←  General Discussion

Suby Club

»

Made redundant thanks to the government

Liberty's Photo Liberty 21 Jul 2013

my children

Wow, this new bird you've met must be the one Nik. ;)

skillionaire's Photo skillionaire 21 Jul 2013

Hi,

Haha. I've always wanted children. Just a matter of timing.

Anyway. No thread derail.

KILL LABOR NOW.

Destroyed the cattle industry.

Destroyed the sheep industry.

Slowly killing the grain industry.

Killed the dairy industry in WA.

HOW MUCH MORE DAMAGE NEEDS TO BE DONE BEFORE PEOPLE REALISE?!

Cheers,

Nik

bluebrz's Photo bluebrz 21 Jul 2013

The borrowing horse called labour just argues about who should be the jockey , instead of supporting Australia's industry.

I'm glad that we can soon vote to install a real government to look after our country.

DB24's Photo DB24 21 Jul 2013

So let me get this straight, novated leases are good for individuals as your lease payments are salary sacrified? The government is subsidising your new cars? And then an industry was built around this?

Surely the Libs wouldn't be keen on supporting people's cars.

The sooner we stop stupidly high payments to 'our' car manufactures, the better. If they can't produce something that people are interested in why should we encourage that.

Guest_KONG_* 21 Jul 2013

So let me get this straight, novated leases are good for individuals as your lease payments are salary sacrified? The government is subsidising your new cars? And then an industry was built around this?

The sooner we stop stupidly high payments to 'our' car manufactures, the better. If they can't produce something that people are interested in why should we encourage that.

Good & valid point.

Also....

http://www.crikey.co...switcher=mobile

Liberty's Photo Liberty 21 Jul 2013

An observation I have made. When Julia Gillard was the prime minister, everyone hated her and wished someone else was there. This someone else was Kevin Rudd. Now he is the prime minister, everyone wishes someone else was there.

If the Liberals win and Tony Abbott becomes the prime minister, won't the same thing happen?

Bear in mind that I have been a Liberal voter since I turned 18, as they were the party my parents voted for and provided me and my family with the most benefit. I am nowhere near politically minded though and at the end of the day, I really get turned off when that's all that seems to be splattered on our television screens. Fair enough it's for our future, but there are other things I'd like to watch like Top Gear, documentaries, lions running through the African savanna, etc.

I'm not as into it as some of you so I pretty much only know what's going on when topics such as these are posted. And if I can be bothered listening to a report on the news or from my dad.

SUBARU's Photo SUBARU 21 Jul 2013

That's exactly the response the labor government want you to be spreading.

Fringe Benefits Tax is not a rort. In fact, many government employees use novated leasing. The Government cars they all drive around in are subject to FBT.

A quick history lesson...

Prior to 1986, people were offered company cars for private use, paid for with 100% pre-tax dollars. The government recognised that this was indeed not a fair and equiltable system given that the cars often weren't used for majority business use and considerably lowered an individuals income tax; ergo, increased hip pocket savings.
The keating govt. introduced FBT, which opened up salary sacrificing to all employees, with the FBT statutory percentage of pre-tax contribution based on a sliding scale of kilometres travelled over the FBT year.
In 2011 that statutory rate was standardised to a flat 20%, with the assumption that the car might be used for business use.
So, it's an employee benefit, which the govt. can gain revenue from through Taxing the employees Fringe Benefit.
FBT still exists with the scrapping of the statutory method, but the govt. will gain more revenue from forcing 100% FBT on those who are running a log book method.

So, who's scamming who? That's right, the government are scamming everyday drivers and companies by forcing a 100% FBT rather than a 20% FBT.

tmh983's Photo tmh983 21 Jul 2013

you speaketh the truth brother.

WALKER's Photo WALKER 21 Jul 2013

I believe the only reason the goverment is in debt is because money has been spent.
I'd rather a goverment spending money and be in debt than a goverment in surplus and not spending it in areas that desperately need it.

I think that its common knowledge liberals are better for the high income earners where labour are better for the low-mid income earners.

@liberty

I completely agree, it seems whoever is in power seems to be hated.
I'm annoyed when people comment on the specific individual PM. Do they not understand its the party's policy. The PM doesn't simply introduce and implement a policy by themselves.

skillionaire's Photo skillionaire 21 Jul 2013

Hi,

It's LABOR, not labour.

People hate the fact that Kevin Rudd came back because he was ousted due to unpopularity - people hated having Julia Gillard in because we didn't vote for her, so she was never a real prime minister.

