162 replies to this topic

#1 Marv

Marv

Rapist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 02:10 PM

So this is my 2nd RS Liberty. It's burgundy so I have called it Project Anchorman: The Legend Of Burgundy Ron.

Backstory: I had a 1993 RS Lib sedan previously and parted it out before I bought my house in 2009. The stories involved with that car are probably worthy of their own thread, but suffice to say I bought the worst Gen1 in the world and tried to turn it into something nice. It was a damn fun car.

Here's a pictorial history of the RS, from the end back to the beginning (I can't work out how to run a Photobucket slideshow in the opposite direction like you used to be able to do. So sue me, *******).
http://s385.photobuc...mview=slideshow

I really wanted another one as my replacement for the ~200kW @ wheels, handle-on-rails sedan was a stock, 300k km old non-turbo auto Gen2 Liberty wagon.

Generally Xtreme
Posted Image

I wanted something mildly fast (ie: turbo), manual, sleeperish, something that could tow and it had to be a wagon for practicality (trips to Bunnings nurseries etc for reno materials). Given my history with these things, a cheap RS wagon was the perfect candidate (as I'm mentally retarded). Herp a derp, indeed. So I bought this completely hailfucked, ruined wagon in June for not much money. It has gone through a bunch of owners in the RS Liberty Club and has suffered at the hands of a few complete tools. It did have a bunch of good shit that came with it - like a new 96 WRX motor - and quite a few spares (which I've sold off to recoup modding money). And it's a genuine RS (one of 110 sold new in Oz).

Some pics of when I got it:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Surprisingly, the chassis is straight under all the hail damage. Please excuse the shitty iPhone pics in this next phase - I was concentrating on getting the slut home and into the garage for fixing. I had my sister's (nopics) car for 3 months while she was OS and was keen on doing shitloads of tidying/modding and generally de-goatse'ing this ******* thing.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Out came the water:air intercooler, VF10 turbo, stock fuel lines, intake manifold, stock oil breather lines, stock intake, stock exhaust, ABS system and more...
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Finger of Doom ™ points to the start of a parallel fuel rail set-up. I cut the stock metal fuel rails down, got another passenger side rail and 8mm rubber hose to tee it all together. A Sard fuel pressure reg replaces the stock shit one that is stock and shit and heaps stockshit.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

So, what's been done? Rotated VF23 turbo off a MY97 STi, MY01 coilpacks (removed ignitor, too), phenolic spacers for the intake manifold, 3" mild steel exhaust, non-ABS brake lines and master cylinder swapped in, removed shitty old alarm, upgraded most of the engine grounds, parallel fuel rails, custom front-mount intercooler, rewired the driving lights, painted a shitload of the interior plastics, fitted a Legacy MOMO stereo wheel, fitted RS Turbo seats, manual boost controller, redone all the vacuum lines, fitted the towbar (came with the car, unfitted) redid the oil breather lines and added an oil catch can, new intake, airbox off a Gen2 non-turbo Liberty, new powersteering pump, 4-pot WRX brakes and braided Goodridge lines (not pictured), MY06 WRX 17s, STi carbon fibre strut brace (not pictured).

Here are some quick pics I snapped on the weekend. She hadn't copped her wheel alignment, new tyres, new bonnet and I hadn't fixed up the grille at this point. I was just stoked to have a working car, 3months after I was meant to have finished it (and 3 months after I had to give my sister (nopics) her car back).

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

So, yes I'm ******* weird. But hey, at least I'm not as weird as this guy...
Pork Hunt Motorsport

Posted Image

#2 Marv

Marv

Rapist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 02:15 PM

After getting it running, I fitted a GX bonnet as the RS one was too far gone to repair. I also wound up fitting late model power steering to the car, which was a complete prick of a job. 02 Forester GT rack & lines, 04 STi pump & reservoir are now in and work better than the original (leaky) stuff.

I collected body bits to repair the shell, too. I scored a new tailgate, 4 doors, and two mint new guards, plus new non-dented roof rails to go on. When a power window regulator screwed out on the driver's door, it was time to respray…

I'll start here, on Friday night with the car mostly stripped. I had to take it right apart for 2 reasons – 1. it was having a change of colour and 2. it was completely hail damaged. I'm not a gronk so I was going to paint inside the door jams, tailgate jams, inner guards, etc. This means I had to pull all four doors, tailgate, bars, lights, fuel door, window trim (gutters + rubbers), plastic side steps and B-pillar trim, kick panels, pull down part of the roof lining and pop most of the trim in the cargo area out to unhook the washer bottle and undo the aerial.

The doors/tailgate/etc need to be stripped as far as possible. Using the doors as an example, I popped out the lock screws, pushed the locks inside the door, removed the rubber and clips (using side cutters and a sharp, jerking motion), door handles (which you strip further), removed all window trim and any bungs in the bottom of the doors.

