NSW | latest post
NT | latest post
QLD | latest post
SA | latest post
TAS | latest post
VIC | latest post
WA | latest post
Overseas | latest post

At the moment there's no real direction for specific models. In reality, it's just a bunch of liberty boys with a bunch of threads in different spots.
We really ned to have the specific sections of the forums to attract members who own and want to know about their specific models.

Who likes the format above?

I agree with you.
How easy is it to find stuff when it's laid out categorically.
Winner right there.
PS. the skin OZhonda use is really easy on the eye. Is it possible to have that as an option?
As Tony Montana would say:
In this country, you gotta make the money first.
Then when you get the money, you get the power.
Then when you get the power, then you get the women.

#42 Soop

Soop

Suck, squeeze, bang, blow.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 04:59 PM

I've thought about that splash page too Chris, check out Ozfoz's splash page. I also like the idea of the different categories. But what about instead of having them all layed out on the main page. We have them as child forums. Whereby you click "Specific models" on the home page, and then your taken to another page were you'll find the model your after. It saves scrolling for months to get to what you want.
TSM

#43 SUBARU

SUBARU

Massive Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 05:15 PM

I've thought about that splash page too Chris, check out Ozfoz's splash page.

I also like the idea of the different categories. But what about instead of having them all layed out on the main page. We have them as child forums. Whereby you click "Specific models" on the home page, and then your taken to another page were you'll find the model your after.
It saves scrolling for months to get to what you want.

What's with this desire not to scroll? It's a forum, everyone is used to scrolling through forums. as well as that, the layout that I've suggested above won't take too long to scroll through and it will always remain clean looking. Another bonus is having the latest thread under that cetegory visible from the home page. that way users can immediately see form the home page whether it's a topic they are interested in, or if it's a reply to a topic they are already involved in.

Paul, I'm not sure what you mean by click on Specific models on the home page and then finding the model you're after on another page. Are you talking about having say Impreza on the home page and then having WRX/RX/RS e.t.c. on the folowing page?

I'm still opting for the layout above

#44 Soop

Soop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 05:18 PM

Yeah pretty true i guess. Either way it wont worry me terribly.
TSM

#45 Jeff

Jeff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • Interests:Lee

Posted 20 August 2008 - 07:16 PM

I think SUBARU is onto something there, very nice idea +1

Just Married

#46 SUBARU

SUBARU

Massive Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 10:57 AM

So what's happening with my suggestion above? Is it a possibility or are we going to continue having a mix up of everything all over the site? I can see this site getting very hard to search and use if it stays the way it is!

#47 Mav

Mav

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 11:50 AM

well there is a search option that should do that for you :P
current - 2006, Gen 4 - 3.0r - spec b, mods - Cusco Strut Brace, Cusco 23mm Rear Swaybar, Cusco BCS, JDM spec b Grille, 6000k HID Xenons, UltraWhite LED Parkers
former - 2000, Gen 3 - 2.5l RX Liberty, mods - Powerchip Gold 98, Borla extractors, Cat-back sports exhaust, Bilstein Suspension w/ Kings low's, Whiteline X\Heavy duty ADJ rear swaybar, Whiteline front Strut Brace, 6000k HID Xenons.

#48 Dylan

Dylan

Almost gen2 time.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,236 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 11:58 AM

So what's happening with my suggestion above?

Is it a possibility or are we going to continue having a mix up of everything all over the site?

I can see this site getting very hard to search and use if it stays the way it is!

Personally I don't see a huge need to have the site set out in a gazillion categories.

Take a look at RSLC if you will. This site was (I believe) set up to cater for Gen1 owners, but throughout the years has come to house some of the most valuable information for later builds and models, as well as other vehicles types. A lot of Subaru's are built upon the same base, the engines and chassis are very similar and identical in some circumstances and due to this being the case I don't feel that there is enough of a need to have such a segregated forum as it will just add another layer of complication to an already complex layout.

That's my 2C on this, I think for now the site operates OK as it is - could be a few minor improvements - perhaps a restructure can be considered as the site grows?

#49 SUBARU

SUBARU

Massive Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 12:08 PM

Personally I don't see a huge need to have the site set out in a gazillion categories.

Take a look at RSLC if you will. This site was (I believe) set up to cater for Gen1 owners, but throughout the years has come to house some of the most valuable information for later builds and models, as well as other vehicles types. A lot of Subaru's are built upon the same base, the engines and chassis are very similar and identical in some circumstances and due to this being the case I don't feel that there is enough of a need to have such a segregated forum as it will just add another layer of complication to an already complex layout.

That's my 2C on this, I think for now the site operates OK as it is - could be a few minor improvements - perhaps a restructure can be considered as the site grows?

Thanks for the response Dylan. Without sounding obtuse, I think you're missing the point though... RSLC was built for Liberty's/Legacy's so it can afford to have the layout it does.

I understand where you are coming from with the comment about the cross pollination of engines, chassis, e.t.c. across the Subaru model lineup, but try telling a die hard WRX fan that his car has the same setup as a Fozzy e.t.c.
If you are serious about making this site a community for all Subaru models, it will NEED to have the different categories. How will you expect the site to grow if you don't have the different categories to cater for the specific needs of peoples model choice.
There is no motivation for anyone who doesn't have a Liberty to post anything on this site at the moment.
It's like the old saying, "Build it and they will come."

