Photo

[NSW] Green light for turbocharged P-platers?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 vicelore

vicelore

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts
  • Interests:Subbies, Dubs, Boost, Beer , Wine , My Two Awesome Girls

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:13 AM

Yea stupid.. People will just be winding up the boost and replacing turbos.. Even with my engine on stands fully out the car it was hard to identify the turbo. .. Whos going to check ...

Let the P platers drive telstars and Astras for a few years..

#22 U-Shell

U-Shell

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 819 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Guitar, Music, Audio

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:15 PM

Surely this would be hard to control.

Things like bigger injectors, fuel pumps, exhaust, cams etc and tunes could easily make for some fast cars that police wouldn't be able to identify easily?

They still need to introduce compulsory driver training. I don't understand why they haven't already done it. Lots of other countries have it as compulsory, and their accident rates as far lower then ours.

Couldn't agree more Shaz!

I guess there will eventual be a day where no matter the amount or severity of restriction placed upon young drivers, fatalities will not get any lower. IMO, the main reason young drivers get into trouble is attitude. The attitude of 'I'm invincible', ' That will never happen to me' and the 'I'm above the law'. It's extremely frustrating to hear and see people complaining about been dicked by the police for doing there job. People need to understand that not all police go out of their to defect your vehicle, or fining you for only doing 3k's over the speed limit (yes some do). They are targeting the people who cannot abide by set rules and regulations, that 'I can get away with it' attitude.

By 'buckling' to people wanting the exemption of some turbocharged vehicles, the government is just giving people another reason to do the wrong thing like winding up the boost a little etc. On my 25 minute journey to work, I can easily spot 3-4 P Platers driving restricted vehicles such as V8 and Turbo Nissans. Those numbers would easily increase. If implementing the restriction rules didn't achieve what they were meant to, they would have been lifted wouldn't they?

2000 RX Gen 3 Liberty - Sold

http://www.subyclub....-2000-gen-3-rx/

2004 BMW E46 325i Manual - Current weekend warrior

2003 Gen 3 Outback H6 Manual - Current Daily

http://www.subyclub....uild-pic-heavy/

#23 AB501UT!0N

AB501UT!0N

Blitzen...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Fish and IT!

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:07 PM

Let the P platers drive telstars and Astras for a few years..

I agree completely and I'm still on my P's

#24 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:31 PM

Its good in theory, but i think it would be easier just to relax the ban list. The problem i see with it, is that P-Platers will push and push the boundaries and flaunt with it.

They may very well use a kw/t formula but like what others are saying, what stops a P-Plater getting a stock WRX and adding mods that cannot be seen easily ( ECU,turbos,MBC's ect ) to push outside the legal kw/t bracket.

I honestly think it will be a shitfight, and after they do that, the next thing will be an even bigger blitz, putting the pressure on harder for modified car enthusiasts.

But on the contrary, if a P-Plater drives like a fool in ANY car be it a nugget or a monster, there will be fatalities. This again boils down the complete utter lack of young driver education and training.

When i did the Ian Luff Advanced Driver courses ( 1 & 2 ) i learnt from the man himself that what we were doing there, only a sad miserly 1% of the population will ever learn. The sad fact is the government would rather use Speed Kills scare tactics and speed cameras to pull the wool over our eyes, than actually invest in a state funded driver training course/s for young and new drivers.

You get your license and you've learnt how to park and use an indicator, you lose traction on a wet bend and your toast because you didn't know what to do and the government wont invest in training you. I honestly think its irresponsible and selfish of the govt to blame everything else on young driver deaths.

The govt. should at least commit to a collaboration with an advanced driver training group and offer subsidies and discounts of courses when L-Platers receive their P's. At least the incentive is there then..

'04 Liberty GT Premium "The Sprog Chariot"

#25 Jordan

Jordan

Jordyshore

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,017 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:52 AM

"how do i make my turbo suby as slow as a NA suby so i can drive it legally"

Hahahahha

But if this law does pass, some turbo subarus will be legal

RS turbos
Forester gt and I think Xt

Silvias and 180s

As much as I want it, I'd have to say the the power to weight ratio is too high for some cars. Sure, I drive like a dickhead p plater quite a bit, but I know what I can and can't do. Others don't and will take this too far for sure

Jordan - MY02 Forester GT - Sydney

#26 Meadyy8

Meadyy8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 06:13 PM

http://www.rms.nsw.g...s-1-august.html

so this could be interesting...

#27 Samwise

Samwise

Official official of the official.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,434 posts
  • Interests:Taste so good, make you wanna slap yo' mama.

Posted 25 June 2014 - 06:24 PM

What they don't tell you, is that even if a car is under 130kw/tonne, if it's still high performance it will still be banned.

Like the WRX's, 120kw/tonne or something, but because they can do 0-100 in 6 seconds or so, they're still a banned high performance vehicle.

I like to think of it as borrowing someone's car and driving it better than them.

#28 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts
  • Interests:Taking a poo

Posted 27 June 2014 - 04:16 PM

Heard there was like an extra 600 cars that P platers can drive as of the 1st August.

IM47Gcv.jpg

#29 Liberty

Liberty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,869 posts
  • Interests:tl;dr

Posted 14 July 2014 - 02:04 PM

My birthday. :)

There was an S15 on red P-plates that had a pretty big accident and a few other accidents over the past week. I find it funny that they class EVERY person with a modified car a hoon. Damn media. I wouldn't be surprised if this law only lasts a year.

Wanting to buy/looking for: single genuine STi rim, genuine STi front lip, Corazon or Zero/Sports grille and another OEM grille

Can you hook a brother up? Please contact me now. I have cash ready.

~

3fxl2Ca.jpg

~

2006 Liberty MY06 3.0R SpecB wagon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users