• Please log in to reply
583 replies to this topic

#61 JDWhiteWRX

JDWhiteWRX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 06:33 PM

Today was a great day for this project! we had a little back and forth this week sending the node measurements over to my friend Dave at davidbenekeconsulting.com/ who not only does FEA for a living but owns and races time attack with a very tidy MY10 wrx hatch in our local wrx club.

Today I went to visit Dave at his work and we played around with my design by adding extra tube, changing tube sizes, connection points etc. I think we ran nine different configurations in total before coming to the conclusion that my original design was actually very good to start with. This was great news for me as I have zero experience in this field and have spent many months reading and researching before coming up with what you saw mocked up with the electrical conduit.

I feel much more confident moving forward now and also really excited by what this means for the build. Reasons to be excited? the whole thing weighs around 30kg and includes a substantial portion of the roll cage, it allows me to remove a lot of sheet metal from the back of the car as this design carries all the loads. To put it in perspective the OEM cradle, just the center part alone without the control arms weighs around 23kg. Then there are the ride height, COG and suspension geometry benefits as well.

In terms of numbers the design gave a result of 16310Nm/°

Follow me on Insta: @brzdiy

#62 JDWhiteWRX

JDWhiteWRX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 07:33 PM

Oh and I also picked up some rear brakes, they were too cheap not to buy  :blush:

2017-06-17%2019.30.09.jpg

#63 LPM_B4

LPM_B4

LPM_FOZ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 03:16 PM

2 years time attack joel?

or next year?

#64 JDWhiteWRX

JDWhiteWRX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 07:48 PM

2 years time attack joel?

or next year?

Not sure mate, there are a few big ticket items I need to buy for this project and I think saving up for them will slow me down the most. I am really enjoying this project and I don't have any reason or need to get it finished quickly. There is a lot of detail to think about for every little part of the build, its almost like a game of chess where you have to think 3 or 4 steps ahead to do things right.

#65 LPM_B4

LPM_B4

LPM_FOZ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 08:11 PM

Not sure mate, there are a few big ticket items I need to buy for this project and I think saving up for them will slow me down the most. I am really enjoying this project and I don't have any reason or need to get it finished quickly. There is a lot of detail to think about for every little part of the build, its almost like a game of chess where you have to think 3 or 4 steps ahead to do things right.

Yeah true, your not going to be cutting any corners, so id say everything will be top notch parts wise when it comes down to the mechanicals.

am i right in seeing sequential box etc that sort of tech or staying more budget that side of things?

#66 JDWhiteWRX

JDWhiteWRX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 08:55 PM

The cost of a sequential box is more than I want to spend on the entire project. This is actually a very low budget build, I have a spreadsheet going with every expense listed so far and it only just tipped over $2.5k after buying those Brembos last week.

#67 Niko

Niko

Member's Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,511 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 03:32 PM

Body parts etc.

Attached Files

#68 LPM_B4

LPM_B4

LPM_FOZ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 07:22 PM

The cost of a sequential box is more than I want to spend on the entire project. This is actually a very low budget build, I have a spreadsheet going with every expense listed so far and it only just tipped over $2.5k after buying those Brembos last week.

haha i was well wrong then.

nothing wrong with budget thats for sure.

I'll be following keenly, have been to time attack last 4 years, wont miss it, best day of the year imo 

#69 JDWhiteWRX

JDWhiteWRX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 10:19 PM

So photobucket has screwed me over and has blocked me from sharing photos unless I pay them $40 per month. This is a pretty big deal as I have over 2000 photos shared on forums dating back to 2007 which are now no longer visible in those threads. They are basically holding my photos to ransom.

For this build thread the future is uncertain as it takes way too long for me to go back and edit every post to re-link the photos. For the time being you can follow the project here. http://www.ft86club....ad.php?t=113817

Hopefully common sense prevails and photobucket will change their mind. Sadly my turbo swapped Outback thread will be dead too.

Joel.

#70 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts
  • Interests:Subarus, 4wd'n Subarus, travelling Subarus, Tinkering... I could go on!

