• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 Miguel

Miguel

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 14 August 2016 - 10:19 PM

Alrighty, was planning on writing a far better thread for this but imgur messed up my upload order and I gave up on it so enjoy my somewhat out of order rush job of a write up :P.

Bit of backstory first off, with the RS not being the most comfortable car to daily drive, it's quirks making me hate driving it every day as well as not enjoying racking up tonnes of K's/wear and teaar I decided I needed a daily. Needed to be practical, under around 7K, fun and comfortable. My first thought was a PreFL gen4 GT wagon but prices and scarcity for a manual car threw that idea out. I also entertained a Suzuki Swift sport which as much fun as they are to drive the size and the cheap interior compared to my final choice and being right at the top of my price point kinda stopped that too. What I ended up deciding I wanted was a BG Outback, Had it all mapped out in my head, White over grey, dual sunroofs, black leather, RX bumpers, Gen3 BBS, WRX swap. Ticked all the boxes, started looking around for an outback, collecting bits and pieces including this parts RS...

TKWWHjT.jpg
0ZfzLQL.jpg
U7rljQq.jpg

Bought off a mate, Very much nugget spec in the body, reason for sale was the wiring had been butchered horribly and he just got over it. This was after I'd recently resealed the whole engine incl headgaskets, timing belt etc. Mechanically the cars great.

Spec list.

V2 WRX engine
TD05H
Prova W2 ECU
3" TBE
V3 STi gearbox
4.44 Suretrac rearend
Near new BC red coilovers
22mm adjustable rear swaybar(Think it's whiteline but been painted black)
Whiteline ALK
294mm 2 pot frnts with slotted discs

Plenty enough fruit to get me going, instead of an Outback though I ended up picking up this..

O6d4JnR.jpg

1995 BG5A GT, rough, knocking engine, binding auto, black leather though wrong front seats.

Seemed like a good base, obviously a lot of work involved but nothing I couldn't manage. 

Went to New Zealand in May with my dad, had loads of fun, loved all the scenery and the amount of 90s JDM over there is insane. 

We spent 3 nights in Auckland, 3 nights in Rotorua, 1 night in Napier and 3 nights in Wellington, Hit every self serve wreckers on the north island as well as visiting Strongs and Sub-A-Roo. Picked up loads of goodies for my cars :D.

I had planned on going detail here but aforementioned upload issues have turned it into a mess so enjoy a bunch of holiday snaps instead.

Our hire car, JDM Mazda Premacy. trusty workhorse for the 2000+ K's we travelled
Sl2Wxk9.jpg

BpOgkTi.jpg
vkhRJuA.jpg
ChKyR0k.jpg
jrcwtSZ.jpg
YUY0XSF.jpg
FDsK1FL.jpg
1GAtZNJ.jpg
Z7qQc07.jpg
2fY4Vvm.jpg
uO3pUQt.jpg
iWICp7r.jpg
IgM1qB0.jpg
bqt7Kvn.jpg
OkiTrZS.jpg
h45si0S.jpg
T6onS9Q.jpg
GYHotVi.jpg
Hv4BMbb.jpg
dfTZi5c.jpg
0Asaza9.jpg
UwOws1x.jpg
u7lKhKo.jpg
LjMqJ0L.jpg
7zflXyd.jpg

3kmoPUp.jpg
vp6eMDB.jpg
tzRl9Sd.jpg
nCePW4I.jpg
nAHVfJ3.jpg
ixhoscb.jpg
Ew4eBB6.jpg
o1ZnKQh.jpg
N46RerZ.jpg
HDjLzsf.jpg
kesREJW.jpg
9JUxUHG.jpg
bSp7HP7.jpg
cQpVTTs.jpg
BT47euc.jpg
MaRgt44.jpg
NaRZGgE.jpg
zQdzzsF.jpg
D3EZ5pz.jpg
1SKcftX.jpg
5HRlDiN.jpg
NzPqxq1.jpg
tNk7O2u.jpg
5J8CR2J.jpg
a2fNHDU.jpg
cLrzLJ2.jpg
qb4UG8Z.jpg
SFESH9l.jpg
VfY5Mj8.jpg
M2R9cBb.jpg
34oY5Cv.jpg
G3KANEB.jpg
DvAWEvU.jpg
xG6ztcL.jpg
2VoaGav.jpg
SfdGDu0.jpg
vym3BoA.jpg

