61 replies to this topic

#1 WillC

WillC

Scrappy Coco the 2nd! Disc0 Disc0

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts
  • Interests:Suby, HOONda, Chasing magical unicorns, turbos. Fruit loops
    Most things with a pulse. Most things that tick and have electric.

Posted 14 February 2009 - 08:22 PM

Hi Guy, Been wondering what was really under the hood a bit of googling didn't help at all, does anyone actually know what is inside the EJ20TT ? i'm trying to find out if its got forged internals? any info would be sweet

Toy's Garry

Address : 8/88 Seville Street
Fairfield East NSW 2161
PH : (02) 9755 9882

#2 Xon

Xon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 08:52 PM

Believe the B4 is "semi forged". I don't know what is and what isn't forged though :D

I would have gone to the kitchen, collected a brown bag, dropped my dacks, pinched off a loaf in said bag, done up dacks, stickytaped bag, placed bag in envelope, and mailed it right to your face for being such a tool.

It's ok, sometimes when we herp, we also derp.

#3 Evil_VZ-T

Evil_VZ-T

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 11:13 PM

Yes, They do have "Factory forged pistons".. These are better than standard WRX ones, But not as good as aftermarket ones. They are also Open deck blocks
MY02 Liberty B4

#4 Hypnotic

Hypnotic

Everything you see is an hallucination

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,835 posts
  • Interests:long walks behind abandoned buildings.

Posted 15 February 2009 - 01:27 AM

Forgive my ignorance yet again and apologise for the slight hyjack of thread (as im slightly intoxicated) however "open deck blocks"? please elaborate as im still trying to grasp lingo of certain things

As soon as she hands it to you, slowly take of your pants, then, while staring her straight in the eyes rub it against the tip of you penis, while continuing your painfully intense gaze whisper to her;

"My eye is watering, this might be a bit hot"

I should just convert to single, right?

Horsepower Factory

Revzone Auto Tuning Centre

#5 DukeNik'em

DukeNik'em

Car Sl#t

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,662 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 02:04 AM

Forgive my ignorance yet again and apologise for the slight hyjack of thread (as im slightly intoxicated) however "open deck blocks"? please elaborate as im still trying to grasp lingo of certain things

Just picture a veranda for your engine.

"closed deck: the cylinders are bored out of the block, the cylinder may have a liner of a hard/low friction metal

open deck: the cylinder is a seperate piece; its walls are freestanding, located by th block at the base, and the cylinder head at the top. Coolant thus circulates the entire cylinder (most hondas use this design)"

EJ20TT is schmick though, not as good as EJ25T, :P.

If thy tint is dark and thy wheels are black thou car be declared b11tchin'

So you can run it on 6psi with an rx fuel pump? :P

#6 Dylan

Dylan

Almost gen2 time.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,236 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 03:03 AM

Perfectly welcomed question.

http://www.cgperform...ubaru_block.htm should help you. Has a good description of it.

Closed Deck:
Posted Image

Semi-Closed (think STi):
Posted Image

Open Deck:
Posted Image

#7 WillC

WillC

Scrappy Coco the 2nd! Disc0 Disc0

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts
  • Interests:Suby, HOONda, Chasing magical unicorns, turbos. Fruit loops
    Most things with a pulse. Most things that tick and have electric.

Posted 15 February 2009 - 12:12 PM

I see, it seems as the full closed deck vs open deck might have its pros and cons. Although it looks stronger and how does it work for cooling ?

Toy's Garry

Address : 8/88 Seville Street
Fairfield East NSW 2161
PH : (02) 9755 9882

#8 B4TT

B4TT

Soviet Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,547 posts
  • Interests:Rodina-Mat

Posted 15 February 2009 - 01:52 PM

:D Molybdenum coated Forged pistons are the ones in the B4.. and your right they are not as good as after-market forgies...which I now have. The Exhaust valves are sodium filled.

#9 Soop

Soop

Suck, squeeze, bang, blow.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 01:55 PM

Should have filled them with rainbows and leprechauns.
TSM

#10 Jeff

Jeff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • Interests:Lee

Posted 15 February 2009 - 03:14 PM

Should have filled them with rainbows and leprechauns.

