#241 Beckers

Beckers

OMAR Cubt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
  • Interests:Docking and eating dry meat, Living lyf in the TT VOD

Posted 20 January 2014 - 10:45 AM

Cant say I blame you for wanting a honda. I've had a Honda complex for the last few months and I've got no idea why lol

Must be a GAY thing ???

#242 U-Shell

U-Shell

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Guitar, Music, Audio

Posted 21 January 2014 - 09:50 AM

No, nothing to worry about. That's just the noise that the combination of all these harder bushes make. The kartboy bush adds most of the noise as it's basically a solid mount. Sounds like water running through a tap. Because race car :)

Ah sweet. That's what I figured. Kinda sounds like straight cut first and second now lol. Although I've noticed that most 5 speeds are fairly whiny compared to the 6 speeds.

Some goodies came in the mail yesterday :D

12059654734_b4e667716d_c.jpg

5000k LED's w/ BA15S to T10 converters to run in the Rev A-C headlights and exhaust wrap so I can chop WRX's :P the nice Korean man even gave me some ' Korean Tea'. Think I might pass on that.

Must be a GAY thing ???

You would know lolololol

2000 RX Gen 3 Liberty - Sold

http://www.subyclub....-2000-gen-3-rx/

2004 BMW E46 325i Manual - Current weekend warrior

2003 Gen 3 Outback H6 Manual - Current Daily

http://www.subyclub....uild-pic-heavy/

#243 U-Shell

U-Shell

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 03:29 PM

Sooooo. Ignore filthy car in next few photos, it has not been cleaned in a couple months as punishment for breaking things 24/7...

Wrapped my headers ages ago, just been slack on the updates...

13160230433_41a35e29d0.jpg

Surprisingly, once warm, the mid and high RPM torque felt a lot nicer!

Then a few days later, bored on a Saturday night with a mate. We found a pod filter, some pipe & made this lol

13160243253_88786bde08_b.jpg

13160239933_775fce7992_b.jpg

Having mucked around with various intakes, this is by far the best sounding, with minimal performance & fuel economy reduction. (Pod filter straight onto the throttle body does wonders for fuel economy...)

Got my DC2 Integra lip a while ago, only just got around to putting it on today. Fit is pretty average as the bottom of my front bar has encountered many rocks and gutters etc. Hence why the paint is all chipped (I'm at OEM height to :blush: )

13160115725_f1a836e211_c.jpg

This will hopefully get painted along with the rear bar and front slimeline spats in the next few weeks.

Also picked up the B4 rear muffler from Neni as my old Corozon S304 decided to spill it's insides out...

13160380994_52c5795b28_c.jpg

#244 Harry88

Harry88

Soccer Mom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,507 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 03:45 PM

I quite like that lip.

#245 jack_keaka

jack_keaka

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:I was saying "boo-urns"

Posted 15 March 2014 - 04:05 PM

Yeah I've got a fair bit of lash at the moment. Very annoying in slow moving traffic. I figured it was either tranny bushes or some other bushing. Haven't bothered to work it out.
With that pod filter location do you reckon you'd be getting any cold air flowing into that?

#246 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,458 posts
  • Interests:Docking

Posted 15 March 2014 - 05:34 PM

What exactly is this backlash you keep talking about

tIeW8DE.png

#247 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Stereos, Electrical

Posted 16 March 2014 - 05:44 AM

Try checking the centre bearing assembly on the tail shaft (although unlikely its anything to do with that), and also check the uni joints at each end of the tail shaft, Next step, get the rear diff checked out, could be one of the bearings is starting to fail inside. If all those items are ok, then its likely something to do with inside the gearbox, a failed or failing bearings. You might maintain it religiously, but its still an old car. Things will fail after 14 years, maintanance or not.

I know this really has no bearing on the suby AWD gear, but those items were the cause of some pretty aggresive backlash in my old skyline. But it was RWD, not sure how those issues would translate to an AWD system. The cause in the skyline was bad uni joints, combined with eventually what turned out to be a snapped shaft on one of the spider gears inside the diff. The only thing holding it there (and therefore still giving me drive) was the casing of the diff centre.

The backlash as I read it is under on-off-on throttle, the drivetrain has a large amount of slack to take up. So as you roll off the throttle, it has to roll past the slack before any engine braking can happen. What results is the drivetrain moving out of sync to the engine for a very brief period, and you feel a bump as the car rolling pushes back on the engine once it passes through the slack. Same as when taking off - the engine spins up on the free slack, and you feel a jolt as the slack takes up, and hits the loading of the rest of the drivetrain.

