←  General Discussion

Suby Club

»

The model car thread!

allpaw4's Photo allpaw4 07 Nov 2014

Considering the Chinese lettering underneath the "Forester", that's not surprising that it'd be a dealership model from China. Nice score! I need to find a B4 version! And if it's 1:18 it would also be die cast yea?

MrSober88's Photo MrSober88 12 Nov 2014

I thought I was the only adult that still does them haha, I started when I was a kid and use to paint the bodies with a paint brush lol. Then when I went to visit the wife's family in Hong Kong I have gotten back into it as the prices over there are really good and they have a way bigger range than I have ever seen in Aus. If I could find my photo I took inside one of the stores. 

But all mine are unfinished as I have since run out of time to do them so I have my GEN 3 Liberty half built waiting to be finished lol. I will have to get some photos when I have a chance. I now paint the bodies with an airbrush and they come out looking really good, they can be had cheap in China. I even sent all my paints and stuff back to Aus with no issues.

Jimbo's Photo Jimbo 20 May 2015

Though I would add this one I finished a while ago. Have a RSK to finish, then a GT30. Have to strip the paint on the GT30 as I stuffed it. Tried to mask it up and spray the black mouldings but failed hard :( have to do it by hand.

20150520_212452_zpsvxjlltit.jpg

20150520_212416_zpsqbfjwmkb.jpg

20150520_212357_zpst6cbgnaj.jpg

20150520_212519_zpsyogigptu.jpg

20150520_212610_zpsucege8wz.jpg

20150520_213054_zpsdnaxoq58.jpg

CRUISN's Photo CRUISN 21 May 2015

Awesome!

JasonNorin's Photo JasonNorin 04 Jun 2015

Dude, all I can say is that you have a very keen eye for details. Your works are by far the most accurate hand-made models I have ever seen. Please keep posting your latest ones. :)

Hypnotic's Photo Hypnotic 04 Jun 2015

That looks awesome, and I want the big version of those wheels.

Jimbo's Photo Jimbo 04 Jun 2015

Hah thanks guys! In all honesty, my work is pretty amateur compared to what I have seen.

I'm yet to figure out how to get a mirror finish on the paint. It's mostly more to the fact I don't have the patience to do it but It could be done. To get a good finish you need about 12,000 grit  Problem is the kits (Legacy) are hard to find and quite expensive at times. Messing up the paint will cost you pretty much a whole ~$15 can of spray paint, and it's a total bitch stripping the paint. 

To get a good mirror-like finish, you really need to use anything from 6000 to 8000 grit sandpaper and finish it off with a good wax. However, it's near on impossible to find 6000 to 12000 grit sandpaper.

Barbbachello's Photo Barbbachello 04 Jun 2015

12k grit must be basically printer paper

Jimbo's Photo Jimbo 04 Jun 2015

Yeah it's pretty fine. Infact the only thing I have seen in 12,000 is actually a re-useable cloth version. 

There's a link on page 2 for a site i get alot of useful tips on, though that dude says he rarely used 12,000. Mostly up to 8000.

Hypnotic's Photo Hypnotic 04 Jun 2015

Hah thanks guys! In all honesty, my work is pretty amateur compared to what I have seen.

If I could ever find the old Wrangler NASCAR's that I did many years ago, i'll show you amateur lol. Mine looked like a 3 year old just discovered finger painting.

Jimbo's Photo Jimbo 10 Jun 2015

Here's a Gen3 underside I took a little extra time to finish. Took a few hours. Best looking one I have so far! Interior is on the cards next, have some goodies coming from the USA to make that look pretty. Also experimenting with seat belts :D

20150610_222235_zpsewimwuxl.jpg

20150610_222314_zpskbmqxtz3.jpg

20150610_222355_zpscpatz539.jpg

Morgan's Photo Morgan 10 Jun 2015

That is awesome detail! 

Robert's Photo Robert 10 Jun 2015

That's epic

Should paint the cv cups green for super accuracy!

nickknack's Photo nickknack 10 Jun 2015

Why does it have a front swaybar but no rear?  :D

Hypnotic's Photo Hypnotic 10 Jun 2015

You've probably mentioned this already Jim, but do you use a brush or do you have a spray gun for models?

Looks great also.

Wob, i don't have a green paint to use :( guts me errytime I do one of these. Should get goin'.

Nick, NFI ..... I don't see why they couldn't have done it. The Aoshima Gen2 kits have everything underneath, Fujimi ones, such as this are a little on the vague side. Also comparing the 2 companies, the Aoshima kits have the full TBE exhaust as a 2 piece item you fit, whereas on this Fujimi kit, only the catback is a separate piece and the front half is moulded into the shell. It sucks as you can see in this base, I can't get a uniform finish on the full exhaust. The back end is spray painted but the rest has to be hand painted. I could mask it and spray it but meh.

As for painting, I used a Tamiya rattle can for the hubs and the catback zorst. The rest was done by brush and Humbrol enamel paints.

For the sake of comparison, here's 3 different manufacturer kits. From left to right is Hasegawa Gen1 , Aoshima Gen2, Fujimi Gen3.

20150610_231121_zpsophwfbdr.jpg

Snootaloop's Photo Snootaloop 11 Jun 2015

Nice work champ I'd like to have crack at a gc8 but fear of new born gettin idea it's a toy and that's the end of it

CRUISN's Photo CRUISN 11 Jun 2015

Nice work Jim. I got green paint for my cv's. :P

Jimbo's Photo Jimbo 12 Jun 2015

Update!

Interior nearly finished, just need to paint seats and attach steering column/wheel, then apply cluster decal. Stole some pedals from an old Gen2 kit then added some carpet!

It looks much better in the flesh, lighting in this room is crap and my LED desk lamp is very focal, makes it look uber shiny.

20150612_185956_zpsdpvphvls.jpg