Posted 01 July 2017 - 11:31 PM

That sucks mate.  I'm with imageshack and pay about $40US a year for it - only because I've got pics everywhere.  It used to be free too.  I was thinking just the other day that if any of the major host sites go down there go a lot of forum photos!  Those update for 3rd party hosting photos now make sense :(

I'll check out the other forum for the latest update.

Cheers

Bennie

"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
https://www.imageshack.us/i/po1BKrxbj
1BKrxb.jpg
El Freddo's Pics    -    El_Freddo's youtube

#71 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts
  • Interests:Subarus, 4wd'n Subarus, travelling Subarus, Tinkering... I could go on!

Posted 01 July 2017 - 11:37 PM

Your practice tube work looks awesome mate!  I need to work on skills like that...

Cheers

Bennie

1BKrxb.jpg

#72 Liberty

Liberty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,869 posts
  • Interests:tl;dr

Posted 02 July 2017 - 10:28 AM

The same happened to me with ImageShack. I used to host all of my photos there and bang, all of a sudden they enforced subscriptions to host your photos. Since then I've moved to Imgur but am kinda thinking about hosting images on my server for safe-keeping (I do have backups on my external hard drive of course) but it's definitely a pain in the ass having to change URLs. I have had to do it in my build topic already.

Wanting to buy/looking for: single genuine STi rim, genuine STi front lip, Corazon or Zero/Sports grille and another OEM grille

Can you hook a brother up? Please contact me now. I have cash ready.

~

3fxl2Ca.jpg

~

2006 Liberty MY06 3.0R SpecB wagon

#73 CRUISN

CRUISN

Doin it my way.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,970 posts
  • Interests:Family, Surfing, Cars.

Posted 02 July 2017 - 03:35 PM

Yep its bullshit by photobucket. It seems like blackmail.

OEM+

#74 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,455 posts
  • Interests:Docking

Posted 02 July 2017 - 05:09 PM

IMGUR ftw. Inb4 they start charging too 

tIeW8DE.png

#75 JDWhiteWRX

JDWhiteWRX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 10:26 PM

I took a little break from working on the car, about 5 months actually, but got some work done over the Christmas holidays. The roll cage is coming along well now.

39461121372_c71bac9bc7_c.jpg

25621794278_30ea092da1_c.jpg

39461121112_70115c99d5_c.jpg

27715383249_25bb01def7_c.jpg

27738016189_0f5eea13c1_c.jpg

24646515237_e8bfbb6fbf_c.jpg

25643635808_8a3f9bc03d_c.jpg

Joel.

#76 Niko

Niko

Member's Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,511 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 10:56 AM

Wow, that is some A grade work.

#77 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 09:57 PM

Looking good Joel!!

How will you be welding it all together - in the car?

I ask as a mate's dad is an exhaust builder and has also built many cams approved roll cages. One of the tricks is to drill holes under the cage mounts to allow the cage to effectively drop through the floor. This gives access to then complete the welding on the top side of the cage under the roof that is not normally accessible with the cage in it's correct place.

The holes can have the hole saw off cuts rewelded on the underside of the vehicle with the bottom plate then slid into place and welded as it should be (as in pic 2) or the box section mount point then put in place (as in pic 1).

That's how I understood what I was told without a diagram or actually seeing the process first hand.

Keep up the good work. Glad to see some fresh pics on here (get the plug ins to see photo bucket images).

Cheers

Bennie
1BKrxb.jpg

#78 JDWhiteWRX

JDWhiteWRX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 08:29 AM

Spot on, a picture tells a thousand words. Just got to grind off a couple of tack welds and it will drop down.

39346378481_f6a86e0aab_c.jpg

#79 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 05:14 PM

Awesome!
1BKrxb.jpg

#80 JDWhiteWRX

JDWhiteWRX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 08:40 PM

Corner gussets from above my head and back to the main hoop done.

25790894708_189065af77_c.jpg

The reason I have added the bends in them is to keep them further from my head but also to allow me to upgrade my seat in the future to one of those seats with the extra wrap around head restraint.

and dash bar is done.

25790895538_54a675dcd8_c.jpg

Joel.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users