In a good, tight drivetrain, there will be very little slack, so as soon as you put your foot down, the car starts moving immediately. In a bad case, it feels a lot like someone dropped the clutch (although less aggressively) on takeoff, and if its really bad it can feel like nothing is happening for half a second after you put your foot down, then you hear a clunk and a surge, and you are moving.

I'm sorry, this isnt a great explanation, but its the best I can do at 6am.

Cheers,

Ben

MY00 Red RX, a nice daily that was sold off once the B4 became reliable...
MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY03 White/Silver H6 Outback, donor car for silver waghoon.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#248 Beckers

Beckers

OMAR Cubt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 11:08 AM

Any play in the diff ??

Mine has a bit of play and clanks on hard changes, but not for long !!

#249 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,458 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 11:12 AM

Any play in the diff ??

207, 6 speed, R180, 5x114.3?

tIeW8DE.png

#250 Beckers

Beckers

OMAR Cubt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 12:02 PM

No not 207, it's a 208, 5 speed & R160 LSD.

#251 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,458 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 12:11 PM

Its-something.jpg

tIeW8DE.png

#252 U-Shell

U-Shell

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 08:16 PM

I quite like that lip.

It's okay. Looks tacky with average fitment and not colour coded. Will be fixed soon though!

Yeah I've got a fair bit of lash at the moment. Very annoying in slow moving traffic. I figured it was either tranny bushes or some other bushing. Haven't bothered to work it out.
With that pod filter location do you reckon you'd be getting any cold air flowing into that?

It shits me. If dad didn't threaten to kick me out of home if I sold it, it would be gone. It's an excellent car if you want to go from A-B. home to shops etc. As soon as you start driving it hard (Not rough or abusive) they crack the sads, break and cry (In my experience). Cannot wait until I earn enough to justify selling it, loosing all the money I've put into it for preventative and required maintenance plus mods, and buying something reliable, fun and RWD.

Try checking the centre bearing assembly on the tail shaft (although unlikely its anything to do with that), and also check the uni joints at each end of the tail shaft, Next step, get the rear diff checked out, could be one of the bearings is starting to fail inside. If all those items are ok, then its likely something to do with inside the gearbox, a failed or failing bearings. You might maintain it religiously, but its still an old car. Things will fail after 14 years, maintanance or not.

I know this really has no bearing on the suby AWD gear, but those items were the cause of some pretty aggresive backlash in my old skyline. But it was RWD, not sure how those issues would translate to an AWD system. The cause in the skyline was bad uni joints, combined with eventually what turned out to be a snapped shaft on one of the spider gears inside the diff. The only thing holding it there (and therefore still giving me drive) was the casing of the diff centre.

The backlash as I read it is under on-off-on throttle, the drivetrain has a large amount of slack to take up. So as you roll off the throttle, it has to roll past the slack before any engine braking can happen. What results is the drivetrain moving out of sync to the engine for a very brief period, and you feel a bump as the car rolling pushes back on the engine once it passes through the slack. Same as when taking off - the engine spins up on the free slack, and you feel a jolt as the slack takes up, and hits the loading of the rest of the drivetrain.

In a good, tight drivetrain, there will be very little slack, so as soon as you put your foot down, the car starts moving immediately. In a bad case, it feels a lot like someone dropped the clutch (although less aggressively) on takeoff, and if its really bad it can feel like nothing is happening for half a second after you put your foot down, then you hear a clunk and a surge, and you are moving.

I'm sorry, this isnt a great explanation, but its the best I can do at 6am.

Cheers,

Ben

You're like a human Wikipedia, perfect explanation!

The front CV's had a decent amount play. can wiggle them in/out and around in circles at each end (I hope that makes sense) the rears are fine. I have a feeling most of the play is in the gearbox/ diff. I have rear diff and subframe bushes that did nothing but add noise.

Any play in the diff ??

The rear subframe and diff bushes did remove almost all of that thud/ clunk of fast shifts. Not worth the noise IMO though. Maybe in a turbo?

No not 207, it's a 208, 5 speed & R160 LSD.

What are you doing with your old g'box and diff ??? ;)

#253 Beckers

Beckers

OMAR Cubt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 09:48 PM

Dunno yet, remember it's a dual range 5 speed.

I think Mitchell is after a g/box ??

Can talk tomorrow night Honda Boi.

#254 U-Shell

U-Shell

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 11:32 AM

Dunno yet, remember it's a dual range 5 speed.
I think Mitchell is after a g/box ??
Can talk tomorrow night Honda Boi.

Can't I just pull of the dual range lever, locking it in place? Othwise I'll just use low range to chop people at the lights hahah

#255 Beckers

Beckers

OMAR Cubt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 05:33 PM

Guess you can just remove the high / low lever.

G/box not for sale yet, but soon it will be.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users