←  General Discussion

Suby Club

»

Dad is looking for a new car

Delete This Account's Photo Delete This Account 04 Aug 2010

I'll go the other way Tom.
I did not like the Pig STi (unmodded) for the street.
Power delivery is not as linear as a WRX, ratios a bit too close. As a result I found it difficult to drive slowly. To me a WRX makes a better all round street package, eaiser to live with IMO.

I didn't really find out how it was to live with or driving slowly, i took it for a hoon through the hills. Seemed good for that purpose. :D

Morgan's Photo Morgan 05 Aug 2010

This one is about 10 mins away. Might go have a lewk

Delete This Account's Photo Delete This Account 05 Aug 2010

That thing is beautiful, love it. Not quite an STi, but the next best thing.

Whats the diff between 'tuned by sti' and 'sti'

Whats the diff between 'tuned by sti' and 'sti'

Tuned by STi only has the suspension, wheels and front lip from the STi (and a slightly better tune compared to the WRX)

Still hasn't got, better gearbox, better brakes, better engine, better turbo, better interior etc.

I see. It does look sexy with rims + lip etc. Next question, whats the go with club spec 8's? There are some for sale but i dont know what they mean?

skillionaire's Photo skillionaire 05 Aug 2010

Posted Image

That thing's a babe

That thing's a babe

Club specs are the old "Tuned by STi" type thing. In between WRX and STi.

alexGT's Photo alexGT 05 Aug 2010

Club specs are the old "Tuned by STi" type thing. In between WRX and STi.

not quite.

the club specs are the runouts which they chuck in leather, sunroof, sometimes other goodies (wheels).

tuned by have the different suspension, tune, diff back muffler (some models), front lip, wheels.

so the tuned by's are more performance based, whereas the club specs are a comfort/looks based car. they are still making both tuned by and club spec models.

Posted Image

Alex's Photo Alex 05 Aug 2010

Great. Another reliable 80s Italian car. Common sense isn't so common any more, huh Nik?

Hi, Where's the passion, Awix? Sure, a Lancia isn't the best bean counters choice, it doesn't go as quickly around a go kart track than a Subaru Inpretzel, maybe a 70's Porsche is more likely to kill you than an ex wife? But I bet every single time you sit in the drivers seat and turn the key you will be transported to a whole nother world, where nothing else seems to matter. Cheers, Nik

Alex's Photo Alex 05 Aug 2010

I agree, but to an extent, Nik.

Don't get me wrong, horses for courses, but going from a New Mini to something that has been plagued with chronic rust, unobtainable parts (and the ones that are still obtainable are astronomically smacktarded expensive) and reliable unreliability, it would indeed transport you to another world every time you turned the key.

And that place would be pretty forking miserable if you ask me.

Been there, done that, (OK, it wasn't Italian, but it was old, unreliable and I was deluded) got the rectal surgical scars to prove it.

Morgs has asked for a worthy replacement car for his old boy. Considering his past ride wasn't a "collectable", why should his next car be plagued with such challenges?

Jump in. Buckle up. Turn key. Hold on.

STi's are undeniably a fantastic package straight out of the box, especially for the price they're commanding second hand.

And for you to criticise what they look like? Dude. People in glass houses shouldn't be chucking stones, Mr Chromedinnerplatesy0lookatmeimajay-zwannabewithanstdonmahpeepee.

<3

skillionaire's Photo skillionaire 06 Aug 2010

Hi, I am just thinking a bit to romantically about car purchases at the moment. All of your comments are correct (except I have big stupid BLACK wheels, not chrome), no arguments from me. Just a different viewpoint. I have attacked the looks of WRX/STi's, but that's just personal opinion. If you think they look great, peace be with you. :D Cheers, Nik

Alex's Photo Alex 06 Aug 2010

Black is also teh gheys. (Charcoal is where it's at!) :P As for looks? They're not the prettiest, but not the ugliest either. But my God don't they make up for it in the power/handling department. case in point. (btw Nik. No mud or grass....)

B4TT's Photo B4TT 06 Aug 2010

None of them handle straight from the box, understeering buckets - anyone who is a bit serious about making a decent track car out of them basically changes everything suspension wise, if you have a 5 speed it will break unless you have it strengthened, the diffs are not durable - the engines aren't even that strong. some of subaru's competitors will produce power cheaper and more reliably unfortunately.

Alex's Photo Alex 06 Aug 2010

None of them handle straight from the box, understeering buckets - anyone who is a bit serious about making a decent track car out of them basically changes everything suspension wise, if you have a 5 speed it will break unless you have it strengthened, the diffs are not durable - the engines aren't even that strong.

some of subaru's competitors will produce power cheaper and more reliably unfortunately.

I disagree.

The bugeye STi (the car in case point) do actually come with a six speed and R180 rear diff as per factory specifications. So there won't be drivetrain damage.
The engine puts out 206kw It won't bother the drivetrain. It has been proven for that particular drivetrain to handle north of 400kw!!!

They already come with many factory suspension upgrades, so they do in fact handle very well. Perhaps they're poorly aligned from the dealership? The Pink STi KYB struts are very adequate for the vehicle, and they are indeed rebuildable (in the home garage). Having said that though, it is common for people to upgrade to coilover suspension.

Morgan's Photo Morgan 12 Aug 2010

Dad and I should be looking at these 2 on Saturday. Any tips to what i should look out for? Quite interested to see the difference between the standard WRX and the 'tuned by sti' Both look like clean, stock examples too :) http://www.carsales....tt=sti&trecs=92 http://www.carsales....ecs=6&silo=1011

B4TT's Photo B4TT 12 Aug 2010

I disagree.

The bugeye STi (the car in case point) do actually come with a six speed and R180 rear diff as per factory specifications. So there won't be drivetrain damage.
The engine puts out 206kw It won't bother the drivetrain. It has been proven for that particular drivetrain to handle north of 400kw!!!

They already come with many factory suspension upgrades, so they do in fact handle very well. Perhaps they're poorly aligned from the dealership? The Pink STi KYB struts are very adequate for the vehicle, and they are indeed rebuildable (in the home garage). Having said that though, it is common for people to upgrade to coilover suspension.

My sis just got a bugeye LOLz... just a WRX though.