74 replies to this topic

#61 tangcla

tangcla

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 09:32 PM

Hey Kosti. Your avatar looks suspiciously like a photo that I took...

It's even crooked like my photo!
Posted Image
www.tangcla.com - photography

Canon EOS 5D Mark | Canon 1D Mark III
16-35mm f/2.8L |24-70mm f/2.8L
85mm f/1.2L | 100mm f/2.8 macro | 580EX-II | 430EX-II x2 | PocketWizard TT1/TT5

#62 SUBARU

SUBARU

Massive Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 09:33 PM

Good stuff mate, only thing which I would think needs to be changed is rather than have a 'sub forum' option under the models, perhaps just a category or one way to sort the chalk from the cheese.

Not sure what options exist for this board to assign 'categories' to posts but I might do some research.

Apart from that, it seems like a sensible, easy to navigate layout that would prove very successful.

Yeah, I know what you mean... Only problem with that is that we'll need to differentiate between the model generations and then accomodate to the technical aspects of those generations as a sub category once they've clicked on the model they are needing info on/posting about.

Know what I mean?

#63 Soop

Soop

Suck, squeeze, bang, blow.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 09:43 PM

Makes sense. But we run the risk of constantly having an empty forum if we have too many sub catagories.
TSM

#64 SUBARU

SUBARU

Massive Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 09:56 PM

Makes sense.
But we run the risk of constantly having an empty forum if we have too many sub catagories.

Not at all...

We can display the latest post within that thread on the main forum page, that will keep it looking fresh and updated and will provide a quick link through to anyone that is subscribed to that thread.

#65 tangcla

tangcla

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 08:50 AM

I agree not to split it up too much. It also means members will be reading through the forum a alo more, too.

#66 Dylan

Dylan

Almost gen2 time.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,236 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 11:18 AM

Guys, please keep it on topic and avoid dragging this board down. I just deleted several posts that were not relevant at all. Previous sites don't matter anymore, nor do the politics.

#67 SUBARU

SUBARU

Massive Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 11:53 AM

I agree not to split it up too much. It also means members will be reading through the forum a alo more, too.

Fair point, but don't lose site of the fact that this site is supposed to expand away from just Liberty's. As all of us on here at the moment all have a Liberty, and in the forums' current format works well for us.
However, there is no way around having to split the forum up into model categories and sub forums later down the track in order to attract members who own other Subaru models.

We keep saying things like, let the site grow and spread the work and as membership increases e.t.c. but let's face facts, we are only going to get a limited amount of members on here unless we proactively market the site to accommodate for members who have other models and want to contribute to the site.

There really is no other way around it, unless we want to make this a Liberty/Legacy forum only.

#68 tangcla

tangcla

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 12:11 PM

Fair point, but don't lose site of the fact that this site is supposed to expand away from just Liberty's.

Then why not split it laterally - drivetrain, engine, interior, exterior, suspension, brakes, wheels etc? I think all Subarus and all cars have these things too. ;)

#69 SUBARU

SUBARU

Massive Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 12:14 PM

Then why not split it laterally - drivetrain, engine, interior, exterior, suspension, brakes, wheels etc? I think all Subarus and all cars have these things too. ;)

That's what I was suggesting to do if you look at my suggested forum layout on the previous pages! Is that what you mean by splitting it laterally?

#70 tangcla

tangcla

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 03:27 PM

That's what I was suggesting to do if you look at my suggested forum layout on the previous pages! Is that what you mean by splitting it laterally?

I think so... threads on here get derailed too quickly.

#71 twinturbosubaru

twinturbosubaru

Trusted Member

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 04:18 PM

Think of it like this for a moment, then think about it again, then post your response if you have one. OK we have a few subaru models as a minimum: Liberty/Legacy Impreza Tribeca Leone Brumby 1800 6 Models at least plus more I have thought of already.... Then we have the individual models within those, let's allow for 5 variations over time each Then we have forum topics under each, being for example, drivetrain, engine, interior, exterior, suspension, brakes, wheels as has been suggested. Let us do some quick maths on that, 6 models, 5 variants, 7 topics = 210 forums and/or topics. Now please tell me again that it's a good idea. I know what everybody is saying makes sense and all, but it's not going to happen, imagine trying to even lightly moderate 210 forums on top of what we have already ? This is how it will probably happen, so if you want to make more comments, make then relevant to this. I imagine we will have a forum for each model type, i.e. Liberty/Legacy, Impreza, etc. We will then have a section under each for the topics like drivetrain, engine, interior, exterior, suspension, brakes, wheels etc. , no model variants. This makes sense as it's logically broken up, but doesn't create a labrynth of forums that just make it too damn hard to administer and moderate, not to mention navigate. It still caters for each model, and discussions about topics for each model. Let's be sensible here and think about the situation from all sides of the fence. Regards Paul
GEN4 Black Liberty 3.0R Spec B Wagon
GEN1 Red Mica RS Liberty - Stock factory original

Love is a Legacy, Liberty, etc......

#72 Mav

Mav

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 04:39 PM

completely agree with you paul! keep it seperated but simple hehe :P lazy tired friday afternoon just read what paul wrote ...
current - 2006, Gen 4 - 3.0r - spec b, mods - Cusco Strut Brace, Cusco 23mm Rear Swaybar, Cusco BCS, JDM spec b Grille, 6000k HID Xenons, UltraWhite LED Parkers
former - 2000, Gen 3 - 2.5l RX Liberty, mods - Powerchip Gold 98, Borla extractors, Cat-back sports exhaust, Bilstein Suspension w/ Kings low's, Whiteline X\Heavy duty ADJ rear swaybar, Whiteline front Strut Brace, 6000k HID Xenons.

#73 tangcla

tangcla

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 05:01 PM

Paul, I'm not sure if IPB allows you to do so, but can you multi-index each thread, i.e. a thread belongs in "Liberty" and "Engine"?

#74 Soop

Soop

Suck, squeeze, bang, blow.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 05:03 PM

+1 for KISS. Personally. I think we should keep the technical section the way it is. And just have a general forum for each model. There isn't enough variation in the drive lines or suspension to warrant a new tech forum for each model. Also, yes it is only Liberty drivers on here at the moment. But how did you find it? Word of mouth (e-mouth anyway) i bet, The only way we'll gain more members if you lot get away from the keyboard for 20mins and go tell some fellow Subaru drivers. Another issue: I think we should perhaps not try and compete with Ozfoz. They have a massive following and a great technical base. One which i doubt very strongly that we could compete with on the finer Forester issues. Co-existence is the key here.
TSM

#75 tangcla

tangcla

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 08:10 PM

I vote for category breakdown rather than model breakdown. You'll have an engine-related issue which would be pretty universal across all models... I'd think... edit: It also allows more 'learning' from forum members to read more about other cars. edit edit: oh, the 'last edited by' is now active! :P

Edited by tangcla, 29 August 2008 - 08:11 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users