45 replies to this topic

#1 Sam

Sam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 10:59 AM

http://rover.ebay.co...E:X:RTQ:AU:1123

Ive been doing a little bit of research and exploring on how to lower your Gen3 Outback but im lost, ive been looking through several threads on here and other sites and am finding it hard to comprehend. Ive asked local suspension shops and they dont have a clue!

I really want my Outback lower so the wheels fit in the guards nicely, probably an inch lower than a liberty or legacy.

Can someone please explain it to me, including part numbers, what to replace and if i should go with the coil-overs in the link below? I asked the bloke selling them in WA if i needed to change anything and he said no... but MorganLuke said that I had to change gearbox X members, take the lifting blocks out and some other stuff... thats what i dont understand.

http://rover.ebay.co...E:X:RTQ:AU:1123

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Cheers, Sam
[03.SUBY]

#2 buzzda

buzzda

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,370 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 11:33 AM

PM Bobbyjimmy, his OBK is pretty damn low.

#3 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts
  • Interests:Taking a poo

Posted 23 January 2011 - 11:39 AM

Yes Bobbyjimmy (Luke) will be able to giveyou the best idea of what to do.
From what I remember, you'll need to change the springs, struts, crossmember and get rid of the spectra which give the OBK it's extra lift...

IM47Gcv.jpg

#4 Soop

Soop

Suck, squeeze, bang, blow.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 12:49 PM

Slot some WRX struts and springs in I would have thought.
TSM

#5 RX25SE

RX25SE

...............Car nerd................ now a H6 pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts
  • Interests:Cars with chrome bumpers!

Posted 23 January 2011 - 01:38 PM

Slot some WRX struts and springs in I would have thought.

IIRC that is for a Foz.

Liberty struts for a OBK. Yes?

If I told you I was a compulsive liar, would you believe me?

#6 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 01:48 PM

WRX struts can fit nearly any model its a matter of finding the right strut top hat for it.

Outback has lifting blocks on it. check RSLC there are a few threads on it ther

MY07 GT spec B

#7 Soop

Soop

Suck, squeeze, bang, blow.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 01:53 PM

Yeah, just change the top hat to the originals and you're apples. Either that or drill another 10mm hole in the arse end. They're only locator studs, not load bearing.
TSM

#8 bobbyjimmy

bobbyjimmy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 12:34 PM

To just lower it easily, find some Gen III Liberty/Legacy Struts and lowered springs (front's are the same between sedan and wagon, rears are wagon specific due to the extra weight).
If you want it to handle fairly well, find some Bilstein's and whatever lowering springs you want and get a thick, adjustable Whiteline rear swaybar - the car will be so much better than stock it's not funny.
With the car lowered like this, the rear alignment will be all forked up and you'll chew the tyres out - get either the adjustable Whiteline arms (#KTA124 - $524) or the bushes (# KCA399 - $51) to try and get it to a "normal" setting.

To lower it properly, that's when you need to change the gearbox cross member, take out spacers, find a new steering linkage/uni and possibly change the tailshaft.

When I first lowered mine, I used Bilstein's and Whiteline Control springs, was low enough for a while and handled well.
I've got Tein Flex's in it now, and it was really low (low enough to get defected and scrape going everywhere) - it's since been raised 1" or so to fit the new wheels in.
I haven't lowered it properly - yet.

2002 Outback - it's gone...

#9 bobbyjimmy

bobbyjimmy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 12:36 PM

WRX struts can fit nearly any model its a matter of finding the right strut top hat for it.

Yeah, just change the top hat to the originals and you're apples. Either that or drill another 10mm hole in the arse end. They're only locator studs, not load bearing.

WRX front struts work, rears are completely different.
There's no room in the rear of a Gen III to drill another hole anyways.

Gen IV Stuff bolt's in, but I *think* you need Gen III top hats.

#10 Sam

Sam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 12:55 PM

To just lower it easily, find some Gen III Liberty/Legacy Struts and lowered springs (front's are the same between sedan and wagon, rears are wagon specific due to the extra weight).
If you want it to handle fairly well, find some Bilstein's and whatever lowering springs you want and get a thick, adjustable Whiteline rear swaybar - the car will be so much better than stock it's not funny.
With the car lowered like this, the rear alignment will be all forked up and you'll chew the tyres out - get either the adjustable Whiteline arms (#KTA124 - $524) or the bushes (# KCA399 - $51) to try and get it to a "normal" setting.

To lower it properly, that's when you need to change the gearbox cross member, take out spacers, find a new steering linkage/uni and possibly change the tailshaft.

