• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#21 rxliberty2000

rxliberty2000

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 08:39 AM

I was looking at Shanes RSK today with the front bumper off,and his crash bar is tiny in comparison to ours AUDM's,
its pretty much just the top section supporting the bumper,the section you had to cut out wasnt there?
His is an older revision Legacy,but if all JDM Legacy's have a smaller crash bar could this be another option too cutiing up the crash bar?

Though its probably still defectable it'd be alot less noticable??

Just a thought

All of the import legacy's have the smaller crash bars.
To the best of my knowledge its not detectable using an import one.

#22 Samon

Samon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 09:23 AM

good on you for having a go!

i'd be replacing that pvc elbow ASAP.

billsy spec piping! theoretically it should be good, but i don't know how long they go with the clamping forces.

also, as stated, try flipping the core, and you may be able to put the foggies back in!

We used class-18 pressure pipe for the elbow, so it's damn strong! I'd say a wall thickness of 5-6mm, and you'll never crack a tube like that under compression... so I don't see any real need to replace it! We ground a few grooves into the ends with the bench grinder and roughed up the surface with some very coarse sandpaper (i.e. about 40-grit) to make sure the joiners didn't blow off, so there really shouldn't be too many issues.

As for flipping the core, simply not gonna happen if you want to keep ANY resemblance of a crash bar... if you used a shorter core (as in width, not height) and used custom end-tanks (such as an Evo one maybe) you could possibly come up similar to the cold side and keep the foggies, but that would be a 100% custom setup, not using this kit. The way the kit fits up there is NO WAY you can keep the foggies - simply impossible.

I was simply blown away at how little room there was once the bumper was removed - I mean I've got an R33 Skyline and fitting the cooler to that (and it was a MUCH bigger one as well) was a piece of cake compared to this. Did the whole lot in a few hours, including cutting out a chunk of the crash bar and the plastic bumper. The other thing is that we didn't want to cut any more out of the crash bar than we absolutely needed to - this way we were able to only cut the underside and keep the full front face and at worst a small amount of rolled edge along the bottom for strength.

#23 B4Cruiser

B4Cruiser

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 11:20 AM

Nice work mate. :yahoo: Based on feedback from mech, it wasn't a simple 'bolt-on' kit as expected. But final results + tune, feels alot better and as hawk said, no diff in lag/vod and there is an increase in power (mainly midrange torque). But that may be due to the tune. l need my bar to be trimmed down the track to finish it off. Passenger foggie was no chance and needed some cutting to fit the cover back on, but driverside was no dramas.

the big question is... does it flutter!!! haha

Yeh it does, pretty loud too actually. Haven't got a BOV on it yet though; only a cap... Any issues of leaving it with the cap only without a bov?

#24 Samon

Samon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 11:32 AM

Any issues of leaving it with the cap only without a bov?

If your turbos are still in good shape, there'll be no issues (except some decent anti-spooling and boost-drop happening each time the throttle is closed - not the best for driveability!)... but if they're already a bit nackered it *could* speed up their demise.

Driving Hawks' car on the weekend, the boost drop proir to fitting the BOV was actually quite noticable - in my Skyline you really don't notice much difference at all (except of course for the massive SUSUSUSuSususususuuu on every shift, even when off boost!), but that could be to do with the twin setup on the B4 and the fact that I've got a much bigger cooler, etc.

#25 B4Cruiser

B4Cruiser

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 11:41 AM

ah ok thanks. so basically i should get a bov sooner than later. Is there an inexpensive BOV out there that can do the job without the whooooosh? not a big fan. Already has a flutter as is.

For me, drivability is much improved, probably due to the tune. Better midrange torque and less vod. The boost drop you experienced most likely be the VOD. Mine use to drop as much as 0.5bar. I'd recommend Ray from ART if you need a tune hawk (unless u got Tek....). Good bunch of guys to work with.

#26 Samon

Samon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 11:48 AM

Can i ask what the exact measurements of your cooler are?

560x200x90 core - so about 700 wide in total. I bought it to go on the Skyline but ended up going with a much larger one so this had been sitting around in the garage for a good year or so!

