#21 aekOne

aekOne

Boss Pelican

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,349 posts
  • Interests:Regulating

Posted 04 July 2012 - 04:15 PM

Not a job for the faint of heart, or the inexperienced. Definitely doable at home, but not a very fun job at all.

Haggle that at least $500 - $1000.

and Subaru will be asking you for $1197 for the privilege of replacing it for you!!

: My Liberty :

signature_1_35.jpg

#22 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts
  • Interests:Taking a poo

Posted 04 July 2012 - 04:19 PM

and Subaru will be asking you for $1197 for the privilege of replacing it for you!!

:o!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My mate bought his XT with a busted drivers window.

Bought a replacement motor from Dan (Motoboy?) for $50. Put it in (hehe) one afternoon after work and she was good to go.

As Alex said, it's a fiddly job but clearly worth DIY'ing!!!!!

IM47Gcv.jpg

#23 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 04:22 PM

Upside is that you'll learn new swear words.

Downside is that you'll loose some skin off of your knuckles.

Upside is that chicks dig scars.

Downside is that vaginal secretions are very acidic, and cause said knuckles to sting somewhat.

#24 TSG

TSG

Cured

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 05:11 PM

Good price, I say do it. I guess you know what to look out for already. Only thing I don't like about my auto B4 is first gear. But have learned how to overcome it. More right foot :) power button makes it way smoother too.

Small error in the Ad's, those are 17" wheels, not 16", mine had those.

As Alex said, strange that it has had so much work done so early, but if it was done properly... this could be a good thing. Mine hasn't pinged stock and had its timing belt done before I bought it, but listen for big end noise, pinging and check it makes boost. Cram your right foot into the floor at some point on the test drive until you feel the secondary kick. May not be the fastest turbot Subaru ever but I love mine.

#25 Dimeb4g

Dimeb4g

Formerly EOS Heritage

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 727 posts
  • Interests:Photography, My Subaru, My Girl and sport!

Posted 04 July 2012 - 06:07 PM

Alex i got a mate who fits stereos for a living, so we'll be on to that as soon as we both can get 5 mins.... one good thing about the window means no drive through! which will be good for my ever expanding wasteline haha!

i'm hoping its the switch... could be bent rails even too.. who knows how these things happen...
guess we'll just have to see about the work done... i'm hoping it has its issues sorted... which is human nature i guess...

i noticed too that it said 16's... never mind... he knows i will be putting it under the microscope... so i hope that makes him realise he will have to drop his price..
however that RWC thing is good to know and good for leverage.

1st 1990 Nissan Pulsar Q. What a rocket!
2nd: Gen 2 RX... Loved and lost...
3rd: 1995 Toyota Corolla which drove from Cairns to Bunbury in 5 Days! 6610km!!! didnt miss a beat.
4th: Gen1 GX bought for $500 went like stink... looked like what caused the stink
5th: More civilized now... with a Heritage Wagon... now gone...
6th Mitsubishi KJ Verada..."its nothing like a suby" now gone...
7th: 2002 B4 Liberty TT....

8th: MY04 Subaru Liberty GT Premium Pack Wagon

JLG Photographics Swimwear, Portrait, Commercial and Automotive Photography.www.jlgphotographics.com
582620_371706622901614_542168895_n.jpg

#26 SAV84C

SAV84C

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,480 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:38 PM

Check if his mrs accidently press the window lock button before thinking anything is busted...

#27 Dimeb4g

Dimeb4g

Formerly EOS Heritage

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 01:43 AM

Novel alert!!

so i picked her up today... pretty good score i think... picked her to pieces and got her for well under what was advertised which is a bargain...

all seems ok mechanically... but been a bit long between last service... about 13000km :( but is booked in for monday) took her to my mechanic today and he gave her the innitial thumbs up...
as for the window issue. its just jumped off the tracks... you can tell cause its got scratched tint and it goes down a bit and then goes up funny... but it can be persuaded to sit where it needs to... and my mechanic and i will have a go at it, he reckons half an hour labour and i bring the beer and we'll be sorted! question for shaz... how much for tint?? retail ofcourse....

the dreaded vod in my opinion seems to be almost negligable...which prompts me to wonder how can i tell other than dyno assessing if it has a tune or not??

following that i want to know anyones experience with noisy fuel pumps?? this one whines like a NSW origin supporter, or Paul Gallen... still havent figured which is worse yet!! ( sorry all you NSW folk out there) is it on its way out???

also... the boot release wont go... so its key only for the boot for now.. is that expensive? or is it DIYable??

and one last thing.. it has had the brant alarm disconnected, which is a good thing... but it wont lock... is that because its thinking that one door is still open?? it locks then instantly unlocks... any advice???

i know after reading this it sounds like a lemon of sorts... but the leather is good.. the rims have minimal rash and the body is clean and straight... seems to be mechanically sound... and at only $8250 i'm happy to negotiate some quivels...

pics to come!!