Mine are Soop..... thats where all my power comes from..... the leprechauns at the end of the rainbows

Just Married

#11 DukeNik'em

DukeNik'em

Car Sl#t

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,662 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 03:26 PM

I see, it seems as the full closed deck vs open deck might have its pros and cons.

Although it looks stronger and how does it work for cooling ?

The open deck allows for coolant between the cylinder walls and the block, where as the closed deck uses a liner to ease the friction and assist movement. Closed decks are thought to be more stable as they are bored out of the block, not having there own free standing walls. But of course cooling is a lot easier for your open deck.

Nick

#12 Soop

Soop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 04:29 PM

It'll make little to no difference in the cooling ability. Engines have been closed deck since the time of the dinosaurs.
TSM

#13 DukeNik'em

DukeNik'em

Car Sl#t

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,662 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 04:54 PM

It'll make little to no difference in the cooling ability.

Engines have been closed deck since the time of the dinosaurs.

Really I've never seen anyone want to change from one to the other, or complain that they'd rather the other, it's just a boring engineering detail. 4 out of 5 people wouldn't know the difference, nor care anyway. The internals, now thats another story.

Nick

#14 Soop

Soop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 05:12 PM

Closed deck will suit a high performance far more. For a starter the bores wont split under high loads. Close decking and sleeving an engine is the way to go if you're looking for high performance and durability.
TSM

#15 DukeNik'em

DukeNik'em

Car Sl#t

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,662 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 05:18 PM

Closed deck will suit a high performance far more. For a starter the bores wont split under high loads.
Close decking and sleeving an engine is the way to go if you're looking for high performance and durability.

My understanding was that closed deck was the norm, and open deck was a later development, with the added cooling ability. I agree that closed is definitely stronger and being sleeved is an obvious advantage, but I guess open doesn't require a sleeve if it's walls are full of coolant.

Hey B4's are DOHC aren't they?

Nick

#16 Jeff

Jeff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • Interests:Lee

Posted 15 February 2009 - 05:23 PM

Hey B4's are DOHC aren't they?

Nick

Yes

Just Married

#17 Soop

Soop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 05:30 PM

IIRC the only Subaru block that was CD'd as standard was the RS block and the USDM EJ22-t. The closed deck makes exactly d**k difference to cooling. (Higher power levels acheived with the added ability to run higher levels of boost will obviously result in higher engine temps, and therefore a higher need for a better performing cooling system.) The sleeves have nothing to do with cooling. The essentially reinforce the bore walls, to avoid "ovaling" and cracking.
TSM

#18 DukeNik'em

DukeNik'em

Car Sl#t

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,662 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 05:37 PM

IIRC the only Subaru block that was CD'd as standard was the RS block and the USDM EJ22-t.

The closed deck makes exactly d**k difference to cooling. (Higher power levels acheived with the added ability to run higher levels of boost will obviously result in higher engine temps, and therefore a higher need for a better performing cooling system.)

The sleeves have nothing to do with cooling. The essentially reinforce the bore walls, to avoid "ovaling" and cracking.

But sleeves also lower the friction,which in turn lowers the amount of heat put out by the movement of the pistons. I see that the new STi short block is semi-open like Dylan posted above, I'm guessing this would allow for ample cooling but still give the stability of a closed deck.

Nick

#19 Soop

Soop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 05:42 PM

Sleeves don't lower the friction. How the hell did you come to that conclusion? They act exactly the same was as the original bore walls do! If you have polished bores the rings wont seal. Which is generally pretty ordinary for performance.
TSM

#20 Xon

Xon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 05:45 PM

Nik.... The bores on a closed deck block are not bored out of a solid block of metal. They are cast using a mould. Could you imagine the cost of getting one big solid piece of metal and CNC'ing the entire thing in to an engine? Not to mention the MASSIVE amount of metal that would be wasted...

I would have gone to the kitchen, collected a brown bag, dropped my dacks, pinched off a loaf in said bag, done up dacks, stickytaped bag, placed bag in envelope, and mailed it right to your face for being such a tool.

It's ok, sometimes when we herp, we also derp.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users