#1 skillionaire

skillionaire

Mr. Freshley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:22 PM

Hi,

Well. We've rabbited on about it for a minute now. So here it is. BBQ thread.

This was my first foray into smoking meat, and while it definitely wasn't perfect, I am not discouraged - only encouraged to keep trying.

Alright. Here we go.

Posted Image

I bought the Jack Daniels smoke box and smoke chips from BBQ's Galore for $17. The rib rack was $13 from Bunnings. Bunnings has a dangerous BBQ section, and I had a bunch of other things, like thermometers (which I will buy now), flavoured chips, utensils, different style racks, etc. etc. But I was uncharacteristically restrained by a voice of reason, knowing I'd never really done it before, and I might not even like it, or it might be too much effort and be a waste of money.

So. Thirty bucks (assuming you own a BBQ) and you're good to go. Obviously you could just mod up a little take away container or similar with the chips in it, but I was keen on a Bourbon flavour.

Posted Image

800g/850g bone in Rib Eye's from the local butcher, cows reared literally a five minute drive from here (Just near Cow Brewery!). At this stage I have just salted the meat, which I left for a good half hour on advice from a friend in America.

Ribeye is a thick meat, it can stand up to hot smoking easily. The most important thing about smoking meats though, is that you have to drink beer while doing it... no wait.... that's not it...
Salting the meat quite a while before hand helps to develop what is called a pellicle on the meat, which helps the smoke to stick the the exterior of the meat and gets a proper 'smoky' taste.

Bloke is legit. He's never steered me wrong on culinary quests before.

Posted Image

This is the part that I know already. Flavours to go with red meat. So this was my meat rub;

Sea salt, Brown sugar, Black peppercorns, Garlic, Mustard seeds, Rosemary, Paprika, Ginger, Onion, Chilli

All dried except the rosemary, luckily I have a kitchen store room to raid, but it's pretty basic. Use that list as the most amount first, working down. I just did it by taste.

OK. So at this point I had an idea to experiment a little. I had two pieces of meat, so why not try two different cooking styles? If you start looking up smoking meat you'll find it a little bit confusing on a few fronts, the main one for me was the stage at which to sear the meat. For the amount of people saying you sear at the start, there's the same amount saying you sear at the end... and then there's probably the same again saying you don't sear/grill/char at all!

I decided to sear one up front, and sear the other at the end. So a full rub went on the meat that would not be seared, and just seasoning for the seared first piece.

Posted Image

Getting my flame on. In the left of that shot you can see the 'smokers box'; which houses this;

Posted Image

My first rookie move was not letting the smoke start before starting to cook.

Posted Image

Setup now with the upright rack, and a little alfoil underneath to keep the whole process an indirect heat, and for cleanliness. Posted Image

Aimed for 150c - nailed it. Haiiiyyooo!

Posted Image

Seared piece up front, unseared and heavily rubbed up back

Posted Image

Thirty minute mark. Pretty hard to take a photo of smoke, but the little box was chimney spec at this stage - hard to keep the smoke in there though (will explain).

Posted Image

Posted Image

Out at 40 minutes.

Posted Image

Wrapped up, fifteen minutes. They felt close to well done, I was pretty worried I'd just wasted a lot of effort.

Posted Image

First slice of the pre-seared piece, a slight amount of juice run, still nice and pink but definitely visually over done. Until I ate a piece. It was like buttermeat. Insanely tender, so much flavour, and all you could smell was smoky bourbon'y joy joy.

Posted Image

Unseared piece. Overcooked as well, probably could have taken both out after about 25 minutes, and extended the rest time. Tasted amazing though, the rub/smoke penetrated way further into the meat on this one. Really a tough choice between them.

So.

Issues;

Cooking time too long. I feel the temperature was right, it really sat around 150 the whole time.

Too windy/BBQ far from closed off - if you look at the pictures, there are gaping holes all over the thing - the hood is an option on this cheap'o BBQ. The wind was just sweeping through and stealing all my smoke!

Not putting the smoke box on early enough. Considering it will continue to happily smoke for over an hour, I will next time wait until it is puffing billy before I even sear the meat.

Not having the left side of the BBQ working (tourists broke it, wankers) so when I took the unseared piece off to do the end seal on it, I had to leave it for too long and it didn't even really colour up.

Not trimming a bit of the fat from the edge - the fat took on most of the smoke flavour, and the smoke didn't really penetrate the sides of the cut.

Bit long winded.

Anyway.

I'm definitely trying this again. Even with all those faults, it's one of the nicest steaks I've ever cooked. I am such a fuss pot when it comes to fat, and I could just eat it straight up.

Look forward to doing it again, and more so looking forward to seeing what you blokes come up with!

Cheers,
Nik

#2 ams

ams

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29,212 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:31 PM

Looks good!

I'm going to start collecting stuff to attempt this too.

Ugh i could ramble on for forking days about this stuff.

#3 skillionaire

skillionaire

Mr. Freshley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:32 PM

Hi,

The smoke flavour was awesome. So keen to shave up some of my own chips from what I showed you. Thought I should play it safe first time around.

Also, I really need a better seal on the BBQ. Not really giving it a sporting chance, so bloody windy down here this afternoon.

I am getting a nice thermometer for internal heat - may as well take the guess work out of it, eh? They're about $35 for a nice kitchen grade digital.

Cheers,
Nik

#4 ams

ams

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29,212 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:39 PM

Yup. Get the technique sorted then start fiddling with chips and flavours.

SOUNDS TOPS!

Ugh i could ramble on for forking days about this stuff.

#5 B4TT

B4TT

Soviet Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,547 posts
  • Interests:Rodina-Mat

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:25 PM

Fark, I am so getting some Jack Daniels chips this weekend and doing that!!!!