3rd: 1995 Toyota Corolla which drove from Cairns to Bunbury in 5 Days! 6610km!!! didnt miss a beat.
4th: Gen1 GX bought for $500 went like stink... looked like what caused the stink

JLG Photographics Swimwear, Portrait, Commercial and Automotive Photography.www.jlgphotographics.com

#28 TSG

TSG

Cured

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 02:11 AM

Bargain for that price, not the first I have seen go that cheap but usually they aren't too healthy for that money. Most of it just sounds like minor gremlins from an owner that didn't know wtf they were doing, it can be saved! Fuel pump may be a noisier aftermarket replacement, if its a constant whine anyway. Mine hasn't got much VOD either. Considering it has had some decent work done to it in the past it may well have had a tune, I often wonder the same about mine. It is only really a minor issue in this revision when you shift into changeover zone, which you rarely do in the auto anyway.

Both my front windows have the ol' line on the tint now, but has happened since I bought it. Will get it redone when it looks balls.

#29 BigWillieStyles

BigWillieStyles

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 03:09 AM

the dreaded vod in my opinion seems to be almost negligable...which prompts me to wonder how can i tell other than dyno assessing if it has a tune or not??

i know after reading this it sounds like a lemon of sorts... but the leather is good.. the rims have minimal rash and the body is clean and straight... seems to be mechanically sound... and at only $8250 i'm happy to negotiate some quivels...

The VOD is negligible in these cars, but thats what all the fuss is about. With my exhaust, apart from a surge in power, I dont really notice it anymore. Best value turbo cars in the market IMO.

Did it have a road worthy?

Love these in white.

#30 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 07:47 AM

Congratulations on the purchase.

May I suggest that whenever you have work done on the car by your mechanic/stereo fitting mates, that you not only shower him with beer and high fives, but you get your hands dirty along with him: it would be to your advantage to learn more about your car.

Don't be afraid of it. Everything you could ever imagine has been done before.

Things are going to break - that's inevitable. So if you maintain a positive attitude, and aren't afraid of a DIY here and there, you'll find that your B4 will be a much more rewarding car.

Enjoy.

p.s: convert to single.

#31 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts
  • Interests:Taking a poo

Posted 06 July 2012 - 08:07 AM

Congrats mate! Sounds like a great starting point for you and at that price, cant go wrong!

IM47Gcv.jpg

#32 Scuba-Roo

Scuba-Roo

The local

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,960 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 09:14 AM

Is it possible that you have an aftermarket high flow fuel pump? Some of them get pretty loud! As for the boot lift it up and check the latch, theirs a position you can move a little lever which prevents the boot being opened up normally. I acidently did it to myself when i'd had my car for a few days and shat bricks!

It sounds like one door isnt locking properly. My dads falcon did the same and his rear acutator was stuffed.

Subyclub, The place where random internet weirdos become good mates

#33 Dimeb4g

Dimeb4g

Formerly EOS Heritage

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 10:31 AM

Thanks guys...

Alex, I get in and help every time, except for when the mechanic is doing stuff during his hours of business... After hours I am there! Same with the stereo fitter...
The fuel pump sounds like a good thing... Even if it is really bloody loud IMO.

Yes it do have a rwc, it's registered until December...

Pics will be up soon... She's hiding under a car cover till I get the lock issue sorted...

Thanks again guys and it's good to be back!!

