• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#21 Tim.

Tim.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,024 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:19 AM

Or there may be nothing much you can do to get it working. Anyway, good luck and report back with your findings. In the end there must be a solution out there!

HowFarToAsgaard, Which model, spec, country of delivery, B4 do you have?

#22 HowFarToAsgaard

HowFarToAsgaard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:31 AM

2003 MY03 B4
I'm not too worried if it don't work i rather find out first hand then dojbg hours of research. It's only like 100 bucks and I can't find much info on about this sorta stuff and nothing is straight forward. So yeh ill try it out and let yas all know how it gose

#23 nickknack

nickknack

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:38 AM

If you are talking B4 - depending on which model of course, but most devices will not connect. I have tried multiple devices from cheap bluetooth OBD dongles to cheap USB OBD cables to expensive Tactrix cables and have not yet had success.

From the research i've done, in the earlier B4s the OBD port is not a true standard OBD spec port and only connects via SSM (Subaru Select Monitor?) which explains the trouble i've had in connecting to it and reading live data from it. This was why I was rather happy when i found this info (http://www.subarufor...rks-ssm-120972/) as i have a paid version of torque. Nickknack, if you do try one of these before me, let us know!

For reference, my engine/ecu is out of a 1999 Legacy RSK.

I have ordered one :D I have an android tablet in my dash so if I can get live boost gauges etc I will be cheering. From reading on the torque forums, some people have got it to work, some haven't, so I took the plunge and will have a go.

I have an MY02 AUDM B4 and I'll report back here as soon as I get the obdkey.

#24 Zac

Zac

1544C

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,686 posts
  • Interests:Stuff

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:54 AM

Yep OBD II. Look pritty
Here's more info if ya wana look up. It looks high quality from what I can see and alota people recommend them

http://www.plxdevice...php?id=GSSTWIFI

I have an Android...

Crazy how just the year makes such a diff in this cable working or not... sometimes it just comes down to luck I guess...

2002 B4 Rev E

2004 Outback Premium 3.0R

#25 Delete This Account

Delete This Account

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,635 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:59 AM

The B4 OBD port is shit.

I couldn't read anything from it except for CEL codes with my scanner. Worked perfectly on a later model Liberty though.

My bet is it wont work, but good luck with it.

#26 nickknack

nickknack

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:06 AM

The B4 OBD port is shit.

I couldn't read anything from it except for CEL codes with my scanner. Worked perfectly on a later model Liberty though.

That's why I'm trying one that uses the SSM protocol, not OBD. If it works, it transfers information faster than OBD so gauges should update better.... if it works hahaha

#27 Tim.

Tim.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,024 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:08 AM

The B4 OBD port is shit.

That it is!

#28 Zac

Zac

1544C

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,686 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:09 AM

The B4 OBD port is shit.

Only time will tell I guess... but would be awesome to be able to read stats on my B4 on my Android...

2002 B4 Rev E

#29 HowFarToAsgaard

HowFarToAsgaard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:21 AM

Palmer tell me that it will work with the BE5 B4 in America.
Is it possible to just install a Port from a US model B4 or is this defeating the purpose?

#30 nickknack

nickknack

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:38 AM

Yes... along with all the sensors, ECU, and engine wiring harness. Also there was no USDM turbo gen3s so it may be a little difficult...

#31 HowFarToAsgaard

HowFarToAsgaard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:13 PM

Well if I can't get it to work with my B4 ill just add it to my silvia

#32 tmh983

tmh983

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:53 PM

All B4's should work with a SSM2 reader. SSM2 is faster and has more info that obd2 anyway.
I made a SSM2 reader in my backyard skunkworks, it works on my '99JDM TT, i've tried it on a AUDM B4, and a '05 forester and they work also.
Gen 2 motors will work with a SSM1 reader, buts its harder cos you need to know the memory addresses for all the variables.

Unless your cable is compatible with SSM2, i doubt you will get much out of it.

If anyone in newcastle wants to try out my home-brew cable then they are welcome to come round and try it. I'd be interested to learn what other cars it can also read.

#33 Zac

Zac

1544C

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,686 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 02:14 PM

All B4's should work with a SSM2 reader. SSM2 is faster and has more info that obd2 anyway.
I made a SSM2 reader in my backyard skunkworks, it works on my '99JDM TT, i've tried it on a AUDM B4, and a '05 forester and they work also.
Gen 2 motors will work with a SSM1 reader, buts its harder cos you need to know the memory addresses for all the variables.

Unless your cable is compatible with SSM2, i doubt you will get much out of it.

If anyone in newcastle wants to try out my home-brew cable then they are welcome to come round and try it. I'd be interested to learn what other cars it can also read.

Wow... you made your own? nice... I'm going to have to look into this SSM2 cable thing...

2002 B4 Rev E

#34 tmh983

tmh983

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 02:52 PM

Yeah, its actually a lot easier than you would think, but then again, i'm an electrical engineer... haha

#35 Zac

Zac

1544C

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,686 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 02:58 PM

Haha... makes sense... I'm a software test engineer though... :(

How do I get my hands on one of these babies...

2002 B4 Rev E

#36 yannsB4

yannsB4

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 03:40 PM

Haha... makes sense... I'm a software test engineer though... :(

How do I get my hands on one of these babies...

I bought one about a month ago, doesnt work on my B4. I thought it was because it's been tuned by pulse (uniquely written definition file aparently- effectively locked). but if it's this, you can use mine for testing purposes?

BTW, mines an ELM327- cheap ebay clone, don't know if that makes it impossible or not

1994 Mitsubishi Magna | 1992 BMW 325i | 2001 Subaru Liberty B4

Posted Image

#37 Zac

Zac

1544C

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,686 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 03:45 PM

I bought one about a month ago, doesnt work on my B4. I thought it was because it's been tuned by pulse (uniquely written definition file aparently- effectively locked). but if it's this, you can use mine for testing purposes?

BTW, mines an ELM327- cheap ebay clone, don't know if that makes it impossible or not

That might be worth a shot... try being buying... LOL!

Might also help to know if mine has a MRT tune on it, or if the ECU is really swapped with a stock

2002 B4 Rev E

#38 MrSober88

MrSober88

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 971 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 04:51 PM

I assume that bluetooth one won't work on MY00?

On the other hand -If Subaru send their vehicles to the USA it had OBD2, it had to be to get into the country, and When Subaru import into Australia - NO OBD2 as it was not required. They changed that in 2002 when they activated their OBD2 systems on all their vehicles into Australia.

#39 Zac

Zac

1544C

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,686 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 06:28 PM

I assume that bluetooth one won't work on MY00?

On the other hand -If Subaru send their vehicles to the USA it had OBD2, it had to be to get into the country, and When Subaru import into Australia - NO OBD2 as it was not required. They changed that in 2002 when they activated their OBD2 systems on all their vehicles into Australia.

Hmmm I have a 2002 MY03... I might have ODB2 then.. but then again some guys on here have a newer car, but cable doesn't work for them...

2002 B4 Rev E

#40 tmh983

tmh983

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 06:47 PM

zig_zac, even if your car does support obd2, don't bother with it, you want something that can read SSM2, it will work heaps better and give u more info and faster... And unless the ecutek has disabled it, your car is 100% SSM2 compatible.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users