• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#21 Shiv

Shiv

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,741 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 08:54 PM

Alex and Paul - I respect what you guys are saying given your experience. However, my experience as a customer differs and I still believe that if the painter cannot match the paint properly, one should consider another painter that can. Otherwise you'll be paying more money unnecesarily. The work done on my car is flawless. When I got it back, I looked at it countless times in all conditions and its 100% a perfect match with the front guards. Any of the members here are more than welcome to check it out for themselves and I'll gladly pass on the details of the mob that did it. And mine is a metallic colour which according to Paul is harder to match than non-met. So my advise is shop around and pay that little bit extra (per panel) where they match the colour up perfectly, rather than paying more (overall) for doing more panels, only to have a colour change halfway along the car where the old meets the new.

liftbacktestCustom3_zps39c01efc.jpg

#22 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 09:26 PM

So my advise is shop around and pay that little bit extra (per panel) where they match the colour up perfectly, rather than paying more (overall) for doing more panels, only to have a colour change halfway along the car where the old meets the new.

you can't pick and choose this... every car is going to be different with a different painter.

also front/rear bars (plastic) can differ from metal panels.

MY07 GT spec B

#23 Shiv

Shiv

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,741 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 10:13 PM

you can't pick and choose this....

I did.

My painter insisted without question that they could match the paint up properly. He showed me work they had done on other cars such as an STi Lib which was waiting to be picked up by its owner and that spoke for itself.

As I said before - it pays to shop around. I would've gotten about 4-5 quotes and the shop that ended up doing the work on my car was the shop that gave me the highest quote, but it was worth it because it was done right the first time, rather than all this nonsense of taking the car back and getting it done again again.

#24 Soop

Soop

Suck, squeeze, bang, blow.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 02:52 AM

Dude. Do you even know how the shit works? It would take so long to explain it all properly, its just not worth the effort. Regardless of colour, you will never get a 100% match. Some matches will be better then others, but that can all come down to the time, day, place and what the painter had for farken breakfast. 50% of the "match" will come down to how the paint is applied, temperature of the panel and the ambient. The direction the flake falls in. The manufactuing process of the paint differs from brand to brand, so the metalic particles may sit differently. The thinning ratio could be different. The colour out ability of the paint may very. So in short, it can look close, but will never be 100% the same. It just wont. You wil NEVER get an edge to edge finish that doesn't look a little out. Ever. Thats why the whole BLENDING technique is taught at trade school. Its not a dodgy way for crap painters to get away with being crap. Its a Legit technique that is implimented everywhere. To be frank, you wouldn't know if he blended it. Which is the whole point of blending. Paint repairs are all illusions. Think of it as the painter trying to hide your f*ck up. All sorts of tricks are used to draw your attention away from the damaged area. Beauty in the eye of the beholder.
TSM

#25 Shiv

Shiv

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,741 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 09:16 AM

Dude. Do you even know how the shit works?
It would take so long to explain it all properly, its just not worth the effort. Regardless of colour, you will never get a 100% match. Some matches will be better then others, but that can all come down to the time, day, place and what the painter had for farken breakfast. 50% of the "match" will come down to how the paint is applied, temperature of the panel and the ambient. The direction the flake falls in. The manufactuing process of the paint differs from brand to brand, so the metalic particles may sit differently. The thinning ratio could be different. The colour out ability of the paint may very.

So in short, it can look close, but will never be 100% the same. It just wont.
You wil NEVER get an edge to edge finish that doesn't look a little out. Ever. Thats why the whole BLENDING technique is taught at trade school. Its not a dodgy way for crap painters to get away with being crap. Its a Legit technique that is implimented everywhere. To be frank, you wouldn't know if he blended it. Which is the whole point of blending.

Paint repairs are all illusions. Think of it as the painter trying to hide your f*ck up. All sorts of tricks are used to draw your attention away from the damaged area.
Beauty in the eye of the beholder.

Paul,

I told you I respected yours (and Alex's) opinions as people of the industry. However, I said my opinion was that of a customer, so no I'm not going to research "how this shit works" because it doesn't matter to me.

If the visibly perfect match on the work done on my car is blind luck - then lucky me! :yahoo:

Anyway,I just thought I'd offer my opinion to Morgan for whatever its worth because he's a good bloke and he's seen my car numerous times so maybe what I said was useful for him. Thats part of being in a club.

