Gn IV GT / No longer B4

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts
  • Interests:None

Posted 21 March 2011 - 02:06 PM

Boys / Girls / Boy-Girls

Gather we have some Android peeps here,

What phone you using and what are your thoughts on it?

I'm in a massive dilemma between

- SE Xperia Arc 2.3 Gingerbread
- Nexus S 2.3 Gingerbread
- Motorola Atrix 2.2 Froyo
- Samsung Galaxy S 2 - Froyo then Gingerbread (I think)

But won't mind going older handests if need be..

I owned the Desire then the Nexus One, then the Desire HD and X10

So something apart from these LOL.

#2 Soop

Soop

Suck, squeeze, bang, blow.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 02:13 PM

Been thinking about getting a Galaxy S 2.

Dunno fug all about them though.
TSM

#3 XXB4XX

XXB4XX

Gn IV GT / No longer B4

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 02:26 PM

Been thinking about getting a Galaxy S 2.

Dunno fug all about them though.

yeah.. it's a little on the big side, but the thinnest on the market.. dual core processor and super AMOLED screen which equals awesome picture, but battery life is what i'm iffy on..

there is an LG Optimus 2x coming which records in 1080HD.. but it's LG

#4 DukeNik'em

DukeNik'em

Car Sl#t

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,662 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 02:29 PM

My contract expires soon too. I was looking at Xperia X10i, and then the cheaper version Xperia. And the Galaxy S. I've always liked SE but the Galaxy S seems to have all the same jazz. Wouldn't mind a Nokia e71/e63/blackberry style qwerty one though. As long as it txts and makes calls and has a good camera.

If thy tint is dark and thy wheels are black thou car be declared b11tchin'

So you can run it on 6psi with an rx fuel pump? :P

#5 Soop

Soop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 02:31 PM

Me and the mrs have LG phones at the moment. Fuggin terrible. They're so clunky and fussy.

You're supposed to turn it on its side to get the QWERTY keyboard. It flicks back and forth all over the place and then gets stuck in between sometimes. The Web browser is Pathetic.

I've always had Samsung phones in the past and never had an issue. Infact the only reason i've ever gotten new ones is because i've broken them. Thats not to say they break easily. I'm not nice to moble phones.
TSM

#6 SAV84C

SAV84C

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,480 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 02:44 PM

Ive got a N97 = nothing but FAIL, has become so unstable... Nokia is ****!!!

Im looking at the Galaxy S2 also but seem a bit on the big side... Also maybe jump on the Apple band wagon and get an Iphone 4...

My brother has the earlier Galaxy S and he said it freezes up every now n then...

#7 XXB4XX

XXB4XX

Gn IV GT / No longer B4

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 03:20 PM

Keep away from the i4, constant wifi drop outs, slowest browser I've used to date, and locked like a caged animal.. Same ui since 2007.. Boring.

#8 SAV84C

SAV84C

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,480 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 03:35 PM

Keep away from the i4, constant wifi drop outs, slowest browser I've used to date, and locked like a caged animal.. Same ui since 2007.. Boring.

Ive heard different from my mate , he swears by it but then again he is very bias....

My bosses and reps use them n love them but meh I dunno... Is Android better?

#9 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts
  • Interests:Taking a poo

Posted 21 March 2011 - 03:36 PM

I hate Macs but love my iPhone.
It's going to have problems. Every phone does.
Number of problems will be greater because of the sheer volume of units sold.

IM47Gcv.jpg

#10 TSG

TSG

Cured

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 04:26 PM

Andriod rocks.

The Galaxy S is supposed to be pretty good? Nexus S even better?

Any reason you don't have the Desire HD anymore? They are awesome. I have the HTC Aria that I bought outright for cheap, and its pretty snazz for my prepaid sim :P

#11 XXB4XX

XXB4XX

Gn IV GT / No longer B4

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 05:08 PM

Andriod rocks.

The Galaxy S is supposed to be pretty good? Nexus S even better?

