red RX, a nice daily that was sold off once the B4 became reliable...
MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY03 White/Silver H6 Outback, donor car for silver waghoon.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#4 Guest_KONG_*

Guest_KONG_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2013 - 06:48 AM

Oh dear.

What a horrible position to be in.

#5 Delete This Account

Delete This Account

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,635 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 08:16 AM

That sucks mate! I have a lot of respect for the boys at S&J and they have done brilliant work to my car every time.

That's just really unlucky the engine went during tuning. Surely they can be semi-liable as they were driving it at the time?

That really shows you how the B4's can do big end bearings at any time. 

#6 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts
  • Interests:Taking a poo

Posted 05 November 2013 - 08:27 AM

Wow that sucks - feel for you, mate!

Single turbo conversion?

IM47Gcv.jpg

#7 skillionaire

skillionaire

Mr. Freshley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 08:28 AM

Insurance?

#8 Delete This Account

Delete This Account

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,635 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 08:29 AM

Single turbo conversion?

and spend more money it sounds like he doesn't have?

Just go the standard rebuild mate. :)

Insurance?

I have never heard of insurance covering mechanical failure. Unless it goes under S&J's business insurance somehow.

#9 skillionaire

skillionaire

Mr. Freshley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 08:35 AM

Hi,

I have claimed insurance on engine failure twice.

Cheers,

Nik

#10 aekOne

aekOne

Boss Pelican

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,349 posts
  • Interests:Regulating

Posted 05 November 2013 - 08:36 AM

the guys at XSFlow just replaced a guys engine in a S15 due to mechanical failure that was covered by the customers insurance. Obviously depends on your policy but his insurance company footed the 12k bill for a replacement built motor

: My Liberty :

signature_1_35.jpg

#11 skillionaire

skillionaire

Mr. Freshley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 08:38 AM

Hi,

Yeah, it depends on your policy I guess, but it's definitely the first thing I would be investigating.

Cheers,

Nik

#12 Delete This Account

Delete This Account

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,635 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 08:39 AM

Wow, I had no idea you could do that.  Was that with Shannon's or a special policy including mechanical failure? 

#13 skillionaire

skillionaire

Mr. Freshley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 08:42 AM

Hi,

Elders for both.

Cheers,

Nik

#14 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts
  • Interests:Taking a poo

Posted 05 November 2013 - 08:42 AM

The AAMI assessor I took mine to was talking to me about some dude who had his Ford 'Exploder's' enjin replaced 3 times due to failure - all through insurance.

I'd definitely check out that route. The excess would be considerably less than the rebuild.

IM47Gcv.jpg

#15 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Stereos, Electrical

Posted 05 November 2013 - 09:02 AM

Wow. Would be an good route to take. I just never thought it would be possible. If the insurance is footing the bill, I'd be going a new short motor if possible. Depends how the policy is worded and how carefully the assessor looks at it I suppose. Wish I knew this when mine went.

MY00 Red RX, a nice daily that was sold off once the B4 became reliable...
MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY03 White/Silver H6 Outback, donor car for silver waghoon.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#16 SAV84C

SAV84C

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,480 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 09:29 AM

Hi,

Elders for both.

Cheers,
Nik

I just had a quick read of the PIP for elders... This is wat it states... U got a special deal Nik :scratch_one-s_head:

Page 43

We will not pay for:
1.Damage to Your Motor Vehicle’s tyres caused by application of brakes, road punctures, cuts or bursting, unless caused as a result of an Accident covered under the type of cover you have selected or by people acting maliciously;

2.loss of or Damage to Your Motor Vehicle:
a.due to depreciation, wear, tear, rust or corrosion;

b.or any resultant mechanical Damage:
 i.due to failure or breakdown of a structural, electrical, mechanical or electronic nature;

http://www.eldersins...08-06-11-sg.pdf

#17 skillionaire

skillionaire

Mr. Freshley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 09:30 AM

Hi,

No worries, I guess I drove here in an imaginary ute this morning.

Cheers,

Nik

#18 Tim.

Tim.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,024 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 09:34 AM

I also rate S&J so you've gone to the right place. It's very unfortunate but when the engine's are pushed, that's usually when you reveal other issues.

No two B4s will ever behave the same way - they are a rare beast.

#19 Robert

Robert

Brappp

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,419 posts
  • Interests:Door Frames

Posted 05 November 2013 - 09:36 AM

Hi,

No worries, I guess I drove here in an imaginary ute this morning.

Cheers,

Nik

The ute still exists, but it has a broken engine. You must have pushed it :P

#20 SAV84C

SAV84C

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,480 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 09:44 AM

Nik I wasnt implying your imagining anything... I was just stating wat is in the PIP...

U got a good deal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users