• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#21 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts
  • Interests:Subarus, 4wd'n Subarus, travelling Subarus, Tinkering... I could go on!

Posted 09 October 2017 - 09:35 PM

Well all sorted in the damage department.  Now I have a brumby with one totally awesome panel and paint that's making the rest of the body look a little average.

Might have to get into that after sorting some minor rust issues.

Cheers

Bennie

"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
https://www.imageshack.us/i/po1BKrxbj
1BKrxb.jpg
El Freddo's Pics    -    El_Freddo's youtube

#22 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts
  • Interests:Subarus, 4wd'n Subarus, travelling Subarus, Tinkering... I could go on!

Posted 14 January 2018 - 12:05 PM

Small update:

While moving house and doing a lot of night driving in the brumby (we do a lot of night driving anyway, just not so much in the brumby) I found that the lights are all over the shop - not very bright and couldn't adjust them - the plastic tabs that the adjustment screws locate in are flogged out.

So I swapped the front light's mounting plate for another set I had and I ensured that I could adjust the lights before installing.  Works good.  I also added a secondary wiring loom that is triggered by the factory loom but takes the power very directly to the lights via shorter wiring and some relays.  So now I have good lights again that I can aim properly.

But not satisfied with that (for those that know me driving lights are needed/good) I had a set of these in the shed that I was going to use on the RS eventually - but waiting got the better of me:

uJ63sn.jpg

Can't wait to make night into day with these!

Ironically I have not done any night driving since fitting these.  The tiny bit I did down the street on the night I thought would be the first good run with these lights the car died a bit further up the road as I pulled into a servo.  I couldn't get it started and it was towed back to the house. 

Long story short the issue ended up being a dead coil, followed by a fried dizzy module.  One of my issues was that I'd replaced the module with a new unit - and promptly fried that as I hadn't replaced the coil at that point.  So there goes $75.

But now I have a running brumby again - still a few issues to sort out:  radiator has a leak if waiting for the thermos to kick in, a seam on the end tank opens up and drops coolant.  I've triggered the fans to run all the time to avoid this issue and have done so for a number of months now :/  I have a second radiator that I've been trying to get checked out but the local rad guy in benders was on holiday over the xmas/new year period.  I haven't had the chance to drop in since.  Sounds like I might have a rear bearing on the way out but I'll work that out in time.

Otherwise it's been a gem with the house move so far - it's done this in that high 30 degree heat and other than some pinging up hills on light or full throttle with a down shift it's done really well:

iqSQHQ.jpg

I'm also chasing an issue with my temp gauge - it doesn't work.  I've had two clusters and two sender units.  When the wire at the sender is earthed the gauge moves.  So I might have two dead senders which is uncommon in my experience.  Aftermarket temp gauge is lined up for install - after the house move I think...

Cheers

Bennie

1BKrxb.jpg

#23 Niko

Niko

Member's Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,511 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 06:46 PM

Love it, great to see it getting put through its paces.

#24 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 10:38 PM

Ok, finally an update on the driving lights and secondary headlight wiring to reduce the loss in the old original system. By swapping four plugs I can easily revert back to the original wiring on the side of the road if need be.

1n1Aui.jpg

Low beams:

SihX60.jpg

High beams without driving lights:

YxBaxk.jpg

High beams with driving lights:

TgbMcI.jpg

You may have noticed the glare from the rail of the bullbar. I've since added some of that anti slip step tape that's got a sand paper like texture. Before applying it I've sprayed it with matte black spray paint.

It works well enough to get a lot from the driving lights, previous to this any gains from the lights was lost on the glare that came back at you. Sorted now and it's awesome to drive with at night!

And hanging out with Basil and Sunnie the Brumby:

fRUVzA.jpg

:D

Cheers

Bennie
1BKrxb.jpg

#25 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 11:46 PM

Got a little bit of work going on with this thing. Don't get too excited, it will be remaining an EA81 ;)

6hB2C3.jpg

Cheers

Bennie

1BKrxb.jpg

#26 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 10:17 PM

Small update:

- I found out recently that my temp gauge issue was at the engine plug.  I'm still yet to fix this one, it works most of the time and will drop out sometimes...

- The hole in the radiator is now fixed.  I ended up taking it to a local place that I've been to over a number of years, he's near the old ice skating centre for those that know benders.  It's working a treat and I can actually let the fans turn on via the temp switch rather than me having them shorted out all the time.

- After a day tripping around on Monday (Bendigo>Ballarat>Lancefield>Bendigo), I'm still experiencing a pinging issue - so can rule out an old engine with high ambient air temps as part of the issue.  Timing is pulled back from the stock 8* already.  So I've got a new genuine PCV in the hope that it'll sort out the majority of the pinging.  I'll also be checking for any small vacuum leaks including investigating any play in the throttle shaft.  I'm hoping to have the SPFI kit sorted soon(ish).

On the SPFI front, I need to get the intake manifold together, sort out the fuel pump and lines - ultimately a surge tank would be best but I'll probably run without one for a while and not let the tank get below 1/4.

A small amount of wiring needs to be done under the dashboard to hook it all up, then she's apples.

