• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#41 Shiv

Shiv

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,741 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:42 PM

Wait until the fuel light comes on. Then you've got 8L or so, I believe...

If you're filling up 46L, your fuel light wouldn't have come on. Don't go by the gauge, go by the light. Even once the light comes on, you can travel significant distances. 

liftbacktestCustom3_zps39c01efc.jpg

#42 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts
  • Interests:Taking a poo

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:59 PM

Yup - fuel tank on a BH is 64L.

The light is supposed to come on when there is 9L of fuel left - which on a NA BH, should give you about 100km of driving before you run the thing dry.

IM47Gcv.jpg

#43 Joss

Joss

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 01:52 PM

Oh ok, thanks for the tips. 
At first I questioned whether my fuel light even worked due to the gauge being so far out. 
I have had my fuel light turn on and off before. But I presume that would have just been fuel sloshing or something

Anyway, torqued to spec is just the manuals way of saying 'we couldn't get it any tighter, see if you can'.

#44 Shiv

Shiv

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,741 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 02:12 PM

Oh ok, thanks for the tips. 
At first I questioned whether my fuel light even worked due to the gauge being so far out. 
I have had my fuel light turn on and off before. But I presume that would have just been fuel sloshing or something

On my BH Outback, the needle would be over the empty mark before the light came on, so I think you can run your car a little drier in the future if you want :)

liftbacktestCustom3_zps39c01efc.jpg

#45 Zac

Zac

1544C

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,686 posts
  • Interests:Stuff

Posted 12 November 2013 - 02:20 PM

On my BH Outback, the needle would be over the empty mark before the light came on, so I think you can run your car a little drier in the future if you want :)

I wouldn't want to... dirty fuel and all... so will fill up before light is on... maybe even before needle is before E line...

2002 B4 Rev E

2004 Outback Premium 3.0R

#46 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts
  • Interests:Taking a poo

Posted 12 November 2013 - 02:24 PM

Filling up after the light comes on and running until it's dry are different things though.

IM47Gcv.jpg

#47 Joss

Joss

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 05:17 PM

Just filled up about 5 minutes ago after driving round with the fuel light on all day and only had room for 43lt. Fair to say Subaru weren't amazing with their fuel gauges from that year

Anyway, torqued to spec is just the manuals way of saying 'we couldn't get it any tighter, see if you can'.

#48 Meadyy8

Meadyy8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 08:27 PM

Subaru fuel gauges are all pretty shonky. My gen 2. From the 60l tank(pretty sure) I get a minimum of 600km per tank. Fuel light comes on with about 10l to go. Have had 850km+ out of a tank before. All be it all hwy kays an sitting between 90/100kmh.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk

#49 WillC

WillC

Scrappy Coco the 2nd! Disc0 Disc0

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts
  • Interests:Suby, HOONda, Chasing magical unicorns, turbos. Fruit loops
    Most things with a pulse. Most things that tick and have electric.

Posted 12 November 2013 - 09:14 PM

I've only ever seen the Fuel light once in my life. Thought it was the CEL light and freaked out. LOL

Toy's Garry

Address : 8/88 Seville Street
Fairfield East NSW 2161
PH : (02) 9755 9882

#50 RacerX

RacerX

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 276 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Gaming.....

Posted 11 December 2013 - 04:04 PM

So is there something wrong with the gauge?.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#51 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Stereos, Electrical

Posted 11 December 2013 - 04:31 PM

No, nothing wrong with the gauge at all. Because of the split tank (the tank sits in front of the rear axle, and has the tail shaft tunnel in the centre of it), the low fuel light comes on a bit earlier than a car with a tank behind the rear axle. Turbo Gen 3's are bad for fuel surge at low fuel levels because of the split tank (if thrashing, they arent too bad for normal driving, as less cornering force gives the tanks more time to share their fuel loads). The higher pickup point of low fuel light helps this to a degree.

MY00 Red RX, a nice daily that was sold off once the B4 became reliable...
MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY03 White/Silver H6 Outback, donor car for silver waghoon.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#52 RacerX

RacerX

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 276 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Gaming.....

Posted 11 December 2013 - 04:51 PM

No, nothing wrong with the gauge at all. Because of the split tank (the tank sits in front of the rear axle, and has the tail shaft tunnel in the centre of it), the low fuel light comes on a bit earlier than a car with a tank behind the rear axle. Turbo Gen 3's are bad for fuel surge at low fuel levels because of the split tank (if thrashing, they arent too bad for normal driving, as less cornering force gives the tanks more time to share their fuel loads). The higher pickup point of low fuel light helps this to a degree.

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users