Any reason you don't have the Desire HD anymore? They are awesome. I have the HTC Aria that I bought outright for cheap, and its pretty snazz for my prepaid sim :P

The Nexus S is pure Google.. no bloatware at all, and no gimmicks.. BUT! it's only 16gb and no SD card, also no HD recording .. this is my dilemma with this phone.

The Desire HD, great phone, pathetic battery life, and is not really pocketable at 4.3inches.. the best thing about HTC is that they release updates about a month after google..

As for the Aria - I have one right now LOL, my brother is a phone tech and brings home training samples all the time.. not bad, but won't support Flash 10.1 / 10.2

#12 CodeBurn3r

CodeBurn3r

Resident Mexican

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 06:46 PM

Dad has the X10.. decent phone, i too was a SE person for last 6 years.. but the Galaxy s was a better package, also there seems to me more incompatibility issues with the X10 compared to others.

SGS is good but wait on the sgs 2 coming out soon, should be a pretty big step forward.

cant comment on the HTCs they feel nice and seem to have a huge following but i dont know if they are worth the extra coin.

myself im bloody happy with the SGS, also whatever you get.. you need SWYPE, best text input method ever!
the galaxy s also seems to be the most common at the moment, Samsung also have the better Navigation software that comes free with it.. the others i have tested dont seem to compare to the Samsung version also the samsung version downloads the maps for aus once, via wifi and then never needs data connection again to use.. the others need a data connection from all the ones i have tested (woth contemplating if you are worried about data charges)

EDIT: oh and as for freezing, update it and dont install a million crap apps.. thats one thing i found, anyone can make an app, if you install an app that is crappily made, it will cause freeze issues, simply remove app.. i have found a few that just seem to bog the phone down.. mostly those weather apps and such, but they just waste power anyway, after some time you get over all the apps and only install what you use.. then all is good.
ams: "Can't live with them, can't throw rocks at them."

#13 DukeNik'em

DukeNik'em

Car Sl#t

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,662 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 06:52 PM

Dad has the X10.. decent phone, i too was a SE person for last 6 years.. but the Galaxy s was a better package, also there seems to me more incompatibility issues with the X10 compared to others.

SGS is good but wait on the sgs 2 coming out soon, should be a pretty big step forward.

cant comment on the HTCs they feel nice and seem to have a huge following but i dont know if they are worth the extra coin.

myself im bloody happy with the SGS, also whatever you get.. you need SWYPE, best text input method ever!
the galaxy s also seems to be the most common at the moment, Samsung also have the better Navigation software that comes free with it.. the others i have tested dont seem to compare to the Samsung version also the samsung version downloads the maps for aus once, via wifi and then never needs data connection again to use.. the others need a data connection from all the ones i have tested (woth contemplating if you are worried about data charges)

EDIT: oh and as for freezing, update it and dont install a million crap apps.. thats one thing i found, anyone can make an app, if you install an app that is crappily made, it will cause freeze issues, simply remove app.. i have found a few that just seem to bog the phone down.. mostly those weather apps and such, but they just waste power anyway, after some time you get over all the apps and only install what you use.. then all is good.

You've sold me, time to can the Sony and get a Samsung (when my contract finishes).

If thy tint is dark and thy wheels are black thou car be declared b11tchin'

So you can run it on 6psi with an rx fuel pump? :P

#14 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Stereos, Electrical

Posted 21 March 2011 - 06:57 PM

I know you say you've had the X10 Brendan, but figured this might be good for someone else looking. Admittably, mine has faults (although I can't recommend them more really) The faults I've had are all due to me dropping it in a cable trench full of water about 3 months after I got it. I'm still using it 8 months later. Bung it in a container of rice for 4 days, and away it went. I dont know of any other phones that will do that. Everything still works.
Camera in it is great, with the exception of low-light. All the photos you see on this site of my cars and the bits associated have been taken with a camera phone. UI can be slow, but it depends how much you have running in the background. Although I am still running the 1.6 operating system. Waiting to find the time to update it at some stage.