Lastly, I need a new windscreen rubber - mine leaks in the rain after a day or so.  This is the number 1 killer of these vehicles.  The windscreen allows water in either at the top (like mine) or at the bottom corner.  Water ends up in the A pillar or on the floor which leads to rust.  Left long enough and you can kiss your brumby or MY goodbye.

That's it for now!

Cheers

Bennie

1BKrxb.jpg

#27 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 07:07 PM

Update. Yeah... SPFI... dunno when this will happen.

Ive replaced the PCV valve and its massively reduced the pinging! The old unit seemed to seal well and do what it should, and I almost put it back in.

But it proved to make a difference, cruising around on that 45*C day Friday I only got light pinging at the point I think the secondaries open up and at hard throttle when under load. No where near as much pinging as I used to get. So Im happy with that. But it still didnt like cruising - when you apply a small squeeze on the throttle to deal with a Hill etc the pinging was there. So Im thinking its a carb issue now. Either play in the throttle shaft or the secondary jet/system is partially blocked. Or ultimately I have low compression. For now Ill keep it as an around town car rather than a country cruiser like it used to get used for.

Ive also got new boots for her, and threw on my second set of 14 inch Scorpion rims:

QAmnJl.jpg

Sorry if thenimage is too large - its from my phone and I cant resize them, Ill have to replace the image code the next time Im on the computer ;)

Im coming around on all that rim and little tyre - painting the rims will help. Hoping to do this soon. Knocking some of the dents out would be sweet too. Maybe next year Ill get that done...

For now my aim is to just keep the wheels rolling and work on small bits at a time.

Cheers

Bennie

1BKrxb.jpg

#28 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 09:27 PM

Im really enjoying driving this thing again! She was parked up for most of summer since Xmas.

And Im loving the look of these rims - I reckon I shouldve done this earlier...

Right at home. Less of the four x wouldve been better - we're not in qld and we know how to spell beer...

b4V5eU.jpg

Earlier today, couldnt help myself:

MoJlBv.jpg

Im missing fifth gear. On the drive to another town last weekend I found myself going for fifth gear - that wasnt there... I guess Ive been driving Ruby Scoo more than usual recently...

I might have to look into an L series box swap to get the extra gear... ahhh, (or ARRRGH!?) someday...

Cheers

Bennie

1BKrxb.jpg

#29 Bumpty

Bumpty

My wob dreams are now wet dreams

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,489 posts
  • Interests:Drinking wine with wob by the legacy side

Posted 02 February 2019 - 02:33 PM

Looking absolutely fantastic!

#30 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 02 February 2019 - 09:43 PM

Looking absolutely fantastic!

Thanks Bumpty!

I’m not sure if you’re drunk or sober - that was a very straight answer from you!

Cheers

Bennie
1BKrxb.jpg

#31 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 09:40 PM

I got the trifecta!

uWutMS.jpg

^ The Subaru old school equivalent of the Italian Job? :P

Other than this Im just chasing an issue with my right hand combination light. On high beam its dim. When I swap power wires around it works fine but opposite to how it should. Getting frustrating but will soon have it sorted I hope!

Tomorrow night Im looking at going for a cruise over Mt Alexander with the car club. Itll be my first cruise so itll be interesting and Im looking forward to it too - even though Ill probably be the only Subaru there...

Cheers

Bennie

1BKrxb.jpg

#32 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 18 May 2019 - 08:11 PM

Well on the cruise I was the only old school Subaru there. A current series WRX was the other Subaru in attendance. Other vehicles included MX5s, an MG, TRV, a Porsche or two and I think thats about it.

The brumby did well, even with some pinging. Another club member commented on how well it went too. That was nice as there was nothing left in it to go harder. That and it corners pretty well for what it is.

I managed to snap some glam pics after the rain last week while the paint looked good!

ET2Lvs.jpg

7noKX5.jpg

I wish the paint was actually that good all over!

Shes now in the shed for a replacement windscreen, tidying up of some rust spots and ensure under the windscreen rubber is rust free and sealed up properly. Ill also be doing a couple of other bits and pieces.

Cheers

Bennie
1BKrxb.jpg

#33 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 10:49 PM

Its August 2019 now, the windscreen work took some time to complete - finding time was the first issue then painting had to wait for the best possible weather conditions was the second.

In the mean time Ive done a few other things. This little red brumby will cop an EJ22 conversion. Ive collected all the required parts over the last year or so.

The loom was cut down. This is what I started with once I stripped all the conduit and wrapping off:

fBsp5H.jpg

Once the job was done I was left with this:

FWZLmd.jpg

The loom was tested with the engine I have lined up for the conversion. Some may have seen the video of the driveway bench test of the two:

https://youtu.be/vBXrmIzWiZY

The loom is wrapped and laid out in the brumby waiting for the rest of the conversion. A second standard inlet hard fuel line was fitted through the cab with the stock lines. This will become the return line for the efi system. This will minimise any back pressure in the return system.

