• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 BG11XV

BG11XV

Brian Gard (BG11XV)

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • Interests:driving, fishing, photography, rallies, historic racing, cricket, downhill mtb, bbqs,

car mods, electrical work, diy mechanical work

Posted 25 June 2017 - 01:33 AM

hey everyone 

im hoping one of the gurus on here will know or have done this before 

so i have a 1996 outback with the (as far as i know) phase 1 ej25d. auto 

and was looking last week at options for engines that will drop straight in without changing ecu or any other electronics 

then i stumbled across some wiki info that suggests the phase 2 is the same engine but an extra 10hp 

WIKI INFO

EJ25D[edit]
There were two variations of the EJ25D sold in the US market. The engine was introduced in 1996 in the Legacy 2.5GT, LSi, and Legacy Outback. That version of the engine used HLA heads, was recommended to be run on 91 octane fuel, had lower power and torque ratings than the later '97-99 EJ25D, and was only offered with an automatic transmission. In 1997 a revised engine was introduced that used heads with shimmed bucket lifters (versus the HLAs), was designed to run on 87 octane fuel, and was available with either a manual or automatic transmission. Because of the DOHC valve architecture, the spark plugs are more difficult to service in comparison to SOHC variations. The DOHC engines are therefore installed with platinum spark plugs and an extended spark plug service life of 80,000 miles (128,747.5 km). The EJ25D uses smaller 48mm rod journals, compared to the 2.2L of the same year, and the 1999+ 2.5L engines which use a 52mm rod journal. As well, the EJ25D from the 1999 Outback is a one year only factory hybrid, which uses the phase 2 case halves with an 8 bolt bell housing (as opposed to the 4 bolt bell housing used until 1998), uses a phase 2 crankshaft and rods with 52mm rod journals, but retains the same pistons as the 1997-1998 variant to maintain the same compression ratio. The 1996 EJ25D uses different pistons than what was used for 1997-1999, which will increase the compression ratio significantly if combined with 1997-1999 EJ25D heads.

DOHC (1996) - SAE - 155 hp (116 kW) @ 5600 rpm
140 ft·lbf (190 N·m) at 2800 rpm
DOHC (1997–1999) - SAE - 165 hp (123 kW) @ 5600 rpm
162 ft·lbf (220 N·m) at 4000 rpm

Usage

Impreza 2.5RS 98
Legacy/Outback 96~99
Forester 98

ive highlighted the info that im asking about 
if anyone knows if i can continue to look for an engine from a 98 impreza 99 outback or 98 forester and it CAN be simply rebuilt and dropped in and turn the key 

that would be amazing 

cheers in advance

PHOTOSHOP MOCK UP

#2 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,456 posts
  • Interests:Docking

Posted 25 June 2017 - 09:45 AM

That is all american info. Pretty much useless in Australia. I don't think we got the phase 1 25D.

Besides that's a lot of money and effort for 10Hp at the crank, which would be about 1 at the wheels. Would be better of saving for a 3/4 wrx conversion which is very straight forward for a gen 2 with a 25D

tIeW8DE.png

#3 Beckers

Beckers

OMAR Cubt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • Interests:Docking and eating dry meat, Living lyf in the TT VOD

Posted 25 June 2017 - 10:33 AM

That is all american info. Pretty much useless in Australia. I don't think we got the phase 1 25D.

Besides that's a lot of money and effort for 10Hp. Would be better of saving for a 3/4 wrx conversion which is very straight forward for a gen 2 with a 25D

This +1M.

Plus the gen2's are so easy to convert.

#4 Staxta

Staxta

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 10:56 AM

I think there is a phase 1 motor in Australia, mine had a different set of heads at least, they have different spark plug gaskets

+2 for v3/v4

#5 BG11XV

BG11XV

Brian Gard (BG11XV)

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • Interests:driving, fishing, photography, rallies, historic racing, cricket, downhill mtb, bbqs,

car mods, electrical work, diy mechanical work

Posted 25 June 2017 - 02:22 PM

Im not really interesred in the hp that stuff doesnt bother me . Main reason im looking for it is its a few years newer and it uses the newer style pulley timinng tensioner instead of the pin type

Im just looking around id be happy with any 2.5d that will drop straight in just from a newer model suby thats all

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
Just to add also

Im not converting my car im not interested in turbos on this car if i buy a new car then i will buy a car with a factory turbo but at this point im keeping this car as is for atleast another 8 years

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
PHOTOSHOP MOCK UP

#6 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,456 posts
  • Interests:Docking

Posted 25 June 2017 - 03:14 PM

You can just change the tensioner mount from any newer model engine.

tIeW8DE.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users