←  General Discussion

Suby Club

»

Made redundant thanks to the government

SUBARU's Photo SUBARU 21 Jul 2013

Hi guys,

What a wild week.

I went to work at nlc Pty Ltd as normal on Tuesday morning. At 11am, Kevin Rudd and Chris Bowen held a press conference announcing the cut of a fixed carbon tax rate and a fast track of Emissions Trading Scheme. In the same announcement they have severely damaged the auto industry by scrapping Fringe Benefits Tax on motor vehicles.

What does this mean?
It means that hundreds of businesses, such as the one I worked for are now unable to sell salary packaged novated lease products.
It means that hundreds of thousands of new vehicle purchases now won't go ahead.
It means that local vehicle manufacturing will be placed under significant stress.
It means people who are provided with fully maintained company vehicles may not be able to drive them for private purposes anymore.
It means finance companies will lose business.
It means insurance providers won't write business.
It means aftermarket installers lose business on accessories that would have normally been ordered at time of purchase.
It means the government road traffic authorities lose money on new vehicle registrations.
It means that middle class Australians are being placed under significant stress, all while the Labor Government are stating that it was a rort and a fat cat tax. Rubbish.

Most importantly, it means that thousands of hard working middle class Australians will lose their jobs, or like me, have already been made redundant.

I know it's a general forum rule not to get political, but Kevin Rudd is nothing but a megalomaniac with a short sighted vision to win a popularity contest.

He doesn't care about the people of this country.

Do yourselves and your families a favour and vote liberal.

If you currently have a novated lease and have any questions, let me know. If you need further clarification about what has been axed and the truth of its operation, rather than government spin, let me know.

http://www.news.com....s-1226682214472

http://www.brw.com.a...IrAq8hbPUOG5SdO

RX25SE's Photo RX25SE 21 Jul 2013

Sorry to hear that Chris.

If it makes you feel better, I won't be voting Labor.

Thanks Jas, glad to hear it!

Morgan's Photo Morgan 21 Jul 2013

Not good at all, Chris.

Both my parents cars are on novated leases. Does it affect existing leases or just new ones?

WALKER's Photo WALKER 21 Jul 2013

as a point of difference..

I work in the car industry, and I'll still be voting labour.

Morgs, their leasing company should run their leases through to their expiry. They will be affected if they materially change the lease though, such as change of employer or a recosting of their account.
They will also be affected at end of lease with the only option being a payout of the residual and taking up a regular consumer finance product.

Morgan's Photo Morgan 21 Jul 2013

Interesting. Will have a chat to dad and see what he thinks of it all.

He is the employer so there won't be any change there ;) He was going to sell the WRX and get something new in the next 12 months... That might not happen now...

Walker, you may need to punch yourself in the face..!

as a point of difference..
I work in the car industry, and I'll still be voting labour.

That is strange indeed, seeing as though they've done their best to fork it up. What part of the industry are you in?

Thanks Morgan :P

I personally, don't have a company vehicle. It won't affect me.
It will obviously affect the vehicle sales. 

I work for an automotive group. (sales, parts and service)

Though, I work in IT.

In my opinion, there's still to many positives to vote labour.

Yeah, a massive positive. They will positively continue building debt and positively continue forking up people's lives.

If you want one reason to change your mind, the government you support has without regard, put me and thousands of others out of work.
This threatens our families security.
This threatens vehicle sales being declined to a point that dealer groups such as yours start laying off staff in all departments, including IT.
I hope you look a little more deeply into this.

simon's Photo simon 21 Jul 2013

I will be voting liberal.

Shiv's Photo Shiv 21 Jul 2013

Shit go Chris :( Hope you sort something out soon for yourself, and likewise your collegues.

NLC's press release was very well written.

From what I've been reading in the news, the Government has done this to save themselves $1.8 billion over 4-years. I'm just thinking the money they could have saved if there wasn't so much financial mismanagement and wasteage during their term in office....

Josh.'s Photo Josh. 21 Jul 2013

Sorry to hear about that. Classic Labour move.

This sentence makes me laugh. A lot.

I certainly, did not mean to spark a political debate.

Shit go Chris :( Hope you sort something out soon for yourself, and likewise your collegues.

NLC's press release was very well written.

From what I've been reading in the news, the Government has done this to save themselves $1.8 billion over 4-years. I'm just thinking the money they could have saved if there wasn't so much financial mismanagement and wasteage during their term in office....

It will end up costing them more than 1.8b. Not well thought out at all. If the government wanted to raise more revenue, the more sensible solution would have been to retain FBT, but change the statutory rate from 20% to 30-35% and only allow locally manufactured vehicles with a particular green rating eligible for a novated lease.
That would massively boost local manufacturing and would also attract overseas manufacturers to setup shop here so they can get a piece of the pie.

Sorry to hear about that. Classic Labour move.
This sentence makes me laugh. A lot.

I know, CLASSIC labor.

Samwise's Photo Samwise 21 Jul 2013

Though, I work in IT.

Only reason to vote Labor. NBN. fork Abbott's internet bullshit fork-around.

ams's Photo ams 21 Jul 2013

I certainly, did not mean to spark a political debate.

I think that's the intention of this thread, so, go for it.

Yeah, go for it. Different courses for different horses.

Liberty's Photo Liberty 21 Jul 2013

Sad to hear mate. When I vote I make decisions based on what will benefit me and my family. I do hope everything works out for you though and we will see come September (that's when the next vote is on, right?) who the prime minister will be.

skillionaire's Photo skillionaire 21 Jul 2013

Hi,

The Labor party has done irreversible damage since their day of inception. The Australia we live in now is built on a lie and a massive debt, my children will be paying for the things that have come about due to a unionistic approach to the governing of our great nation. Stories like this one, right here, is the reason people need to understand Labor is reactionary and BROKE at the best of times - which means a quiet word or two, spoken in a conference about a political agenda ('boatpeople') gets swept aside, and people lose jobs. The only reason most of the people in this thread even know about this, is because of this thread. Stop me if I'm wrong.

Cheers,

Nik