83 replies to this topic

#1 DukeNik'em

DukeNik'em

Car Sl#t

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,662 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 10:07 PM

Hi, Just thought this might answer quick questions and maybe give people heads up on legality of their modifications. Simply write up if you've been defected by a cop for a mod that you honestly thought was legal, or you thought was well hidden. Also write up if you're afraid of being defected. Of course easiest way is to ring up or visit your local Cop Shop and they'll be all for helping you make your car legal without the fines. Obvious first is the POD filter. They are illegal, you will be defected or warned. If it's in the guard don't lie, because they'll notice the absence of the filter box in the bay. Numerous mates have been pulled on this one. Just admit you have one, and maybe you didn't know they were illegal. Another one with the Liberty's. The rear garnish is a road worthy item, a cop can fine you for it if it's cracked/broken, just like a broken tail light or brake light. Also good to know when getting Safety Certificate if you're selling. And can lower price if you're buying. Hope this thread will go on to educate people so we can drive hassle free from canaries. And maybe get some Rep up amongst the Constabulary. Nick

If thy tint is dark and thy wheels are black thou car be declared b11tchin'

So you can run it on 6psi with an rx fuel pump? :P

#2 ams

ams

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29,212 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 10:11 PM

Of course easiest way is to ring up or visit your local Cop Shop and they'll be all for helping you make your car legal without the fines.

Hint: Start the conversation with "A friend of mine has a liberty..."

Ugh i could ramble on for forking days about this stuff.

#3 Guest_SubaruJunkie_*

Guest_SubaruJunkie_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 October 2008 - 06:44 AM

Im sure that they will help you out like they are your best friend, but DOUBLE standards apply..... Prime example: its illegal to have a dvd player working in the front while driving, cops the computer screen for checking regos and etc is on all the time even if there is one police officer who is in the car driving, illegal or not???? Double Standards or not???

#4 buddylove

buddylove

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 09:36 AM

I wasnt defected, but during a RBT. The police officer noticed the c-spanners and tools laying on the floor of the passenger side, enquired what they were for. I honestly said they were for the suspension to adjust the height. He then check my BAC level, checked my rego and license and let me on my way. Then proceeded to have a nice cruise up Mt Coo-tha. A lot of cops normally hang out around there trying to bust all the hooligans.

MY07 GT-B 6MT Sedan

#5 93tzlegacy

93tzlegacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 04:37 PM

i have been defected for my fmic 3 times, even after an engineers cert.....

Benny's Custom Works supplying OEM new, aftermarket new and used parts at the best prices 

0415 522 512

wagonsyndicatesig.jpg

#6 Guest_SubaruJunkie_*

Guest_SubaruJunkie_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2008 - 04:39 PM

the best is sticking a Trade card in the automotive industry infront off there nose and going where does it say that its ilegal? they change there tune everytime...

#7 Pete S

Pete S

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 05:07 PM

If your car is modified chances are something is illegal, they don't have to prove it on the spot. Will just send you into a checking station/epa to get looked at. From what I hear it's getting harder and harder to pass the inspections. Yes it's double standards at times but they're the Police.

#8 Guest_SubaruJunkie_*

Guest_SubaruJunkie_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2008 - 05:09 PM

If your car is modified chances are something is illegal, they don't have to prove it on the spot. Will just send you into a checking station/epa to get looked at. From what I hear it's getting harder and harder to pass the inspections.

Yes it's double standards at times but they're the Police.

you take it to court and you get the on modifications and what applys to the particular car and u prove it and ur off...but those books are hard to get a hold of...but its all about double standards.... :sarcastic:

#9 93tzlegacy

93tzlegacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 08:48 PM

i was defected for my fmic once because it was uncovered and you could burn yourself, the officer was driving an unmarked f6 typhoon with a bigger fmic and factory bar grille removed, i queried him on it and he told me it was his AC core..... what a fcukwit.

Benny's Custom Works supplying OEM new, aftermarket new and used parts at the best prices 

0415 522 512

wagonsyndicatesig.jpg

#10 3p!demiC

3p!demiC

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 12:00 PM

Cops have attempted to defect me 6 times since i got my car. Each time its for the dials on my hood and once the cop broke like 10 laws just to pull me over. I show them my engineers cert and they get all pissed off they can't defect me. cops on power trips can lick my balls. :P
1992 Subaru Liberty GX

the taste of semen is complex and dynamic

Posted Image

#11 legacy rsk

legacy rsk

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 04:56 PM

secrect is dont do illegal modifications......engineers certificates!!! A lot of those who write them out would not know if the modifications is illegal or not my car was passed with a un enclosed pod filter by the RTA as it was fitted to my car when it came out from japan, but it is a personal import, if it came in under S.E.V.S in would have had to be removed.

