162 replies to this topic

#41 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 01:35 PM

It's a 20-footer paint job, and yes there are runs in the tailgate and on one door.

FUBAR'd the bar. Thanks, champ.

Bad?

Need a replacement? Or is it salvageable?

#42 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 01:35 PM

This is before I cut her in quarters and took a steaming dump on the remains.
Posted Image

the red one! the one you sank a lottery into from what my brother told me... :drinks:

MY07 GT spec B

#43 Marv

Marv

Rapist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 01:38 PM

Bad?

Need a replacement? Or is it salvageable?

I think i can fix it... maybe... it's not hanging off or badly scuffed, just warped a bit.

the red one! the one you sank a lottery into from what my brother told me... :drinks:

Oh this one? Let's not talk about what happened to this one... grrr

Posted Image
Pork Hunt Motorsport

Posted Image

#44 AussieTemplar

AussieTemplar

BMW driver on a Subaru forum

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,586 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 02:14 PM

e30's <3

EHUf263.jpg?3

Get out of my thread.

#45 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 02:57 PM

If it's warped, chances are you can un-warp it by using boiling water (do it from the inside of the skin).

It MAY work.

#46 Marv

Marv

Rapist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 08:31 AM

Posted Image

:D
Pork Hunt Motorsport

Posted Image

#47 Claydog

Claydog

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 09:15 PM

nice rock garden, looks like sandstone.

#48 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 10:36 PM

:D

Looking forward to this...

#49 Shaz

Shaz

Differential Studios

• SC Videographer
  • 23,188 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 12:47 PM

Marv,

If you use a heatgun and heat up the outside of the bar, get it behind it and it should just pop out.

Done it a dew weekends ago on a mates pulsar.

Cheers,
Shazza

I put up with people from amnesty, red cross and now the cancer council almost daily hounding me!! Throw in the greens, green peace, unhcr, save the forking children and I've well and truly hit my limit for the number of fuckstains wanting me to sign something or give money. Seriously cubts,  :fork: right off.

#50 Marv

Marv

Rapist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 08:15 PM

Thanks for the tip, shazza. Ill get onto it after i get the box and diff in.

On that note, i pulled the oem brembo rotors off the hubs and the cut handbrake cables out. My new rotors pads and 2 pot calipers have arrived, ive got a liberty r160 diff flange to suit my tailshaft ive got which ill get a diff shop to install (ill expand why later), ive ordered the oem 5 speed side seals to convert the gearbox to run stock rs female driveshafts and ive already got the auto stubs tp plug into the front of the box. Im waiting on my new Exedy HD clutch from the us, whiteline subframe locking kit and am going to have to source a new rear swaybar as my stock one sucks dog wang and the cusco adjustable one that came with the gd sti rear cradle (used for its superior roll centres) wont fit around the spare wheel well.

Claydog - thats all stone from my parents house as it is outside their garagemahal. :)
Pork Hunt Motorsport

Posted Image

#51 burgs

burgs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 09:13 PM

Awesome Build Marv, Cant wait to see the end result B)

You tuning it your self?

#52 Marv

Marv

Rapist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 11:03 AM

Cue copy/paste rant from PF:

CSH: Took a couple of days off to jam a 2005 STi 6-speed gearbox and rear-end set-up into my RS Liberty wagon. Whole R180 rear-end (cradle, diff, CVs, new arms, new brakes, etc) went in easy as pie on Wed. All was going well, so I had an early night.

Got the old 5-speed out on thursday morning, new Exedy clutch/pressure plate I got from the States and my 6-speed flywheel in before lunch. I was worried about how tight the clutch was clamped to the flywheel, but this was the first time I'd worked with a 6-speed clutch (different to Subaru 5-speed shit) so after a couple of phone calls I was assured all was good.

I got the box, all 90kg of it, on the back of the motor and eventually wiggled it into position. Then it fouled on one of the 10mm locating dowels which was slightly burred. Schoolboy error - shoulda checked that. Pulled the box back out, ****** around with the dowel for ages.

I eventually got the dowel smooth and to the correct size with a borrowed dremel Friday morning. Hoiked the 'box back up and spent an hour buttoning the car up. Went to take it for a drive and while i could get gears with the engine off, it wouldn't go through the gates with the engine on. Yay. The clutch wasn't disengaging. That's ok, it'll be the stupid slave cylinder that has a bleed nipple AT THE ******* BOTTOM. Great design, Fuji Heavy Dickheads. Spent ages on Friday night swapping to a better slave and bleeding everything thoroughly to eliminate the slave. Still didn't work. Still not disengaging. I know this was Christopher Walken's way of remotely telling me that deep down I know Subarus are ****** and I'm an idiot for even bothering with this. That brought Friday night to an end.

