• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#21 patttyfox

patttyfox

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 09:48 PM

My car was a 30D. Conversion and cheap shouldn't be in the same sentence. 

This.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

#22 zahmad

zahmad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 10:40 PM

As others have mentioned, not worth the cost, but if you want to be unique, do it.

I for one if in the same boat, would just get a 3.0R Gen 4 and be done with it.

#23 Cam.

Cam.

OEM+

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,906 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 11:43 PM

10/10 would buy something with a 6 banger in it already.

Any reason why you want a 6 banger? They are nice to drive but not very quick.

Asb2OgK.jpg?1

#24 Niko

Niko

Member's Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,511 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 08:00 AM

~5yrs ago, dude put a H6 in his Gen 2. $13k all up.

Obviously Gen 3 sedan is different, more engine bay room etc. But will still be exxy.

Gen 4 H6's are cheap as chips. Much nicer inside aswell.

#25 andrew_k

andrew_k

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 09:30 AM

Interior of gen 4 is a lovely place to be compared to any subie that came before it. Solid.

#26 jordyturnbull

jordyturnbull

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 07:12 PM

i just love gen 3s.. if i was going to spend money on a car that's already good id get a 2006 wrx wagon or 08 hatch or any subaru with mcpherson struts all around. not a 3.0r spec b, everyone has one, they're heavy, and the gen 3s are in my opinion the best libertys.

my original plan was a turbo swap, but i've seen how cheap outback h6 wrecks go for and there's no way i'm getting away with a sti swap on my ps. but i absolutely need more than the 70 kws, so i figured a h6 (done completely by myself) would be a nice idea, and give me enough in a car until i'm allowed to drive something with an sti powerplant 

#27 jordyturnbull

jordyturnbull

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 07:16 PM

i figured making this kind of thread on subyclub wouldn't get the same " just buy a gen 4" response of the club lib crowd, i appreciate the effort to respond but i don't like the easy rout. prefer to spend a bit more on something i built myself than just drive a gen 4 with king springs and xxrs with tires too small for my rep wheels.... no offence to anyone with a gen 4 :)

#28 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 07:55 PM

not a 3.0r spec b, everyone has one, they're heavy, and the gen 3s are in my opinion the best libertys.

Kerb weight on a Gen3 (B4, so heaviest) sedan is 1495kg compared to 1490 for a 3.0R-B sedan. Gen4 is actually lighter.

Oh and Gen3 is multi-link rear, not "McPherson strut all round".

As it's been said multiple times now, get yourself a rekt H6 Outhouse, transplant everything over and then do a MT swap. Once that's done, enjoy the eternal dash and trim rattles and extra power. Also if you do the conversion, it will no longer be P-Plate legal either, so....

We're not telling you what you can and can't do but plenty of us have experience with conversions and the like. It's never as simple or cheap as our imaginations tend to think. Do you have another car to drive while yours is off the road for months while you're doing the conversion? Do you have a big enough budget to cover things you don't think you'll need? Got somewhere to do the conversion? Engine crane? Tools?

Why not just buy a good condition H6 Outback and do a transmission swap? Wagons look great and are immensely practical. 

If you're getting the same kind of replies wherever you go, isn't that telling you something?

'04 Liberty GT Premium "The Sprog Chariot"

#29 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts
  • Interests:Subarus, 4wd'n Subarus, travelling Subarus, Tinkering... I could go on!

Posted 06 June 2016 - 08:05 PM

Once you go wagon you don't go back ;)

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
https://www.imageshack.us/i/po1BKrxbj
1BKrxb.jpg
El Freddo's Pics    -    El_Freddo's youtube

#30 jordyturnbull

jordyturnbull

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 08:10 PM

i know that they have a multi link rear end.. that's why i wouldn't buy another liberty. 

and the gen 3 rx is 1395 kg herb... plus like 30 kg from the swap give or take so let's say 1435, the gen 4 3.0r spec b is 1535 kerb.. really isn't enough to be considered a valid argument from a performance perspective but it's still like losing a passenger... 

in the end... rattles can be fixed..

and why wouldn't it be legal ? that engine comes stock on that chassis so it doesn't require engineering, and its na....

i did look at a h6 outback, i do love the look. but they're too expensive compared to the rx i already own. just a bunch of oldies who bought them new selling them off with 300kms for twice what they should be.

if i could find a healthy outback with under 150 clicks and a sunroof... i'd swap in a heartbeat as i need the space. and i doubt i'd get 5k for the rx i paid 6 for under a year ago 

#31 Staxta

Staxta

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 08:21 PM

It's not p plate legal unless it's a factory option in Australia.

H6 outbacks are pretty cheap these days, kms aren't that bad considering the engines go forever.

#32 jordyturnbull

jordyturnbull

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 08:29 PM

how healthy can a ez30 with just over 200kms be ? i have an ej25 with just over 200 and it's been nothing but trouble so that would be my main concern 

#33 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 08:31 PM

i know that they have a multi link rear end.. that's why i wouldn't buy another liberty. 

and the gen 3 rx is 1395 kg herb... plus like 30 kg from the swap give or take so let's say 1435, the gen 4 3.0r spec b is 1535 kerb.. really isn't enough to be considered a valid argument from a performance perspective but it's still like losing a passenger... 

in the end... rattles can be fixed..

and why wouldn't it be legal ? that engine comes stock on that chassis so it doesn't require engineering, and its na....

i did look at a h6 outback, i do love the look. but they're too expensive compared to the rx i already own. just a bunch of oldies who bought them new selling them off with 300kms for twice what they should be.

if i could find a healthy outback with under 150 clicks and a sunroof... i'd swap in a heartbeat as i need the space. and i doubt i'd get 5k for the rx i paid 6 for under a year ago 

H6 wasn't available in our market in a sedan chassis, that's why. Yes, the laws are stupid as other markets got the RS30 but if a cop pulled you over and was clued on, he'd probably lube you up. Sticking an H6 into an RX would be deemed a major modification, whether it all fits perfectly or not. That's just how it goes. It'd still technically become modified, is it really worth doing while still on your P's? 

