#1 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,456 posts
  • Interests:Docking

Posted 16 May 2013 - 05:14 PM

I recently installed a Google Nexus 7 in my BD and thought some of you would like to know how i did it. This is in no way a concrete guide, more of a "how I did it". You may find a better way of doing it. There is some assumed knowledge of how the dash goes together

I havent 100% finished myself. I need to drill some holes so i can access the hardware buttons incase of freezes and such

On the hardness scale i give it a 5.5/10. You will need to cut up your dash parts so i suggest getting some spares from a wrecker

Im doing this after the event so dont have any pictures of the cutting and all that

NB I used a head unit with an AUX in for the audio. If you dont have one this wont really be possible unless youre a wizard with wires

Parts Needed

1 headunit with AUX in (3.5mm jack) $100?~
1 Google Nexus 7 $200 for a factory refurb off ebay
1 Right angle micro usb cable $5 off ebay
1 USB car cigarette lighter. People have told me you need at least 2.1A to charge the nexus. $20~
1 Right angle 3.5mm audio cable $5 off ebay
2 3 or 4 inch metal strips (a metal that bends easily is ideal)
Some tape
Velcro with adhesive on the back. About 30cm or 12" $7~ from bunnings
1 dremel or equivalent rotary tool with cutting wheel and sanding thing. You might be able to use hand tools, would take a while though $50
1 second gen Liberty/Legacy ;) $4500~

Heres how I did it

1. Remove the cup holder and lower dash trim piece, then remove your headunit and all the junk in there. Im assuming you know how to do this

2. Open your glove box and remove the roof/top of it. There are 2 clip things at the top that you can just lever out quite easily. It takes some pulling and fidgeting to come out. Im not sure if its meant to come out by its self or if i broke it lol
Posted Image
Posted Image
3. This is where it gets fiddly. You need to make your head unit and wires live in the glove box. There is a gap you can feed the wiring harness through in the top (left? on LHD). Hence removing the roof part. As you can see mines upside down and side ways. Still works though
Posted Image
4. Now get your lower dash trim piece on a work bench and get out your cutting tools. On the back side of it, where the radio sits there is a little "lip" thing. You need to cut this off and get it smooth so the nexus sits flush and looks sexy
Posted Image
Make this ^ like this V
Posted Image
5. Get your pieces of metal. I had to cut mine so i wrapped the sharp edges in tape. Bend the metal into an L shape that will support the back of the nexus. Attach the velcro to the nexus and the metal so that they stick to each other. I stuck the soft side onto my nexus so if i take it out it doesnt feel unpleasant.
Posted Image
6.(Turns out this is optional if you can get it lined up properly in the gap) Back in the car, stick some pieces of velcro to horizontal piece of the dash where the trim piece screws into. The metal brackets should stop the nexus from falling back and from being pushed in when you tap it. Thats the plan at least
Posted Image
7. At the top of the hole, beneath the HVAC controls there is another horizontal support. Either cut small pieces or one big piece of velcro and stick it along there. This supports the top of the nexus
Posted Image
8. Do a rough install of how it will sit and get your wires into the power and your head unit

9. Put the trim piece back on and make sure it looks and works ok before you screw it back in completely.

10. ????
Posted Image
11. Profit
Posted Image

Like I said this will probably need some of your own engineering as im not much of an explainer

tIeW8DE.png

#2 Beckers

Beckers

OMAR Cubt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
  • Interests:Docking and eating dry meat, Living lyf in the TT VOD

Posted 16 May 2013 - 06:26 PM

Nice job Nick.

#3 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,456 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 12:37 AM

Cheers, will need some more tinkering but im sick of working on it for now lol

tIeW8DE.png

#4 FR34KO

FR34KO

GRANDMA's BOY

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,461 posts
  • Interests:SNOWBOARDING.

Posted 17 May 2013 - 01:07 AM

Sweet, I especially like how it's landscape as opposed to the portrait of the Ipads
Additionally allows for the retaining of the air con controls there

#5 Samwise

Samwise

Official official of the official.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,434 posts
  • Interests:Taste so good, make you wanna slap yo' mama.

