RX25SE

...............Car nerd................ now a H6 pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts
  • Interests:Cars with chrome bumpers!

Posted 06 November 2014 - 02:25 PM

Patience young one, patience.

If I told you I was a compulsive liar, would you believe me?

#22 skillionaire

skillionaire

Mr. Freshley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 03:13 PM

Hi,

You'll regret a Forester instantly.

Cheers,
Nik

#23 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 05:25 PM

Hi,
You'll regret a Forester instantly.
Cheers,
Nik

Don't listen to this grape squishing weirdo.

#24 Liberty

Liberty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,869 posts
  • Interests:tl;dr

Posted 06 November 2014 - 06:08 PM

Otherwise if I can't find a spec.b soon enough I'm just gonna have to settle for the Foz.

Good things come to those who wait.

Don't settle for a Foz just because there is nothing out there at the moment. How soon are you wanting another car?

Wanting to buy/looking for: single genuine STi rim, genuine STi front lip, Corazon or Zero/Sports grille and another OEM grille

Can you hook a brother up? Please contact me now. I have cash ready.

~

3fxl2Ca.jpg

~

2006 Liberty MY06 3.0R SpecB wagon

#25 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 06:19 PM

My old MY07 SpecB 6-slotter was a charm. Clocked up 135,000 kays by the time I got rid of it and never had a single problem except for some squeaky trim on the dash.

I regret marring my experience with the Gen4 by buying a sedan. Had I had bought a wagon (none available at the time or way overpriced) I can 100% say I would still own it today. About 2 years ago I paid $27k for it and it was the cheapest in Sydney at the time. When I came to sell it about a year later I couldn't get $20k for it. The value on them just dropped out of nowhere which is good news now as there are some clean examples cheap as chips. 

They have a sound system which is ample, plenty of power and they look timeless.

Only real thing which disappointed me was a vague feeling of involvement. This is just my personal opinion but it did everything so well I felt disconnected with it, partly due to the fact I came straight out of a Gen2 GT-B which was raw and alot of fun to drive. The Gen4 is like driving fast and precise with a top hat on.

'04 Liberty GT Premium "The Sprog Chariot"

#26 RX25SE

RX25SE

...............Car nerd................ now a H6 pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts
  • Interests:Cars with chrome bumpers!

Posted 06 November 2014 - 09:10 PM

I think Jim pretty much nailed it.
My 6sp H6 wagon is a good thing. Great package straight out of the box, so much so it's the first car I've owned that I feel I don't need to extensively modify to suit my needs. All I have done is a set of wheels and an exhaust. The interior is good with all the nice things of an upmarket car (the dual zone climate is a marriage saver) and all the controls are well placed and are a delight to use.
Due to my job I have driven many different cars and I would have to say that this one has one of the best chassis tune of a car that can be used as a daily drive. The gearbox has a great shift and is known to be quite robust and the engine revs likes crazy, sounds divine and makes reasonable power.
My only regret is having a STi clutch fitted as the pedal is a little heavy (nothing like my old V8 Falcon) and I find it difficult to drive economically as the fuel consumption can get a little high with a heavy right foot.
Compared to my wife's GenIII RX it is far more refined and a much better touring car but the RX could quite possibly be a quicker point to point car in the city.
I have driven Foresters in the past and, to be honest, I did find them a nice drive compared to other 'soft roaders' but to me they are just too high off the ground to handle anything like a Liberty.

Have you had to opportunity to drive one of each?

If I told you I was a compulsive liar, would you believe me?

#27 AussieTemplar

AussieTemplar

BMW driver on a Subaru forum

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,586 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 05:33 AM

I had the opportunity to drive the Spec. B for 5 mins when I was looking at one.. but other then that nope.

Spec.B wagon would be awesome but they are so hard to find.. I even would love an STI wagon but I can't find any newer then 2006.

EHUf263.jpg?3

Get out of my thread.

#28 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 06:46 AM

car purchasing related obviously. much smarter than the VW one hahah!

Best decision ever?

Whoa dude. Need to get out more!!

Hai Nick. You too, huh?

MY07 GT spec B

#29 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 06:48 AM

I had the opportunity to drive the Spec. B for 5 mins when I was looking at one.. but other then that nope.