#50 Dylan

Dylan

Almost gen2 time.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,236 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 12:13 PM

Thanks for the response Dylan. Without sounding obtuse, I think you're missing the point though... RSLC was built for Liberty's/Legacy's so it can afford to have the layout it does.

I understand where you are coming from with the comment about the cross pollination of engines, chassis, e.t.c. across the Subaru model lineup, but try telling a die hard WRX fan that his car has the same setup as a Fozzy e.t.c.
If you are serious about making this site a community for all Subaru models, it will NEED to have the different categories. How will you expect the site to grow if you don't have the different categories to cater for the specific needs of peoples model choice.
There is no motivation for anyone who doesn't have a Liberty to post anything on this site at the moment.
It's like the old saying, "Build it and they will come."

Very valid points my friend.

It is a big job to through it all in to that many categories but it might be something that can be done soon. People who have seen this seem to agree with it, and there certainly seems to be nobody outright dismissing it.

You've done a pretty good job at convincing me really :)

#51 SUBARU

SUBARU

Massive Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 12:39 PM

Very valid points my friend.

It is a big job to through it all in to that many categories but it might be something that can be done soon. People who have seen this seem to agree with it, and there certainly seems to be nobody outright dismissing it.

You've done a pretty good job at convincing me really :)

If it's a big job, many hands make light work. If I can assist in any way, just let me know!

#52 SUBARU

SUBARU

Massive Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 07:31 PM

Ummm.. Any updates? Let's set this puppy up to accomodate for models!!!! I'm almost scared to say, that the site is at risk of being a chat board for just us!

#53 Soop

Soop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 07:34 PM

Settle pettle. There's lots of work being done in the background by the Admin mate. Things you cant see that will help lots later on.
TSM

#54 Pete S

Pete S

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 07:37 PM

Give it some time, how exactly did you want the forum categories? Also need little descriptions for each. I'm not too great with words so I have left it.

#55 SUBARU

SUBARU

Massive Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 07:46 PM

Give it some time, how exactly did you want the forum categories? Also need little descriptions for each. I'm not too great with words so I have left it.

Give me a minute or five and I'll mock something up for you as to how I reckon the "Suby Club Forums" page should be laid out.

#56 Soop

Soop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 07:50 PM

Were you going to do a mock up of a splash page also? That would be really cool...
TSM

#57 SUBARU

SUBARU

Massive Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 07:57 PM

Were you going to do a mock up of a splash page also?

That would be really cool...

splash page will be something seperate.

When I say mock up for the forum topics, it'll just be written in a reply post.

The splash page mock up and flash banner are on their way soon.

#58 SUBARU

SUBARU

Massive Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 08:38 PM

OK,

Here's my idea of what would work.. Imagine that you are looking at the "Suby Club Community" forum page. It might seem like a task to build it, but after year in working on online advertising, thisis the way we will acheive the best and most streamlined results for user interface. Let me know your thoughts.

Suby Club Community

Introductions
Introduce yourself as a new member to subyclub.com

News
Latest news and updates related to subyclub.com

Site Discussion
Questions, comments and discussions specific to the site

FAQ’s
The answers to our most frequently asked questions

General Discussion
General off topic discussions

n00b Thread
New to the site? Got a basic question? This one’s for you!

Just to explain the next section a bit, each model section (apart from other models) should have a sub category containing each generation and then another sub category containing the technical sections of Engine/Driveline, Electronics, Body, DIY, Builds and Projects, Track, Dyno and Drag results.

Model Specific

Impreza
All models from N MY93 to G3 MY08

Forester
All models from 79V MY97 to 79V MY08

Liberty (Legacy)
All models from 1GEN MY89 to 4GEN MY08

Outback
All models from 2GEN MY96 to 4GEN MY08

Tribeca
All models from B9 MY07 to B9 MY08

Other models
360, Baja, Brat, Brumby, Sherpa, Fiori, Justy, L Series, Leone, Loyale, SVX, Vortex

Classifieds

Sell your car
Place an ad for Subaru models only

General Sales
Place an ad for anything you’re selling

Wanted to buy
Looking for something? Place a wanted ad

Regional Topics

National
Topics related to National news, meets and events

ACT
Topics related to ACT news, meets and events

NSW
Topics related to NSW news, meets and events

NT
Topics related to NT news, meets and events

QLD
Topics related to QLD news, meets and events

SA
Topics related to SA news, meets and events

TAS
Topics related to TAS news, meets and events

VIC
Topics related to VIC news, meets and events

WA
Topics related to WA news, meets and events

Overseas
Topics related to Overseas news, meets and events

#59 CRUISN

CRUISN

Doin it my way.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,970 posts
  • Interests:Family, Surfing, Cars.

Posted 27 August 2008 - 08:40 PM

I like. Well done. All pretty well laid out.

OEM+

#60 Dylan

Dylan

Almost gen2 time.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,236 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 08:53 PM

Good stuff mate, only thing which I would think needs to be changed is rather than have a 'sub forum' option under the models, perhaps just a category or one way to sort the chalk from the cheese. Not sure what options exist for this board to assign 'categories' to posts but I might do some research. Apart from that, it seems like a sensible, easy to navigate layout that would prove very successful.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users