1d3cb771-b699-4175-8507-6d835cbca0d8_zps

#12 Evil_VZ-T

Evil_VZ-T

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 11:52 PM

Yeah my car is engineered for the lot. I got defected for "not enough clearence between guard and tyre" is this possible
MY02 Liberty B4

#13 Guest_SubaruJunkie_*

Guest_SubaruJunkie_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 November 2008 - 12:23 AM

Yeah my car is engineered for the lot.

I got defected for "not enough clearence between guard and tyre" is this possible

anything is possible, even the wiper wash fluid low.

#14 Ericmcg

Ericmcg

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 11:15 AM

Cops have attempted to defect me 6 times since i got my car.
Each time its for the dials on my hood and once the cop broke like 10 laws just to pull me over.
I show them my engineers cert and they get all pissed off they can't defect me.

cops on power trips can lick my balls. :P

You can always tell the cops that are on a power trip because they stomp up to your car like a nazi stormtrooper, and then probably sit at home in the dark all night watching Dirty Harry movies fondling themselves :sarcastic:
Posted Image Posted Image

#15 hawks_123

hawks_123

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 12:11 PM

Did anyone ever think that perhaps some of the negative attitudes that some have towards the Police Makes them want to defect you? They do read some of these forums. And the way that some of you talk about them is pretty awful. No wonder they want to take us off the road.
If it's broke use a cable tie.

#16 CodeBurn3r

CodeBurn3r

Resident Mexican

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 07:41 PM

just to clarify, pod filters are not illegal (unless you are takling about P Platers, and for P platers any under bonnet modification is illegal) Most states they must be enclosed though, BUT... Vic law does not require a POD to be enclosed only that the pod is "Secured" As for guard clearance, as long as tyres do not "come in contact under normal suspension travel", "protrude beyond the guard" or "are more than 15mm wider than factory fitted tyres" you should be fine in Victoria. Engineer's certs are definantly the way to go though! but just to add to the list of defects that i have heard and/or know of; Loose battery terminals and/or tie down Worn wiper blades Sunvisors missing or not staying up Amp wire running though firewall(apparently it allows toxic gasses into the cabin :dash2: ) Stupid laws and things that get you in trouble; Foglights on in non visibility imparing conditions (RX drivers don't panic, you can say they are driving lights and the outers are fog lights) Empty bicycle rack attached to car Tools laying un secured in car(and in some cases even having excess tools in the car??? hammers get you into s**t too) carying any compressed gas bottle in the passenger compartment (including BBQ gas cylinders)
ams: "Can't live with them, can't throw rocks at them."

#17 lebspec_liberty

lebspec_liberty

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
  • Interests:Working on cars in general<br />Cruising

Posted 13 September 2009 - 08:35 AM

anything other than standard can cop u a defect.. i have been done twice in the 8 months ive had my gen 2 i got done for- too low -not enough guard clearance -wheels too big they are exact same rolling diameter as standard) -rear garnish brake lights (shouldnt be connected in australia) -exhaust too loud (113db) -exhaust exiting on an angle (same as wrx) -amp mounted on parcel tray -hid getting brighter as they warm up. (he said theyd be fine if they turned straight on) -customising my dash lights -rolled guards -gear knob -painted brake calipers -aerial not working..(disconected as i dont like it up) -having the japspec fog lights connected -having extractors (but they are standard headers) -not enough undercar clearance..(apparently different to too low) -performace air filter (its stock standard panel filter) and have been warned about badging the rear of my car as to in an emergency ppl wont know what kinda car it is.. figure that one out.. so ppl you havnt been hassled but be nice to the cop and he'll most probably let u go as ive had my cal like this since december and only defected twice.. but pulled over at least every weekend..
LEB SPEC Gen 2 Rx AWD
Jap Spec EJ25 - 6000k hid kit headlights and fog lights - Leather interior - 18" incubus rims - Super low suspension - Turbo Bonnet - 2.5 inch catback with cannon - front mounted 6x9"s connected to amp - 2 x 12" fusion subs - Pioneer head deck. + turbo timer just because i had one lol

#18 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 08:53 AM

- no H pattern on your gearstick - make sure your seats are secured and all bolts on toight - its also illegal to have your battery earthed via a jumper cable to your strut brace :D

'04 Liberty GT Premium "The Sprog Chariot"

#19 Scuba-Roo

Scuba-Roo

The local

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,960 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 09:43 AM

I mate of amate had 20s on his statesman and the police tried to defect him for that so he pulled out the spare Tyre and showed them it was te same rolling diameter... I guess the cop could always question weather it's the stock spare wheel size or not

Subyclub, The place where random internet weirdos become good mates

#20 robt

robt

Cock Rockin'

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 951 posts
  • Interests:Hairstyles

Posted 13 September 2009 - 06:11 PM

So a POD filter is OK here in Vic? I may get one and put my BMC panel in the new Foz.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users