←  Builds and Projects

Suby Club

»

Mosti's TB STI Wagon 43/300

Shiv's Photo Shiv 21 Oct 2014

Looks good, let us know how that goes. 

Would be interesting in upgrading mine if there was one that was good. 

Liberty's Photo Liberty 21 Oct 2014

You took the words right out of my mouth, Shiv.

allpaw4's Photo allpaw4 21 Oct 2014

Check the resistance values on the original man. The B4 mac stuff was all 6 ohm. Putting 4 ohm gear in will put the amp into overdrive, possibly blowing it eventually. It will be louder, not sure on how noticeable it will be.

Mosti's Photo Mosti 21 Oct 2014

I've read a bit from the liberty.asn boys and they haven't run into any issues with over working the stock amp.

Unfortunately the MB Quart requires a spacer which I had a feeling it might. The existing hole may need slight trimming aswell as both sets of terminals just foul. So if anyone is interested in using this speaker as an upgrade, it definitely isn't a straight swap.

Tim.'s Photo Tim. 21 Oct 2014

The MB Quart sub is going to be quite inefficient in comparison so it will definitely benefit from a bigger amp.

AB501UT!0N's Photo AB501UT!0N 21 Oct 2014

I love those BBS CH wheels, one day my precious one day.... and hopefully the spacer for the sub will make it sit right: )

Mosti's Photo Mosti 22 Oct 2014

The MB Quart sub is going to be quite inefficient in comparison so it will definitely benefit from a bigger amp.

A monoblock is something I've considered, just need to do a little more research to find out how to add it to the existing setup. When it comes to car audio, I have next to no experience or knowledge haha

alexGT's Photo alexGT 22 Oct 2014

A monoblock is something I've considered, just need to do a little more research to find out how to add it to the existing setup. When it comes to car audio, I have next to no experience or knowledge haha

Existing setup is a PITA. everything goes under the passenger seat and has its own loom/plug configuration. there are wiring pinouts but I refuse to touch it until something stops working on mine!

allpaw4's Photo allpaw4 22 Oct 2014

You can get high to low level converters that will do that job nicely. I used to run one in my B4 for a while. Unplug the stock sub and put the high/low converter there, then run your mono block off that. You'll still need to run power wiring, but it'll sort out your signal no dramas.

You can get high to low level converters that will do that job nicely. I used to run one in my B4 for a while. Unplug the stock sub and put the high/low converter there, then run your mono block off that. You'll still need to run power wiring, but it'll sort out your signal no dramas.

Yeah just read something like that over on liberty.asn. seems fairly easy so 8 might have to get myself a monoblock amp.
Just need to source myself an 8" 3/4" thick MDF speaker ring.

Did the sub come with a drawing or cut out? Might be easier to make it yourself with a jigsaw.

Unfortunelty not

Bugga. Tried making your own? Do you have anything you can use to measure the two diameters you'll need?

Nope. Found a few online but they are from the states so i might just grab some of them. Probably work out cheaper by the time I buy the material and equipment needed to make the rings.

Will give Marks DIY front lip repair a crack on the weekend and I'll hopefully have an Invidia Q300 CBE in my possession by the end of next week :)

alexGT's Photo alexGT 22 Oct 2014

Nope. Found a few online but they are from the states so i might just grab some of them. Probably work out cheaper by the time I buy the material and equipment needed to make the rings.

Will give Marks DIY front lip repair a crack on the weekend and I'll hopefully have an Invidia Q300 CBE in my possession by the end of next week :)

V2 Q300? If so you are going to love it. I can make mine crackle so well on over-rev/run!

Not sure yet, still waiting on more info. Whats the difference between the V1 and V2 Q300?

Mosti's Photo Mosti 07 Nov 2014

Finally pulled my finger out and fitted my MB Quart Sub. Definitely not a direct replacement haha
Attached File  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415342795.950628.jpg   181.36KB   18 downloads

Liberty's Photo Liberty 07 Nov 2014

It'll all be covered anyway so you won't notice the work you've done. ;)

Mosti's Photo Mosti 07 Nov 2014

Yeah covers back on which is a bonus. I wasn't sure when mounting the speaker whether the cover would fit back on. I can now crank the bass to 6 without any distortion and the volume can go to about 35 now (depending on the song) where as the stock MacIntosh sub maxed out at about 26

alexGT's Photo alexGT 08 Nov 2014

Not sure yet, still waiting on more info. Whats the difference between the V1 and V2 Q300?

NOISE. V1 is very loud. V2 loops back on itself in the muffler, much better for day to day