• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 Dimeb4g

Dimeb4g

Formerly EOS Heritage

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 727 posts
  • Interests:Photography, My Subaru, My Girl and sport!

Posted 04 July 2012 - 02:25 AM

Hey guys, been a while....

i parted ways with my 98 gen 3 heritage a lil while ago and got myself a modified 2000 Kj Verada... yeah i know... why? well it was cheap and had no km on for its age... so i gave it a go...

anyhow i am over it quickly... other then the beautifullly smooth v6 it has nothing going for it and even my old 98 wagon was better to drive and had better features...

so anyway i am about to head up to perth Thursday and look at an auto 2002 b4... stock as a rock with some basic repairs done ( Head gaskets, timing belt at 100000km, and thr RH turbo's waste gate done... all service history is said to exist, and receipts for the work done... it has 165k km on the clock.

no tune has been done, so i am keen to listen out for pinging... is there anything other than the sound that would give it away... i have budgeted for a tune in the very near future.

i have read about the vod and single conversion etc etc, but that will just not happen! (sorry alex)

is there anything else i should know about these beauties.. more along the lines of things to look for in something like this of this age...

Cheers guys... looking forward to being back in the family!! lol :P

1st 1990 Nissan Pulsar Q. What a rocket!
2nd: Gen 2 RX... Loved and lost...
3rd: 1995 Toyota Corolla which drove from Cairns to Bunbury in 5 Days! 6610km!!! didnt miss a beat.
4th: Gen1 GX bought for $500 went like stink... looked like what caused the stink
5th: More civilized now... with a Heritage Wagon... now gone...
6th Mitsubishi KJ Verada..."its nothing like a suby" now gone...
7th: 2002 B4 Liberty TT....

8th: MY04 Subaru Liberty GT Premium Pack Wagon

JLG Photographics Swimwear, Portrait, Commercial and Automotive Photography.www.jlgphotographics.com
582620_371706622901614_542168895_n.jpg

#2 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:39 AM

See if you can extend the budget for a Gen IV turbo.

Auto TT is only marginally better than a Magna. And there's nothing beautiful about Magnas.

Nothing.

That is sure sounds like a lot of work done to the car you're looking at. I suspect that car has had a horrendously hard life.

I'd keep looking.

I commend you for coming back to the fold.

Are cars on the East coast out of the search?

#3 Dimeb4g

Dimeb4g

Formerly EOS Heritage

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 10:44 AM

yeah east coast was on the cards. but it bumps up the price with either freight or travel, fuel,accomodation etc etc... the mrs and i were keen to fly over and drive back... but it just adds 3k to the price...

It looks very tidy, leather looks good, paint seems to be immaculate... if the works been done, shouldnt she be ok?? it is at a pretty good price.. ive been watching it for a while..

3rd: 1995 Toyota Corolla which drove from Cairns to Bunbury in 5 Days! 6610km!!! didnt miss a beat.
4th: Gen1 GX bought for $500 went like stink... looked like what caused the stink

JLG Photographics Swimwear, Portrait, Commercial and Automotive Photography.www.jlgphotographics.com

#4 SUBARU

SUBARU

Massive Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:09 AM

Links?

#5 Dimeb4g

Dimeb4g

Formerly EOS Heritage

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:13 AM

http://www.gumtree.c...edan/1003974364

and carsales http://www.carsales....e&cr=1&__N=1246

He has it advertised for 9750 but i have seen this come down from about 11k..

from conversations on the phone and text i was assured there was history and receipts for work done...

hoping i can haggle a little bit ( well i will haggle... hoping he will be receptive....)

#6 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts
  • Interests:Taking a poo

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:16 AM

Cheap as!

Welcome back :)

IM47Gcv.jpg

#7 Dimeb4g

Dimeb4g

Formerly EOS Heritage

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:23 AM

Thanks Morgan! :)

i am a bit excited!!!! got to get through state of origin tonight... ( go QLD!!! ) and then off to possibly secure my new baby!

#8 vicelore

vicelore

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts
  • Interests:Subbies, Dubs, Boost, Beer , Wine , My Two Awesome Girls

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:23 AM

Looks nice.. Even dont mind the wheels.. Hate the auto tho..

#9 Dimeb4g

Dimeb4g

Formerly EOS Heritage

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:27 AM

when you do as many K's per year as i do, and in the expletive refrained Bunbury traffic... auto is the only way to go... its not so much the quantity of traffic, but more the lack of roads and knowledge of the drivers!!!!

#10 SUBARU

SUBARU

Massive Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:35 AM

Go team white! White and the Black Mica were the best colours for a GenIII.
You're right, it does look pretty tidy and it's a rev D update too, so has the nice 17" five spokes instead of the BBS mesh rims.

If there's service history, it drives well, and the price is right then jump on in mate. There's never a guarantee with a used car, but it sounds as though you're covering the basics in looking for service history and as tisy an example as you can manage within your price range.

