45 replies to this topic

#1 Deltoid

Deltoid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 03:59 PM

Hey Guys,

So now i have finally found some time, money and an excuse to be able to do something exciting to my car. 2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec-B. For starters its just the O2 Sensors which have buggered up so I will be going to the extreme to fix the issue.  ;)

Exhaust Idea:

- Replace CAT's with 200C Bullets

- Remove Resonator 

- 2.25" Pipe

- Straight through MUFF's

- Quad Tips

Some sort of cold air intake system and finally a tune!

Now this is where i need your help!

1. Is it worth getting the cold air intake on a NA?

2. If so, what cold air intake would you recommend 

3. any suggestions of the exhaust set up?

All suggestions are much appreciated.

- Deltoid

#2 Niko

Niko

Member's Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,511 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 04:20 PM

CAI, often mocked as a Hot Air Intake, is pretty much redundant on an NA, and in some cases counter productive.

Hit up Liberty (Gary) for exhaust options, he has a Spec B Wagon with upgraded mufflers and y pipe, possibly cat as well. He also did some tuning but didn't go far with it because NA. http://www.subyclub....rty-my06-specb/

If you don't already have Quad tips Mosti is selling a pair of TB STi mufflers off a Liberty in the For Sale section. http://www.subyclub....sedan-mufflers/

#3 Liberty

Liberty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,869 posts
  • Interests:tl;dr

Posted 29 September 2014 - 05:44 PM

I've installed a cold air intake and apart from the noise and direct air flow, it doesn't do much at all with regards to performance. It's not the make or break, but I do like the sound of air being sucked to the engine which is a factor as to why I've still got it installed. No harm in getting one, but don't expect power gains from it. I have noticed the car does run better though.

I've got the Weapon R cold air intake as pictured in my engine bay.

IMG_0196.jpg

There are quite a few products available to you when it comes to exhaust systems. To keep things short and sweet I will talk about my set up. I bought quad mufflers from TCP Auto and the centre and Y-pipe assembly is from Best Mufflers in Carlton and is made by Xforce. I did the installation at home with a mate which just goes to show how easy it is to get it in even if you aren't good on the tools. You save a bit of money too. I opted for everything to be in stainless steel as I like the look and sound of it but you can get the same products in mild steel, again to save a bit of money. The mild steel will outlast the car so don't be too freaked out with rust issues. When I mention sound, stainless steel is said to be raspier whereas mild steel gives you a deeper note. It basically comes down to how you want it to sound and look.

I am on the fence on getting headers as well, but if you do want them, go for Raptor headers.

I did get my wagon tuned, and even though you don't get excess power gains, the drivability and throttle response is significantly better. The car feels and goes harder. I would definitely recommend a tune at the end of the day without a doubt, but obviously only after you have bought the exhaust, CAI, etc. Install all of your modifications first and try and get the tune done not long after a good service to maximise on every bit of gain and get your money's worth. You won't regret it.

If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask man. Here is a video of how my exhaust sounds at the moment (not the best quality, I have yet to get a better video made up).

Wanting to buy/looking for: single genuine STi rim, genuine STi front lip, Corazon or Zero/Sports grille and another OEM grille

Can you hook a brother up? Please contact me now. I have cash ready.

~

3fxl2Ca.jpg

~

2006 Liberty MY06 3.0R SpecB wagon

#4 hoff

hoff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 05:45 PM

No point changing the cats unless your are changing the headers as well because the cats and headers are all one piece.

Cai intake on the H6's are useless, unless you get your hands on what raptor are developing but you will need it tuned as soon that goes on.

My advice. Xforce catback then your choice of muffler my pick are the TCP auto quads. Then get it tuned. My pick is matt mcleod.
If you've got the money do the headers and cats as well

#5 RX25SE

RX25SE

...............Car nerd................ now a H6 pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts
  • Interests:Cars with chrome bumpers!

Posted 29 September 2014 - 05:55 PM

If you change the cats you may get codes as the OBDII catalyst may think the cats are faulty. Matt from Kido Tunes (AKA throttle happy) can tune this out.

You may find that deleting the centre resonator will create a drone machine. Better off deleting the third (un-monitored) cat.

As above, forget the CAI unless you get the one from Raptor as this eliminates the pressure losses in the system. This is a larger diameter pipe so will need an immediate tune to run the engine.

If I told you I was a compulsive liar, would you believe me?

#6 Liberty

Liberty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,869 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 06:00 PM

I think I might have to sell my Weapon R intake and buy a Raptor one after hearing this...

Wanting to buy/looking for: single genuine STi rim, genuine STi front lip, Corazon or Zero/Sports grille and another OEM grille

~

3fxl2Ca.jpg

~

#7 Cam.

Cam.

OEM+

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,906 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 06:15 PM

If I owned a 30R Gen4, These are the winning mods:

DW65C Fuel Pump (For E85)
Raptor Headers (Ceramic Coated Version) 
200 CELL Catalytic Converters (Good quality ones) Note: You will most likely get a CEL from these, Your tuner can turn it off.
3rd Catalytic converter delete (Dead weight and does nothing)
2.5" Catback (Xforce has you covered here for the right price)
The BIGGEST and LONGEST resonator you can fit under the car. The H6 tends to drone/give all kinds of strange resonant frequency's with a aftermarket exhaust.
TCP Quad mufflers - They look great, Aren't stupidly loud and priced well for what they are.
If your air filter is dirty, Throw in a brand new OEM one (This model has a hot wire AFM and they hate oiled filters)
A tune to make the most of the above mods. Get it tuned on E85 if it's available to you, You won't regret it.

Stay away from CAI's. No gain, They suck in hot air from the engine bay and you can be defected.

