• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#21 tezza078

tezza078

• Members
  • Pip
  • 72 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 07:39 AM

Thanks guys. Would love one of the units that you posted up alex but the funds are going into building my engine at the moment. Would just like to be able to keep a check on boost, oil temp and oil pressure if possible. Also maybe water temp aswell but then i would need a 4 gauge pod and they don't seem to have them at all. So maybe just 3 in the dash and the boost gauge behind the steering wheel will be how i go then i guess. Once again thanks heaps guys. This is by far the best website for any help and info. Well done to you all!!!

#22 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 07:52 AM

Just asking here.

How much do you expect to pay for the whole thing?

Let's just say... $150 per gauge. Three gauges, that's $450.
For the actual pod... let's say $100.

That's $550.

Who's installing it? You? or $omebody El$e?

The SubDataScanner is a terrific unit. I have one of the older ones, and I must say, it has been GOLD in engine monitoring. I have detected many faults where normally, I wouldn't have. Example: Blown head gasket on old engine: Whilst the temperature gauge on the dash sat on the normal level, I was able to see that the temp the ECU was seeing was oscillating rapidly from 87-97 degrees whilst doing freeway speeds (110km/h, fifth gear, 2800rpm).

The new ones are colour touch screen, have built in GPS, and are highly modular and adaptable. And when you don't want to be looking at it.. unplug it and put it away!

I'll be buying a new one when I go aftermarket ECU. Oh yeah... buy a new cable, and the SubdataScanner will work with a range of aftermarket ECUs.

If you're not sold, then by all means, go buy gauges. But I think they're a waste of time and money when there's this thing.

#23 tezza078

tezza078

• Members
  • Pip
  • 72 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 09:47 AM

Good point will have a chat to the minister for finance and see what she says. Have already purchased a boost gauge though but did get it real cheap off ebay $45. Also you can get the pod for around 40 to 80. Anyway like i said I will talk to the missus and see. Looks like another heaps fun toy to have to play with at least.

#24 SAV84C

SAV84C

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,480 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 10:42 AM

Shazzas $1.50 towball cover gauge pod

Posted Image

http://www.subyclub...._20#entry152226

#25 tezza078

tezza078

• Members
  • Pip
  • 72 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 04:42 PM

That looks good. Is it just stuck down with double sided tape? Look like a good fit too. Why has he mounted it off to the side but and not in the middle?

#26 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts
  • Interests:Taking a poo

Posted 14 October 2011 - 04:47 PM

There's a factory switch there

IM47Gcv.jpg

#27 tezza078

tezza078

• Members
  • Pip
  • 72 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 04:55 PM

There's a factory switch there

Snap forgot about that it's the hazards switch. Damn it that 's where I wanted to put mine.

#28 aekOne

aekOne

Boss Pelican

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,349 posts
  • Interests:Regulating

Posted 14 October 2011 - 04:56 PM

also in the middle obscures view of speedo/tacho. mounted down on the side just blocks a small amount of the fuel gauge

: My Liberty :

signature_1_35.jpg

#29 Xon

Xon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 05:37 PM

Um, I think boost is a little more important than speed Aek?

I would have gone to the kitchen, collected a brown bag, dropped my dacks, pinched off a loaf in said bag, done up dacks, stickytaped bag, placed bag in envelope, and mailed it right to your face for being such a tool.

It's ok, sometimes when we herp, we also derp.

#30 CRUISN

CRUISN

Doin it my way.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,970 posts
  • Interests:Family, Surfing, Cars.

Posted 14 October 2011 - 08:17 PM

I like them integrated.

Put my gen2 one in the vent.....

IMG]http://i85.photobuck...on/IMGP2293.jpg[/IMG]

And I made one for the Gen4 to make use of the useless panel in the dash. CF wrap was a trial, now in textured matt black FTW. I wasnt going to put a gauge/gauges in the Gen4, but was requested to make a panel for someone so made one for myself also...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

OEM+

#31 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 09:14 PM

Here's my inspiration. Will be trying to make something similar in the next few weeks -

Posted Image

IM47Gcv.jpg

#32 Xon

Xon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 09:24 PM

Damn that looks classy Morgan! Looks like the vent would still be usable too.

I would have gone to the kitchen, collected a brown bag, dropped my dacks, pinched off a loaf in said bag, done up dacks, stickytaped bag, placed bag in envelope, and mailed it right to your face for being such a tool.

It's ok, sometimes when we herp, we also derp.

#33 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 09:27 PM

Yea that's the plan :)

Got a few ideas up my sleeve to fab it up...

IM47Gcv.jpg

#34 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 09:42 PM

There are other options like this for the Foz but it's much further away for the driver's eyes which are supposed to be on the road...

Posted Image

Posted Image

IM47Gcv.jpg

#35 TSG

TSG

Cured

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 10:28 PM

I am probably just going to mount on the column... I thought about the center console/DIN pocket, but as you just said, it gets a bit far away from the driver.

I like how that gauge is moulded into the vent so you don't lose it. What walts did works too :P I just want to keep it simple.

#36 tezza078

tezza078

• Members
  • Pip
  • 72 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 07:49 AM

Shit there is so many options now that i never thought of. I really like the one that you have made up cruisn. Might have to make one up at work before i leave for the mines. :ph34r: Also like the one that goes into the drivers side air vent. Would you have to get that custom made or what? Might have to pull that vent out when my gauge gets here and see how it fits.

#37 Shaz

Shaz

Differential Studios

• SC Videographer
  • 23,188 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 02:43 PM

That looks good. Is it just stuck down with double sided tape? Look like a good fit too. Why has he mounted it off to the side but and not in the middle?

Hey mate,

It has 2 screws from inside the gauge cup, going into the column. Just real small ones.

Mounted it on the side, so it didn't interfere with my speedo/tacho.

The only thing I can't see with that gauge mounted in that position, is the low fuel light.

Cheers,
Shazza

I put up with people from amnesty, red cross and now the cancer council almost daily hounding me!! Throw in the greens, green peace, unhcr, save the forking children and I've well and truly hit my limit for the number of fuckstains wanting me to sign something or give money. Seriously cubts,  :fork: right off.

#38 tezza078

tezza078

• Members
  • Pip
  • 72 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 05:35 PM

Thanks for that Shazza will be getting onto that tomorrow and will post up some pics.

#39 CRUISN

CRUISN

Doin it my way.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,970 posts
  • Interests:Family, Surfing, Cars.

Posted 17 October 2011 - 04:01 PM

Gen4 stealth install FTW. :D

Panel in matt black, cover opens and closes fully as normal with no fouling on any part of the panel or gauges. No part of the cubby hole cut or modified to fit panel/gauges.

I only really wanted a boost gauge (I wasnt going to put gauges in this car at all) the volts one is just there to fill a hole with minimal wiring. The white part of the gauges are LED backlit with the digital displat red so should match the interior nicely. Will wire up this week.

Posted Image

Posted Image

OEM+

#40 B4TT

B4TT

Soviet Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,547 posts
  • Interests:Rodina-Mat

Posted 17 October 2011 - 04:32 PM

Alex, more info on this SubDataScanner if you don't mind :D