As to the pinging, you'll be able to hear it when the engine's under load at lower revs. Pinging wouldn't be my primary worry though as you've budgeted for a tune.

I reckon go for it mate. How many white rev D B4's are out there?

#11 Dimeb4g

Dimeb4g

Formerly EOS Heritage

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:41 AM

not too many from what i can see... not too many in WA anyhow... there is a black rev c i think around the corner from me... it looks nice..but those BBS date it and take away its mean factor...

another question... how good and how adaptable is the soundsystem??? more so how good are the speakers?? can i amp them with my own amp?? i am a non closet audiofile... so i have some serious quality gear...i wouldnt mind to aument the mcintosh with....

#12 SUBARU

SUBARU

Massive Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:50 AM

not too many from what i can see... not too many in WA anyhow... there is a black rev c i think around the corner from me... it looks nice..but those BBS date it and take away its mean factor...

another question... how good and how adaptable is the soundsystem??? more so how good are the speakers?? can i amp them with my own amp?? i am a non closet audiofile... so i have some serious quality gear...i wouldnt mind to aument the mcintosh with....

The McIntosh is a little tricky to play with and not very adaptable at all. It's not a bad system for a stock unit of its generation, with an amp and small sub. However, from one audiophile to another, just rip it out and start again. It's not that an amazing system that you'd want to keep it running and the pains of trying to get the stock speakers running through an new HU and vice versa aren't worth the effort. the only reason to keep it in place would be if you wanted the car completely OEM.

I'd be keeping all the OEM wiring in place, just in case you want to return it to stock someday and running new speaker wire, sub remotes e.t.c.

#13 vicelore

vicelore

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts
  • Interests:Subbies, Dubs, Boost, Beer , Wine , My Two Awesome Girls

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:56 AM

Looks the goods mate.. Id be chuckin the OEM head unti with the price of aftermarket ones these days.. Be happy you have nice standard dims over the new molded in POS ones in new cars..

#14 SUBARU

SUBARU

Massive Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:15 PM

Looks the goods mate.. Id be chuckin the OEM head unti with the price of aftermarket ones these days.. Be happy you have nice standard dims over the new molded in POS ones in new cars..

Yep, standard Double DIN HU will fit in there, or alternatively, a single DIN will fit in and a spacer can be bought just about anywhere to fill the void. I did both of these things with my old GenIII.
As for the newer models with the stereo incorporated into the dash... This is a little off topic, but anyway. you're right, it's not easy as a straight swap these days, but there are options. I've got a double din installed in my GenIV. It was just a matter of purchasing the require part from Japan (which is an OEM part over there mind you) that gives you a new CC system and the fascia for a double DIN system. Too easy.

The part from Japan:
Posted Image

Installed in the car:

Posted Image

Back on topic, what it looked like in the GenIII:
Posted Image

#15 Dimeb4g

Dimeb4g

Formerly EOS Heritage

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:36 PM

yeah the double dins look awesome in there...

i have an alpine 9887 which i just wont part with!! its to good for sound for my mind... and seeing i was forced into an iphone buy the telstra shop, i like the connectivity and whatnot with apple...

ive got some focal 165e's that are a bit old, a jvc 75w x 4 amp ( which beggars belief with ooomph and THD levels..) and an alpine zr 12" sub that i picked up from a cash converters ripoff for $50!!! haha and i have an old box made of marine ply that was made by the head of Alpine in WA... it amazes me every day that setup! so i think that will be going in soon...

good thing i got a mate that fits stereos for a living!!!

also i just got a call from the guy with the car saying that the drivers side window stopped working ( up luckily) when his mrs drove it to work today... switch?? or more sinisiter?? is it DIYable or is it a bit more involved?? how much do you think that drops the price???

#16 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts
  • Interests:Taking a poo

Posted 04 July 2012 - 01:10 PM

The motor has probably shagged itself. It's fixable but very fiddly to get the glass and and back in again with all the right brackets in place. Definitely haggle-worthy!

IM47Gcv.jpg

#17 aekOne

aekOne

Boss Pelican

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,349 posts
  • Interests:Regulating

Posted 04 July 2012 - 01:23 PM

Welcome home mate :)

: My Liberty :

signature_1_35.jpg

#18 Dimeb4g

Dimeb4g

Formerly EOS Heritage

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 01:33 PM

thanks guys! i'm anxious about tomorrrow morning!!!!

#19 SUBARU

SUBARU

Massive Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 02:22 PM

Non-functioning window is a roadworthy condition failure. So if he's selling it to you in a roadworthy state, then he'll have to get it fixed. Otherwise, haggle the price down to cover the cost of a new motor, labor and a RWC check e.t.c.

#20 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 04:10 PM

Sounds like the window regulator and/or motor has died in the ass.

Could also be a faulty switch.

Just replaced a window reg that failed on Frank's car recently. Not a job for the faint of heart, or the inexperienced. Definitely doable at home, but not a very fun job at all.

Haggle that at least $500 - $1000.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users