The mods above with 98 octane should get you around 160kw's at the wheels.
175kw's at the wheels on E85.

H6's are fantastic. They need to be tuned, They are so dull and boring without a tune.

They also tend to detonate on the stock  tune :)

Another note, Clean your AFM before getting it tuned/next time you service it. They tend to cause all kinds of performance issues while tuning.

Asb2OgK.jpg?1

#8 Liberty

Liberty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,869 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 06:32 PM

And that is a template I will use for my beast. Thanks Cam. I've ticked off a few items on that list already. I've been umming and ahing about it since I put it in in all honesty...

~

3fxl2Ca.jpg

~

#9 Deltoid

Deltoid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 07:11 PM

As much as I would love to e85 the beast I don't think the budget can accommodate.

Is there a big difference between ceramic coated and just the stainless for the headers? Apart from heat?

I want a sports sounding h6 such as a BMW or porche sound, not a fully sick commo.

I have had a look into the CAI a good friend suggested 'Cobb Tuning'.
http://www.cobbtunin...it-p/724300.htm
Otherwise the Raptor one for a much later date and another tune. (maybe when e85 comes around.)

I should have mentioned I want to stay around $1600 for parts and tune on top.

X force 2.5" cat back looks like a great solution.

I am looking at the sti muffs for sale.

Thanks to all and keep going. This is something I need done soon.

Please bare with the reply being all over the place, had to do so on my phone.

#10 Shiv

Shiv

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,741 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 08:15 PM

Just wondering should I go 2.25 or 2.5"inch for the cat back? I've been recommended both so can't decide. I went 2.25"inch on my last H6 which was the Gen3 but the Gen4 is a different kettle of fish...

Deltoid, I'll also recommend Matt for your tune. I got mine street tuned by him and it makes an infinite difference to driveability.  

liftbacktestCustom3_zps39c01efc.jpg

#11 Liberty

Liberty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,869 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 12:29 AM

I think 2.25" is big enough, Shiv. I've heard that if you are to go higher it is likely you lose back pressure. I'm running a 2.25" exhaust system on mine and I've had no issues whatsoever. The tune came out real good too.

I want a sports sounding h6 such as a BMW or porche sound, not a fully sick commo.

I have had a look into the CAI a good friend suggested 'Cobb Tuning'.
http://www.cobbtunin...it-p/724300.htm
Otherwise the Raptor one for a much later date and another tune. (maybe when e85 comes around.)

I should have mentioned I want to stay around $1600 for parts and tune on top.

X force 2.5" cat back looks like a great solution.

I am looking at the sti muffs for sale.

Thanks to all and keep going. This is something I need done soon.

Please bare with the reply being all over the place, had to do so on my phone.

H6's will roar and sound way better than your common Commodore so don't worry too much at all about that. If you take the right steps and get the right parts you will have no problems with sound. Bear in mind that the STi mufflers aren't as loud as the TCP Auto, Xforce and other aftermarket mufflers, although they are louder than stock ones.

COBB are a good brand too. I'd pick between them and Raptor if I had a choice. I haven't really looked too much into the cold air intakes in all honesty. I was just in the right place at the right time thanks to a member on the forum to receive my Weapon R.

My TCP Auto mufflers set me back $650 and the Xforce centre and Y-pipe assembly cost me $220. If you go that way, the exhaust will set you back a total of $870 which leaves more than enough money for the cold air intake. Carlton is about 10 minutes drive away for me so if you need help picking up parts, I'd be more than happy to lend a hand.

~

3fxl2Ca.jpg

~

#12 Root Beer

Root Beer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 10:56 AM

Ideally you want a 2" exhaust. Lots of back pressure. Lots of torque. Torque is what its all about.
Using Tapatalk

#13 Shiv

Shiv

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,741 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 11:07 AM

Ideally you want a 2" exhaust. Lots of back pressure. Lots of torque. Torque is what its all about.

Yes but I'm a child, I want a bit more noise haha. I'll probably go 2.25" to get a good middle ground. 

Bit of an update -- just waiting to hear back on a price for a custom cat-back system. My tuner Matt reckons its not necessary to replace the the cat because the standard one isn't too bad. 

#14 Root Beer

Root Beer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 11:10 AM

Noise isn't fully dependent on diameter pipe.

Run no muffler. Or, just a little mid muffler as the main.
Using Tapatalk

#15 Shiv

Shiv

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,741 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 11:14 AM

Noise isn't fully dependent on diameter pipe.

Run no muffler. Or, just a little mid muffler as the main.

True, true...

I've got a VAREX muffler so got the best of both worlds. Can shut it up when I'm feeling sensible :)

#16 Cam.

Cam.

OEM+

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,906 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 11:38 AM

Auto - 2.25"
Manual - 2.5"

The standard cats are ok. If you are at the point of doing the entire system, I would replace them :)

Asb2OgK.jpg?1

#17 Root Beer

Root Beer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 11:46 AM

3" will make most power and torque. Guarantee.
Using Tapatalk

#18 RX25SE

RX25SE

...............Car nerd................ now a H6 pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts
  • Interests:Cars with chrome bumpers!

Posted 30 September 2014 - 11:58 AM

3 inch seems like a big lump of pipe for a 3it engine.

Back in the day we used 2.5 inch on 5lit Commodores with headers, cam and intake.

If I told you I was a compulsive liar, would you believe me?

#19 crjohnson

crjohnson

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 04:51 PM

3" is overkill for a 3lt n/a.. 

#20 Root Beer

Root Beer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 03:04 PM

That's why the 5L have never made power then

3" is not over kill. Willing to bet the cost of making exhausts and dyno time on it.
Using Tapatalk

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users