Cheers,
Ben

MY00 Red RX, a nice daily that was sold off once the B4 became reliable...
MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY03 White/Silver H6 Outback, donor car for silver waghoon.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#15 XXB4XX

XXB4XX

Gn IV GT / No longer B4

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 06:58 PM

But wait on the S2.. I think I'm gonna go the arc.. I love shooting vids and taking pics.. The arc's camera specs are brilliant.. And it's 8mm thick

#16 CodeBurn3r

CodeBurn3r

Resident Mexican

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 09:14 PM

yeah wait on the S2, they will be throwing the sgs away then.. so cheap, so better deals.. unless you need the camera, i think the s2 is maybe overkill? coming from a line of camera focused SE phones i did notice the lack of flash and such but thats not to say the camera is no good.. its great in most daylight shots, and to be honest, the only time i used the xenon flash in the SE phones was a very rare night shot or going out at night.. at which time i was usually too drunk to use it properly anyway haha

but yeah, i was damn loyal to the SE brand.. but after using the sammy, i cant fault it. and to be honest, brand loyalty means **** lol, oh and as for battery life.. i get 2 days moderate use. dont fall for the battery saving apps n crap.
2 days on a phone such as these is pretty good.. i usually use the phone for about 1hr talking a day, 1hr messaging/facebook/emails and probably around 1hr mobile web usage/subyclub etc etc, constant talk time is decent, up around 3hrs i think, what i found KILLED the battery was having the stupid Facebook app updating itself all the time = data usage+battery drain turned that off and doubled my standby time instantly.
ams: "Can't live with them, can't throw rocks at them."

#17 XXB4XX

XXB4XX

Gn IV GT / No longer B4

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 12:20 AM

Hey Ben, I love the x10, but not getting anything past eclair 2.1 is a massive ball drop.. Considering they released the phone new with 1.6 donut :(

The amount of complaints the cOmpany received, I'm pretty sure that they know updates are a must to keep customers happy..

With the nexus though, 3.1 ice cream us on it's way, which is s combo of gingerbread and honeycomb.. Win-win.

So confused lol

#18 Soop

Soop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 09:54 AM

Hey Ben, I love the x10, but not getting anything past eclair 2.1 is a massive ball drop.. Considering they released the phone new with 1.6 donut :(

The amount of complaints the cOmpany received, I'm pretty sure that they know updates are a must to keep customers happy..

With the nexus though, 3.1 ice cream us on it's way, which is s combo of gingerbread and honeycomb.. Win-win.

So confused lol

WTF?

Not sure if serious :S
TSM

#19 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 10:08 AM

sif!!!

what freakin' trollop is this crap?

I've been rockin' an i4 since December '10. JB'd not long after.

Not once has it locked up.

Not once has wifi dropped out.

Not locked at all.

UI ain't broke... why try to fix it? its more efficient than most out there!

Not once has it acted funny.

More stable than anything you put infront of it.

And BEST resolution screen out there.

Seriously bro. I don't give two dogs what you're rockin', but don't go slaggin on stuff you don't know about, please.

You're only making yourself look bad.

Especially with all the retarded OS names and updates. Morons.

The amount of times you're changing phones speaks volumes.

#20 Tom

Tom

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 10:18 AM

Here are my comments on the Galaxy S based on what I've heard from people I know using them :)

Dad has a Galaxy S with Froyo (I think, whatever the latest release was). Loves it to death, the Google Maps application on it is fantastic (I like how it links to your google account or whatever and you can save map routes in it, handy for cruises and trips).
Another friend bought one, says it's the best phone he has had (went from an iPhone 3G).
A work colleague bought one and absolutely hates it, says it's slow and buggy. I don't know what software version he is running though, says he wants to go back to iPhone
A different work colleague says the complete opposite about the Galaxy S however, and went from a 3GS at the same time as above.

I'm on a 3GS and my contract ends in June, so I'm going to see what phones are out there at that time. With the frequency of upgrades, I figured research now would end up pointless in about 3 months time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users