←  Builds and Projects

Suby Club

»

2000 Gen 3 RX

Barbbachello's Photo Barbbachello 10 Nov 2013

Whats been happening with your car mate? Any plans any updates? :)

+1 havent seen anything new in yonks

ScoobyOutback's Photo ScoobyOutback 10 Nov 2013

He's putting a V/tec in it

U-Shell's Photo U-Shell 17 Nov 2013

+1 havent seen anything new in yonks

He's putting a V/tec in it

Haha it's been a long time since any updates!

ATM I'm thinking of selling her and buying an EG Civic that will get a B16B swap into it. Intake, exhaust, spoon ECU and a couple other goodies should see it pretty beat most turbo Subaru's around and even some earlier SS commodores. The main reason is that it will be a lot cheaper to run than my car. I have a work Van for work now so my car only ever gets driven on the weekend for about 2 hours. Hopefully plan to get out and do some track days in the Civic as well.

So now I am just selling the couple things I have bought for her over the last 2 - 2 1/2 years. I think Absolution is buying my Charcoal center console trim. Have a genuine RFRB grill to suit Rev A-C and a set of GTB brakes I bought of Simon that may have already been snapped up. Also have some Gen 1 UEL Headers and extended centre pipe to suit gen 3 (Although it is a slip join so can be made to fit other things.) I'll keep the BBS wheels and the rear muffler.

Been very slack on the Wed/Thurs night meets but hopefully I remember this week and will come down to say hello :)

Beckers's Photo Beckers 17 Nov 2013

Haha it's been a long time since any updates!

ATM I'm thinking of selling her and buying an EG Civic that will get a B16B swap into it. Intake, exhaust, spoon ECU and a couple other goodies should see it pretty beat most turbo Subaru's around and even some earlier SS commodores. The main reason is that it will be a lot cheaper to run than my car. I have a work Van for work now so my car only ever gets driven on the weekend for about 2 hours. Hopefully plan to get out and do some track days in the Civic as well.

So now I am just selling the couple things I have bought for her over the last 2 - 2 1/2 years. I think Absolution is buying my Charcoal center console trim. Have a genuine RFRB grill to suit Rev A-C and a set of GTB brakes I bought of Simon that may have already been snapped up. Also have some Gen 1 UEL Headers and extended centre pipe to suit gen 3 (Although it is a slip join so can be made to fit other things.) I'll keep the BBS wheels and the rear muffler.

Been very slack on the Wed/Thurs night meets but hopefully I remember this week and will come down to say hello :)

FWD don't do it.

It will be fast in the dry, but in the wet = no traction.

I've had hi po fwd cars, big under steer in the wet.

Plus with mods it wont be much cheaper to run.

If it's just a week end car now, who care about fuel anyway ???

If you do sell it,

Anti lift kit how much ???? 

Barbbachello's Photo Barbbachello 17 Nov 2013

Cant say I blame you for wanting a honda. I've had a Honda complex for the last few months and I've got no idea why lol

U-Shell's Photo U-Shell 01 Jan 2014

Cant say I blame you for wanting a honda. I've had a Honda complex for the last few months and I've got no idea why lol

They are fantastic cars. One of the few N/A cars that are actually worth spending money on performance mods lol

Car Update:

So over the past month or so I've been extremely keen on selling of my pride and joy and buying some other form of automobile. It started off with an idea of B18 VTEC swap into a EG civic to which I found out needed to be engineered and P platers can't drive engineered cars in VIC -_-. The idea of a 140kw+, 1.8Lt engine in a 800-9000Kg chassis was exciting but obviously short lived. Then, after driving some mates AE86's, S15's and bunch of other low/high power RWD cars came the obsession for RWD. For the few people that have met or heard me talk about my father, they will know how controlling he likes to be over me... So after going through an absolute war with him after putting my car on Carsales, he finally calmed down and seemed to be okay with me ofloading the Liberty, or so i thought... Basically over the next month or so, looking at just about every lightish, Airbags, ABS, Power steering equipt, P plate legal, RWD car I could think of, dad had given the no go to all of them. Kent. So now, after selling off some of the things I had bought for the car, thinking I was selling it. I find myself back here, reading through build threads and just generally trolling the forum.. I had a couple people come inspect the car whilst it was on carsales, but despite the excellent condition of the car, they couldn't give me a price I was happy with. Going through all the receipts for the car (yes, I have kept EVERY single receipt I have ever spent of the car) and speaking more with my dad and getting to drive the car now that I'm on holidays, I was re convinced to keep the car. I have invested to much time an especially money that I would never get back once sold. When you are earning $340/ week, losing 2K+ is a big deal lol. I also just installed JL C2-600 Splits that were $309 down to $198 at JB (http://intl.jlaudio....r-systems-99615) and thermal/ sound proofed front doors:

http://www.flichttp:...ley/11682390583

I don't plan on making any big changes for the rest of the cars life (I Hope). The front and rear bars will be getting re sprayed sometime soon, paintless dent removal all round and any paint chips filled, beginning a complete clean/detail of interior and exterior, front slimeline spats will be re painted and put on (trying to track down slimeline rears), spoiler holes in the boot welded and painted, E46 M3 rear boot spoliler painted and re installed, HID's back in and correctly aimed (5000k so they aint blinding to everyone), going to play around with some Warm White LED puddle lights, paint interior woodgrain gloss or matte black, complete Whiteline catalogue, Group N engine/transmission mounts (I have a :fork: load of backlash), just ordered the updated shifter linkage for pre 06 5MT's and Front/ Rear shifter bushings from Entra (after feeling how orgasmic Cruisins 5MT shifter felt in his Gen 2, I knew I had to fix mine), Major service, lowered front to match rear height, rebuild power steering pump (replaced all hose clamps with worm drive and tightened steering rack flange nuts, still getting air into system somewhere), possibley try spacing out the B4 BBS's to make it look a little 'phatter' (not sure how this works, will be researching), replacing Bilstiens with Koni Adjustable Strut/Springs and putting a nice quiet exhaust on because my current Corozon S304 has rusted inside and all the glasspack has blown out lol. The car will be driven until I can afford a Tarbo (no Subaru). I have also been trolling around various forums looking at RWD conversion for N/A Subaru's lol. This will only happen if I can somehow get insurance on it or the centre diff packs in again.

zahmad's Photo zahmad 01 Jan 2014

Trust me, my first car was/is a RWD Nissan... I still own that car simply for the reason of rarity in its condition and that I've got that money spent attachment to it knowing I won't get back much if I sold it now.

But for a daily, the Lib wins hands down. Air con that works, cruise control, airbags, leather seats, headlights that actually light up the roads, perfect balance of ride comfort and handling etc etc....

Keep the Lib, upgrade to another Lib. Don't bother with RWD conversion and all this drift craze. Soon you will grow up and want a more comfortable car, get a good paying job and have money to spend on a GT tuned by STI...

Don't waste your money on this RWD turbo antics that many like myself did....

Guest_KONG_* 02 Jan 2014

Sounds like you have made some very sensible decisions mate.

The right decisions imo.  You never really get back the money you spend, so enjoy it for what it is and what you have done to it..

Good luck with it all. ;)

Beckers's Photo Beckers 05 Jan 2014

Welcome back C-Man.

U-Shell's Photo U-Shell 07 Jan 2014

Trust me, my first car was/is a RWD Nissan... I still own that car simply for the reason of rarity in its condition and that I've got that money spent attachment to it knowing I won't get back much if I sold it now.

But for a daily, the Lib wins hands down. Air con that works, cruise control, airbags, leather seats, headlights that actually light up the roads, perfect balance of ride comfort and handling etc etc....

Keep the Lib, upgrade to another Lib. Don't bother with RWD conversion and all this drift craze. Soon you will grow up and want a more comfortable car, get a good paying job and have money to spend on a GT tuned by STI...

Don't waste your money on this RWD turbo antics that many like myself did....

Luckily I have access to my work van for a daily but after looking at multiple 'older' cars, I can appreciate exactly what your saying haha

Sounds like you have made some very sensible decisions mate.

The right decisions imo.  You never really get back the money you spend, so enjoy it for what it is and what you have done to it..

Good luck with it all. ;)

Yes I have only just realised how much money i have spent/ wasted that will not be returned in the resale haha. Not to mention by the time someone buys it, I will have probably done the major service which ATM looks like a full engine out job and the oil leaks are just starting to appear on the heads etc. BUT... 190,000K's and haven't done a head gasket lol

Welcome back C-Man.

I knew that I would come back lol. One day I shall rid myself of the Subaru addiction!

Installed these this arvo.. http://www.entra.com...-combo-for-5mt/

I think it has topped the list of worst/ most frustrating things I have ever done to my car.. The big rear bush is an absolute c*** to get on.. Heat gun persuasion was needed.

Next is updated linkage for the 5MT. http://www.entra.com...linkage-update/

There is two roll pins that hold the linkage to the gear selector on the gearbox that need to be punched apart. Going to be another :fork:ed job me thinks. Anywhere here attempted this and have some helpful hints?

Hypnotic's Photo Hypnotic 07 Jan 2014

Now that you have done the shifter bushing combo, do you want to help me install mine aswell?

Have you felt any difference since installing them?

Tim.'s Photo Tim. 07 Jan 2014

Shifter bushings and updated linkage knuckle were the best upgrades to shifter feel! For the $140 it cost to get them installed, it was not a job I was even going to contemplate doing myself.

Beckers's Photo Beckers 07 Jan 2014

Nice upgrade C-man.

You better give Ash a few pointers.

U-Shell's Photo U-Shell 08 Jan 2014

Now that you have done the shifter bushing combo, do you want to help me install mine aswell?

Have you felt any difference since installing them?

