Photo

What to buy?? WRX hatch, GT wagon, B4???

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#1 latitude777

latitude777

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 02:57 PM

Ok So i currently own a 2001 liberty rx sedan which is a nice car but i want more punch, love the AWD and will definately go suby again! Now the question is... Do i go WRX hatch or GT wagon lib again?!??! Price difference seems crazy but what do you get?? The WRX hatch is obviously smaller, (i need the hatch for room) but is cheaper, i can get a 01-02 bugeye hatch for around $15k with only 120k on the clock... The lib GT wagons however are very pricey... You cant get a gen 3 GT for less than 20 these days and all the ones i've seen are autos!!! WRX's seem easier to modify, get parts off the shelf for... IS the ride of the Liberty that much better than the wrx? I know the interior is definately nicer in the lib.. but worth the extra dosh???? Your thoughts on both if you have owned either would be appreciated!!!

#2 buzzda

buzzda

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,370 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 03:26 PM

I'd stick with a lib, not that there's anything wrong with a rexy. comparing a 00 RX impreza hatch (with W/L swaybars & endlinks) to my 02 B4 ( W/L s/bars, endlinks) I'd say the ride is alot better in the B4.

#3 Delete This Account

Delete This Account

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,635 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 03:48 PM

I liked my RX better than my B4, but then again my RX was fairly hot ;)

#4 skillionaire

skillionaire

Mr. Freshley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 04:01 PM

Hi, I'd probably got the rex if I lived in a city. Cheers, Nik

#5 Pete S

Pete S

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 04:31 PM

get a wrx instead of buying a liberty and putting all wrx bits on it like half the liberty enthusiasts. They're a complete performance car (not comfy family sedan). Expect a loss in ride smoothness but it's not a big deal.

#6 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 04:40 PM

parts much easier to come buy for the wrx. such a tight chassis. having driven both a gen4 sedan and wrx sedan the difference is huge (both stock suspension) wrx goes better wrx has less room (by a bit too) wrx not as comfy wrx bit more noticeable could go on and on. dont get a freakin bugeye hatch. they are so ugly!! especially when the 03 is a couple grand more! also you get AVCS in the 03.

MY07 GT spec B

#7 Guest_aurelius_*

Guest_aurelius_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 August 2009 - 06:59 PM

rex rex rex

#8 hawks_123

hawks_123

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 07:10 PM

That's a pretty broad question, what will you be using the car for? Rex might not be the best idea if your doing long trips or on bumpy roads. I reckon for a road car you should go a Lib If your want a track car go a rex (but not the bugeye)
If it's broke use a cable tie.

#9 latitude777

latitude777

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 07:44 PM

parts much easier to come buy for the wrx.
such a tight chassis. having driven both a gen4 sedan and wrx sedan the difference is huge (both stock suspension)
wrx goes better
wrx has less room (by a bit too)
wrx not as comfy
wrx bit more noticeable

could go on and on.

dont get a freakin bugeye hatch. they are so ugly!! especially when the 03 is a couple grand more! also you get AVCS in the 03.

Ok So whats the deal with the AVCS??? New to the whole suby world...

Not too worried about ride comfort, i've had low ass cars all my life. my lib actually rides soft for a low car...

Purpose...Hmm thats a complex one.. Will be mainly a runabout/toy..., family may come soonish too (hence the hatch) but will be my toy eventually once we buy a second car. Dont mind the bugeye look but thats a personal preferance.. i do prefer the model afterwards though..

#10 buzzda

buzzda

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,370 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 08:33 PM

Ok So whats the deal with the AVCS??? New to the whole suby world...

Not too worried about ride comfort, i've had low ass cars all my life. my lib actually rides soft for a low car...

Purpose...Hmm thats a complex one.. Will be mainly a runabout/toy..., family may come soonish too (hence the hatch) but will be my toy eventually once we buy a second car. Dont mind the bugeye look but thats a personal preferance.. i do prefer the model afterwards though..

After reading that...get a rex

for what you want it will be perfect.

Get the peanut.

#11 buddylove

buddylove

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 08:50 PM

get a wrx instead of buying a liberty and putting all wrx bits on it like half the liberty enthusiasts. They're a complete performance car (not comfy family sedan). Expect a loss in ride smoothness but it's not a big deal.

crap... i think i fall into that category..

wrx engine.
wrx brakes.
wrx rims... guilty as charged.

Its such an awesome sleeper though.. thats something very hard to acomplish with a wrx partly because of the "reputation"...
but they are pretty damn sexy.

MY07 GT-B 6MT Sedan

#12 Chadza

Chadza

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 08:52 PM

what about the alternative- a Liberty GT-B wagon? The power and style of a B4 in a wagon! Best of both worlds. May not suit your last bit about intended use....but minor detail!
MY02 Blue Pearl B4 Manual - 185KW atw
Ecutek Stage 2, 3" DBE, Walbro FP, Hyperflow CAI
14.2 @ 158kph

#13 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 09:16 PM

twin turbo = fail. liberty = win. legacy = epic win. it all depends on what you think you could live with. i don't like the five-oh, and hence, my ride is of a slightly less attention seeking nature. that doesn't stop me having a little bit of fun though...

#14 latitude777

latitude777

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 09:47 PM

See the legacy GT-b wagon was originally high on my list.. Family car and with the punch too... Only thing is, they are pricey... dont want to go back to a gen II for the sake of the turbo, would rather stay with the gen III.. But as i mentioned before, they are going for $20k... i can get a decent later model wrx for that cash.. Now tell me the deal with the turbo thing...Twin turbo or single turbo?? Which model is which? Any why avoid the twin turbo?? I've heard this a few times..

#15 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 10:19 PM

twin turbos are OK. if you don't plan on modifying them. some people would disagree, but this is what I have found. Not much more power can be yielded from them... On a real world dyno, I made 161kw on my GTB TT. Respectable figures, but with the new combo (single turbo) I'm getting fitted up, 200kw won't be too much to ask. WRX are for the fanboiz. I'm not a fan personally, and If I were to go an impreza, I'd go STi straight off the bat. But, they attract way too much negative attention, so I'm happy with my Legacy GTB, and modifying it to suit my taste as time goes on.

#16 legacy rsk

legacy rsk

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 10:24 PM

gen 4 gtb hands downs the winner

1d3cb771-b699-4175-8507-6d835cbca0d8_zps

#17 latitude777

latitude777

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 10:48 PM

gen 4 gtb hands downs the winner

So does the GTB come in single turbo configuration? or are all the GTB's twins??

Is there a liberty wagon that comes out with a single turbo standard??

#18 legacy rsk

legacy rsk

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 11:29 PM

gen 2 & 3 gtb are all twin turbo from factor gen 4

#19 buddylove

buddylove

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 11:40 PM

So does the GTB come in single turbo configuration? or are all the GTB's twins??

Is there a liberty wagon that comes out with a single turbo standard??

Liberty Rs
Gen 4 Liberty GT
to name a few.

Im not sure but the jdm liberty gen 2 rs might of been single as well.

MY07 GT-B 6MT Sedan

#20 legacy rsk

legacy rsk

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 11:50 PM

Liberty Rs
Gen 4 Liberty GT
to name a few.

Im not sure but the jdm liberty gen 2 rs might of been single as well.

wrong gen 2 are all twin turbo

gen 2 & 3 gtb are all twin turbo from factory

gen 4 single turbo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users