While logic says the car should be whistle-clean, this isn't true. You can use dirt as a guide coat before sanding – just don't try to sand through 10mm of built-up grit. You don't need to prime this stuff as painting on paint is fine – just don't paint on raw plastic or metal as the paint has nothing to etch into.

Posted Image
Posted Image

There was much to sand. Being someone who has never done it before (and was taking tuition from panel beater/spray painter mates) I started on the rear guards with 240-grit paper on a sanding block.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Circling dents helps you see them so they don't get lost in the panel. And you WILL lose them.

Posted Image

I didn't get pics of wiping the bog in, but I'll assume most of you know how to do that. If you don't, get someone who does to do it on your car or you'll skillionairerules the whole job up. Badly. Any exposed metal needed etch primer to cover it. Not too heavy, though as we had to sand this back and the primer will clog the paper.

Posted Image

The bonnet was in tip-top condition and really only needed 30 mins spent on it with a half-sheet sander that was packed with 240-grit. I sanded it on the car as it was far easier than doing it on the panel stand.

Posted Image

Under advice from my neighbour (a hail expert) he suggested I grab my Scotchbrite pads and start scrubbing the door jams and the door inners, as well as guard inners, under the bonnet, inside the tailgate and its jam. This way, if we did the inners first it would mean the car could be put back together at a pinch if I needed to drive it and the body could be masked up and sprayed with half the work required. I had to give it a wipe with a damp CLEAN rag, and then a quick rub down with Prepsol (remembering to wipe it off as you don't want solvents on your substrate when you paint) before painting.

Posted Image

Masked up and ready to paint. Pro-tip: we used soft-edges around the door inners. This is where you fold a 15mm edge of the masking tape in on itself. This is so when you spray, the paint feathers into the gap and gives you a smooth edge rather than a harsh line where tape was stuck.
Posted Image
Posted Image

My instructor said to spray a light coat just to blow some paint onto the surface, before doing a second, heavier coat to flow the paint on. Not too much, as you don't want runs. The surface should have a little orange peel as it will dry to a flatter, tighter surface as the chemicals release in the drying paint.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Hinges were done off the car after sitting in a bucket of washing detergent overnight, then being worked on with Scotchbrite.
Posted Image

Wiping bog in. Get yourself an applicator and clean the thing after every use!
Posted Image

What followed was 4 solid hours of pounding the roof with 36-grit and then 40 grit. We had to find the right level to sand to, and this is where you want to make friends with a hail expert to teach you about sanding and finding levels. I can't explain it over the Net. I bugged the Christ out of my neighbour, getting him to come over and check my work. Please note his respirator – you'll need a GOOD one for this job as not only is 2pak paint, filler/primer and thinners toxic, but so is bog dust and that shit gets EVERYWHERE.
36, then 40 grit, then 180 grit on a sander, lots of blocking with 240 and then a whizzer with 240 (which made it 480-grit). The sanding cannot be underestimated – it's a ******* huge job.
Posted Image

Eventually, it was smooth enough for primer.
Posted Image

Posted Image

This plastic comes on a roll with 18mm masking tape along one edge. Get it. It is awesome. For Coastie members, I got mine from Peninsular Paint & Panel in West Gosford. Keep the plastic tub as you can get refills.
Posted Image

After the roof was primed, the doors and jams had been drying for 2 days – long enough for me to hang them. I put down 3 layers of masking tape to protect the surfaces. Get someone to help you hang them, too.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Wet sanding started with the rear guards and roof. Get a clean rag, plus lots of 800-grit wet/dry and large bucket of warm water. Squeeze water onto the primed panel and using circular motions, glide the paper across the panel until it's glass smooth and should be a light cream/white colour.
Posted Image

Posted Image

That's better!
Posted Image

Next step was to do a little filling and wet rubbing on the doors and front guards.
Posted Image

My baby sleeps in an oxygen tent… I had to wash the garage out before I masked the red skankbucket up. This was to get rid of the bog dust, but also because a damp surface to spray on holds dust and overspray better. With fresh, clean gloves on, the body had to be wiped with a wet rag (and wiped off), then wiped with Prepsol (and wiped off), then with the tack cloth – you can't have that substrate too clean. You also can't be too clean – full length dust suit, fresh gloves (again), masks and goggles FTW.
Posted Image
Posted Image

As for spraying, I started on the driver's guard and worked my way down to the tail light on that side, doing half the roof in between. I essentially walked around the car, spraying from one end to the other. Light coat to start, then a wet one
Posted Image

I painted the bonnet the next day and got it on 'cause I wanted to look at it's sexyness Posted Image this is the paint colour in the shade
Posted Image

But in the sun it sings (Van Halen, if you're wondering)
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I've sprayed the tailgate and front bar since then but haven't taken pics (no sun, unfortunately). I will have to respray the tailgate as I ****** up on the masking and sprayed it too wet (epic runs are epic). The front bar came out really good, though. I used a whizzer with 80-grit on it on the broken pieces of paint to get them smooth, then rubbed it with dry 240 and hit it with 2pak primer. She shouldn't crack up easily now! I still have to paint the mirrors, rear bar, and wheels… and I'd like to lower it about 2" before I bust the DSLR out.

