#1 skillionaire

skillionaire

Mr. Freshley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 07:34 AM

Hi,

Every now and then something 'boring' that effects us all happens. So we make a thread about it. Same as the Election threads, there is to be no hazing, and I promise to try and stay relevant and no biased.

//

So.

I think one to get out of the way quickly is the 'massive tax hike on petrol' which will really pinch us all hard. The reality is, the revised 'tax' equals exactly one cent per litre, per year. So the price now, in two years time, whatever the price is, two cents per litre will be due to what just happened.

One thing that probably effects every single person on here, is those born after 1965 won't be eligible for a pension until the age of 70.

I have heard/seen some news reports already this morning, they are all pushing different forms of doom and gloom. If there is something that you heard and wanted clarified, we can do our best to help you out!

00.jpg

Cheers,

Nik

#2 Bumpty

Bumpty

My wob dreams are now wet dreams

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,489 posts
  • Interests:Drinking wine with wob by the legacy side

Posted 14 May 2014 - 07:50 AM

I think it's disgusting that foreign aid is having $7.6billion cut.

And that we have asked Cambodia to take on some of our Refugees.... <- this has got me FORKED!?

SERIOUSLY FORKED!!

#3 Shiv

Shiv

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,741 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 07:51 AM

How much does petrol go up each year? 

liftbacktestCustom3_zps39c01efc.jpg

#4 skillionaire

skillionaire

Mr. Freshley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 07:56 AM

Hi,

1c/L per year, Shiv.

Cheers,

Nik

#5 JRod

JRod

The artist formally known as 988OXR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:00 AM

Bumpty, with the view that opinions are like bumholes in the sense that everyone has one, I do hear your opinion. My view however, is that before we can look after anyone else, we need to rebuild our own economy so we are in a much better position in the future to provide to others. It seems heartless, but that is just business in the end.

Posted Image

As soon as i mentioned 300kw I was in trouble :)

#6 skillionaire

skillionaire

Mr. Freshley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:02 AM

And that we have asked Cambodia to take on some of our Refugees.... <- this has got me FORKED!?

SERIOUSLY FORKED!!

Hi,

Foreign aid is I think the second biggest cut to the whole budget, it does seem odd at a time when we're trying to push refugees on other countries. The idea is to look after us first, and we can't really argue with that.

The idea that Australia can afford to be dishing it out to the world is simply untrue.

Cheers,

Nik

#7 Guest_KONG_*

Guest_KONG_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:11 AM

Pip pip!

Agreed.

It's not as brutal as I expected it to be TBH.

#8 skillionaire

skillionaire

Mr. Freshley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:14 AM

Hi,

Soft is what I'd call it.

Cheers,

Nik

#9 B4TT

B4TT

Soviet Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,547 posts
  • Interests:Rodina-Mat

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:15 AM

Bumpty, with the view that opinions are like bumholes in the sense that everyone has one, I do hear your opinion. My view however, is that before we can look after anyone else, we need to rebuild our own economy so we are in a much better position in the future to provide to others. It seems heartless, but that is just business in the end.

Yep, totally agree.

We are the ones paying the tax, look after us first, get our shit in order then we can start to look after others.

#10 Bumpty

Bumpty

My wob dreams are now wet dreams

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,489 posts
  • Interests:Drinking wine with wob by the legacy side

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:16 AM

I agree.
But I disagree we aren't in that position now.

Now this argument will slowly but surely, spiral into - are we in a debt emergency which I'm not interested in having haha.
So, I'll leave this as a commet.

- I am still interested to hear opinions on why sending our refugees to Cambodia is a good idea :)
Julie B has told me, and I'm still not convinced..

#11 B4TT

B4TT

Soviet Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,547 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:16 AM

How much does petrol go up each year? 

Less than your average daily fluctuations.

For instance, in my car if I let the thing hit the fuel light and then went and filled up I would expect to pay an addition 60-70c for the full tank.

Meh.

#12 Shaz

Shaz

Differential Studios

• SC Videographer
  • 23,188 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:23 AM

Disagree JRod, 

There is nothing wrong with our economy. I am certainly no expert in these matters, but considering we have 4 of the worlds 8 AAA+ rated banks, a national government debt GDP vs other countries rated one of the top 3 in the world, I don't think the cuts that have happened really need to happen. There is such a strong focus on bringing the budget back into surplus because its viewed as a wildly important factor, when realistically, its not as important as some of the things that have been cut. Putting the budget back into surplus will allow the RBA to cut rates, and keep inflation contained to a limit, but at what cost does it come?

Increasing the pension age to 70 is a joke. Sure, in my industry for example, you probably could work to the age of 70, but someone working in the blue collar industry, could you imagine lifting motors into cars at the age of 70, or laying bricks in the hot sun at age 70? I mean c'mon, its not possible. 

Allowing unis to set their own fees is dangerous. It will be interesting to see moving forward if there is any evidence of third line forcing.

2% increase in tax on those earning $180k+ isn't a bad thing IMO.

Cuts to Renewable Energy for the sake of $1.7 billion is ridiculous, so is the cuts to CSIRO and ANSTO to the tune of $146m.

Foreign aid cuts, while I can see that they are trying to look after our backyard first, $7.9B in cuts is HUGE.

A $12B purchase for new fighter jets is just a stupid move.

Making it harder to obtain unemployment benefits is a good move. It should hopefully push people into employment. 

