• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 MrSober88

MrSober88

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 971 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 08:26 PM

Anyone know what might be making my Horn not work?

I had someone nearly run me off the road and was a little upset my horn didnt work.

Went home checked the fuse in the engine bay and nothing wrong with it so replaced anyway and still not working. Have also had the airbag light come on and stay on for the drive home, not sure if the two are linked. took the airbag off to check wires and seem to be fine also.

Any help much appreceated.

#2 jack_keaka

jack_keaka

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:I was saying "boo-urns"

Posted 05 January 2014 - 08:33 PM

16_4f1f6c7220b85.jpg??

seriously though, when my A/C stopped working, the fuse that was not working wasn't the one labelled under "A/C" it was something completely different. id suggest systematically checking all the fuses before anything else.

#3 MrSober88

MrSober88

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 971 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 01:58 PM

Lol, I have done some digging and heard that it could be the clock spring could be the issue as I am getting the Airbag light also. Makes sense as I have noticed it only comes on when full lock the steering wheel.

#4 CodeBurn3r

CodeBurn3r

Resident Mexican

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 02:45 PM

airbag light would tell me its the clockspring.. ~$88 from a wrecker..

i did this during my conversion.. idiot move but yeah.. 

check your brake lights.. if they don't work its a fuse.. horn and brake lights are on the same circuit.. 

(trust me.. nobody believes it but they are.. no brake lights.. no horn)

ams: "Can't live with them, can't throw rocks at them."

#5 MrSober88

MrSober88

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 971 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 02:52 PM

airbag light would tell me its the clockspring.. ~$88 from a wrecker..

i did this during my conversion.. idiot move but yeah.. 

check your brake lights.. if they don't work its a fuse.. horn and brake lights are on the same circuit.. 

(trust me.. nobody believes it but they are.. no brake lights.. no horn)

Yeah I never heard of it before, but yes I think I didnt make sure it was centre when I put the steering wheel back on. I never really thought about it, just assumed it free spun. Silly me.

#6 MrSober88

MrSober88

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 971 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 02:57 PM

Quick question, would it be best to dissconnect the airbag? Like is there a chance it may set it off if the wire inside the clock spring is broken?

#7 Richo

Richo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,765 posts
  • Interests:Not the internet

Posted 06 January 2014 - 03:00 PM

Horn can also be a pinched/snapped wire from the clock spring to said fuse. thats a fun one..  does your cruise control work ? the horn and cruise control (set, acc/coast) switch uses the same wire

Stuff goes here

#8 jack_keaka

jack_keaka

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 03:19 PM

If you disconnect the battery the airbag shouldn't go off.

Yeah I forget about that spring issue. Sounds about right.

Don't get me started on fuses, I found out the A/C control is not on the same fuse as the actual A/C unit. Mirrors and A/C controls and cigarette lighter are on the same fuse. It's labeled under "cigar mirrors". Took me 3 boiling hot days to figure out!!

#9 CodeBurn3r

CodeBurn3r

Resident Mexican

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 03:52 PM

haha yeah.. i had the problem where everytime i used my AC my dash lights and radio would turn off...

then i found if i used my mirrors my radio and dash lights would turn off..

then i found if the ciggy lighter was not plugged in (phone charger) and my AC turned on then my car would almost stall..

was some random fuse... 

also 3 stinking hot days of WTF!

ams: "Can't live with them, can't throw rocks at them."

#10 MrSober88

MrSober88

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 971 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 03:51 PM

Horn can also be a pinched/snapped wire from the clock spring to said fuse. thats a fun one..  does your cruise control work ? the horn and cruise control (set, acc/coast) switch uses the same wire

Doesn't have the cruise control hooked up as it has a WRX conversion and needs the wire extended to reach the throttle body.But the button still lights up saying its on.

If you disconnect the battery the airbag shouldn't go off.

Yeah I forget about that spring issue. Sounds about right.

Don't get me started on fuses, I found out the A/C control is not on the same fuse as the actual A/C unit. Mirrors and A/C controls and cigarette lighter are on the same fuse. It's labeled under "cigar mirrors". Took me 3 boiling hot days to figure out!!

I was meaning more about driving the car around until the clockspring is replaced. is it a good idea to disconnect the airbag if the wiring is stuff inside the clockspring.

#11 RX25SE

RX25SE

...............Car nerd................ now a H6 pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts
  • Interests:Cars with chrome bumpers!

Posted 07 January 2014 - 04:56 PM

Clock spring most lilely, seeing as you didnt set it l to centre when you removed the wheel. :)

If I told you I was a compulsive liar, would you believe me?

#12 jack_keaka

jack_keaka

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 06:55 PM

Oh, I dunno, I've never driven one with a stuffed clock spring... Not sure on that one. I probably wouldnt

#13 MrSober88

MrSober88

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 971 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:27 PM

Clock spring most lilely, seeing as you didnt set it l to centre when you removed the wheel. :)

Yeah I think thats the issue as the airbag light doesn't come one straight away, only when the wheel has been turned full lock left. Plus I took the wheel off today to have a look and it doesn't really have a end anymore so looks like its gone beyond the point it was meant to. So for sure the clockspring is what it is, i only half read the lable and thought I just had to make sure top was at the top lol.

Oh, I dunno, I've never driven one with a stuffed clock spring... Not sure on that one. I probably wouldnt

For now I have just disconnected the airbag in the steering wheel to be sure it wont go off if it shorts out or something. Have already sourced a new one so won't be like that for long.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users