KClT6q2.jpg
jAVPiWo.jpg
FGSLxUL.jpg
jCFAMdp.jpg
1TXwxSm.jpg
JYYQq2u.jpg
2vKmPIO.jpg
ITte3kY.jpg
4xfrdN6.jpg
OcReHsW.jpg
iySFkM4.jpg
FlSF8LR.jpg
hiJ7bRs.jpg
JiyckTG.jpg
FWQivds.jpg
VwZUSEc.jpg
b26FDbG.jpg
meFwz3N.jpg
wYhfppu.jpg
J5tAdu1.jpg
FMvXBOV.jpg
0ajxtFO.jpg
7Q740KX.jpg
qGr5Qhv.jpg
vOIBzVj.jpg
Vspc5tx.jpg
yiVbmqk.jpg
2lKLZYM.jpg
PAtXCuO.jpg
fPv9NON.jpg
fsVvn0E.jpg
NRTdoZk.jpg
B5Xwze6.jpg
J0GyDPd.jpg
zvB18JD.jpg
YA3IRqu.jpg
cgKnN9L.jpg

AvN2Bn4.jpg
Q9AAW2N.jpg
G0aZMuv.jpg
Xn24t7z.jpg
qsIuxGT.jpg
HzNgIS7.jpg
Z52cqju.jpg
qv1x9MX.jpg
N6z2kJr.jpg
d7gX4hM.jpg
NewDP0r.jpg

Back in Aus, unpacked all my goodies.
0FmVuNn.jpg
VoIWs1G.jpg

Mocked up some bits on the Legacy
Zd4lXB2.jpg
RyFUOFO.jpg

RFRB S1 front lip, S2 tinted tailights, S1 GT V-Limited badge

Nothing happpened for a bit, getting together parts, saving money, cleaning stuff up.

Then a car came up on ebay, I inspected it the day the auction was ending and knew I had to buy it. 
So after all of that here is my new daily.

98 Model Legacy GT
uFTDYdr.jpg
jSyXaYH.jpg
RbcFVvk.jpg
XU1AsSk.jpg
m6s9GkZ.jpg

Love how versatile the rear seat arrangement is in these Series 2's.
HQBxnPz.jpg
Xx2szOJ.jpg
BTz6uVQ.jpg
B4XmERM.jpg

This is far cleaner than the S1 was and came with reg till December. Stoked for $2900. Not without its issues though. When I bought it it was overfuelling like crazy, used half a tank to get it home to Geelong from Eltham and the back of the car looked like this.

1OTh0Gs.jpg

Anytime I even glanced at the throttle it would send clouds of fuel out the back :/
Replacing the airflow meter(FUN FACT: Pink label Nissan Jecs AFM's found on A32 Maximas and S2 R33 Skylines are interchangable with purple label AFM's) partially fixed it but it still had overfuelling issues and was now throwing the dreaded code 66 to boot. It sounded like there was an air leak somewhere around the primary but with a noisy powersteering pump as well it was hard to tell.
I grabbed another pump off a mate so I could diagnose easier and confirmed my suspiscion.

Decided to pull the intercooler off and thought Hmm, that doesn't quite look right.

RGrsji0.jpg

Grabbed some spare TT bits off Ty including 2 intake manifolds and a pair of twins and set to work pulling the intake mani.
8eje5Nw.jpg
e4xjUBb.jpg

uqjaOpk.jpg
VPYTCfG.jpg

Looks like someone had been in to replace all the coolant hoses and forked up the entire intake in the process. Swapped over the under intake pipe with the one of Tys mani and ended up making the PCV F pipe out of irrigation bits from Bunnings. I may end up replacing this and all the other engine rubbers with new OEM parts in future but as yet am undecided on if I'll go singe or not. TBH the twins are kinda neat, they're not bad to drive once it's all working reasonably well and the system isn't all that confusing once you wra your head around it a bit. Time will tell.

I also rebuilt the BBOD when I was chasing issues.
DqVrIeT.jpg

Picked up a rear scuff plate from Japan and installed that, yet to do the door plates.
SEB30pe.jpg

Also bought a shale green upper dash trim, This coupled with the window switches I got in NZ and auto trim Ty had laying around looks a lot cleaner than the woodgrain IMO.
OkFISMI.jpg
rjiYaBN.jpg
GlbkWuA.jpg
4aguDIf.jpg

Removed the ugly aftermarket cruise control as well. Will work out the best way to retrofit OEM cruise. Have found out my dash is already wired for the switch just unsure how much of the rest is already there.