The paint job isn't perfect – far, far from it. However, it's good for a home job. We sprayed knowing it was going to get shit in it, so it's extra thick (like me). It takes – on average – six months for all the chemicals in paint to release, so I'll do a full cut & buff then to get it glass smooth.

Now, as for Marvin's Top Tips For Painting A Car In Your House, Without Upsetting The Elephants, here goes. I'm talking about a 2pak respray here, so remember that.

You'll need paint, thinners (lots of it, I've used 8L), hardener (for paint, and some for primer), 2pak primer/high-fill, bog (we went through almost 7L, but 6.5L has ended up as sanding dust), 5 large pieces of Scotchbrite (the stuff without the soap in it), 4-5 rolls of good quality 18mm masking tape and 7-8 rolls of 2" (48mm) good quality masking tape…

You'll also need shitloads of sandpaper - I had roughly 10 sheets (each) of the following grades: 36, 40, 120 (5 sheets), 180, 240, 400 wet/dry and 800 wet/dry. I have a lot left over, but so be it. It isn't expensive and it sucks to stop halfway through a job to go get more.

I also had access to a whizzer (an air-powered rotating sanding disc) and used 80, 240 and 400 grit grades with that. Speaking of air tools, I used the blower fitment quite a lot to clean surfaces before wiping them down. A good compressor is mandatory, as is draining the water from it. Make sure it isn't chewing oil like the one I used as its blown oil all through my paintwork which has to be cut & buffed out.

I went to the Salvos and bought 8-10 good, white bath towels to tear up as rags. You need to have a stash of uncontaminated, clean terry towling rags on hand for this work. A panel stand is required for a job like this – you need one so hire one if you have to. Get a good sanding block and long file, too. Spend money on them as you can offset that by using a $5 Ozito half-sheet sander from Bunnings.

More to come…
Pork Hunt Motorsport

Posted Image

#3 Marv

Marv

Rapist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 02:21 PM

The next piece of the puzzle was the suspension. Shortly before I sprayed her, I fitted a set of customised Gen2 Bilstein struts. They were on a friend's 94 WRX and are damn stiff. Originally, they were paired with the stock RS springs, which suck more goat wang than Dyland on a Friday night. As the Billies have a 2" higher spring perch than other Subaru struts, I had to go soopah doopah low for springs for this thing. Kings Ultra Lows and a full RS wagon bodykit was sourced from someone who needed BMW parts off me. She now (roughly) looks as the below...

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Last night I paid for a new drivetrain for this thing from Gotitrex. Gotta give mad propzzz to Aleck as he's been great to deal with. I'll update more when the pallet turns up :)
Pork Hunt Motorsport

Posted Image

#4 Hypnotic

Hypnotic

Everything you see is an hallucination

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,835 posts
  • Interests:long walks behind abandoned buildings.

Posted 06 July 2011 - 02:45 PM

been watching this thread on rslc,

This is a great build, and that red just stands out nicely!!!

oh and tint your windows :P

As soon as she hands it to you, slowly take of your pants, then, while staring her straight in the eyes rub it against the tip of you penis, while continuing your painfully intense gaze whisper to her;

"My eye is watering, this might be a bit hot"

I should just convert to single, right?

Horsepower Factory

Revzone Auto Tuning Centre

#5 Marv

Marv

Rapist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 02:56 PM

haha cheers mate. The red was a tough choice. Originally I wanted a pearl silver, but was told that'll be too hard for a novice (ie: me) to spray at home, so I went with the solid red (which already needs touch-ups FFS).

Window tints are on the cards once I replace the tired 4.11 WRX gearbag and diff. :)
Pork Hunt Motorsport

Posted Image

#6 Adam

Adam

Snack down!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,970 posts
  • Interests:Not knowing things about stuff

Posted 06 July 2011 - 03:07 PM

Now THIS is a build thread, love your work mate, inspiring stuff!

Posted Image

#7 Shaz

Shaz

Differential Studios

• SC Videographer
  • 23,188 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 03:08 PM

oh and tint your windows :P

Awesome build thread mate.

Thats how its done DIY style.

Looks tits how it sits now. VF23 ftw.