When I first lowered mine, I used Bilstein's and Whiteline Control springs, was low enough for a while and handled well.
I've got Tein Flex's in it now, and it was really low (low enough to get defected and scrape going everywhere) - it's since been raised 1" or so to fit the new wheels in.
I haven't lowered it properly - yet.

If i were to buy some gen3 liberty struts and springs which are stock standard on the lib, would that work? im watching a set from a wreckers off ebay atm....

http://cgi.ebay.com....E:X:RTQ:AU:1123
Would springs off these fit?

if i was to buy these, would everything still work properly? would the tyres wear abnormally? is it legal (and insurable?)
Cheers mate, Sam
[03.SUBY]

#11 bobbyjimmy

bobbyjimmy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 01:02 PM

Yes they'll bolt in, but it's a sedan, so you'll be dragging your arse on the ground.
You could then get some wagon rear springs, or get a full set of lowering springs to suit a wagon.

When I put in the Bilstein's, the car chewed thru rear tyres due to not being able to adjust the toe (and camber to some extent), so I'd assume it would be similar.

No idea if it's legal - I think swapping suspension from the same model car's is sort of a grey area.

#12 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts
  • Interests:Taking a poo

Posted 24 January 2011 - 01:02 PM

Sedan rears wont fit

IM47Gcv.jpg

#13 bobbyjimmy

bobbyjimmy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 01:44 PM

The struts do, the springs are different thou.
I had sedan Bilstein's in mine with wagon specific springs.

#14 buzzda

buzzda

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,370 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 01:55 PM

When I lowered my B4 the susp guy gave me wagon springs (tein) front and rear, he said they were the same.

#15 Sam

Sam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 10:23 AM

Finally got around to visiting a Suspension shop this morning as I really want to lower my Outback.

The bloke agreed with me that it is quite difficult to do it the "right" way, and that it would be extremely expensive to change all the components to lower it more than about 40-45mm".

He then had a bit of a look underneath and told me that I could put 40mm lowering springs underneath, without changing anything else except the bump-stops. Any lower and I would have to go the $$$ route.

So, if I got some 40mm lowering springs, got him to put them in and shave/cut the bumpstops im set! I just need to find the right springs... He said that bilsteins to suit the Outback would cost him around $700 and then installation on top of that.

If i sourced some 40mm lowered Outback springs myself, is it very hard to swap them over? and then get him to cut the bumpstops and give it a wheel alignment, or should i just get him to do it all???

Hope this helps lads...
[03.SUBY]

#16 buzzda

buzzda

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,370 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 11:00 AM

Is fairly easy to change springs with the right tools. You'll def need a set of spring compressor's.

Take shock's out take, top-hat off, swap springs, put back together. The hardest bit is getting the shocks out cause the bolts (bottom) are pretty darn tight. You could prob take the bump stops out while your at it, then just get w/align

#17 bobbyjimmy

bobbyjimmy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 11:13 AM

Bilsteins, $550 - http://cgi.ebay.com....=item27b5abde5c
Swap your top hats onto them and the car will be 30mm or so lower and handle a **** load better. Get a rear sway bar too.

Then if you want it lower, stop throwing money at struts and springs and get coilovers.

Find bumpstops off a Gen III or Gen IV Liberty, sedan or wagon - just not an Outback.

#18 Sam

Sam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 11:15 AM

Is fairly easy to change springs with the right tools. You'll def need a set of spring compressor's.

Take shock's out take, top-hat off, swap springs, put back together. The hardest bit is getting the shocks out cause the bolts (bottom) are pretty darn tight. You could prob take the bump stops out while your at it, then just get w/align

Cool, so i could most likely do all that myself to save on the susp. guy doing it and me having to pay him, all i need is some spring compressors and the right tools? Obviously ill need a quality jack/ stands.

Would anyone know which springs to look for? i need a 40mm drop. Cheers
[03.SUBY]

#19 Sam

Sam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 11:18 AM

Bilsteins, $550 - http://cgi.ebay.com....=item27b5abde5c
Swap your top hats onto them and the car will be 30mm or so lower and handle a **** load better. Get a rear sway bar too.

Then if you want it lower, stop throwing money at struts and springs and get coilovers.

Find bumpstops off a Gen III or Gen IV Liberty, sedan or wagon - just not an Outback.

Sorry mate must have got your reply as i was writing the last one.
Is it difficult to change top hats?
Where do i get rear swaybars from? (Any spares lying around?)

Cheers.
[03.SUBY]

#20 Sam

Sam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 12:15 PM

Might someone please be kind enough to photoshop this pic so it is sitting approx 40mm lower than it is showing?

That would be a great help!

Sam

Posted Image
[03.SUBY]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users