45 replies to this topic

#41 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 08:24 AM

Sounds like you have an aftermarket central locking system, and one of the actuators have come off.

Take off each door trim, and you should find the failed actuator. Replace.

To echo someone else's sentiments, I'd be removing the aftermarket system out, and trying to get the factory system working again, but I fear it may be a little too ambitious of a project for you.

Usually with the aftermarket ones, the metal rods that come out of the actuators are held by cast metal connectors. These cast metal connectors are usually what fails.

Your car audio installer mate, if he's worth his weight in salt, would have installed numerous amounts of these, and would probably have a metric buttload of these connectors.

#42 Dimeb4g

Dimeb4g

Formerly EOS Heritage

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 727 posts
  • Interests:Photography, My Subaru, My Girl and sport!

Posted 08 July 2012 - 04:36 PM

Should have driven it from stone cold when first you took it for a test drive!

I'd start with the basics. Check your transmission fluid levels. There should be plenty of it and it should be a nice cherry colour.
From there do a drain of the tranny fluid and put some good fluids in there as a replacement. Not sure of the best brand, but maybe do some research and get some today and seeing as though it's booked in, get the workshop to do it tomorrow.

Hopefully it's as simple as that.

Get rid of the aftermarket central locking. The keys should have the lock/unlock buttons built in. OEM locking, plus Brandt, plus aftermarket locking = weird and unpredictable.
I can't think why someone would install aftermarket locking.

The car was 250km away from me, so we met in the middle...it was kinda in my mind...but wasnt practicle to drive all the way to it... just incase i didnt buy it..

but if what tsg says above, i shouldnt have anything to worry about... i was getting Ian ( my Mechanic) to do the box fluids too... he'll know what i should be using...

as far as the central locking goes... from what i understand is the brandt had been disconnected and an aftermarket immobiliser had to be fitted and has its own central locking remote... i have the original key and it has buttons... but i havent tried it...

Alex i'd be fairly safe in saying scotty ( stereo guy) has done a few of these... he's only been at it professionally for 17 years lol...

1st 1990 Nissan Pulsar Q. What a rocket!
2nd: Gen 2 RX... Loved and lost...
3rd: 1995 Toyota Corolla which drove from Cairns to Bunbury in 5 Days! 6610km!!! didnt miss a beat.
4th: Gen1 GX bought for $500 went like stink... looked like what caused the stink
5th: More civilized now... with a Heritage Wagon... now gone...
6th Mitsubishi KJ Verada..."its nothing like a suby" now gone...
7th: 2002 B4 Liberty TT....

8th: MY04 Subaru Liberty GT Premium Pack Wagon

JLG Photographics Swimwear, Portrait, Commercial and Automotive Photography.www.jlgphotographics.com
582620_371706622901614_542168895_n.jpg

#43 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 05:29 PM

Alex i'd be fairly safe in saying scotty ( stereo guy) has done a few of these... he's only been at it professionally for 17 years lol...

I feel sorry for him. I only did it for a couple of months, and got sick of it very quickly!,

#44 Dimeb4g

Dimeb4g

Formerly EOS Heritage

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 11:14 PM

yeah he keeps getting away from it but it keeps calling him... kinda frodoesque.... lol

3rd: 1995 Toyota Corolla which drove from Cairns to Bunbury in 5 Days! 6610km!!! didnt miss a beat.
4th: Gen1 GX bought for $500 went like stink... looked like what caused the stink

JLG Photographics Swimwear, Portrait, Commercial and Automotive Photography.www.jlgphotographics.com

#45 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 11:20 PM

Frodoesque?!

#46 Dimeb4g

Dimeb4g

Formerly EOS Heritage

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 01:25 AM

lord of the rings... frodo... the ring... cant get away

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users