24 replies to this topic

#1 Cam.

Cam.

OEM+

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,906 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 10:45 PM

I was lucky enough to drive both the manual and automatic FT86's that got delivered at work yesterday.

Exterior: Looks awesome besides the wheels, The HID's are BRIGHT! and the finish is spectacular, Hardly any orange peel either.

Interior: Looks like a corolla sport had a baby with a late model STI. The Steering wheel felt great and the seats felt great, Very soft though. No leg room in the back, As you would expect.

Engine: Very dull, Sounded like any other NA subaru being given a hard time. Power delivery was smooth and in the manual it was very responsive, The auto not so much.

Transmission: The manual was awesome, So smooth and the gearing felt just right. The clutch was a bit light for my liking. The Automatic wasn't very good. Very laggy between gears and the gears are very long.

Brakes: Felt alright, Pulled the car up nicely and didn't feel unsafe at any point.

Suspension: The cars rode very smoothly for something so stiff! Loved the corners and gave me a heap of confidence. Had a little bit of body roll.

Wheels: I hate the wheels, They look very cheap and are very sunk in the guards.

Very reasonably priced and the 6 we got delivered are sold already, Those two demo's I drove are the last we will see in Newcastle for another month.

I hope they put a turbo one into production in the future as the the space between the thermos and headers was begging for a snail, It had plenty of room.

After driving one, I don't want one. It felt good to be in the bugeye on the way home.

Sorry for the crappy review and photos but, Here you go!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Asb2OgK.jpg?1

#2 AussieTemplar

AussieTemplar

BMW driver on a Subaru forum

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,586 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 10:49 PM

Nice writeup. Thanks!

EHUf263.jpg?3

Get out of my thread.

#3 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 10:56 PM

Nice write up.

Looks like Toyota still haven't learnt that bracing shouldn't be tied in with the firewall!!

#4 Cam.

Cam.

OEM+

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,906 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 11:05 PM

No worries guys, I did a heap of training on these things in Sydney not long ago and they seem alright besides a few things that bug me.

That intake sound 'Producer' that feeds into the cabin from the intake is so tacky, It sounds terrible.

You could count the Toyota parts in it with your fingers, It's got Subaru stamped on EVERYTHING!

Asb2OgK.jpg?1

#5 TSG

TSG

Cured

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 11:47 PM

Everyone seems to be saying the same thing, is the 'down on power' relative to a Turbo Subaru or say, a regular NA Subaru? Do you go into it expecting more than it gives, would be another way to word it. I imagine it is fun to drive. Didn't know about the sound producer, is that the pipe that runs around to the left of the motor for no apparent reason?

#6 Cam.

Cam.

OEM+

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,906 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 12:38 AM

It feels much faster then a normal NA Subaru, It doesn't throw you into the seat though.

I got into it and expected it to perform the way it looks, It's defiantly not a hair dressers car though. Thank goodness.

Yes that's the pipe running to the left, It goes into the firewall and makes a stupid noise inside the car when you give it the beans.

Asb2OgK.jpg?1

#7 Rosey

Rosey

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 686 posts
  • Interests:When I grow up, I want to be ams

Posted 22 June 2012 - 12:41 AM

So what you're saying is, come to you for Subyclub pricing on 86's? ;)

I definitely like the look of it, apart from the wheels and something on the rear of it. As time goes on, turbo and supercharger kits will be produced for it to fix the lack of power, so I think it'd be great as a (so far) reliable, sporty daily, which could be thrown around on a track on the weekends. Best of all, in the luxury of the 2012/13 interior.

Shaz will quit smoking when Rendawg loses his virginity.

It was nice knowing you shazza.

