#61 FR34KO

FR34KO

GRANDMA's BOY

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,461 posts
  • Interests:SNOWBOARDING.

Posted 28 March 2012 - 09:30 AM

How do you figure out wat amps are running through said circuit and therefore wat rated fuse you must use?
I might need to know for my setup, I plan on adding some LED to my indicators, still using the original bulbs also. But i know that LED's dont have much current draw so would they affect it if im just running them parralel?

Will be interesting to see how yours turns out slevo!

#62 slevo

slevo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 09:41 AM

I used a multimeter and a formula i had from back when i was doing electronics at school.

Your right, LED's hardly draw any current, hence if you replace a normal incandescent bulb, with a LED bulb you will get the dreaded HYPER-FLASH, because there is so little current draw on the bulb that the relay thinks the globe has blown, but yet somehow still works fine when the hazard lights are on, because they are on a different relay!!

So you need to change your relay to a LED relay flasher and all will work fine!!
Indicator relay should be located beneath the steering wheel, easy to find as it will make a ticking noise when the indicator is on!

LED look awesome in indicators because of their distinctive cut on cut off look, and are MUCH brighter than incandescent bulb.

I will do a How-To when my stuff arrives, most is still being shipped from JAPAN :)

#63 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 10:02 AM

LEDs are the work of Satan, and I hope all the sidewayscapstanceboys spontaneously combust and die.

Get resuscitated.

And die again.

#64 FR34KO

FR34KO

GRANDMA's BOY

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 10:10 AM

I used a multimeter and a formula i had from back when i was doing electronics at school.

Your right, LED's hardly draw any current, hence if you replace a normal incandescent bulb, with a LED bulb you will get the dreaded HYPER-FLASH, because there is so little current draw on the bulb that the relay thinks the globe has blown, but yet somehow still works fine when the hazard lights are on, because they are on a different relay!!

So you need to change your relay to a LED relay flasher and all will work fine!!
Indicator relay should be located beneath the steering wheel, easy to find as it will make a ticking noise when the indicator is on!

LED look awesome in indicators because of their distinctive cut on cut off look, and are MUCH brighter than incandescent bulb.

I will do a How-To when my stuff arrives, most is still being shipped from JAPAN :)

So If i only ADD LEDs (talking about 8individual small led's) to the circuit im only going to be adding X amount of current to XXX current so it won't cause any problems will it? All should flash fine and all should not spontaneously catch fire? -even without changing the relay!?

LEDs are the work of Satan, and I hope all the sidewayscapstanceboys spontaneously combust and die.

Get resuscitated.

And die again.

Nah mate im doing this cos i want my car to be as legal as possible.. or least try to reach a ..compromise? i know you dont like LEDs :D
During daylight, I'll have the darkened headlight protectors on but that's not good in respect to the indicators being dimmed. therefore, I'm going to place some of that amber led strip i have next to the foggies to compensate... po po may hate, but least its something.. i suppose. lol. I probably won't be bothered to have the darkened protectors on much anyway :)

#65 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 10:23 AM

It's a lot of effort just to make it legal, imho.

But if you really like the LEDs, I say raise the bar in customisation.

Instead of using LED strips, why not french in some LEDs into the front bar?

Like drill holes into the bar, and put in orange LEDs? Say about six or seven each side?

Just an idea. LED strips have been done to death, and I think it's the easy way out of customisation.

Get the bits from Jaycar, arm yourself with a soldering iron (and resist the temptation to stab people)
and get to work!

#66 FR34KO

FR34KO

GRANDMA's BOY

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 10:35 AM

I like what you're saying haha :)

Nah but simple stuff was what i was thinking: Splice wire into indicator wire just before it goes into the headlight, run it down and push it through next to the foglight, in the black surrounds part. Doubled sided tape a portion of the LED strip i already have, vertically, next to the foglight, then run negative back to the negative of the indicator wires. 15 minute job, not even! :)
The strip would look just like individual LED's in the bar as you said as its black on black and hell, I could cover it up and make it clean and pretty looking too!

#67 slevo

slevo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 11:09 AM

yeah, if you just splice it into the line before the existing indicator globe you should be fine, if you want to replace existing globes then you will have to run a new LED relay, im going the whole shebang

#68 FR34KO

FR34KO

GRANDMA's BOY

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 11:32 AM

mmm I'll be happy with a chromed halogen globe to get rid of the orange look i rekon.. Do I need a relay or anything such as a resistor if i want to change my parker globe to an LED ?

#69 slevo

slevo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 12:39 PM

Yeah, either go chromed globe, they look pretty cool!! or go LED, i just love that real sharp light that LED's produce!

Parkers, and by parkers i gather you mean part of the headlight, then no, you don't need to change anything except the globe, should be a T10.

In my display pic that's just my car with my 16 SMD LED T10 globes in it, quite bright, will never blow, and look awesome!
Get them off eBay as you will be paying about $20 for a set of LED at autobarn, but maybe $3 on eBay, yeah they take a few weeks to turn up, but that's half the excitement!

http://www.ebay.com....=item4ab1f93c33

if the led's dont light up, turn them 180, as leds and basically a diode, hence they will only light up when installed the correct way

#70 Josh.

Josh.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 12:57 PM

Do I need a relay or anything such as a resistor if i want to change my parker globe to an LED ?

It's not a T10 in our style of headlights, the globe size is BA9. In order to make LED globes work you will have to switch the wires around on the plug, takes a whole 3 seconds.

#71 RX25SE

RX25SE

...............Car nerd................ now a H6 pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts
  • Interests:Cars with chrome bumpers!

Posted 28 March 2012 - 11:00 PM

How do you figure out wat amps are running through said circuit and therefore wat rated fuse you must use?

Amps= Watts/Volts (power divided by voltage)

Therefore a 12v 21w globe (a std indicator globe) will draw 1.75Amps.

Also,
Ohms= Volts/Amps

so a 12v 21w globe has a resistance of 6.8Ohms

To make your fullyheticz indicator globes flash at the correct rate using the std flasher you will need to connect a 14Ohm load in series to each side of the indicator circuit.

NOTE:
resistors can get HOT when a current is passed through them.
lights must meet ADRs to remain legal

If I told you I was a compulsive liar, would you believe me?

#72 FR34KO

FR34KO

GRANDMA's BOY

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 10:40 AM

Well 16 LEDs will be more than enough for me
I love waiting for stuff from ebay :)

J-C.. switch the wires around? Isn't that just the same as rotating the LED around as slevo mentioned.
I'll look up the exact globe number on superbrightleds.com they have a great database.

And RX25SE, would i definately need a resistor for the led's or perhaps i could connect the LED strip in series with the existing indicator globe, therefore the globe acts as a resistor to the LEDs, if that would have any affect at all, but besides that, if its in series it should flash correctly as the relay would only see the load as a globe + a very small percentage of extra draw on top of what is normal, hopefully not enough to trip the fuse. yae or nay?
keeeping in mind im only adding about 8 leds to each circuit, and not removing the original globes.

And also, pretty sure this won't exaclty meet ADRs... :|

#73 Josh.

Josh.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 10:59 AM

J-C.. switch the wires around? Isn't that just the same as rotating the LED around as slevo mentioned.
I'll look up the exact globe number on superbrightleds.com they have a great database.

Nah it's not. The connection is made through the bottom of our type of globe and not on the side like a T10 globe. You just have to unplug the two wires that run to the base of the globe socket and switch them around.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users