←  Anything Goes

Suby Club

»

June GT

Liberty's Photo Liberty 03 Jul 2015

Good busy, not employed busy. 

Ha ha, good man. Good to see you around again.

RX25SE's Photo RX25SE 03 Jul 2015

I learnt about cvt when they used one in junkyard wars.

Old as fork technology.
Basically 2 varI able pulleys and a rubber band

Yes, old design. Used by the Dutch in their DAF I believe.

Modern CVTs use a steel band made up of many steel plates supported by thin metal bands. The odd thing about them is the 'band' drives on the compression side. 

Possibly only stair designers will understand the significance of this...

Niko's Photo Niko 03 Jul 2015

People whinge about CVT on the forums, but fact is the cars aren't designed for us. They're designed for the populous who are increasingly becoming more and more mechanically ignorant. Just like phones get more technologically complicated but more user friendly so do cars.

CVT isn't like driving a manual, no way, and it's not even like driving an auto, but it's not so terrible that it makes the car feel un-driveable. CVT Levorg doesn;t surprise me, the Levorg won't be marketed at rev heads, but rather execs and soccer moms who want to feel 'sporty', like the sorts that drive GTi's and Range Rover Evoques. 

Shaz's Photo Shaz 03 Jul 2015

Pretty sure my toaster and blender at home have CVT.

Like all new cars, they serve their purpose beautifully. For an appliance.

Which cars with CVT are.

People whinge about CVT on the forums, but fact is the cars aren't designed for us. They're designed for the populous who are increasingly becoming more and more mechanically ignorant. Just like phones get more technologically complicated but more user friendly so do cars.

CVT isn't like driving a manual, no way, and it's not even like driving an auto, but it's not so terrible that it makes the car feel un-driveable. CVT Levorg doesn;t surprise me, the Levorg won't be marketed at rev heads, but rather execs and soccer moms who want to feel 'sporty', like the sorts that drive GTi's and Range Rover Evoques. 

From what I understand, some manufactures (Subaru included) use a 'stepped' logic in the programming of the CVT. Rather than providing infinitely variable ratios, they 'step' to a 'fixed' ratio determined by the inputs and shift logic. As they still have infinite ratios these 'steps' can be programmed to be at different points dependent on certain inputs such as large pedal requests or selecting 'sport' mode.

I have only driven the Nissan CVT (X-Trail and Pulsar) and it was poo. I would be interested to see how the 'stepped' system compares to a conventional auto.

Either way it's still one pedal short for my liking.

Don't kid yourself, most of the drivetrain technology is driven by emission regulations. The marketing departments just decide how to sell it.

Zac's Photo Zac 03 Jul 2015

Get guys, 

Pitch stop mount on the Outback, worth it?

I feel the gear changes aren't as good as they could be, because auto

Robert's Photo Robert 03 Jul 2015

They make a fair bit of nvh

Hypnotic's Photo Hypnotic 03 Jul 2015

They make a fair bit of nvh

You've never driven an outback have you? I doubt you would even notice it, or better yet, make them less of a bouncy castle.

Well it is only a pitch stop mount, so the rocking of the engine. Was thinking of getting a transmission pitch stop as well, but sounds like harder to install. It is just for fun anyway, see what happens.

Apparently nvh won't be too bad, if any, with the perrin pitch stop mount, compared to other brands. 

Just wondering if anyone had much experience with them on the outback, or in the 3.0R engine.

You've never driven an outback have you? I doubt you would even notice it, or better yet, make them less of a bouncy castle.

Will hopefully be less bouncy castle when I install the Bilstein suspension from a spec B on the outback :)

Just wondering if anyone had much experience with them on the outback, or in the 3.0R engine.

I'm not bothering with one.

My 3.0R 6 speed shifts just fine.  :)

Not sure how one will improve shifts Zac, it may make them feel more pronounced. Another possibility is the auto itself.

Will hopefully be less bouncy castle when I install the Bilstein suspension from a spec B on the outback :)

Why just you don't just get a Spec B wagon and enjoy less Outback?

Adam's Photo Adam 03 Jul 2015

Basically pushes the band instead of pulls, jase?

And I dont do stairs anymore :D

Yep, pushes.

I know, I just can't help myself sometimes. :)

I'm not bothering with one.

My 3.0R 6 speed shifts just fine.   :)

Not sure how one will improve shifts Zac, it may make them feel more pronounced. Another possibility is the auto itself.

Why just you don't just get a Spec B wagon and enjoy less Outback?

Well I read that the shifts could feel a little sluggish if the mount is worn, but we'll see.

Yes, going to get the auto box serviced sometime and see if that helps, Still better than the 4spd in the B4.

TSG's Photo TSG 03 Jul 2015

I've been waiting to see how they go maintenance wise before even considering one, less moving parts etc. Mum has a CVT Honda City, and its actually quite responsive. I can barely tell the difference between it and my girlfriends regular auto Civic. The only thing that does freak me out is that it doesn't change gears. It's such an alien feeling. If the WRX has the stepped transmission programming, it'll probably go quicker if you disable that programming and let it work as a regular CVT.

Awesome, just got a $300 red balloon voucher from the boss.

Winning

Yeah I drove a CVT in Melb a few years ago in a Camry Hybrid rental.

Such a weird feeling, waiting for the gear change that never comes.

Also, because hybrid, had that auto shutoff at the light. Extra weird feeling

I thought our vitz we hired in nz had cvt.

But it was just slow as fuxk. Mad car though

Hypnotic's Photo Hypnotic 03 Jul 2015

No such thing as a slow hire car.

Pretty much out drifted mad Mike through the crown ranges

Hahaha remember the i30 at MDSC?

best