←  Builds and Projects

Suby Club

»

Simons Gen 3 1999 B4 from NZ

l2eeFer13's Photo l2eeFer13 06 Jan 2015

Thanks guys. Yeah im loving the new grille so much better than the stock one. I was a bit weary on the RFRB grilles but once on the car i love it. Was originally chasing the one with the chrome strip through it but thought i would try this.

The bleeding went smooth thanks to the DIY guide on here. As for the shot i was trying to get Mt Cook in that photo but all my mates were in the way as this was on our way home from our New Years trip and i couldnt be bothered repositioning the car but when the cars near complete i will be on the prowl for some nice snaps

Nice progression without any messin!

Where are you in the Sth Island, and are you hitting the slopes (which ones) this season?

My home town is in Geraldine so thats where i stay when i come back. Its about an hour and a half drive south from Christchurch. I normally go to Mt Hutt as thats the closed mountain to me and its a pretty decent one. Other than Hutt we tend to go to Mt Ohau. Thats down past Twizel. Then if im feeling rich i will do the weekender down in Queenstown and hit up those slopes down their. What ones do you tend to linger at Bumpty

Bumpty's Photo Bumpty 06 Jan 2015

I've driven through Geraldine, but that's it haha. I was in Ashburton for a couple of yrs and Id also frequent Mt Hutt. Have previously done snow trips to queerstown and wanaka. I prefer wanaka because of Cardrona, treble cone and (the now no more) snow park :(.

Pm sent

l2eeFer13's Photo l2eeFer13 17 Aug 2015

Ok so it has been a while since my last update due to being flat out.

Ok so i removed the old alarm that was it the car, It had been set to silent from previous owner and their was no codes or remote so out she came and in went a Mongoose system. All went smooth and was a lot easier than i thought but my only issue it locking and unlocking the doors with it. I can get it to unlock but not lock. So i need to figure out how to wire a relay so when i push the lock button it grounds the wire.

Ever since i removed my alarm system my electric window switches no longer work on all 4 doors. They dont run off a fuse do they? Im sure i checked every single one.

IMG_5649_zps0tzmmru3.jpg

Also i replaced the 2 TMIC hoes and the throttle body connector with some shiny blue silicon ones. Their was a bit of oil in their so might chuck on a catchcan

IMG_5400_zps3bu7ykvj.jpg

And most of the VAC hoses while i was at it. The red will be replaced with yellow to match the brakes and horns etc. Ran out of yellow

IMG_5408_zpsn380a6ja.jpg

And over night we got a small dump of snow. So the suby now felt like a complete horn dog being in its natural habitat 

IMG_5645_zps6nfay0xz.jpg

I got a good deal on a subaru parts facebook page so im going to go down the single turbo conversion road. This will be my first time so I cant wait to start attacking it. Just getting a few more bits and peaces and will probably buy another run about car so at the same time I can leave this off the road and respray the front and rear bars and fix up and the car door dents and just blacken all the black bits like window wipers, seals etc. And i will do all the bushings and install coilovers at the same time.

TD06 turbo setup. Complete including: equal length stainless headers, uppipe, downpipe, turbo, braided oil feed line, 44mm Tial gate, intake pipe, air filter and complete exhaust all the way to the Tip. Quality Jasma Megaphone muffler. I do not know if the rest is genuine or not. Gate is brand new never used. Turbo appears to be in good nick, no signs of damage or excessive shaft play. All came off a 1997 Legacy GTB

11807297_10153079546247205_1013015159999

11807494_10153079546122205_7393653776021

I can imagine the exhaust will need to be modded a fair bit coming from a BG5

11824982_10153079546062205_6366358739561

Let the fun and games begin.

Guest_KONG_* 17 Aug 2015

Nice one man, What a score!

Keep us up to date with this please. 

duncanm's Photo duncanm 17 Aug 2015

Ever since i removed my alarm system my electric window switches no longer work on all 4 doors. They dont run off a fuse do they? Im sure i checked every single one.

$10 says you forgot to plug in the breaker located on the back of the big plastic panel under the steering wheel.

Its a small cigarette-lighter sized thing.

Great score on the parts.

Nice one man, What a score!

Keep us up to date with this please. 

Will do Kong. Wont be starting it for a couple of months though sadly

$10 says you forgot to plug in the breaker located on the back of the big plastic panel under the steering wheel.

Its a small cigarette-lighter sized thing.

Great score on the parts.

Duncam I hope you are right. I felt so lost not being able to put my window down. This will be the first thing i look at when i return home. Will let you know how i get on

l2eeFer13's Photo l2eeFer13 19 Sep 2015

Quick update

As originally planned i bought a TD06 setup but after learning that it will just chew the ODB (EJ208) to peaces i am going to go down a different path. I have purchased a V5/6 ECU and will run a VF29, while im at it i will remove the heads and split the block and replace seals/gaskets and whatever internals are worn. Heads machined etc.