Cheers,
Shazza

I put up with people from amnesty, red cross and now the cancer council almost daily hounding me!! Throw in the greens, green peace, unhcr, save the forking children and I've well and truly hit my limit for the number of fuckstains wanting me to sign something or give money. Seriously cubts,  :fork: right off.

#8 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts
  • Interests:Taking a poo

Posted 06 July 2011 - 03:20 PM

Nice work Marv. This thing is tits.

Come to think of it, I've seen the silver gen3 around Umina. I can't miss it with the leggy grille and projectors. I once even saw you drive away as I walked mainies down West St.

You may have spotted a dark green gen2 RX sedan driving around? (BMM*** plates). That's my old car. Some blonde chic on green p's drives it now and lives around Greenhaven Dr...

IM47Gcv.jpg

#9 Marv

Marv

Rapist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 03:21 PM

Cheers guys.

Can't wait to get the new box in and do some launches!! After that, plans involve getting some braided lines made up to replace the OEM power steering ones, moving the header tank, fitting a Haltech ECU, and then onto piecing together a decent motor. Current thinking is: V3 Sti heads, a new EJ207 block off the shelf from Subaru, some ported headers I've got on the shelf, much bigger injectors and maybe fiddle with the intake manifold to run an under-manifold intake...

Nice work Marv. This thing is tits.

Come to think of it, I've seen the silver gen3 around Umina. I can't miss it with the leggy grille and projectors. I once even saw you drive away as I walked mainies down West St.

You may have spotted a dark green gen2 RX sedan driving around? (BMM*** plates). That's my old car. Some blonde chic on green p's drives it now and lives around Greenhaven Dr...

Thanks mate. The silver wagon won't be me - he got his after I sold my GX. I have seen the Gen2 around - parks at the Woy Woy Commuter Carpark most days as the chick works at Baker's Delight in Deepwater Plaza. It's in amazing condition! Far better than my girlfriend's, or her friend's old one (dark green one on ROH 17s, lived in Narara with SXC25L plates)
Pork Hunt Motorsport

Posted Image

#10 aekOne

aekOne

Boss Pelican

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,349 posts
  • Interests:Regulating

Posted 06 July 2011 - 03:34 PM

fucken-oath! epic build mate!! nice one

: My Liberty :

signature_1_35.jpg

#11 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 03:44 PM

I do see the SXC one around a fair bit.

Yea I miss my old sedan. She was an awesome car albeit auto! Glad the new owner has kept it's upkeep. I've noticed the subyclub sticker is still on the back window but se hasn't signed up :(

IM47Gcv.jpg

#12 Scuba-Roo

Scuba-Roo

The local

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,960 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 04:02 PM

Nice build, Doesn't make me hate mine as much! :) pretty sure I still have the rear bar of your sedan at home somewhere ha ha.

Subyclub, The place where random internet weirdos become good mates

#13 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 04:07 PM

Sexy car is sexy

You've got me all sentimental now...

Posted Image

IM47Gcv.jpg

#14 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 04:21 PM

Your Mrs is Sez?!! I see her all the time!

Love that car! She never see's me though... Outback kinda blends into the furniture even when it had rims, exhaust, etc...

Seen some posts over at MCM. I can vouch for Shaz's tints. He tinted the Outback not long ago and will be getting the Mrs SP20 done whenever I can find the time

IM47Gcv.jpg

#15 Marv

Marv

Rapist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 06:09 PM

Thanks for the kind words guys.

Yep my missus is Sez. I keep on at her to keep it clean but she doesnt listen...
Pork Hunt Motorsport

Posted Image

#16 fatcat67

fatcat67

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts
  • Interests:I'm too old to remember.

Posted 06 July 2011 - 06:13 PM

That's not Burgandy .............is it? I might need a new screen.
As Tony Montana would say:
In this country, you gotta make the money first.
Then when you get the money, you get the power.
Then when you get the power, then you get the women.

#17 Marv

Marv

Rapist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 06:19 PM

Yeeeeessss.... Vixen is totally burgundy...kinda
Pork Hunt Motorsport

Posted Image

#18 DukeNik'em

DukeNik'em

Car Sl#t

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,662 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 06:20 PM

This is an awesome thread. Really awesome.

That red is an interesting choice of colour.

If thy tint is dark and thy wheels are black thou car be declared b11tchin'

So you can run it on 6psi with an rx fuel pump? :P

#19 Scott

Scott

Formerly LiBeRtY Gx AwD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 06:25 PM

frikken top job mate

to get it to how it is now from what it was

#20 AussieTemplar

AussieTemplar

BMW driver on a Subaru forum

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,586 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 06:31 PM

Awesome build dude! Shit like this makes me wish I was settled down with a family, a house with a massive garage and a fuckload of time and money to build a car.. such as a Gen1 RS wagon!

Can't wait to see this thing at one of our cruises one day!

EHUf263.jpg?3

Get out of my thread.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users