Fitted centre console extension
2G0iX8K.jpg

Cleaned up & fitted Monsoons I got in NZ
Dx86SYA.jpg
MXUidWR.jpg

New rear brakes as the old rotors were stuffed and shuddered badly. WIll install the 294mm fronts as well when I get around to it.
BCa2fCn.jpg
40Jv9yM.jpg

LH turning light wasn't working, tried different bulbs, checked it was getting power and all seemed good. Thanks to steve telling me to wiggle the earth and suddenly it's working. Wiggled a little more and it snapped off :(
3BqYclF.jpg

Bodged it back together for now but will be picking up another light for an unmolested sub loom shortly
ktP6r2J.jpg

Took it into work for a RW
ixvYwW5.jpg

Installed Mitsuba Alpha horns
bUsHwzW.jpg
K4XTo1s.jpg

Put the Syms strut bar off the RS on. It's designed for a BD/BG anyway
znbSLju.jpg

Got something cool from Japan the other day too
LTBIgeT.jpg

She's a biggun
75mDkcB.jpg

Hippo Sleek wang :D
nVty27H.jpg

That about wraps up where I'm at for now. Plans at this stage are to finish tidying it up to a level I'm happy, Install some more fruit and manual swap sometime in the near future. Updates will be coming on the RS too I've just had trouble copying all my photos off my old phone.

Cheers for reading

MjC8i57.jpg

#2 zahmad

zahmad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 14 August 2016 - 10:59 PM

What a read! Best place in the world to own a japanese vehicle NZ is...shame its sucks to find a job that's well enough to stay in the country.

#3 Joss

Joss

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 12:46 AM

Fork you, give us all you legacy bits m9

Wicked read, I made a mess of my pants when I saw those Subaru wreckers, its basically heaven!

Definitely single and manuel plz :D

Anyway, torqued to spec is just the manuals way of saying 'we couldn't get it any tighter, see if you can'.

#4 Adam

Adam

Snack down!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,970 posts
  • Interests:Not knowing things about stuff

Posted 15 August 2016 - 07:28 AM

Sweet as!

(Docking)

Posted Image

#5 Niko

Niko

Member's Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,511 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 11:09 AM

Needs more pics.

#6 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,456 posts
  • Interests:Docking

Posted 15 August 2016 - 11:45 AM

CDq4ees.png
Also the S2 is mint and my jealousy levels are over 9000

tIeW8DE.png

#7 Liberty

Liberty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,869 posts
  • Interests:tl;dr

Posted 15 August 2016 - 11:52 AM

Needs more pics.

+1.

Scrolling game is strong.

Wanting to buy/looking for: single genuine STi rim, genuine STi front lip, Corazon or Zero/Sports grille and another OEM grille

Can you hook a brother up? Please contact me now. I have cash ready.

~

3fxl2Ca.jpg

~

2006 Liberty MY06 3.0R SpecB wagon

#8 CRUISN

CRUISN

Doin it my way.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,970 posts
  • Interests:Family, Surfing, Cars.

Posted 15 August 2016 - 12:06 PM

Excellent. Liking the progress so far.

OEM+

#9 motoboy76

motoboy76

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts
  • Interests:Subaru's, Dirt and road bikes......

Posted 15 August 2016 - 09:34 PM

Looking good...

#10 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts
  • Interests:Subarus, 4wd'n Subarus, travelling Subarus, Tinkering... I could go on!

Posted 16 August 2016 - 09:23 PM

Awesome.  Lots of jelly in this thread!

So what came of the first GT you got?  Parts car?  Those rims look neat on it!

And what a trip to NZ.  I think I need to organise the same!!  Parts yard tour right?  Did you air freight ($$$s) all that back to Oz or sea freight it?

Cheers

Bennie

"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
https://www.imageshack.us/i/po1BKrxbj
1BKrxb.jpg
El Freddo's Pics    -    El_Freddo's youtube

#11 Miguel

Miguel

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 09:42 PM

Awesome.  Lots of jelly in this thread!

So what came of the first GT you got?  Parts car?  Those rims look neat on it!

And what a trip to NZ.  I think I need to organise the same!!  Parts yard tour right?  Did you air freight ($$$s) all that back to Oz or sea freight it?

Cheers

Bennie

Only spent a couple days in wreckers, rest of the time was spent enjoying what NZ has to offer. Bought everything back in checked baggage. Wheels killed me a bit with the excess fees but we arrived at the airport early and prebooked at check in so we knew how much excess to buy so it was less terrifying than it could've been.

First Legacy has been sold to Craig & Louisa, forgot to mention.

