Photo

What to buy?? WRX hatch, GT wagon, B4???

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#21 buddylove

buddylove

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 07:06 AM

wrong gen 2 are all twin turbo

ahh. yeah the gen 2 rs used the EJ20R motor.

MY07 GT-B 6MT Sedan

#22 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 08:36 AM

ahh. yeah the gen 2 rs used the EJ20R motor.

wrong again.

It was only the MANUAL GTB/RSB that had the EJ20R motor.
Everything else had the EJ20H.

#23 latitude777

latitude777

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 09:17 AM

wrong gen 2 are all twin turbo

If this is the case, then i'm leaning towards the wrx hatch..
If twin turbo's are no good for modifying etc then i dont want the headaches associated with trial and error and $$$ for that matter also...

I'd rather go down the known road and join the rest of the masses with the WRX conveniance...

OR i buy a standard genIII wagon and do an STI conversion... that would still be cheaper than a GTB wagon...

#24 B4TT

B4TT

Soviet Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,547 posts
  • Interests:Rodina-Mat

Posted 23 August 2009 - 10:06 AM

I can think of a case were the Twin are far better then single :P I drove a 2000 model GT Forester the other day... it was lag lag lag lag lag lag 3K and boost...... and not even as strong as my secondary... I could not live with the massive lack of downlow power those things have.

#25 Pete S

Pete S

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 10:53 AM

it's a forester..... can't compare that to a wrx. I don't know what it's like driving a 2L single but the 2.5s are alright down low, stock turbo's are a bit of a dud. With a few mods and a bigger turbo, it's all over for the twins. I still haven't been in a twin turbo liberty that has made me go wow. Is there anyone out there that has even pulled a solid 200+ kw, 4th gear non happy dyno run?

#26 Chadza

Chadza

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 12:38 PM

a bit off topic, but its not ALL about top end power guys....some of us (me!) like the low down torque of the twins. I couldn't care less if I had a power machine that made all its power above 5grand, its USELESS for day to day driving.
MY02 Blue Pearl B4 Manual - 185KW atw
Ecutek Stage 2, 3" DBE, Walbro FP, Hyperflow CAI
14.2 @ 158kph

#27 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 01:13 PM

a bit off topic, but its not ALL about top end power guys....some of us (me!) like the low down torque of the twins. I couldn't care less if I had a power machine that made all its power above 5grand, its USELESS for day to day driving.

have you driven in the suby 2.5 litre turbo????

if you havent you will want to sell up and get one once you have :D has it ALL over the twins.

MY07 GT spec B

#28 Pete S

Pete S

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 01:17 PM

it's not like we're talking about supra's with gt47-88's, they aren't that laggy and produce more than enough down low torque for day to day driving. even so, i'd still rather a laggy power monster than a more 'street' car.

#29 Chadza

Chadza

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 01:18 PM

I have actually. An MY09 GT-B. I wasn't that impressed. I would have one with some engine mods and a retune, but in standard trim I'll take my B4 any day.
MY02 Blue Pearl B4 Manual - 185KW atw
Ecutek Stage 2, 3" DBE, Walbro FP, Hyperflow CAI
14.2 @ 158kph

#30 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 01:30 PM

I have actually. An MY09 GT-B. I wasn't that impressed. I would have one with some engine mods and a retune, but in standard trim I'll take my B4 any day.

thats because your b4 has 185kw atw...

forgot to add, drive a REX 2.5l in comparison to the liberty GT. they are a much lighter/nimble car with much nicer short gearing.

there is a reason for the liberty and rex being in the subaru range. one is a comfort cruiser the other is more performance orientated.

MY07 GT spec B

#31 Pete S

Pete S

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 01:34 PM

I also found the new gt-b to be lacking, drove a friends my08. They're okay but seem to have no character or offer a fun driving experience. Much prefer the raw ride of the wrx. Alex did you load the map onto your ecu?

