Photo

To FMIC or TMIC?

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

Poll: The great debate. To FMIC or TMIC (192 member(s) have cast votes)

The great debate. To FMIC or TMIC

1. FMIC (93 votes [48.44%])

Percentage of vote: 48.44%

2. Voted TMIC (99 votes [51.56%])

Percentage of vote: 51.56%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 legacy rsk

legacy rsk

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 09:17 PM

why do you need a poll there is onlt one choice FMIC

1d3cb771-b699-4175-8507-6d835cbca0d8_zps

#22 Shaz

Shaz

Differential Studios

• SC Videographer
  • 23,188 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 09:24 PM

I giggle at this

I have a boring 600*300*76 plate and fin cooler.. so like the worst you can get for "lag" and "responce". get me 3.5k, 2nd or 3rd gear and if im not smooth on/off the throttle, the SoB is jerking (from acceleration/deceleration) around like a $2 hooker.

Sure, because your cooler piping is already pressurized at that stage. How is it below 3500rpm though?

Also, link for $2 hooker pls. Theories to test.

Cheers,
Shazza

I put up with people from amnesty, red cross and now the cancer council almost daily hounding me!! Throw in the greens, green peace, unhcr, save the forking children and I've well and truly hit my limit for the number of fuckstains wanting me to sign something or give money. Seriously cubts,  :fork: right off.

#23 aekOne

aekOne

Boss Pelican

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,349 posts
  • Interests:Regulating

Posted 16 March 2011 - 09:30 PM

but as jim said, at 15psi it doesn't take a noticeable amount of time for the air inside the piping to become pressurized. people make out like this "lag" is going to take a matter seconds longer before your car hits boost when really it'll only take a fraction of a second for the FMIC to get pressure compared to a TMIC.

all these guys are speaking from experience not theory.

If we're "racing" i'm not driving under 3.5k. I'm launching at 3.5k then shifting at 6.5k. there's ALWAYS going to be pressure in a situation where spirited driving is involved.

: My Liberty :

signature_1_35.jpg

#24 Richo

Richo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,765 posts
  • Interests:Not the internet

Posted 16 March 2011 - 09:35 PM

if im on part throttle holding a speed, it isn't as it is still running vacuum. however if I smash my foot into it i'll be at 15psi within a second - and this with an 8cm td05-20g

Under 3.5k, fine.. under 2.5k ok. 2k, 4th it still pulls fairly well up a hill

Stuff goes here

#25 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 10:20 PM

Tints : "Whether or not the above is noticeable on a mildly tuned EJ20T, I don't know, as ive not had any first hand experience"}

Then how are you backing your claims of excessive lag?

On my gen1 conversion, my first FMIC core was 600x300x100 which is like Kenworth truckin' core overkill. I then moved to a 500x250x65 core with all the same exact mods and noticed NO difference in throttle response. I also noticed NO difference in response/lag moving from the V2 TMIC to the first FMIC setup.

My experience in moving to a FMIC was excellent, i had a much better power delivery in mid to top end range due to the extra cooling efficiency of the setup. Around town driving was much easier without having to accomodate for heat soak.

The only time a FMIC setup would need to be explored to combat pressure drop and response is if your brandishing a 1000hp child eating Supra or such, where the tiny numbers come into play.

To the average backyard and mild tuner such as ourselves, the fear of lag or pressure drop isnt important and shouldnt factor into the equation of deciding to do it or not.

The only factors that the vast majority of us need to decide on is a) do i really want to hack some of my car? [mind you, with patience and a well thought out plan can be done very easily and subtly] and B) can i afford to do it?

Simple as that.

'04 Liberty GT Premium "The Sprog Chariot"

#26 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 11:01 PM

unfounded silly and inconclusive theories < real world experience from multiple people.

amen.

#27 Shaz

Shaz

Differential Studios

• SC Videographer
  • 23,188 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 06:45 AM

On my old R33 skyline, that came with a side mount, minimal piping setup, as soon as we put a fmic on it, full boost was being hit at around 800rpm higher then it was before. It was actually slower off the line.

My mate had the exact same skyline as mine, except he had a SMIC and I had a FMIC.

At the races, he would get the jump on me and be around half a car length in front, but I would eventually end up chasing him down up around the 100kmh mark. I had much higher top end then him though, and the overall power delivery was alot better.

Point being, he would get 15psi to the ground faster then what I did, hence the "lag".

I put up with people from amnesty, red cross and now the cancer council almost daily hounding me!! Throw in the greens, green peace, unhcr, save the forking children and I've well and truly hit my limit for the number of fuckstains wanting me to sign something or give money. Seriously cubts,  :fork: right off.

#28 Grant

Grant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 07:25 AM

On my old R33 skyline, that came with a side mount, minimal piping setup, as soon as we put a fmic on it, full boost was being hit at around 800rpm higher then it was before. It was actually slower off the line.

My mate had the exact same skyline as mine, except he had a SMIC and I had a FMIC.