The car is still up on stand, but just shifting with the clutch in and engine off, there is a fairly decent improvent, feels alot 'notchier' and is a little easier to select gears. You can definately tell when it slips into gear now :)

Im abou to attempt the shifter linkage swap. Going to use a standard punch to try and get out the roll pin. Watched a couple videos on youtube. If I fork it, drill it out and put a new one in haha. I really think its time us Victorians had a mech and tech day. I will be more than happy to install them for a few people :)

Shifter bushings and updated linkage knuckle were the best upgrades to shifter feel! For the $140 it cost to get them installed, it was not a job I was even going to contemplate doing myself.

$140 is a pretty good deal. Now that I've done it once, I would happily do it again, Although I did burn my arm on the heat gun when I warming up the rear bush :/

Nice upgrade C-man.

You better give Ash a few pointers.

Cheers, like I said above. VIC Mech and Tech day FTW :D

Old bush vs. New:

11829094603_711cb12192.jpg
11829611106_c051882008_b.jpg

11829233714_7c0e60c5c0_b.jpg

11829081513_0f825ff046_b.jpg

Just bought some black ceramic/ header paint. Heatshields are rattling on the OEM header and its all rusty and shite looking. Going to attempt to cure them in my oven lol

11829099143_30cff5bfbe_c.jpg

Tim.'s Photo Tim. 08 Jan 2014

Was there enough room to do the install without dropping the driveshaft? If so, it wouldn't have been too painful a job to diy.

How do you find the noise from the harder bushes? Turn the stereo up is the easy solution I find :)

Robert's Photo Robert 08 Jan 2014

Pfft the bushes aren't hard....

When the gearbox is out.

Robert's Photo Robert 08 Jan 2014

I just bought the updated linkage from subaru and I'm waiting for my kartboy bushes.

97 bucks from subaru on trade.

AB501UT!0N's Photo AB501UT!0N 09 Jan 2014

Wowzer the old ones sure looked wrecked and I'm glad to hear you are keeping the suby and I hope you can fix the header problem or get an exhaust place to fix it up  :)

and BTW if you want my b4's body kit it is free for you :)

U-Shell's Photo U-Shell 18 Jan 2014

Was there enough room to do the install without dropping the driveshaft? If so, it wouldn't have been too painful a job to diy.

How do you find the noise from the harder bushes? Turn the stereo up is the easy solution I find :)

Yeah there is enough room in there to do the front/rear bushes, although it would be A LOT easier if you could remove the drive shaft from the back of the box. Probably wouldn't save you anytime after you has removed and reinstalled it.

I have only just noticed what sounds like either knackered bearing or broken centre diff noise lately. Noise is related to speed so I'm guessing the rear bearing in the g/box or centre diff. Has a very loud whining sound. Couldn't hear it before the bushes though. I would say NVH is very minimal. I still turn the stereo up of course :P

Pfft the bushes aren't hard....

When the gearbox is out.

I just bought the updated linkage from subaru and I'm waiting for my kartboy bushes.

97 bucks from subaru on trade.

If gearbox was out. 45 to an hour to all of them. Would be amazing haha. $97 is sweet! I think it cost me about $180 to get linkage, fron/ rear bushes and postage.

Wowzer the old ones sure looked wrecked and I'm glad to hear you are keeping the suby and I hope you can fix the header problem or get an exhaust place to fix it up   :)

and BTW if you want my b4's body kit it is free for you :)

Headers came out good. All nice and black. Ordered some black exhaust wrap as well to see if it makes any difference. *hides from forum trolls*

Too bad your Rev D!! :( Thanks for the offer though mate :)

So today I attempted the linkage update install. Soo much easier than I though. Roll pins were very easy to remove and re install. Shifter feel has improved heaps! Just need to the top bushes where the l;linkage meets the gearstick in the cabin.

New linkage and front bushes:

12005162476_87525d5c88_c.jpg

Old Vs New:

12004650363_e3d84ec1a6_c.jpg

12005169616_3247691106_c.jpg

Rear Bushing:

12005172676_ff14da37a5_c.jpg

Now I need some of the Suby Guru's on here to help me out. I have a stoopid amount of backlash in my car. It extremely frustrating and makes the car hard to drive smoothly when pushing it. Always send the car into lift off oversteer in corners. Here some videos I took today of possible culprits. Please let me know what you think as I have my major service coming up soon and would like to get everything done at once :)

Apologies for iPhone recording..

Tim.'s Photo Tim. 19 Jan 2014

I have only just noticed what sounds like either knackered bearing or broken centre diff noise lately. Noise is related to speed so I'm guessing the rear bearing in the g/box or centre diff. Has a very loud whining sound. Couldn't hear it before the bushes though. I would say NVH is very minimal. I still turn the stereo up of course :P

No, nothing to worry about. That's just the noise that the combination of all these harder bushes make. The kartboy bush adds most of the noise as it's basically a solid mount. Sounds like water running through a tap. Because race car :)