Shiv :flag_of_truce:

#26 Cam.

Cam.

OEM+

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,906 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 10:10 AM

Morgan, I was chatting with the paint man at work and told him the price and i can tell you that's the going rate. As long as it's a job well done and you are happy, It's worth every cent.

Asb2OgK.jpg?1

#27 Delete This Account

Delete This Account

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,635 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 10:50 AM

I know you can never really tell by pictures, Here is mine without blending:

Posted Image
Posted Image

#28 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts
  • Interests:Taking a poo

Posted 26 January 2010 - 10:24 AM

To resolve this thread - Got the front bar done but left the bonnet ...for now! Not planning on keeping the car for much longer so didnt worry about the bonnet. Thanks all for your input

IM47Gcv.jpg

#29 thatsgoodsquishy

thatsgoodsquishy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 95 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 11:41 AM

I know you can never really tell by pictures, Here is mine without blending:

Posted Image
Posted Image

Walts, I know this wont help your sellers remorse, but that's the best looking Gen2 sedan ive ever seem. Colour, height wheels, everything is spot on. Looks farkin ace!

#30 Soop

Soop

Suck, squeeze, bang, blow.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 02:34 PM

If they buffed the bonnet and guards, and got a good match off the spectro, they probably could get away with edge to edge. In years to come the difference will be very obvious though.
TSM

#31 Delete This Account

Delete This Account

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,635 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 04:29 PM

Cheers :D i liked her, if only she had some tarbo goodness

#32 CRUISN

CRUISN

Doin it my way.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,970 posts
  • Interests:Family, Surfing, Cars.

Posted 26 January 2010 - 08:51 PM

Moar pics of white Gen2 wagon in Walts pics please. :D

OEM+

#33 Delete This Account

Delete This Account

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,635 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 08:57 PM

Moar pics of white Gen2 wagon in Walts pics please. :D

It's Billsy's GTB

Fuckin' serious machine! Had his semi slicks on as well that day!

http://www.subyclub....ewimage&img=208
http://www.subyclub....ewimage&img=207

#34 RX25SE

RX25SE

...............Car nerd................ now a H6 pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts
  • Interests:Cars with chrome bumpers!

Posted 26 January 2010 - 09:00 PM

Must be something other than ordinary looking at the tyres. Edit: OK a GTB. Coool.

If I told you I was a compulsive liar, would you believe me?

#35 Delete This Account

Delete This Account

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,635 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 09:02 PM

Must be something other than ordinary looking at the tyres.

How does around 240kw at the wheels sound? Still with the twin setup
(not sure what it makes now with the rebuild)

Even has a launch control button that makes flames shoot out the exhaust :sarcastic:

#36 RX25SE

RX25SE

...............Car nerd................ now a H6 pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts
  • Interests:Cars with chrome bumpers!

Posted 26 January 2010 - 09:03 PM

How does around 240kw at the wheels sound?

Sounds fine to me.

Where do I sign?

If I told you I was a compulsive liar, would you believe me?

#37 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 10:16 AM

Had a look at my freshly painted bar on the weekend and saw, to my horror, that it is now in worse condition than when i gave it to them!! Squiggly marks on it and two bubbles. They bar is clearly out of shape (i can even see it with my untrained eyes!) Will be taking it back to them soon and demanding a different bar altogether.

IM47Gcv.jpg

#38 Delete This Account

Delete This Account

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,635 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 10:18 AM

Stop nudging other cars with it then! :P

#39 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 11:44 AM

Update: Ive stopped nudging other cars with my newly painted front bar. It hasnt helped. The awfulness is still there :( Went back to my mob on Fri arvo and they are being very accommodating. Brand new bar will arrive tomorrow arvo and it will be sprayed/fitted before the end of the week. Not a cent will be paid.

IM47Gcv.jpg

#40 Shiv

Shiv

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,741 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 02:09 PM

Update:
Ive stopped nudging other cars with my newly painted front bar. It hasnt helped. The awfulness is still there :(
Went back to my mob on Fri arvo and they are being very accommodating.
Brand new bar will arrive tomorrow arvo and it will be sprayed/fitted before the end of the week.
Not a cent will be paid.

Thats a very good result, lets hope it comes out allrite though...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users