Their is still paint missing in places and dents all over so i will fill them in. I am considering about sanding it all down and getting a respray (if your into MCM i would love the exact color as Super Gramps)

Then once I have done that (will be some time) I will buy a CDB and do all the internals etc. Plop that in and chase the big numbers

So for the mean time. While the car is off the road i have found a replacement. A 96 V3 WRX STi, has a 89 RS block with v3 sti heads with a TD05. Shes in pretty rough shape but will do for a run about

12007201_833249396773443_1944672854_n_zp

12025392_833632240068492_1504910563_n_zp

12020178_833249333440116_799112401_o_zps

This will probably be the next project once the B4 is up and running but thats getting a bit far into the future

l2eeFer13's Photo l2eeFer13 04 Oct 2015

So i picked up the new daily today.I got it cheap so wasn't expecting a master peace but the car was in pretty good shape for its age. It has 297,000 on the body but their is barely any damage and the interior is very tidy for its age

A couple of things i have found though are,

Petrol flap doesn't lock
Air con doesn't go cold. Stays on hot
Indicators don't turn off after completed turn
Left side mirror doesn't lock into place. Wobbles at 100km/h
Hard to find 1st and reverse gears
Clutch on its way out
No stereo
Cruising at 100km/h the RPM is 2900, Is this normal??? Cars quite loud at this speed but it does have a 3 inch exhaust and a big canon

Other than that shes a nice car. Engine removal starts tomorrow on the legacy so im getting my last goodbyes in her tomorrow morning for a 400km trip

IMG_5909_zpsbxkz9gcj.jpg
IMG_5911_zps4fg44kvd.jpg

CRUISN's Photo CRUISN 04 Oct 2015

2900rpm is correct on the STi 4.44 driveline.

cowie165's Photo cowie165 04 Oct 2015

Noice daily!

How many kms can you get out of a subaru engine? i understand hard life vs easy life, maintenance, etc., but do they typically kark it at some point when just about everything is failing?

l2eeFer13's Photo l2eeFer13 04 Oct 2015

2900rpm is correct on the STi 4.44 driveline.

Aw cool. Thought previous owner might have change the ratio but thats good to know

Noice daily!

How many kms can you get out of a subaru engine? i understand hard life vs easy life, maintenance, etc., but do they typically kark it at some point when just about everything is failing?

Cheers mate. Think it all differs. And yeah how it has been treated its entire life. Serviced regularly etc

l2eeFer13's Photo l2eeFer13 06 Oct 2015

After saying my goodbyes to the B4 and taking her for a scenic drive yesterday the engine dismantle began today.

This is the first time i have ever attempted removing an engine but i think i went well. All pretty straight forward once you starting removing things apart from one of the air con bolts. Couldnt get to it so i removed the intake manifold. It was gonna have to come off anyway and a couple of the up pipe nuts seized up on me. Took a good amount of time labeling all the vac lines and heater hoses etc. So i am pretty much all set to remove the long block tomorrow. Just need to borrow a friends hoist

It turns out that one of the rocket cover gaskets was leaking so it was time for some love anyway. This explains the hot smell after every drive. As well as the public asking if my car was ok.  Also should i be worried that only 1.5-2L of oil came out?? Their was also a lot of oil going from the TMIC hose to the seconary turbo

IMG_5915_zpsk1d4vhdd.jpg

IMG_5980_zpsnndintba.jpg

Guest_KONG_* 06 Oct 2015

Good shit.

That last AC bolt is a cubt to get to lol.

l2eeFer13's Photo l2eeFer13 06 Oct 2015

Good shit.

That last AC bolt is a cubt to get to lol.

Haha it sure is, Its actually the only thing that made me swear all day. And that stupid heater hard line didnt help being in the way. Only just managing to get a open ender on their doing tiny turns at a time

Jimbo's Photo Jimbo 07 Oct 2015

Holy crap thats using some oil.

My RevA GTB has 220k on the clock, just went roughly 6 months between oil changes. 5L went in and 5L came out.

l2eeFer13's Photo l2eeFer13 07 Oct 2015

Holy crap thats using some oil.

My RevA GTB has 220k on the clock, just went roughly 6 months between oil changes. 5L went in and 5L came out.

After having a good look under the long block today it appears both rocket cover gaskets are leaking and theirs a fair bit of oil splattered all over the show so im guessing that is where it disappeared to. Oil hasn't been changed since this time last year but has only done about 1000km since

l2eeFer13's Photo l2eeFer13 07 Oct 2015

As i couldn't get the engine hoist until tonight i had another stab at removing all the "extras" today. Had to hacksaw a few of header bolts off

Side by side comparison of TT and ST headers, down-pipes etc

IMG_6001_zpslz6f1l8n.jpg

IMG_6002_zpsbjg9w6wg.jpg

This exhaust was off a Gen 2 wagon and a side by side comparison with the Gen 3 exhaust it shows that it is completely different so i dont think im going to even bother with it and try and chase down an alternative aftermarket 3" Gen3 sedan zorst

IMG_6003_zpsgsg1gxyb.jpg

For all the people that have done a ST conversion without changing the exhaust. Did you just block off the secondary flange where it connects to the downpipe?

Barbbachello's Photo Barbbachello 07 Oct 2015

If you were in Australia id take that gen 2 exhaust off your hands :P. Looking forward to more single goodness

l2eeFer13's Photo l2eeFer13 08 Oct 2015

If you were in Australia id take that gen 2 exhaust off your hands :P. Looking forward to more single goodness

Haha i could try and fit it in my bag for you  :ph34r: Yeah we all love a good single turbo