At the races, he would get the jump on me and be around half a car length in front, but I would eventually end up chasing him down up around the 100kmh mark. I had much higher top end then him though, and the overall power delivery was alot better.

Point being, he would get 15psi to the ground faster then what I did, hence the "lag".

There are soooooo many other factors that could be attributed to why you were slower off the line. Were the mods and tune exactly the same with both cars except for the intercooler? I doubt it. It could come down to the driver, type of air filter (pod or boxed), exhaust, you could've done the install dodgy and had a boost leak in the piping...etc etc.

#29 Shaz

Shaz

Differential Studios

• SC Videographer
  • 23,188 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 07:31 AM

There are soooooo many other factors that could be attributed to why you were slower off the line. Were the mods and tune exactly the same with both cars except for the intercooler? I doubt it. It could come down to the driver, type of air filter (pod or boxed), exhaust, you could've done the install dodgy and had a boost leak in the piping...etc etc.

They were 99% identical.

Same exhaust (Full 3" system, turbo back, off the shelf items), intake (Standard airbox with K&N Panel Filters), standard ecu, and boost.

We drove each others cars and both agreed on the fact mine hit boost around 800rpm later then his.

Cheers,
Shazza

#30 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 09:26 AM

Oh my God Shannon.

You're now comparing giraffes with apples and oranges.

#31 Shaz

Shaz

Differential Studios

• SC Videographer
  • 23,188 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 09:38 AM

Oh my God Shannon.

You're now comparing giraffes with apples and oranges.

Lol.

Just stating airflow characteristics.
Not stating a TMIC is better then a FMIC, because its not.

Merely stating that because the inlet tract is shorter, it takes less time for air entering the turbo, to reach the throttle body.

/end debate.

Giraffe eating apples ftw.

Cheers,
Shazzaa

#32 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 10:09 AM

So who ate the orange?

The TMIC?

#33 Shaz

Shaz

Differential Studios

• SC Videographer
  • 23,188 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 10:14 AM

So who ate the orange?

The TMIC?

A new breed of dinosaur called a TMIC-Rex.

Cheers,
Shazza

#34 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 10:17 AM

Topmountasaurus Rex?

Didn't they die off in the older ages?

Good ol' evolution.

Now we have the better, leaner, meaner, and survived the cold ages (crisp nights?!), The Frontmountigator.

#35 Shaz

Shaz

Differential Studios

• SC Videographer
  • 23,188 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 10:27 AM

Topmountasaurus Rex?

Didn't they die off in the older ages?

Good ol' evolution.

Now we have the better, leaner, meaner, and survived the cold ages (crisp nights?!), The Frontmountigator.

Posted Image

?

Cheers,
Shazza

#36 Shaz

Shaz

Differential Studios

• SC Videographer
  • 23,188 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 10:32 AM

Posted Image

Cheers,
Shazza

#37 aekOne

aekOne

Boss Pelican

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,349 posts
  • Interests:Regulating

Posted 17 March 2011 - 10:55 AM

Posted Image

: My Liberty :

signature_1_35.jpg

#38 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Stereos, Electrical

Posted 17 March 2011 - 11:25 AM

It depends heavily on price, and what driving conditions you are in.

Me, out in the sticks, 90km from the nearest town, and the closest traffic lights 270km away, a TMIC is ok for me. I also have the joys of interactions with large forms of wildlife too - damage to the cooler is also a consideration for me. If I hit skippy in the blue car like I did in the red one, I would have been stuck there with a FMIC. TMIC I would have driven away awfully pissed off, but still would have driven away.

If you are in the middle of Sydney however, you want a FMIC. Pros and cons can be great, but engine longevity is what we're after. Heat soak is a big factor in the cities. Don't just look at pros and cons of the mod, look at your situation as well.

Cheers,
Ben

Oh, and the last page of comments made me LOL!

MY00 Red RX, a nice daily that was sold off once the B4 became reliable...
MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY03 White/Silver H6 Outback, donor car for silver waghoon.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#39 Soop

Soop

Suck, squeeze, bang, blow.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 03:54 PM

I cant believe theres even a question here.

Top mount, if you're lame and don't want to do more then undo hose clamps and bolts.

Front mount, if you want to actually make an improvement...

*Damage to the cooler.
You've less chance of worrying the cooler with a rock then you do the radiator. In any case I'd rather a fugged cooler core then a holed radiator.
If you're going to hit something big enough to worry the cooler, you'll be worried about more then a damged cooler.

If you're going to go with a TMIC, just stick with the stock unit. I know it wont make you feel all warm and fuzzy after spending some money. But thats all an aftermarket TMIC is going to achieve.
TSM

#40 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 04:05 PM

wow. again.

i use a top mount and swear by it. i never cop heatsoak EVER. i had a top mount on my last car and it was freaking great too.

who cares what the internet says, everyone is going to get different results so just go out and do whatever and report back!

MY07 GT spec B

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users