The truth is, the Gen3 chassis is over 15 years old now so finding one with less than 150,000km let alone 200,000km will be a mission. 

Perhaps just start saving until the right on comes up?

If there's anything I could have learnt from when I was that age and on P's, it would be to just not rush into things and just enjoy the shitbox I had until I could save up an afford something better. I ended up doing a conversion and putting turbo running gear into my GX wagon. Would I do it again? No forking way. Way too much effort and ended up with a car that was worth squat when it came to moving it on. 

'04 Liberty GT Premium "The Sprog Chariot"

#34 Cam.

Cam.

OEM+

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,906 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 08:47 PM

Converting a H6 outback to manual would be much better and legal.

Planning to do this soon.

Asb2OgK.jpg?1

#35 jordyturnbull

jordyturnbull

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 08:55 PM

I can afford something better,i just love the idea of building my own "better".

The outback is probably the smartest idea, and i can just swap over my current mods.... but what would an 03 rx go for with just over 200kms? absolutely nothing now.

I still can't wrap my head around how i spent over 6k on it a year ago before i got into the forums.

in the end this is my first car, i am mechanically minded and love tinkering, so that's why i'm so obsessed with a build instead of buying a gen 4 3.0 like everyone else.

but if i do end up starting the search for an outback. 

can i do a flex fuel tune or get a tune with 98?

can i expect similar power to a gen 4 spec b with a exhaust, intake and tune ?

what else would i need to convert it with a sti 5 speed or 6 speed, other than loom mods and a cluster ?

oh and would the wider fenders allow me to run 245s or 255s ? i am running 235s on the lib but surely the outback can run wider ?

#36 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,455 posts
  • Interests:Docking

Posted 06 June 2016 - 09:06 PM

can i do a flex fuel tune or get a tune with 98?

can i expect similar power to a gen 4 spec b with a exhaust, intake and tune ?

what else would i need to convert it with a sti 5 speed or 6 speed, other than loom mods and a cluster ?

oh and would the wider fenders allow me to run 245s or 255s ? i am running 235s on the lib but surely the outback can run wider ?

• Tune with 98 with a later model ECU. No flex without going aftermarket
  • Probably not but maybe close. The later EZ30 breathers better
  • matching rear diff and a manual tailshaft, pedal box, clutch, flywheel, flywheel bolts, slave and master cylinder etc etc
  • The flares are cosmetic. They add no clearance

tIeW8DE.png

#37 Cam.

Cam.

OEM+

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,906 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 09:12 PM

30R's are night and day better!

Asb2OgK.jpg?1

#38 Staxta

Staxta

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 10:07 PM

Can probably get decent money for the RX still, what with the WRX p plater ban coming in.

I would say you could get away with a slightly wider tyre with the Outback fenders, I'm running 235s on a 9" wheel with no scrub whatsoever, might get away with 245+ on the right wheel.

30D is life tho

#39 Niko

Niko

Member's Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,511 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 11:05 PM

i figured making this kind of thread on subyclub wouldn't get the same " just buy a gen 4" response of the club lib crowd, i appreciate the effort to respond but i don't like the easy rout. prefer to spend a bit more on something i built myself than just drive a gen 4 with king springs and xxrs with tires too small for my rep wheels.... no offence to anyone with a gen 4 :)

Mate we have a healthy respect for opinions on SC. But you have to respect the fact that most, if not all the regular members are well off our P's. I'm one of the young guys and I'm 25.

From what I can summise, you like the Gen 3, don't want a Gen 4 but want more power and you are mechanically inclined.

Why you think your P-plates skillz need more powah! I don't know but one solution becomes apparent.

B4. Enough power and mechanical fun for anyone to handle.

Done and done, stop trying to reinvent the wheel.

/thread

#40 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts
  • Interests:Subarus, 4wd'n Subarus, travelling Subarus, Tinkering... I could go on!

Posted 06 June 2016 - 11:54 PM

If you're a p plater you're better off spec'ing up suspension handling and brakes. The best way to enhance your driving skills is to work with a less powerful engine as it requires the driver to get the best from their skill sets rather than just planting the right foot with a bigger power plant.

And if you blow up a stock donk in the process you learn from that too ;) get a replacement and don't do it again!

Then get the vehicle you want with the power plant you desire when you can afford it.

My conversion on the L series was totally DIY - loom, gearbox, engine fitment etc. I've been told for an ej22 install it's pretty neat. This was done with a lot of shopping around for parts when they were cheap, I took a punt on the engine condition - did a floor test to check out my wiring loom cut down etc.

It's very different to what you want to do and also for different reasons. A conversion is never finished. You're also looking at other power upgrades, tunes etc so other things will become an issue - you'll just follow the chain of weakests links, many have done it and spent more than they would've on the factory spec unit in the first place!

Young and stupid are a very easy combination to find... We can tell you don't do it for A, B or C etc - at the end of the day if you've made up your mind its your vehicle, insurance, money, licence and life.

If you're willing to put some time into cleaning up your ride to look neat and tidy, then wait for the right buyer you'll be surprised what you'll get for it. Have your parents sell it to keep the p plates off it as this can make a difference in price at the end of the day for some.

My 20c.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
https://www.imageshack.us/i/po1BKrxbj
1BKrxb.jpg
El Freddo's Pics    -    El_Freddo's youtube

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users