Photo

Gen 3 Gearbox Change to 6 speed

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Rustyrobertson

Rustyrobertson

Boxer this, Boxer that, Boxer EVERYTHING!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 11:39 PM

hey guys i am wanting to change my Gen3 liberty gearbox to a 6 speed asap (current 5 speed not healthy), how much work and effort is required for me to do this conversion?

Thank you

Russell

#2 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 12:16 AM

If you don't have a turbo motor, then I wouldn't bother.

Repair/replace your current gearbox.

If you have a modified turbo motor, and intend on keeping the car, then its a worthwhile option.

Budget $6k+

#3 aekOne

aekOne

Boss Pelican

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,349 posts
  • Interests:Regulating

Posted 03 October 2011 - 12:22 AM

Alex is spot on.

to start with, it'll probably cost you more than your car is worth, second, although a 6 speed is a nice luxury to have, it's not something you need in your car

you need more than just the gearbox to make it work. gearbox, clutch release fork, clutch, flywheel, tail shaft, 6 speed transmission mounts, 6 speed crossmember, 6 speed shift linkage, 6 speed clutch master cylinder, shift knob, rear diff (if you go R180 you'll need new matching hubs and rear drive shafts). also to consider is going DCCD (so you need the DCCD controller).

in the end of the day it's your time, money and car so do as you like but really i don't see the need for it in the car you have, as alex said, if you had a turbo then it'd be worth considering. as it is, cost vs need doesn't add up.

Rather than just a 6 speed conversion you'd be better off doing a complete turbo converion using a V7 STI cut

If you want something stronger for now why not look into a wrx/sti 5 speed? If it was me, i'd be looking for a straight/similar replacement or repair to what you already have

: My Liberty :

signature_1_35.jpg

#4 Rustyrobertson

Rustyrobertson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 12:26 AM

cool thanks guys, i didnt know there was that much to go into a 6spd conversion, i do plan on doing a engine conversion, but that is for when i get my opens (2014), anywhere you know of where i can get a decent box? i was thinking of going to sunspares.

#5 Scuba-Roo

Scuba-Roo

The local

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,960 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 05:45 AM

Check my for sale thread ;)

Subyclub, The place where random internet weirdos become good mates

#6 fatcat67

fatcat67

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts
  • Interests:I'm too old to remember.

Posted 03 October 2011 - 09:07 AM

cool thanks guys, i didnt know there was that much to go into a 6spd conversion, i do plan on doing a engine conversion, but that is for when i get my opens (2014), anywhere you know of where i can get a decent box? i was thinking of going to sunspares.

Sunspares are expensive.
Keep a look out on the forums.
What do you think is wrong with your box? What is it doing?
As Tony Montana would say:
In this country, you gotta make the money first.
Then when you get the money, you get the power.
Then when you get the power, then you get the women.

#7 Rustyrobertson

Rustyrobertson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 10:35 AM

in full lock the front left wheel feels like it dont want to turn (rotate) it gets to a point in the rotation and jolts, cv's are fine, bearings are fine,and the sync-ro's are going in 3rd and 4th

#8 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 11:21 AM

in full lock the front left wheel feels like it dont want to turn (rotate) it gets to a point in the rotation and jolts, cv's are fine, bearings are fine,and the sync-ro's are going in 3rd and 4th

re: 3rd and 4th have you changed and flushed the gearbox oil yet?

MY07 GT spec B

#9 Xon

Xon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 02:55 PM

Even converting from a non-turbo to a turbo gearbox needs more effort than you'd expect. You're best off just getting another NA box, which you should be able to find for $500ish.

I would have gone to the kitchen, collected a brown bag, dropped my dacks, pinched off a loaf in said bag, done up dacks, stickytaped bag, placed bag in envelope, and mailed it right to your face for being such a tool.

It's ok, sometimes when we herp, we also derp.

#10 fatcat67

fatcat67

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts
  • Interests:I'm too old to remember.

Posted 03 October 2011 - 04:05 PM

That to me sounds like the centre diff may be cactus.
If I read right you have an NA Liberty, so not really a box breaker. However, centre diffs can go giving similar symptoms.
If it feels OK in a straight line but under half to full lock it starts to jump or shudder that is what I'd say is the problem.
Centre diff replacement can be done with the gearbox insitu.
As Tony Montana would say:
In this country, you gotta make the money first.
Then when you get the money, you get the power.
Then when you get the power, then you get the women.

#11 Rustyrobertson

Rustyrobertson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 11:21 PM

cool thanks guys for the info :) much appreciated, but now she has given me a new problem to work out first :( missing in the left hand cylinders, ruled out all electrical faults, now to look at the mechanical side of things :(

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users