#8 SAV84C

SAV84C

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,480 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 03:19 AM

So what you're saying is, come to you for Subyclub pricing on 86's? ;)

I definitely like the look of it, apart from the wheels and something on the rear of it. As time goes on, turbo and supercharger kits will be produced for it to fix the lack of power, so I think it'd be great as a (so far) reliable, sporty daily, which could be thrown around on a track on the weekends. Best of all, in the luxury of the 2012/13 interior.

http://www.subyclub....__fromsearch__1

Keep up

#9 bd-850

bd-850

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 07:58 AM

from your review, it seems to be everything i expected.

for a car that was meant to have been sold out there are 14 for sale on Carpoint, looking at those pics,

why did they even bother with a backseat, i dont even think you fit a legless baby in the backPosted Image.

i love the way the engine says Toyota AND Subaru
Posted Image.

and the boot, WTH
Posted Image

#10 simon

simon

Mr POINTY

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,096 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 08:13 AM

cheers for the write up. Im calling the local Toyota & Subaru dealer today to see when these bad boiz are in. Super keen to take em for a spin. :D

SOLD Legacy GTB 

SOLD Gen 1 RS turbo wagon

SOLD Gen2 Outback limited

Car less atm.......Whats next??

#11 Ren-dog

Ren-dog

2 Stroke Boxer Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,876 posts
  • Interests:Race car

Posted 22 June 2012 - 10:14 AM

I checked one of these out last night at the local toyota dealer, (they let me in after hours) the car feels awesome to sit in and everything has its place, the visibility is fairly good from where i was sitting and it was stupidly comfortable.

They were going to let me drive it, but i turned it down, cant afford it until i get another job so i didn't want to drive another mans car.

I would buy one if i could.

E: also on the boot, it has a full sized spare (only a steelie but still full sized) and thats why there is that bulge in the plastic.

NEEDS MOAR PEANUT BUTTER

#12 Xon

Xon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 10:14 AM

Hahaha that boot.

Good writeup. To be fair, the engine is still an NA 2L, what were you expecting?

I would have gone to the kitchen, collected a brown bag, dropped my dacks, pinched off a loaf in said bag, done up dacks, stickytaped bag, placed bag in envelope, and mailed it right to your face for being such a tool.

It's ok, sometimes when we herp, we also derp.

#13 simon

simon

Mr POINTY

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,096 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 11:46 AM

why did they even bother with a backseat, i dont even think you fit a legless baby in the back.

In Japan it costs a fortune for a company to make & introduce a 2 seater "sports car" I guess they get taxed a heap or something, but also to register & run a 2 seater in Japan is mega expensive. So they engineered it with four seats to keep costs down. They did this with the old supra tidy tidy back seats.

SOLD Legacy GTB 

SOLD Gen 1 RS turbo wagon

SOLD Gen2 Outback limited

Car less atm.......Whats next??

#14 Rosey

Rosey

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 686 posts
  • Interests:When I grow up, I want to be ams

Posted 22 June 2012 - 12:50 PM

http://www.subyclub....__fromsearch__1

Keep up

I mean aftermarket kits. ~$5,000 for a Raptor SC, compared to an empty wallet buying a factory supercharged 86. Even though Raptor are more interested in making SC kits for the XV for some reason..

Shaz will quit smoking when Rendawg loses his virginity.

It was nice knowing you shazza.

#15 Ben_20EJT

Ben_20EJT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,397 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 02:15 PM

this person didnt like it.........

http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=460683093943048&set=a.150300804981280.27352.138919019452792&type=1&theater

freeway.jpeg 

#16 Ren-dog

Ren-dog

2 Stroke Boxer Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,876 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 02:20 PM

That was posted in the GT last month.

Japanese people are crazy.

NEEDS MOAR PEANUT BUTTER

#17 Ben_20EJT

Ben_20EJT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,397 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 02:21 PM

That was posted in the GT last month.

Japanese people are crazy.

i have 1550 post on this forum and NEVER ever posted in the GT.

freeway.jpeg 

#18 Ren-dog

Ren-dog

2 Stroke Boxer Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,876 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 02:38 PM

You are missing out.

NEEDS MOAR PEANUT BUTTER

#19 Grant

Grant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 03:00 PM

this person didnt like it.........

http://www.facebook....&type=1

That's Fredric Aasbo's 86 (i think), they're planning on doing the full 2jz conversion/ build it to race spec in 4 weeks or something ridiculous in time for Gatebil.

Here we go:
http://www.speedhunt...86-x-build-pt1/

http://www.speedhunt...86-x-build-pt2/

#20 MrSober88

MrSober88

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 971 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 04:23 PM

They are really growing on me the more I see them. I would like turbo though... So it was good when I heard they have plans for it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users