MjC8i57.jpg

#12 driftsteve

driftsteve

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 03 September 2016 - 02:07 PM

I thought I was baller bringing back my mountains of stuff from NZ. You out did me Miguel! I'm going to have to go again and up the ante. 

I drove the GT a couple of weeks ago at a subyclub meet. It was nice to drive a well sorted phase1 TT. If you can find one now days, its surely not running right, or its been single converted. 
I love the car for all the options that we (ADM) didn't get. 
The heated seats were awesome. And the centre console extension is uber cool. 
Oh, and the 'fart clearer' sub fan lol. 

#13 DROSS

DROSS

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 10:09 AM

Good read mate. My vote is sort the twins and leave them. A unique and fun engine to drive when running right.

Keen to see where you go with it. 

#14 Miguel

Miguel

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 05:00 PM

Cheers blokes, Seems some things have happened...

Firstly ordered a bunch of bits through partsouq and installed them at work.
wBMDyeP.jpgNew OEM Tie rods, tie rod ends, rack boots, rack mounts, front balljoints, swaybar D bushes as well as Febest swaybar links and engine mounts.
L3Uu2OK.jpg
Old RH engine mount sure was healthy :/
dDKkwfd.jpg
Old vs New comparo.

Save for the engine mounts nothing really had an bad play but having 240 odd K on it meant everything was a bit worn and loose feeling. After an alignment front end sure feels far nicer now.

i6cxxKP.jpg
Picked up an owners manual off Yahoo Japan, even if I can't read it some of the pictures are great.

1nJAVeE.jpg
Found these at Pickapart which I'm stoked about. Have seen them in the JDM brochures but never in real life(and the part numbers are long NLA). Currently on the hunt for a suitable speaker fabric to trim them and the rears in for that proper how these cars should've been before cost cutting measures took hold feels.
EwTsDPq.jpg
Came out of this weirdo spec very early (05/94 compliance) BD Heritage. Cup holder blanking plate and a CD player I've never seen before. Different to the usual Gen1/2 Clarion unit.

Lastly unfortunately need to leave this update on a sad note.
Friday night driving home, going through town and notice coolant steam billowing out the bonnet. Get a bit closer to home and the temp gauge is shooting up. Was only about 5 mins away from home when I noticed the coolant so drove it gently home then open the bonnet to find my overflow pushing heaps, cap missing(hinge was broken already so must've been shot off) and coolant everywhere.
I78Xpfx.jpg

Filled and quickly bled the cooling system somewhat Saturday morning(Took 5 litres :S) Then drove to work to pressure test and confirm headgasket failure.

This sucks somewhat, currently borrowing my mates NA BG to get me to work as of course it happened literaly day before the RS ran out of reg.

On a brighter side have a big Partsouq order coming, seals for everything, timing belt, new under mani intake pipe etc etc etc. Will be doing my manual conversion at the same time too so over the next few weekends I'll have a much tidier, more enjoyable car than I started with.

MjC8i57.jpg

#15 motoboy76

motoboy76

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts
  • Interests:Subaru's, Dirt and road bikes......

Posted 04 September 2016 - 05:07 PM

Sucks about the head gasket...

partsouq is great, love how you can get stuff...

My RS is getting stuff from there as well...

#16 CRUISN

CRUISN

Doin it my way.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,970 posts
  • Interests:Family, Surfing, Cars.

Posted 04 September 2016 - 05:31 PM

I like your updates. :)

OEM+

#17 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts
  • Interests:Subarus, 4wd'n Subarus, travelling Subarus, Tinkering... I could go on!

Posted 04 September 2016 - 06:00 PM

Sucks about the HG. Better than a big end and you've got it rego'd so I guess there's a win in some way there (by comparison to my build that's taking for ever!). But it still sucks! Hopefully no head warpage!

I like the speed that you're able to build/fix things. I wish I had things moving at half the speed of your fixes...

That partsouq place sounds dangerous...

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
https://www.imageshack.us/i/po1BKrxbj
1BKrxb.jpg
El Freddo's Pics    -    El_Freddo's youtube

#18 Miguel

Miguel

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 06:06 PM

142 parts and 4 figures I just spent tells me it's very dangerous indeed :P

MjC8i57.jpg

#19 Robert

Robert

Brappp

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,417 posts
  • Interests:Door Frames

Posted 04 September 2016 - 06:08 PM

Ouch

Hopefully customs don't pick it up on the way in

#20 Miguel

Miguel

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 06:09 PM

Ouch

Hopefully customs don't pick it up on the way in

Gave the customs sliders on checkout a whirl for the first time, will see how I go.

MjC8i57.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users