And this is the other thing happening while the windscreen is out - needs a general clean up and some foam tape on the air duct joints:

06v16F.jpg

Old dash and cluster is up top, the stock unit. Below is the long dash and six gauge analogue cluster from a touring wagon/coupe/GL sedan. This will make my interior much nicer to look at!

dI0rg0.jpg

After this I hope the windscreen will go in next week. Pay my rego, clean up some rust in the tray before it gets any nastier, then drive it!

Once back on the frog and toad, other things can be looked at - electric windows are definitely on the cards!

For now Im very excited about the dash and cluster swap!

Cheers

Bennie

1BKrxb.jpg

#34 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,456 posts
  • Interests:Docking

Posted 02 August 2019 - 08:53 AM

Always nice to see things from before the EJ era. 

tIeW8DE.png

#35 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 11:11 AM

Always nice to see things from before the EJ era.

Thanks Barbs. I’ll keep ticking away at these for a long time yet. I reckon this is where my Subaru passion really sits, in that late 80’s early 90’s era.

I wouldn’t mind adding a hard top coupe or an original MY touring wagon to the stables. Club rego makes it possible for me now.

Anyway, finally off to Bunnings today. Hopefully I can post later about the dashboard going in ;)

Cheers

Bennie
1BKrxb.jpg

#36 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 03:56 PM

And its in! Almost everything works too :lol:

n0VO5a.jpg

Much better to look at than the original speed, oil/fuel gauges and a clock that didnt work - I set it to 5 oclock ;)

6XoGHP.jpg

Im not sold on the green back light. I might change it to a white-ish light - maybe. Well have to see how unlazy Ill be on that front.

Windscreen should go in this week, then the rest of the interior, also replace the missing alternator and air filter. Once those and rego payment happens I can go fo a long overdue drive :D

And after that Ill have to start my rust attack plan. I want to clean up all surface rust spots and seal it up hopefully never to return.

Cheers

Bennie

1BKrxb.jpg

#37 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 06:48 PM

I cant believe I didnt update this thread once I had Redback up and running again! It was one of those bitter sweet moments where you remember why you love driving it then you find and remember the list of things to do. This included the front bearings and an issue that caused a steeering wheel wobble from low speed. I also had a nasty clacking sound from the front left. I was hoping it was a bearing issue.

Alas, it was a drive shaft issue. The front left shaft would rotate then lock in the outer joint. So, two new driveshafts and two new wheel bearings and everything is back together as of last night. I also painted the hubs.

If you ever pain hubs just make sure the paint doesnt build up where bolts etc go. Not fun sorting that out, especially in threaded sections.

So Ive finally lost my steering wheel wobble under all conditions, plus the clacking noises from the front left and the steering wheel shudder under brakes that was the initial issue ages ago.

Its bliss! And I forgot how much I enjoy driving this little beast! Its been about four weeks off the road again :/

Now that everything is smooth up front, I reckon Ive got a niggle up the back now. Ill look into that in time as Ive got a few other things to do first - get Basil back on the road. Engine HG, cambelt kit and reseal jobs all done, gearbox replaced. Now its a centre diff issue so boxes are apart!

And we have a new Subaru member of the family join us Saturday.

Cheers

Bennie
1BKrxb.jpg

#38 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 16 October 2019 - 10:05 PM

Yay! Finally some fun stuff - pics!

While I had the front end apart for new bearings and driveshafts I took some time to paint the hub knuckles in an attempt to clean up my brumby one part/area at a time...

TTRnEd.jpg

^ Always wear a face mask and extra eye protection when using these wire wheels! Copping one of these in the face isn't fun... and I'd know! A set of welding gloves doesn't go astray either.

Px4bvh.jpg

I'll have to get a couple of pics of them installed. While the paint work wasn't great, and I've already chipped some while fitting bearings etc, they look good in situ (no pics yet). Now to get the rest of the stuff done like the control arm, radius rod, steering arm, dust shield...

I love this beast!

tCvFka.jpg

Cheers 

Bennie

1BKrxb.jpg

#39 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 12 October 2020 - 11:00 PM

Wow, almost a whole year without an update... not that theres much to mention. I still havent finished fitting out the interior -
Just been driving her to and from work with a trip out of town during lockdowns to drop and collect work from students homes. The pinging remains an issue that Ill just have to live with until bigger plans come to fruition.

Latest mod though, a necessity really. EA to EJ alternator mod:

My voltage was bouncing all over the joint with rev changes on the old EA alternator - and Im out of replacement second hand units in my parts stash. This mod has the volt gauge sitting steady.

The EA alternator was replaced with an EJ Gen3 unit. How to conversion thread here.

Looks odd but does the job:

hWYvpk.jpg

Another Subarino Auto Electrical (western Oz, look him up if youre over that way) inspired mod :D Thanks mate!

Cheers

Bennie
1BKrxb.jpg

#40 RX25SE

RX25SE

...............Car nerd................ now a H6 pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts
  • Interests:Cars with chrome bumpers!

Posted 15 October 2020 - 07:11 AM

Cool alternator job Bennie!

I'm assuming the EJ unit has higher current output than the EA unit?

If I told you I was a compulsive liar, would you believe me?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Brumby, EA81

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users