#27 B4Cruiser

B4Cruiser

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 11:50 AM

Just FYI on the same topic, mine was a 550x180x63 off Justjaps.

#28 Samon

Samon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 12:00 PM

Is there an inexpensive BOV out there that can do the job without the whooooosh? not a big fan. Already has a flutter as is.

The flutter is because there ISNT a BOV... with a plumb-back BOV it's a nice subtle "pfffffffff"... if you go for an aftermarket Atmo one you'll get the crisp "psshhhh!"

We just used the factory BOV - bought a flange on eBay (like this one) and just drilled new holes in the stock BOV flange to make it mate up (came with the new gasket and bolts, etc). The only pain was trying to get a hose to do the 180º bend required to leave the BOV in the stock location. We ended up silver-soldering up a couple of 1" copper bends - I think Hawks has some pics he can put up when he gets a chance.

For me, drivability is much improved, probably due to the tune. Better midrange torque and less vod. The boost drop you experienced most likely be the VOD. Mine use to drop as much as 0.5bar.

Hmmm... but it always had VoD (I mean that's the B4's "personality" isn't it?) but this was really something else. Almost like taking off from zero each gearshift! Like normally, if you shift reasonably quick nice and high up the rev range, you can stay on boost for the next gear... it felt like you were having to build boost through the lag stage again each time you closed the throttle... I dunno... maybe I'm comparing it to the single torque curve of the Skyline, but it certainly felt worse than when I've driven it before blocking off the BOV.

#29 B4Cruiser

B4Cruiser

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 12:14 PM

Hmmm... but it always had VoD (I mean that's the B4's "personality" isn't it?) but this was really something else. Almost like taking off from zero each gearshift! Like normally, if you shift reasonably quick nice and high up the rev range, you can stay on boost for the next gear... it felt like you were having to build boost through the lag stage again each time you closed the throttle... I dunno... maybe I'm comparing it to the single torque curve of the Skyline, but it certainly felt worse than when I've driven it before blocking off the BOV.

Cool. Get him to post pics up asap for us! :) I'd prefer to use my stock bov if i can. Do you still have the ebay link to the flange? As for the lag you're referring to, that does sound f*cked. On full throttle, my boost holds on 1bar through the shifts.

#30 hawks_123

hawks_123

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 12:17 PM

How much did you pay for your tune?
If it's broke use a cable tie.

#31 B4Cruiser

B4Cruiser

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 12:27 PM

How much did you pay for your tune?

My hotmail is f*cked atm (at work) so can't view the invoice. It was around the $300 mark (but mines auto so took longer).

#32 Delete This Account

Delete This Account

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,635 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 12:28 PM

300 for a tune? what the f**k did you get tuned?

#33 ams

ams

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29,212 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 12:29 PM

The radio.

Ugh i could ramble on for forking days about this stuff.

#34 Delete This Account

Delete This Account

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,635 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 12:30 PM

lol

#35 Samon

Samon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 12:36 PM

The radio.

Hahahahah! :lol: that is gold! I literally LOL'ed at work :P

#36 B4Cruiser

B4Cruiser

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 12:40 PM

he did a remap of Xede as the previous tune from STI was f*cked. Like i said, the auto is a b1tch to tune. If you have a manual, it'd be alot quicker.

#37 hawks_123

hawks_123

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 12:50 PM

The radio.

Hahahahah! :lol: that is gold! I literally LOL'ed at work :P

+1

he did a remap of Xede as the previous tune from STI was f*cked. Like i said, the auto is a b1tch to tune. If you have a manual, it'd be alot quicker.

What's their number and where are they?
If it's broke use a cable tie.

#38 Soop

Soop

Suck, squeeze, bang, blow.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 12:57 PM

000555666777 194 neverhappened DRV, bullshitsvile. (not a stab at the guy ^^, Just poped into my head..)
TSM

#39 Delete This Account

Delete This Account

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,635 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 01:03 PM

and what STI are you on about? S401 tune? or single turbo sti tune ;)

#40 B4Cruiser

B4Cruiser

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 01:14 PM

What's their number and where are they?

94590880. Located in West Heidelberg.

STI as in tuned by Vin from STI Docklands in Melbourne.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users