Saturday - after I call a bunch of people and cry down the phone to them, I was told to glue my broken ****** back together and to take it for a drive. Apparently this is a common issue caused by a stupid flywheel design that is so hard to machine true, you may as well give up and use a flywheel made of jelly. Jelly would certainly be tastier and cause less injuries when it drops off the back of the motor into your face when being removed. The normal fix for the slight machining imperfections is to drive the car and burn a bit of the friction disc. This didn't work for me - all I did was piss off my neighbours with noise and clutch smoke.

So, clutch must be wrong. Box out again on Saturday afternoon and I'm feeling like a prize ******* dickhead. Once I got a look a the clutch it was easy to see something was badly, badly wrong. The friction disc had chunks pulled out of it and was heavily scored, my nice machined flywheel is ****** with deep scores in its face. The pressure plate still looked good, though. A bit dusty, but good - Exedy must make them out of pieces of Chuck Norris or something.

I put a spare, used stock 6MT friction disc and unmachined flywheel in, button it all back up and test the clutch feel. It's much better. A glimmer of hope emerges. And is then quickly dashed - clutch in, in 1st gear, start car and it lurches forward. By this point I'm pretty sure that I've tried to install a clutch on an ancient Indian burial ground that was desecrated at some point with Abba CDs and fat people wearing spandex. I give up, resort to drinking beer and talking about other cars in the garage with Benski.

I'm spending today shopping for clutches before going home and pulling the 'box for the 4th time to fit a new clutch. This ******* thing better launch like a cheetah after a fat ******* gazelle by the time its done.

/csh

Pork Hunt Motorsport

Posted Image

#53 Scuba-Roo

Scuba-Roo

The local

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,960 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 12:17 PM

Sounds like a PITA. Well worth it but! Atleast you won't be replacing 5spds every few weeks.

I've heard good things about XTD stage 2 clutches of eBay US, Reasonably cheap with a flywheel aswell.

Subyclub, The place where random internet weirdos become good mates

#54 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 05:04 PM

Sh1t go hombre.

#55 Adam

Adam

Snack down!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,970 posts
  • Interests:Not knowing things about stuff

Posted 08 August 2011 - 05:15 PM

That sucks! But damn you have a way with writing things in an entertaining way!

I know what it's like pulling a box out repetatively! Mine took 3 or 4 goes to get right, and I had to call in a pro (ben) to get the thing right!

Good luck fixing it!

Posted Image

#56 fatcat67

fatcat67

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts
  • Interests:I'm too old to remember.

Posted 08 August 2011 - 05:25 PM

Marv, this could be out of left field but can you check something.
Exedy make 06+ WRX clutch which is a "pull-type" whereas the 02-5 WRX clutch is a "push type" in the US.
They may have sent the incorrect part. It's weird as you've done heaps of these box in and out jobs and are struggling so much.
It's got to be something stupid like this.
As Tony Montana would say:
In this country, you gotta make the money first.
Then when you get the money, you get the power.
Then when you get the power, then you get the women.

#57 Steveee

Steveee

LowBACK

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 06:25 PM

Awesome job, You must have a lot of time? 0.0
One thing that is missing, you can get it here, first one on the list!
http://www.subyclub....p=subscriptions

Posted Image

#58 Marv

Marv

Rapist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 06:38 PM

Thanks guys. Frank i thought of that but all 01-05 sti 6mts should be the same. Part numbers line up too. I think its a manufacturing fault.

Stevee - huh? Stickers?
Pork Hunt Motorsport

Posted Image

#59 Marv

Marv

Rapist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 08:17 PM

Got a new clutch, fitted it Friday night, works fine.

Stupid yanks.

In other news, i love 6speeds. "that awkward moment when your fooli sik 80k hsv gets obliterated by a shitbox 20yr old family wagon while showing off to a bunch of chicks in the back seat"
Pork Hunt Motorsport

Posted Image

#60 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts
  • Interests:Taking a poo

Posted 14 August 2011 - 08:25 PM

Hahaha epic win!

BTW, was at Shelly Beach golf course yesterday and your Mrs drove right past me as I was walking down the carpark.
The windows were down so I yelled out her name and she still ignored me :P
Haha she much be distracted with wedding stuff ...and golf!!

IM47Gcv.jpg

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users