• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 bd-850

bd-850

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 08:24 PM

sorry if this has been talked about before.

what globes do people recomend as a upgrade?

. AND DONT SAY HIDS. (i will get the JDM HID headlights later on down the track)

so stock is 55w, will i do damage if i put in 100w globes?

#2 Xon

Xon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 08:40 PM

Probably, the headlight wires aren't huge...

I would have gone to the kitchen, collected a brown bag, dropped my dacks, pinched off a loaf in said bag, done up dacks, stickytaped bag, placed bag in envelope, and mailed it right to your face for being such a tool.

It's ok, sometimes when we herp, we also derp.

#3 SAV84C

SAV84C

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,480 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 08:48 PM

Stick to your stock 55w

Take your pick of globes

http://www.narva.com...formance-globes

or

http://www.invisions...philips-globes/

#4 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 08:59 PM

Stick to your stock 55w

Take your pick of globes

http://www.narva.com...formance-globes

or

http://www.invisions...philips-globes/

Troofs

Save your money. HIDS are comparable money if not cheaper than those globes, and yield a better result.

#5 TSG

TSG

Cured

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:14 PM

I cbf with the aftermarket HID's, I would wait till a set of JDM HID lights came up - saw a few sets on eBay the other day actually. Although I find mine with regular bulbs are plenty for the night driving I do. Not sure why people get so exciting about lighting mods. Needs more DRL's and LED's, make your Commodore look like an Audi!

That said, I usually just grab a set of brighter Narva's when the stock ones blow.

#6 bd-850

bd-850

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:26 PM

tsg - ive had a run-in with that seller. and reported him to ebay a few times. he is making money off postage. i asked about the Legacy tail lights and HID headlights, $200 for both headlights and tail light set. plus $650 postage a great saving of $50 if i order them together. plus if items are damaged you have to claim it with the post office NOT him.

How come he sells the lights for $100 and everyone else is $200+

But yes, cant stand DRLs, pain in the arse on cars that are meant to have them, let alone the morons who retro fit them.

i do alot of country night driving, so i just need them to be abit brighter. and will eventually look at getting some small spotties

#7 TSG

TSG

Cured

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:39 PM

Ah right, I actually removed the link after I spotted the insane US shipping. There seems to be a couple there that are genuine, but at the price you would expect :P

#8 Xon

Xon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:42 PM

Drive a stock gen2 and you'll understand. Might as well hold a candle out the window.

Also, there is no such thing as JDM HIDs for a gen2, so that's not really an option.

I would have gone to the kitchen, collected a brown bag, dropped my dacks, pinched off a loaf in said bag, done up dacks, stickytaped bag, placed bag in envelope, and mailed it right to your face for being such a tool.

#9 Josh.

Josh.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:54 PM

If you are after brightness then you really can't go past HIDs, they are about the same price as replacement bulbs and if adjusted properly don't blind others on the road while producing heaps more light.

I have also used Narva Plus 120 and Plus 100 globes, both produce a bit more light then stock globs. Just stay away from Ultra Blue and Platinum, they make it near impossible to see in the rain.

#10 WALKER

WALKER

SAM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:43 PM

I bought a set of phillips crystal visions.

Not happy, It's an ok light temp but it's not bright enough at night.

Wish i could get my money back :(

Posted Image

#11 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:48 PM

Save your money. Just put up with the ten buck globes until you can cough up the cashish for JDM HID headlight assemblies.

The "upgrade HID look" $60+ globes are one of the biggest rorts in modern society.

I should know. I've probably sunk hundreds if not over a thousand dollars into these pieces of shit over the years with blind faith, until I installed HIDS into my JDM projectors.

Never.
Looked.
Back.

I replaced one ballast under warranty as it started to flicker. One. In over ten years.

Where as those spastic Narva globes had a maximum lifespan of about twelve months.

#12 Xon

Xon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:43 AM

Posted Image

#13 Adam

Adam

Snack down!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,970 posts
  • Interests:Not knowing things about stuff

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:49 AM

Save your money. Just put up with the ten buck globes until you can cough up the cashish for JDM HID headlight assemblies.

The "upgrade HID look" $60+ globes are one of the biggest rorts in modern society.

I should know. I've probably sunk hundreds if not over a thousand dollars into these pieces of shit over the years with blind faith, until I installed HIDS into my JDM projectors.

Never.
Looked.
Back.

I replaced one ballast under warranty as it started to flicker. One. In over ten years.

Where as those spastic Narva globes had a maximum lifespan of about twelve months.

THIS.

I was going to write something similar.

Spend ~$100 on top shelf haloen globes. There's still no guarantee that it will last any longer than a $10 globe. Especially on bumpy country roads! I've had globes last 3 months!

Save your cash, and just do it right!

I do ALL my driving on dark country roads. And I dread the day I have to go back to not having AIDS!

Posted Image

Pictures normally tell 100 words. This tells none??? :P

Posted Image

#14 Xon

Xon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:57 AM

An FX-R bi-xenon HID projector (as in designed specifically to throw out HID beams), next to a morimoto 5five (55w) HID balast, with a H4 -> D2S loom in the foreground.

#15 Adam

Adam

Snack down!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,970 posts
  • Interests:Not knowing things about stuff

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:59 AM

This would be used to retrofit into a non projector housing? Correct?

Posted Image

#16 Xon

Xon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:07 AM

Or a projector housing, either way.

#17 vicelore

vicelore

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts
  • Interests:Subbies, Dubs, Boost, Beer , Wine , My Two Awesome Girls

Posted 04 July 2012 - 10:34 AM

How much are the HID`s worth ? and are they illegal ?

#18 bd-850

bd-850

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 10:39 AM

thanks guys, well i just ordered some Phillips X-tream globes, high and low, and some yellow fog light globes

#19 bd-850

bd-850

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 10:52 AM

sorry another question, will LED brake globes throw a error?

#20 FR34KO

FR34KO

GRANDMA's BOY

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,461 posts
  • Interests:SNOWBOARDING.

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:27 AM

How much are the HID`s worth ? and are they illegal ?

varying.. I got mine for 180-220 or something, over a year ago. No problems yet.
In reference to your second question; they CAN be. If fitted from factory, they are not. If fitted afterwards they are. Now I don't know, however, if retrofitting them with a projector lens covers your butt but don't quote me; i think that they'd still be illegal....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users