#6 peteRS

peteRS

Needs more cylinders...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,048 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:20 PM

Hell, I'm gonna jump on this...cooking is my 'true' passion :D
I would be 'wary' salting meat of that quality for quite so long. You are drawing moisture from the meat/muscle which is not what you want. Normally, salting like that is reserved for the "fat" on pork belly/loin etc or the outside of your lamb rack. All steaks need (even when 'Hot' smoking) is a rub of salt/pepper and olive oil just prior to applying to the grill. Your meat should be bought up to ambient (at least half hour out of the fridge) before cooking too, as it is a 'muscle' and will tense up (toughen) if thrown on the grill cold. You probably already know that though.
I also wouldn't recommend wrapping the foil quite so tightly upon resting...you don't want the meat to 'steam' but simply to remain 'warm'.
Smoking meats at home is quite hit and miss, but I reckon you had a full on crack at the title and bet it was damn tasty...certainly looks the goods.
An easy way to achieve a smoked flavour, is to buy 'liquid' smoke (various woodchip flavours) from somewhere like 'essential ingredient' and mix a few drops with your olive oil and baste during cooking.
If you guys are into bourbon flavoured BBQ things, try adding a splash of neat Bourbon to some 'smoked' bbq sauce and add a few drops of tabasco...BLAM!

#7 skillionaire

skillionaire

Mr. Freshley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:30 PM

Hi,

Yeah the foil is barely even touching the meat, phone photos. But duly noted..

I read about liquid smoke, but doesn't seem as fun as using shavings from my own Bourbon barrels.

:)

I'm very much looking forward to having another crack. It'll be either pork or chicken next Sunday/Monday.

Cheers,
Nik

#8 peteRS

peteRS

Needs more cylinders...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,048 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:40 PM

Hi,

Yeah the foil is barely even touching the meat, phone photos. But duly noted..

I read about liquid smoke, but doesn't seem as fun as using shavings from my own Bourbon barrels.

I'm very much looking forward to having another crack. It'll be either pork or chicken next Sunday/Monday.

Cheers,
Nik

Playing with BBQ/Smoke flavour is win, no matter what...like pizza and sex, even when it's bad, its still pretty good.

#9 skillionaire

skillionaire

Mr. Freshley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:42 PM

Hi,

Indeed! Looking forward to seeing some of you blokes' efforts. Half the fun is figuring it out.

I will report back on the chicken after it's done.

Cheers,
Nik

#10 RX25SE

RX25SE

...............Car nerd................ now a H6 pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts
  • Interests:Cars with chrome bumpers!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:14 PM

I feel this thread goes exceptionally well with the Beer Thread.

If I told you I was a compulsive liar, would you believe me?

#11 skillionaire

skillionaire

Mr. Freshley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:38 AM

Hi,

Damn right.

Made up this sauce last night;

1 cup ketchup

2 tablespoons Dijon mustard

2 tablespoons dark brown sugar

2 tablespoons maple syrup

2 tablespoons cider vinegar

2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce

1 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper

2 shots of bourbon (I used Maker's)

2 large cloves garlic, finely chopped

Juice of 1/2 orange (1/8 cup)

Lost the wussy sauce, because the smell of flavour was already insane enough. Will try it over some meat tonight. With mushrooms. In a bun. Yummor.

Cheers,
Nik

#12 Adam

Adam

Snack down!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,970 posts
  • Interests:Not knowing things about stuff

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:07 AM

Pics and report please. I have all that gear at home!

Posted Image

#13 skillionaire

skillionaire

Mr. Freshley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:13 AM

Hi,

Will do, Adam! Having it for dinner. The sauce smells like it belongs on a big rib rack or similar.

Cheers,
Nik

#14 B4TT

B4TT

Soviet Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,547 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:49 AM

I will be doing Pork on the weekend instead of Lamb, thinking I should stick to one that I have already been playing around with doing, and try to get that perfected before I move on :D

Posted Image SC has some awesome threads.

#15 skillionaire

skillionaire

Mr. Freshley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:00 AM

Hi,

What cut of pork are you going for?

Cheers,
Nik

#16 Adam

Adam

Snack down!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,970 posts
  • Interests:Not knowing things about stuff

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:42 AM

Is it like a basting sauce? Or what?

And yes Josh. Awesome threads are awesome! Who cares about tech information :P

Posted Image

#17 skillionaire

skillionaire

Mr. Freshley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:40 PM

Hi,

It's an everything sauce!

Cheers,
Nik

#18 B4TT

B4TT

Soviet Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,547 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:14 PM

Nik, I have used Pork Belly (this turned out awesome) and this other cut is... I dunno, like a chunk of the stuff? haha but it also turns out nice, I just have to be more careful this time not to dry it out like I did last time.

#19 skillionaire

skillionaire

Mr. Freshley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:42 PM

Hi,

BBQ Sauce as per posted recipe;

Posted Image

Exploded view of the grub;
steak/mushroom/spring onion/ sawwsssss/ UK farmhouse Chedddaaah/ creamy mash/ Cowie roll//
Posted Image

Basically just smashed all that into the roll and put a lid on it. The sauce was Posted Image'ing insane. I'm bottling some up for sure.

Cheers,
Nik

#20 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Stereos, Electrical

Posted 09 February 2013 - 03:40 AM

How do people cook a large amount of meat on their BBQs? I favour cooking the steaks first, but to a rare stage then put them up on the rack above the plate while I cook the larger chops, burgers and then the snags last. I seem to be having pretty good success with this.

Was wondering how others work it?

This smoking idea sounds awesome too, certainly going to have to give it a try once I can get the gear...

MY00 Red RX, a nice daily that was sold off once the B4 became reliable...
MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY03 White/Silver H6 Outback, donor car for silver waghoon.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users