48 replies to this topic

#41 Soop

Soop

Suck, squeeze, bang, blow.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 05:13 PM

Can anyone here tell me if the late model Subaru use dual spark tables?
Are they able to correlate between a high and low spark map?

In this day and age they should be, and if so a good way to check the effectiveness of the fuel you're using is to watch the spark advance on a scan tool. There are reasonably effective OBDII scan tools made for use with Android and IOS systems these days that should allow you to atleast look at whats going on.
TSM

#42 RX25SE

RX25SE

...............Car nerd................ now a H6 pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts
  • Interests:Cars with chrome bumpers!

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:23 PM

Hi Soop.
Still playing with dodgy Valiants? (I think thats what you had in the shed)

I would suggest they do but would step between rather than switching.

My nugget VS runs dual tables, one for knock and one for no knock.

With regards to the E10..
Whatever floats your boat but I have seen more problems created than solved from it's use.
I will never use it unless I drive a E85 certified car, like a SAAB.

I will never own a SAAB.

If I told you I was a compulsive liar, would you believe me?

#43 Soop

Soop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:26 PM

Hi Soop.
Still playing with dodgy Valiants? (I think thats what you had in the shed)

I would suggest they do but would step between rather than switching.

My nugget VS runs dual tables, one for knock and one for no knock.

With regards to the E10..
Whatever floats your boat but I have seen more problems created than solved from it's use.
I will never use it unless I drive a E85 certified car, like a SAAB.

I will never own a SAAB.

Had to sell the Valiants a couple years ago when I moved interstate. I will PM you what I'm up to these days.

I know with LS1B PCM's an E38's, the PCM uses a combination of knock sensors, and oxygen sensors as well as the known flow rate of material through the injectors to essentially guesitmate the octane rating of the fuel.

In doing so, the PCM is able to correlate between the high and low spark maps in order to derive the best advance value for any given loading.
TSM

#44 Bill

Bill

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 07:05 AM

Looks like I stirred up some debate.

Never use E10 in a boat engine. It eats away fuel lines, diaphragms and causes all other sorts of havoc.
We see at least 1 boat a week come in which has been run on ethanol and it usually costs them big dollars to fix.

I would have thought that E10's absorption of water whould have something to do with it as well.

3 identical Astra 1.8's set up in a benchmark environment (on stands) at Tafe.

Running BP 98, 95 and E10.

Each was given 10 litres at the exact same time, Exact same room. Running the same rpm cycles.

They all used fuel at around the same rate.

I like E10 because I get the exact same results running E10 compared to 98 for less money.

Run your car on E10 without the idea of it being the devils work and post results.

This is really at odds with my experience in the past between something like V-Power and regulear premium. There was a significant difference there to the point that V-Powere is chealper on a $$$ per km basis(well in the line anyhow).
I would suspect that by not having any load on the motor its buggered the results.

#45 Bill

Bill

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 07:11 AM

Thanks for the replies everyone.
After I wrone my first post I remembered that we tried E10 in the Magna years ago, and the economy was maybe 15% worse than regular unleaded.

Anyhow I may try some E10 in the next couple of Dubbo runs and see if it makes sense from a $$$ per Km perspective.

#46 CodeBurn3r

CodeBurn3r

Resident Mexican

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 10:07 AM

Not an E10 story but..
I had to get fuel before the bridge (melbourne)
i put United P100 (i think its 95RON boosted to 100 with Ethanol)? in earlier in the week... got 400kms out of the tank :/
this was highway driving.. maybe 10% urban driving (no city stop start)
she felt more responsive.. maybe it was a tad more power (hard to tell with temperature variations between days)
i thought i would give it a shot as my car is running the standard JDM V3 tune..

2 days ago i put in BP Ultimate.. did pretty much the same drive.. got 599km out of the same amount...

I'm always a BP Ultimate guy... and this confirmed it..
don't care if i got a tiny bit more power... BP is consistent and i have no problem spending a few bucks more for peace of mind...
ams: "Can't live with them, can't throw rocks at them."

#47 Soop

Soop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 10:18 AM

Not an E10 story but..
I had to get fuel before the bridge (melbourne)
i put United P100 (i think its 95RON boosted to 100 with Ethanol)? in earlier in the week... got 400kms out of the tank :/
this was highway driving.. maybe 10% urban driving (no city stop start)
she felt more responsive.. maybe it was a tad more power (hard to tell with temperature variations between days)
i thought i would give it a shot as my car is running the standard JDM V3 tune..

2 days ago i put in BP Ultimate.. did pretty much the same drive.. got 599km out of the same amount...

I'm always a BP Ultimate guy... and this confirmed it..
don't care if i got a tiny bit more power... BP is consistent and i have no problem spending a few bucks more for peace of mind...

As I said before, you will use more of an ethanol based fuel, because Alcohol has less energy per volume. It's also usually cheaper per liter, that is where it is useful provided it is priced appropriately.
TSM

#48 R-Y

R-Y

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 987 posts
  • Interests:Rugby league, surfing, cars, music (Rise Against)

Posted 25 October 2012 - 10:20 AM

As I said before, you will use more of an ethanol based fuel, because Alcohol has less energy per volume. It's also usually cheaper per liter, that is where it is useful provided it is priced appropriately.

Which it never is

#49 Soop

Soop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 10:34 AM

Which it never is

I know, It's silly. That said, the Unite 100ron is the cheapest $/octane fuel around. Though I don't think its a legitimate 100ron to be honest. BP98 works allot better.
TSM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users