• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 HowFarToAsgaard

HowFarToAsgaard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 08:15 AM

I found my old Alpjne CDA-9855 in the shead and was wondering if its worth using as a output device and have something like a Pioneer appRadio passing through it. The 9855 is a old unit but last I remember it was a awsem unit. Full time correction awsem Xover feature and a real 7 band eq and heeps other cool stuff it was a realy good unit so I was wondering if its worth holding on to it and have another radio running in the AUX? Or will this be a pain in the ass every time I start up?

#2 SUBARU

SUBARU

Massive Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 11:45 AM

I can't see any point in doing this.

#3 HowFarToAsgaard

HowFarToAsgaard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 02:13 PM

Well as i mentioned this unit has alot of nice fetures such as full 6-Channel Digital Time Correction,6-Position Digital Crossover with Adjustable Slope, 7-band graphic EQ, Alpine MediaXpander and a whole bunch of other stuff. theres not many units that offer this sorta stuff for a price that most can aford. These days most alpine units make you get the PXA-H100 to access these features. Id use it on its own but its a bit out dated as to the interface. So i was hoping to go with a AppRadio and having it pass though the Alpine

So yeh i do see some sort of point to this but just wondering if its going to be a hassle

#4 acres

acres

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 02:38 PM

That won't do what you are trying to achieve. I also have this head unit (an early gen though) and the features it offers are brilliant but you can't control things like volume, play, pause, switch songs through another headunit. The alpine unit just accesses a music database through an ipod, cd changer etc. but all control of song selection, volume etc., is still made through the headunit. So even if you could somehow connect a second unit to the aux in, you would still need to have the alpine unit displayed to control everything.
Just stick with the alpine, it is an awesome bit of kit.

#5 RX25SE

RX25SE

...............Car nerd................ now a H6 pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts
  • Interests:Cars with chrome bumpers!

Posted 09 March 2013 - 03:05 PM

Watching this one.......

If I told you I was a compulsive liar, would you believe me?

#6 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,135 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Stereos, Electrical

Posted 09 March 2013 - 04:17 PM

I see what he is trying to do with this, but I don't see the point. You would need both units visable and accessible (due to audio control from the alpine unit, and song control from the pioneer). So you may as well just use the alpine unit (as it is the better unit from an audio perspective).

The other way of acheiving this is with a sound processor with external amps. One of the blokes I work with has a system setup like this (and it sounds unreal). The sound processor allows for complete custom setups and full tuning abilities, time correction, full crossover control (and I mean real control - 1db slope adjustment increments, select any frequency, not just a select few), etc. It will also crap all over the 7 band EQ of the alpine unit, as most audiophile processors have at least 11 channel EQs. More expensive yes, but hell of a lot better quality than a 600 dollar HU.

Certainly going to watch what happens here, and will help with whatever info I can, but with the info you have given so far, that is my opinion.

Cheers,
Ben

MY00 Red RX, a nice daily that was sold off once the B4 became reliable...
MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY03 White/Silver H6 Outback, donor car for silver waghoon.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#7 HowFarToAsgaard

HowFarToAsgaard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 04:57 PM

Well main reason im thinking of doing this is because its cost effective being that i already own the unit. I would use just the 9855 but its a bit out dated and no satnav but has good audio features. I have seen a guy on youtube useing a Pioneer DEX-p99RS and haveing a Pioneer SPH-DA10 playing though the AUX input.

This is the same setup im aiming at but just useing the Alpine CDA-9855 instead of the p99RS.
And also being that its going into a Liberty i have an extra space for for a 3rd unit so its all good.
So all i need is the Alpine AI-Net AUX input cable.

#8 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,135 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Stereos, Electrical

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:39 AM

If you dont mind having both units accessible and above/below each other, I dont see a problem. Use one for audio control, and the other for song. A bit awkward for new comers, but once you are used to it it shouldnt be a problem. I initially thought you wanted to hide the alpine unit.
Make sure you use the pre-outs on the pioneer unit. Going to be interesting to see what you do for volume control, as the pre outs are still controlled by the volume knob. And running an amp (even the inbuilt HU one) will not like being maxed out for a long period.

MY00 Red RX, a nice daily that was sold off once the B4 became reliable...
MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY03 White/Silver H6 Outback, donor car for silver waghoon.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#9 HowFarToAsgaard

HowFarToAsgaard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:43 PM

Finally got my head unit in. According to pioneer they have no plans in releasing this unit to Australia and continue to sell the older unit at twise the price I paid for the newer unit.
Anyway this is the set up that I'm planing on doing.
Been a while since iv installed a unit before. If anyone can tell me what wires are what will save me allot if time

Attached Files

#10 nickknack

nickknack

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:50 PM

Get a harness adaptor from supercheap for around $15. The wires are labeled so its super easy. The brand is aerpro or something like that I think.

#11 HowFarToAsgaard

HowFarToAsgaard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 01:00 PM

Yeh I can never find the Subaru harness there always out
The alpine harness alleyway has been terminated with a connector already. Unsure what its made for or where I can get the male connector

#12 simon

simon

Mr POINTY

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,096 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 01:05 PM

Order one or the best bet would be a Car audio/Auto electrics, as they will have every thing you need & you can ask questions.

SOLD Legacy GTB 

SOLD Gen 1 RS turbo wagon

SOLD Gen2 Outback limited

Car less atm.......Whats next??

#13 HowFarToAsgaard

HowFarToAsgaard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 01:12 PM

Time is my problem never got enough lol. Have find as much as I can on the net and then do it when I got time.
Week ends mostly everyone is shut.
Also I'm gonna be booking 2 units up so unsure if I'm gona have to make my own harness up

#14 HowFarToAsgaard

HowFarToAsgaard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 01:18 PM

Also iv lost the alpine harness
How do u go about getting one of them

#15 Tim.

Tim.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,024 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:37 PM

Aerpro also make Alpine harnesses (see below). You can actually buy a Alpine to ISO and ISO to Subaru harness which makes installing car audio gear dead simple. That's if you run speakers off your headunit.

http://www.ebay.com....=item45f8c1a01d

#16 HowFarToAsgaard

HowFarToAsgaard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:48 PM

nah im gonna use me JL XD400
also is it worth using the factory harness that goes from the unit to the amp? or just run a set of RCA's?

#17 Tim.

Tim.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,024 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:51 PM

Just run your own. Beats screwing around with pinouts and soldering RCAs on the end of wiring looms just to save $5-$10 + easier to troubleshoot

#18 HowFarToAsgaard

HowFarToAsgaard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 07:46 PM

yeh so i thought
Is this the same as the speaker cables aswell?

#19 Tim.

Tim.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,024 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:19 AM

Speaker cable, contrary to popular belief - the stuff in the loom is fine.

For the power lever and the distance of cable being run <5m, there are no gains to be had from replacing speaker cable.

#20 HowFarToAsgaard

HowFarToAsgaard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:52 PM

OK finaly got the old uni out and i ran into a problem.
I got one of those Aerpro Subaru adapters and turns out it wont fit to the connector for the McIntosh system.
dose anyone make em for the mac systems or am i going to have to make my own?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users