Photo

What to buy?? WRX hatch, GT wagon, B4???

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#41 legacy rsk

legacy rsk

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 08:16 PM

19psi on a 20g is massive for an unopened 2.5!! your nuts man!

gtps02 on 17psi with a sti tmic and tbe made 217awkw in third (over 200 in fourth). you cant argue with that for reliability and bang for buck. thats only around $3-4k in upgrades.

are you reaaaaaaaally going to argue that point? look at subarus range...which model is the most performance orientated, greater range for upgrades, quicker 0-100 and quarter mile, quicker around the track AND AND AND AND.

go to japan and have a look what is most popular to mod out of the subarus. alex wake up i know you live in wollongong but you do have the internet i think, i would not bother arguing with people who think they know everything and know very little. so now you drive a wrx they are the best, alex i have owned one also

1d3cb771-b699-4175-8507-6d835cbca0d8_zps

#42 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 08:29 PM

yea alex I had the gtps02, 06 sti tmic, tbe, avo silicon inlet, PW cai, walbro n sard reg. Michael South had to port the wastegate as it was hitting something like 22psi at 3000rpm with the gate fully opened.

I never got a dyno figure but was sure it was pumping out something decent. I guess that confirms it was up there and way too much for an unopened motor.

Brilliant turbo though, If I could do things again I would have spent the $2k on building the motor. At the time when the AUD was great against the US, could have got CP pistons, eagle rods and acl bearings for $1100 delivered!!!

at 19psi i take it would of been pushing 220-230! MS wont touch any 2.5 litre with bigger turbo unless they've had pistons upgraded!

go to japan and have a look what is most popular to mod out of the subarus. alex wake up i know you live in wollongong but you do have the internet i think, i would not bother arguing with people who think they know everything and know very little. so now you drive a wrx they are the best, alex i have owned one also

you've got to be kidding me. are you really going to start such a stupid arguement? do i have the internet? what am i using to access this forum! i don't give a rats if you've been to japan or not i know the impreza is a much more popular car to modify on a WORLDWIDE scale! there is no arguement in the availability of parts for the wrx and support. why do all the big japanese tuning companies use WRX STi's to modify the bejesus out of to run around tracks such as Tsukuba. I've owned or driven nearly every model of Subaru since the early 90's and theres no denying the things that i have said!

MY07 GT spec B

#43 Pete S

Pete S

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 08:51 PM

at 19psi i take it would of been pushing 220-230! MS wont touch any 2.5 litre with bigger turbo unless they've had pistons upgraded!

Yeah I may have contributed to that, he insisted on a vf34 but I wasn't keen on its top end. He did say the tune was safe and I need not worry. Can't really blame the guy but I have to admit I was really disappointed. Hadn't heard of any other motors letting go that he's tuned.

The impreza is by far the car of choice for modifying on a worldwide scale. Rally, tarmac events, gymkhana's, hill climbs, street, drag and the list goes on. Abundance of parts, and tuning shops. May be different in japan but in the states and australia there is just no market for it.

#44 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 08:54 PM

Yeah I may have contributed to that, he insisted on a vf34 but I wasn't keen on its top end. He did say the tune was safe and I need not worry. Can't really blame the guy but I have to admit I was really disappointed. Hadn't heard of any other motors letting go that he's tuned.

The impreza is by far the car of choice for modifying on a worldwide scale. Rally, tarmac events, gymkhana's, hill climbs, street, drag and the list goes on. Abundance of parts, and tuning shops. May be different in japan but in the states and australia there is just no market for it.

who's idea was it to raise the redline? there are plenty of guys now running 200-210 on the stock motor for 12months +

i've already got my eye on the basic mods but once and/or if anything serious happens pistons will be a minimum.

MY07 GT spec B

#45 Pete S

Pete S

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 08:57 PM

who's idea was it to raise the redline? there are plenty of guys now running 200-210 on the stock motor for 12months +

Michael's, I didn't know anything about it just picked the car up and he let me know what he did. No pitting on the piston crown so apparently it wasn't detonation, machine shop had a look at the piston and believe it was from high revs.

#46 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 08:58 PM

horses for courses. wrx is harsh and unrefined. a little more motorsport oriented. legacy is refined, comfortable. more touring oriented. my car is the best of both worlds :) that, and the fact that its a wolf in sheep's clothing, makes it the most attractive proposition for me! stealth is where its at! driving a wrx is like waving a red flag to the constabulary bull! (not to mention criminals!)

#47 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 09:11 PM

Michael's, I didn't know anything about it just picked the car up and he let me know what he did. No pitting on the piston crown so apparently it wasn't detonation, machine shop had a look at the piston and believe it was from high revs.

thats pretty strange... normally there is some sort of reason for upping the rev limit.

horses for courses.

wrx is harsh and unrefined. a little more motorsport oriented.

legacy is refined, comfortable. more touring oriented.

my car is the best of both worlds :)

that, and the fact that its a wolf in sheep's clothing, makes it the most attractive proposition for me!

stealth is where its at! driving a wrx is like waving a red flag to the constabulary bull! (not to mention criminals!)

my rex is a lot more refined than my liberty thats for sure! you cant compare the chassis' as they are lightyears apart in stability and safety etc etc.

i agree with the sleeper definately attracts less attention, but to each their own.