#32 legacy rsk

legacy rsk

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 05:00 PM

what has turbo lag got to do with every day driving? everyday driving you dont need any boost....racing you need boost and then you stay up high in the higher rev range anyway. i owned a 94 wrx and it had no boost until around 4000 rpm. was great as an everyday car. was easy to drive as you could keep it from boosting all the time, but when you wanted boost it was there and easy to keep on boost also.

1d3cb771-b699-4175-8507-6d835cbca0d8_zps

#33 latitude777

latitude777

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 06:10 PM

what has turbo lag got to do with every day driving? everydsay driving you dont need any boost....racing you need boost and then you stay up high in the higher rev range anyway. i owned a 94 wrx and it had no boost until around 4000 rpm. was great as an everyday car. was easy to drive as you could keep it from boosting all the time, but when you wanted boost it was there and easy to keep on boost also.

Not worried about lag, just driveability and fun!

#34 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 06:52 PM

I also found the new gt-b to be lacking, drove a friends my08. They're okay but seem to have no character or offer a fun driving experience. Much prefer the raw ride of the wrx.

Alex did you load the map onto your ecu?

not yet, getting exhaust fitted next week then getting the tune done from 555 motorsports. already got my wideband and tactrix cable.

MY07 GT spec B

#35 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 07:19 PM

not yet, getting exhaust fitted next week then getting the tune done from 555 motorsports. already got my wideband and tactrix cable.

uh oh.

here we go again!!

hai Petar!!!

#36 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 07:25 PM

uh oh.

here we go again!!

hai Petar!!!

haha piss off :D

i absolutely loved my car and still the libertys. but there is no denying the wrx is far superior when it comes to anything related to performance!!!

MY07 GT spec B

#37 Pete S

Pete S

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 07:26 PM

uh oh.

here we go again!!

hai Petar!!!

lol it's not quite the same as running a td05-20g at 19psi and increasing redline to 7200rpm, also bouncing off the limiter any chance I got. My tune was sweet as just not meant to be on stock pistons. Still, it got tristan and dylan giggling like school girls even when my CEL was on and not running right.

I'd say anything up to 190kw is alright on the 2.5's. A few in question running 240-250kw for 6months but their pistons eventually shat it as well. I was just the unlucky one to have it last 3 weeks @ possibly 210-220kw.

#38 legacy rsk

legacy rsk

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 07:30 PM

haha piss off :D

i absolutely loved my car and still the libertys. but there is no denying the wrx is far superior when it comes to anything related to performance!!!

bullsh#t..

1d3cb771-b699-4175-8507-6d835cbca0d8_zps

#39 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 07:57 PM

lol it's not quite the same as running a td05-20g at 19psi and increasing redline to 7200rpm, also bouncing off the limiter any chance I got. My tune was sweet as just not meant to be on stock pistons. Still, it got tristan and dylan giggling like school girls even when my CEL was on and not running right.

I'd say anything up to 190kw is alright on the 2.5's. A few in question running 240-250kw for 6months but their pistons eventually shat it as well. I was just the unlucky one to have it last 3 weeks @ possibly 210-220kw.

19psi on a 20g is massive for an unopened 2.5!! your nuts man!

gtps02 on 17psi with a sti tmic and tbe made 217awkw in third (over 200 in fourth). you cant argue with that for reliability and bang for buck. thats only around $3-4k in upgrades.

bullsh#t..

are you reaaaaaaaally going to argue that point? look at subarus range...which model is the most performance orientated, greater range for upgrades, quicker 0-100 and quarter mile, quicker around the track AND AND AND AND.

MY07 GT spec B

#40 Pete S

Pete S

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 08:01 PM

yea alex I had the gtps02, 06 sti tmic, tbe, avo silicon inlet, PW cai, walbro n sard reg. Michael South had to port the wastegate as it was hitting something like 22psi at 3000rpm with the gate fully opened. I never got a dyno figure but was sure it was pumping out something decent. I guess that confirms it was up there and way too much for an unopened motor. Brilliant turbo though, If I could do things again I would have spent the $2k on building the motor. At the time when the AUD was great against the US, could have got CP pistons, eagle rods and acl bearings for $1100 delivered!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users