#34 SUBARU

SUBARU

Massive Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 11:54 AM

Novel alert!!

so i picked her up today... pretty good score i think... picked her to pieces and got her for well under what was advertised which is a bargain...
Congrats!

all seems ok mechanically... but been a bit long between last service... about 13000km :( but is booked in for monday) took her to my mechanic today and he gave her the innitial thumbs up...
as for the window issue. its just jumped off the tracks... you can tell cause its got scratched tint and it goes down a bit and then goes up funny... but it can be persuaded to sit where it needs to... and my mechanic and i will have a go at it, he reckons half an hour labour and i bring the beer and we'll be sorted! question for shaz... how much for tint?? retail ofcourse....
13000k's isn't too far off the scheduled servicing intervals, so I wouldn't worry about that too much. Good news about the window, at least you know the motor isn't cactus and is likely just a tracking issue. Check the service records to make sure that the timing belts have been done and if not, get it done ASAP.

Might have had a tune already? See the fuel pump noise section below for my reasoning...

following that i want to know anyones experience with noisy fuel pumps?? this one whines like a NSW origin supporter, or Paul Gallen... still havent figured which is worse yet!! ( sorry all you NSW folk out there) is it on its way out???
I echo the sentiments of the other lads, you've likely got an aftermarket high flow pump.. So, a high flow pump might mean that it has been modded and tuned at some stage in its life and returned as close to stock as possible for sale. Not a big deal, but have the pump checked to make sure it's not on its way out.

also... the boot release wont go... so its key only for the boot for now.. is that expensive? or is it DIYable??
Yep, check the switch on the boot latch isn't flicked over to disable the boot release.

and one last thing.. it has had the brant alarm disconnected, which is a good thing... but it wont lock... is that because its thinking that one door is still open?? it locks then instantly unlocks... any advice???
As far as I know, the Brandt being disabled shouldn't cause this. Check that there's not something holding the lock in place, making the computer think that the doors are still open.

Nah mate, it's not a lemon at all. It's a 10 year old car, in pretty good condition with only a few gremlins. It sounds like you've got a good base to start with.

pics to come!!

#35 aekOne

aekOne

Boss Pelican

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,349 posts
  • Interests:Regulating

Posted 06 July 2012 - 12:52 PM

welcome to the world of Walbro pump ownership. Jocks sounded like a low flying plane over head the other night

: My Liberty :

signature_1_35.jpg

#36 vicelore

vicelore

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts
  • Interests:Subbies, Dubs, Boost, Beer , Wine , My Two Awesome Girls

Posted 06 July 2012 - 12:53 PM

I actually like the sound of a fuel pump.. Sounds tuff..

#37 Dimeb4g

Dimeb4g

Formerly EOS Heritage

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 11:19 PM

well i took her for a drive today, first time from a cold start... was a bit strange it seemed hesitant from reverse into 1st... then when we were exiting on to the highway, 3rd to 4th revved all the way to 7k :mad: and after i backed off it was fine...

then didnt repeat it again... is there a safety mode or some sort of safeguard that saves your gearbox when its cold??

on a lighter note, the boot was the switch... so happy days...

i can lock the car the old fashion way, with the latch inside, and with the key, but the remote ( which is aftermarket) locks then unlocks... when you lock it from inside, it locks and unlocks all doors as the remote would normally...
help please guys!!

#38 Dimeb4g

Dimeb4g

Formerly EOS Heritage

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 11:23 PM

by the way i changed my name as the Heritage is gone and the B4 is here!! sorry if you got confused haha

#39 TSG

TSG

Cured

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 11:54 PM

How hard did you punch it onto the freeway :P it revs up pretty quick if you dab the throttle down fast, it is by design and because turbo. But general freeway acceleration mine wont go that high... reverse takes a sec..

Have no idea about the remote lock thing, sounds like a weird gremlin. Why would it have aftermarket remote locking? I thought all B4's had it on the key, the key on that year should be like mine with a grey and black button, also its a transponder that you need to start the car... unless you just have an aftermarket replacement key that does the same job, and a remote...

#40 SUBARU

SUBARU

Massive Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 07:54 AM

Should have driven it from stone cold when first you took it for a test drive!

I'd start with the basics. Check your transmission fluid levels. There should be plenty of it and it should be a nice cherry colour.
From there do a drain of the tranny fluid and put some good fluids in there as a replacement. Not sure of the best brand, but maybe do some research and get some today and seeing as though it's booked in, get the workshop to do it tomorrow.

Hopefully it's as simple as that.

Get rid of the aftermarket central locking. The keys should have the lock/unlock buttons built in. OEM locking, plus Brandt, plus aftermarket locking = weird and unpredictable.
I can't think why someone would install aftermarket locking.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users