Also, every policy that works for low income earners was a Liberal implementation. Paid parental leave for males, anyone?!

And, I will add, Kevin did do this off his own back, and the only reason he could was because of the people that left during the union led overthrow of Julia.

It's not legislation yet though, so I don't really understand why people are losing their jobs. The whole thing sucks.

Cheers,

Nik

mark300's Photo mark300 21 Jul 2013

i work for a manufacturing company, and the vast majority of our work is the mining industry (basically we supply both the mines themselves and mining contractors)

over the last 6-9 months ive watched mines cut spending drastically, and ive watched as contractor after contractor (and for us customer) goes out of business, all thanks to the carbon tax and also the mining tax. 

3 weeks ago at work we all got called out for a big meeting at our work, and told that voluntary redundancies were on offer, and next was mandatory redundancies, and told it was all a direct relation to skyrocketing costs thanks to the carbon tax and the mines spending less. so far 5 people have lost their jobs at my place of work, and if things dont improve more will be coming unfortunately. the thought of having a redundancy hanging over your head definitely isnt pretty, and it makes you reconsider everything you do and every purchase you make as to its necessity. 

i personally wont be voting labor, neither will any of my family. 

portugese_gorilla's Photo portugese_gorilla 22 Jul 2013

I think part of the problem is the political system is a coin whereas it should be a dice. Rather than having only two major parties like in the US, which tends to lead to what seems to be more like bickering, rather than an actual debate.

SUBARU's Photo SUBARU 23 Jul 2013

For those that are interested; this video explains very well what Kevin Rudd and his band of spineless butt monkies have done to my industry and the broader automotive sector.

Adam's Photo Adam 23 Jul 2013

Would this affect businesses who lease fleet vehicles in any way? (I'm too lazy to research myself)

jack_keaka's Photo jack_keaka 23 Jul 2013

Sorry to hear that mate.
I still don't know who I want to vote for. All political parties are forked for their own reasons.
But I do know that Tony Abbott is an absolute idiot. All they need to do is change their leader and liberals would win.
Even when Julia was at her lowest approval rating, Abbott still wasn't a hot favourite.
He's the George Bush of Australia.
Even worse than voting for either party is donkey voting. That's a no no.
Hope you get some work very quickly mate.

SUBARU's Photo SUBARU 23 Jul 2013

Potentially.
Most 100% fleet/pool vehicles are usually fitted out with all the gear to track k's etc, so these will most likely continue on as usual.

Where it will likely affect a company/employees will be where a company has a fleet of vehicles which are supplied to employees as a tool of trade, which is subject to FBT. Early indications suggest that the employee could be penalised for taking that car home, which falls under the category of private use.
That could mean that employers are forced to ground their fleet to a pool and see a return of the very old school method of employees making their way to the office and booking out a pool car for business use only.

Sorry to hear that mate.
I still don't know who I want to vote for. All political parties are forked for their own reasons.
But I do know that Tony Abbott is an absolute idiot. All they need to do is change their leader and liberals would win.
Even when Julia was at her lowest approval rating, Abbott still wasn't a hot favourite.
He's the George Bush of Australia.
Even worse than voting for either party is donkey voting. That's a no no.
Hope you get some work very quickly mate.

Thanks mate, I hope I find something very soon too.

Do me a favour, don't look at the individual, look at the policies the party are offering.

Yeah I do, but recently I've just gotten sick and tired of all the 'he says, she says' bullshit. Like the boats, Abbott says "lets bring back the Howard glory days and turn them around" then Kevin brings in that policy and then Abbott turns around and say "we wouldn't have done that" fork off. It almost doesn't matter what either party promises cause they always do something worse

skillionaire's Photo skillionaire 23 Jul 2013

Hi,

Abbott never actually said that. Though that's what you might have picked up from loose headlines in the media.

Also, what K.Rudd proposed wasn't a proper policy, which was blatantly obvious on QandA last night. It's out there for all to see that they don't really understand it themselves, because Rudd has done what he always does, and made up policy on the run - without properly considering all sides. Which becomes an even more serious issue when your talking about international policies such as this.

A great point raised was; what about all the people fleeing Syria with no money...? 

Cheers,

Nik

Yeah I try and source my own info before making a judgement. My statement was heavily summarized.
I hate the media. It's too biased, as it is journalism when it should just be straight reporting. I watch all the parliament programmes on the ABC when I can. But I'm loosing interest.
But very very true. Rudd makes up policies on the fly just to win over voters.
However libs are sometimes way too conservative.
Just can't win.