MY07 GT spec B

#48 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 09:39 PM

thats pretty strange... normally there is some sort of reason for upping the rev limit.

my rex is a lot more refined than my liberty thats for sure! you cant compare the chassis' as they are lightyears apart in stability and safety etc etc.

i agree with the sleeper definately attracts less attention, but to each their own.

but your chassis and suspension was nothing to compare to mine!

i agree, but lets compare apples with apples, Alex. In terms of refinement and sophistication, MY07 WRX < MY07 Liberty/Legacy GTB. Yeah?
Bilsteins **** all over KYB's. Known fact.

You have to remember, the WRX is rather watered down compared to the lib/leg, 1) for costs sake, 2) to cater for a particular market (boy racers who've just upgraded from most likely an NA car).

Lets not deny it. The WRX is entry level subaru turbo material, compared to anything in the same vintage.

#49 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 09:44 PM

but your chassis and suspension was nothing to compare to mine!

i agree, but lets compare apples with apples, Alex. In terms of refinement and sophistication, MY07 WRX < MY07 Liberty/Legacy GTB. Yeah?
Bilsteins **** all over KYB's. Known fact.

You have to remember, the WRX is rather watered down compared to the lib/leg, 1) for costs sake, 2) to cater for a particular market (boy racers who've just upgraded from most likely an NA car).

Lets not deny it. The WRX is entry level subaru turbo material, compared to anything in the same vintage.

massive difference there though... you've spent over $2k on your suspension mods!

the main point i'm trying to make is the WRX is a much more performance orientated car, bang for buck you just cant compete with a liberty!

MY07 GT spec B

#50 ams

ams

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29,212 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 09:48 PM

I agree with Alex. Apples with apples. Lib's and wrx's are designed for different purposes and for different markets. I bought a Lib knowing full well it wasn't a wrx. My suggestion - go drive one of each. Whichever you like more, get it. Nothing like a seat-of-the-pants test to tell you which you prefer.

Ugh i could ramble on for forking days about this stuff.

#51 Chadza

Chadza

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 09:54 PM

wow talk about thread drift! I think I started this off so apologies to the original thread starter!! The post was originally about a daily driver, now when i think daily, I think COMFORT. I haven't sat in a wrx that I would call comfortable yet. For me the B4 is the best of both worlds, nice comfy interior with some refinement, and it has the power to match. I could go on and on, but we all love our cars as why else would be have spent our hard earned on them! We might just have to agree to disagree!
MY02 Blue Pearl B4 Manual - 185KW atw
Ecutek Stage 2, 3" DBE, Walbro FP, Hyperflow CAI
14.2 @ 158kph

#52 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 10:14 PM

wow talk about thread drift! I think I started this off so apologies to the original thread starter!!

The post was originally about a daily driver, now when i think daily, I think COMFORT. I haven't sat in a wrx that I would call comfortable yet. For me the B4 is the best of both worlds, nice comfy interior with some refinement, and it has the power to match. I could go on and on, but we all love our cars as why else would be have spent our hard earned on them!

We might just have to agree to disagree!

Yeah, the question asked surely did open pandora's box!

Now...what question needs to be asked to open salma hayek's box?

hmmmmm.....

#53 Delete This Account

Delete This Account

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,635 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 10:19 PM

Now...what question needs to be asked to open salma hayek's box?

a little gentle persuasion and a lot of money should do it

and back on topic, pfffft all subarus are the same

#54 buzzda

buzzda

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,370 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 07:26 AM

horses for courses.

wrx is harsh and unrefined. a little more motorsport oriented.

legacy is refined, comfortable. more touring oriented.

my car is the best of both worlds :)

that, and the fact that its a wolf in sheep's clothing, makes it the most attractive proposition for me!

stealth is where its at! driving a wrx is like waving a red flag to the constabulary bull! (not to mention criminals!)

That sums it up well.

my vote is def in the lib camp tho for the comfort level and sleeper effect.

#55 Delete This Account

Delete This Account

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,635 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 08:25 AM

If you have ever driven in an sti for over 1 or 2 hours you will notice how hard the seats really are! not too good on long drives (i assume the wrx seats are similar) i vote for lib/leg, more stealth ;)

#56 hawks_123

hawks_123

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 11:05 AM

Buy both! Then you don't have to choose :D
If it's broke use a cable tie.

#57 buzzda

buzzda

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,370 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 11:19 AM

Buy both! Then you don't have to choose :D

Then you'd have to choose which one the missus gets to drive :unsure:

#58 Ericmcg

Ericmcg

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 09:06 AM

Its horses for courses, i tried both before i bought my B4 and i thought the WRX was uncomfortable and a little hard to live with as a daily driver and the bugeye version is just plain fugly. Take both out for as long a test drive as you can, thats the best advise i can give, its what i did..
Posted Image Posted Image

#59 Delete This Account

Delete This Account

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,635 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 09:09 AM

Take both out for as long a test drive as you can, thats the best advise i can give, its what i did..

Thats probably the best thing you can do, take the longest test drive you can,

They let me test drive mine for a whole day to make sure its the right choice, take it through the hills and for a long drive etc.

#60 Dylan

Dylan

Almost gen2 time.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,236 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 01:47 PM

Guys. You've got it all wrong.

In a car that you love and that goes like the **** you don't need award winning comfort, you don't need shocks that soak up all the crappy bumps and ditches in Australian roads - you learn to live with the harshness of the ride and the firm yet huggy bucket seats.

I live my life 1/4 mile at a time, and so should you all.

Posted Image

Edited by Dylan, 27 August 2009 - 02:03 PM.
Made picture work. Also counted to potato.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users