Making it harder for people with a disability to claim is idiotic. How can you expect someone with a severe disability to work? That makes no sense to me, but alas, no cuts to the NDIS is a good thing. 

TL;DR - IMO, there has been cuts and tax hikes on things that shouldn't be cut, to improve an economy that is already in tip top shape compared to peers. 

Thumbs down from me, even though there isn't really many changes that affect me.

I put up with people from amnesty, red cross and now the cancer council almost daily hounding me!! Throw in the greens, green peace, unhcr, save the forking children and I've well and truly hit my limit for the number of fuckstains wanting me to sign something or give money. Seriously cubts,  :fork: right off.

#13 B4TT

B4TT

Soviet Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,547 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:26 AM

I wouldn't say debt emergency as much as I would say we need to get our revenue deficit under control - we are spending more each year than we are bringing in, not saying it is an emergency but it is certainly something that you need to bring under control - like anything, you cannot expect to run at a loss forever and expect there to be no consequences, that is what the Greeks did (no I am not suggesting we are anywhere near being in such a bad position as them, but we don't want to head that way either which is where deficit after deficit leads you).

As for the refugees, I don't really have much of an opinion regarding Cambodia. I would rather we stopped people coming here by boat by using deterrence methods such as that and increase our uptake from UNHCR camps where thousands and thousands of genuine refugees face immediate threats and terrible conditions as opposed to those who have trekked through several countries where they face little to no danger to get to Australia.

Making it harder for people with a disability to claim is idiotic. How can you expect someone with a severe disability to work? That makes no sense to me, but alas, no cuts to the NDIS is a good thing. 

People with a genuine disability need not be worried, it is those arsehats that are claiming it who shouldn't be that need to be worried, anyone who thinks this doesn't occur is freaking naive.

#14 skillionaire

skillionaire

Mr. Freshley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:30 AM

I agree.
But I disagree we aren't in that position now.

Now this argument will slowly but surely, spiral into - are we in a debt emergency which I'm not interested in having haha.
So, I'll leave this as a commet.

- I am still interested to hear opinions on why sending our refugees to Cambodia is a good idea :)
Julie B has told me, and I'm still not convinced..

Hi,

Correct, not RIGHT now - but from the IMF;

Increase in spending growth 2012-18(a)

30278Left.png

Making it harder for young unemployed is fine, because at the same time they are injecting into trade services. Also, 25hr a week work for the dole? Finally. Though policing that will probably cost more than not having it at all...!

I have no problem with education costing more for tertiary, as Uni graduates on average earn about a million dollars more across their lifetime. If UNI's charge more to those that can afford it, even more will be syphoned into the scholarship/assistance program for those that can't - to even it out in a fair way. 

The pension age increase is more symbolic, as people will retire earlier under the REAL big thorn in the side, super.

At least every single MP will be paying the 2% extra, also, they have frozen their wages for two years across the board. 

The disability pension getting more 'hoops to jump through' seems cruel, but from what we know, there a lot of LTU's that are indeed capable.

Cambodian refugee debate is WELL off topic.

Cheers,

Nik

#15 Scuba-Roo

Scuba-Roo

The local

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,960 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:39 AM

Budget didnt affect me at all really. So im glad :)

The pension age to 70 is stupid in my opinion. I can assure you theirs no way i'll be doing this job when im 60+ Hardly seems fair with the amount of tax i'll pay between now and then but we cant have everything our way.

Subyclub, The place where random internet weirdos become good mates

#16 B4TT

B4TT

Soviet Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,547 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:42 AM

The pension age to 70 is stupid in my opinion. 

I do agree with this statement.

#17 skillionaire

skillionaire

Mr. Freshley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:46 AM

Hi,

I'm sure by 2035 (when it will happen) - we will all have had a good twenty years to be prepared for it. The Restart program for over 50's will see opportunities for those that as stated will no longer be lugging motors around workshops to still be gainfully employed. If it makes dollar sense to employ older people, better believe the big boys will make it work.

Cheers,

Nik

#18 B4TT

B4TT

Soviet Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,547 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:47 AM

There is nothing wrong with our economy. I am certainly no expert in these matters, but considering we have 4 of the worlds 8 AAA+ rated banks, a national government debt GDP vs other countries rated one of the top 3 in the world,

Cuts to Renewable Energy for the sake of $1.7 billion is ridiculous, so is the cuts to CSIRO and ANSTO to the tune of $146m.

First point I do disagree on, you can only maintain spending more than you bring in for so long before it bights you in the arse, budget deficit is not the same as the government debt.

The US is in trouble because of their large budget deficits that keep leading to more and more debt that looks increasingly difficult to pay off. fork heading down that road.

Agree on what you said about cuts to the Renewable Energry and CSIRO, I like those things and think they could have produced some good shit down the track, the CSIRO is a very valuable organisation.

#19 Beckers

Beckers

OMAR Cubt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
  • Interests:Docking and eating dry meat, Living lyf in the TT VOD

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:52 AM

SERIOUSLY FORKED!!

About time I say, cuts everywhere else, so foreign aid is far game !

#20 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,458 posts
  • Interests:Docking

Posted 14 May 2014 - 09:07 AM

Cheers for the break down Nik.

Was a little concerned about the Uni fees aspect but it doesnt kick in till im finished haha, Also having to work to receive dole payments after 6 months is a good idea imo.

tIeW8DE.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users