Spec.B wagon would be awesome but they are so hard to find.. I even would love an STI wagon but I can't find any newer then 2006.

there is a gunmetal grey wagon in Wollongong for sale 07/08/09 (on street) I'll have a closer look if its still there and if manual/auto

MY07 GT spec B

#30 AussieTemplar

AussieTemplar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,586 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 01:29 PM

there is a gunmetal grey wagon in Wollongong for sale 07/08/09 (on street) I'll have a closer look if its still there and if manual/auto

Thanks man - let me know! :)

I just found this..

http://www.carsales....9/?Cr=4&sdmvc=1

Haha it's actually not bad.

EHUf263.jpg?3

Get out of my thread.

#31 AussieTemplar

AussieTemplar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,586 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 01:34 PM

Is this one too good to be true?!?!?!?1

http://www.carsales....5/?Cr=1&sdmvc=1

EHUf263.jpg?3

Get out of my thread.

#32 Liberty

Liberty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,869 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 01:36 PM

Meh. If you want a ship then it's alright I guess. I've never been a fan of the Gen 5 even though there are a FEW good examples I've seen.

As for that last ad, I wouldn't go there. I never do business with dealers and have always preferred private sales. That's just my opinion though as I'm sure there are a few good ones out there.

Wanting to buy/looking for: single genuine STi rim, genuine STi front lip, Corazon or Zero/Sports grille and another OEM grille

~

3fxl2Ca.jpg

~

#33 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts
  • Interests:Taking a poo

Posted 09 November 2014 - 11:50 PM

That my08 looks sick!

IM47Gcv.jpg

#34 AussieTemplar

AussieTemplar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,586 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 07:09 AM

That my08 looks sick!

What do you think of dealer cars?

EHUf263.jpg?3

Get out of my thread.

#35 AussieTemplar

AussieTemplar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,586 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 07:23 AM

What do you think of dealer cars?

I think I am going to look at the car some time this week. What should I be looking for in Spec.B's? What are some common issues?

Thanks guys.

Nick

EHUf263.jpg?3

Get out of my thread.

#36 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 07:53 AM

It depends… I’ve bought multiple cars from dealers and multiple cars from private sellers. I don’t buy dodgy cars so I’ve never had an issue :P

A good thing about [reputable] dealers, is that they don’t buy/sell repairable write-offs. They always come with a REVs/PPSR certificate so you don’t have to worry about it.

They also come with some sort of warranty. Usually, this doesn’t mean too much but personally, it saved me an extra $600 when the coil pack/leads/plugs packed in 2 weeks after purchasing my Outback!

On the other hand, private sellers aren’t trying to make money so are usually more negotiable.  

There are definitely shady dealers around but there are also tonnes of shady private sellers. Carefully  wade through them and you’ll be right.

IM47Gcv.jpg

#37 skillionaire

skillionaire

Mr. Freshley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 08:35 AM

Hi,

I definitely prefer buying from a dealer.

And Morgan, didn't you specifically sell cars for profit as a private seller at one point?

Anyway. To not sidetrack.

@Nick: If you're looking at the H6 it's common when the K's get up around 150-200 that the main seal at the front of the engine starts weeping oil. Can be vedddy expensive. 

Cheers,
Nik

#38 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 12:26 PM

And Morgan, didn't you specifically sell cars for profit as a private seller at one point?

I was going to but didn't end up doing it in the end.

Private sellers don't USUALLY sell for a profit ;)

IM47Gcv.jpg

#39 Shiv

Shiv

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,741 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 12:42 PM

I say go for it, Nik. Assuming the car checks out and everything is OK, that's a nice starting point for some haggling. Its a damn nice car too!!

I've bought all three of my Subaru's from dealers and have been fortunate to have had good experiences. I just received not one but TWO letters in the mail from Central Coast Holden telling me that its been 12-months since I bought "Outback Subaru" and they want me to "drop by" and tell them all about it over a "free coffee". So if I have two letters, is that TWO free coffees?! If so, this is terrific service and I will definitely be driving 90-minutes to pay them a visit get my free coffees. 

liftbacktestCustom3_zps39c01efc.jpg

#40 Liberty

Liberty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,869 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 01:32 PM

@Nick: If you're looking at the H6 it's common when the K's get up around 150-200 that the main seal at the front of the engine starts weeping oil. Can be vedddy expensive.

If you're talking about the front timing cover, then yes, it is a little expensive. It requires the engine to be taken out for the front timing cover to be resealed. I was charged $600 at ICHIban.

~

3fxl2Ca.jpg

~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users