Posted 17 May 2013 - 01:11 AM

Sweet, I especially like how it's landscape as opposed to the portrait of the Ipads
Additionally allows for the retaining of the air con controls there

Well they're separate in the Gen 2.
Check Nick's B4 for this in a Gen 3.

Tablet install definitely looks good. I'm looking for maybe a 5 or 6 inch one that one takes up 2 din. Even thinking about hard wiring my gps.

I like to think of it as borrowing someone's car and driving it better than them.

#6 nickknack

nickknack

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 01:54 AM

I put my head unit under the passenger seat, I wanted to keep my glovebox free. I picked up a 2.1A USB charger today as well to see if that will fix my battery issues, and apparently there is a ROM made specifically for Nexus 7 car installs out there, I might try that out too, more details in the android tablet thread on lib.asn. Also updated the stock music player today, colours are horrible :dash2: looks much worse haha.

#7 Tim.

Tim.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,024 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 10:33 AM

Winamp is a good experience on android. I think it might even sound better too. (speaking very subjectively though - check it out and see what you think)

#8 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,456 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 11:11 AM

I need to get an equalizer. Not enough bass for my liking lol. Ive heard good things about winamp for it.

tIeW8DE.png

#9 Tim.

Tim.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,024 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 12:58 PM

Yep, worth paying the $4 for the Winamp pro version to get the EQ

#10 Adam

Adam

Snack down!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,970 posts
  • Interests:Not knowing things about stuff

Posted 17 May 2013 - 01:00 PM

WINAMP!!

Memories flooding back!

Posted Image

#11 Samwise

Samwise

Official official of the official.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,434 posts
  • Interests:Taste so good, make you wanna slap yo' mama.

Posted 17 May 2013 - 01:47 PM

I put my head unit under the passenger seat, I wanted to keep my glovebox free. I picked up a 2.1A USB charger today as well to see if that will fix my battery issues, and apparently there is a ROM made specifically for Nexus 7 car installs out there, I might try that out too, more details in the android tablet thread on lib.asn. Also updated the stock music player today, colours are horrible :dash2: looks much worse haha.

Have you done a DIY for a Nexus 7 into a Gen 3?

I like to think of it as borrowing someone's car and driving it better than them.

#12 nickknack

nickknack

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 01:59 PM

Nope. Trial and error will get you there :P There's a few pics in my build thread, ask me if you have any questions though!

#13 Adam

Adam

Snack down!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,970 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 02:01 PM

Can you get the radio still?

Posted Image

#14 nickknack

nickknack

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 02:03 PM

Yeah there are plenty of apps. But I prefer my music or internet radio/pandora

#15 Adam

Adam

Snack down!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,970 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 02:03 PM

Do you need an fm attachment or something?

Posted Image

#16 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,456 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 02:04 PM

Can you get the radio still?

I can cos ive just put it in the glove box. Dont know about nicknacks implementation

tIeW8DE.png

#17 nickknack

nickknack

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 02:22 PM

Nah just internet I'm pretty sure. WIll download an app and check for you on the way home

#18 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,456 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 02:52 PM

I believe you can do things with USB Y Cables and hubs and get FM radio through the USB cable. Pretty sure you can do TV as well

tIeW8DE.png

#19 nickknack

nickknack

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 10:56 PM

Nah just internet I'm pretty sure. WIll download an app and check for you on the way home

Forgot to reply to this. An app called tune in radio picks up all my local radio stations with ease, just over 3G. Also has radio from all over australia and the world, can sort by genre etc.

I rooted and flashed a custom ROM onto my nexus over the weekend, should allow for quicker charging and deep sleep. I have decided I'm going to go DAC and usb music now that this rom allows it as well.
Playing around with home screens at the moment. Obviously more icons will be added in either of the styles, this is just me messing around

Thinking about big buttons:
Posted Image

Or something fancier :sarcastic:

Posted Image

#20 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,456 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 11:05 PM

Could you post a link to the ROM? Im having charging issues. Tends to drain faster than i can charge it

tIeW8DE.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users